2014 Arizona Basketball

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. Had nothing to do with the officials. When a team goes 10-12 from 3 in one half with some ridiculous prayer shots, there's literally nothing you can do. Texas Southern could've won with a performance like that. Even If Wisconsin were to miss three of those, they probably lose.

I would agree with a caveat, the first 5 or 6 were wide open. They hit a couple of really tough ones but that wsa in part because Dekker was rolling having hit the open ones.

You can't win when a team shoots that well, but it was a much bigger loss if UA didn't get all those FT's. It got ridiculous, Wisconsin literally couldn't not foul no matter what they did they got called.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... reread the post. I didn't say they were biased, but calling a game that way, where brush, every interior contest, every flop becomes a foul... its not the kind of officiating you usually see in the tournament and its a serious problem for team like Arizona that wins with defensive pressure.

And I didn't say thats what beat us either, it just took them out of their game. What killed the Cats was obviously Wisconsin going bat **** crazy from 3.

They called one flop in the game and the entire first half Ryan was complaining about all the contact on shots not being called. I think the refs flipped after Tarc did his staredown routine after a dunk and both teams started talking.

UA's entire offense the last 10 minuted was FT's, so I just think saying the way the game was called hurt UA is inaccurate they benefitted from it more because they shot more FT's.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least two of Stanley Johnson's fouls were called when it was clear he had nothing but ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cmon now. He contested a dunk by Kaminsky and hit him in the face and the entire UA crowd went nuts. Then they showed the replay so you could see in slow motion the hand hit the arm and then the face, and the UA fans booed again.

UA fans are like any other fans they don't believe their team ever fouls.

There was a play in the 2nd half where Tarc set a moving screen, hit a Wisconsin player in the face. TJ flips the ball out to the corner, Tarc runs it down, dribbles twice and stops. Then stands there turns, dribbles again, the entire Wisconsin team stops because it's double dribble, and UA gets a layup off his pass. So yes the refs missed calls and made bad calls but the fouls were 22-21 and Wisconsin was up double digits and still getting called for fouls.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They called one flop in the game and the entire first half Ryan was complaining about all the contact on shots not being called. I think the refs flipped after Tarc did his staredown routine after a dunk and both teams started talking.

UA's entire offense the last 10 minuted was FT's, so I just think saying the way the game was called hurt UA is inaccurate they benefitted from it more because they shot more FT's.

They shot nearly identical FTA's

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They shot nearly identical FTA's

Yes but one team was pressing the last 5 minutes of the game and the other was backing off and trying not to foul and still getting fouls.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
BTW--I usually don't get emotional over when a player leaves, but I'm going to miss the hell out of McConnell

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Rabb is going to Cal after all.

The only cat considering a return is Zeus.

We'll be fine next year. Allen and Anderson will be available. Trier is the truth. Smith is great if healthy. Simon too. Comanche will need a year to develop, but Ristic can fill in. I also know Zona is looking at graduate transfer post players.

I expect Pitts to transfer, but even still, our backcourt is loaded and we'll still be at worst a Top 10 team.

What CAL?? Booooooooooo

Although a 23 year old Anderson might a better option anyway. Who backs up the 4?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a laugh, a friend is very well connected at Texas, he says their top target to replace Barnes is Sean Miller.

note, even he doesn't think they can actually get him, and they didn't fire Barnes with the expectation they would. They demanded Barnes overhaul his staff, he refused so they fired him. But he says Texas is going to load up an offer for Miller and after he says no, they're going hard for Marshall or Shaka Smart.

TJ

Reaction score
If you want a laugh, a friend is very well connected at Texas, he says their top target to replace Barnes is Sean Miller.

note, even he doesn't think they can actually get him, and they didn't fire Barnes with the expectation they would. They demanded Barnes overhaul his staff, he refused so they fired him. But he says Texas is going to load up an offer for Miller and after he says no, they're going hard for Marshall or Shaka Smart.

Dreaming is free, I guess.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Texas is a football school - actually the whole state is a football state. I don't see that happening at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What CAL?? Booooooooooo

Although a 23 year old Anderson might a better option anyway. Who backs up the 4?

Cal is trying to get a package deal of Rabb, Swanigan and Jaylen Brown.

Evan Daniels confirmed it that's why Brown visited Cal unofficially a couple of weeks ago, Rabb and Swanigan were there along with one other kid who verballed right after.

TJ

Reaction score

Evan Daniels confirmed it that's why Brown visited Cal unofficially a couple of weeks ago, Rabb and Swanigan were there along with one other kid who verballed right after.

That's a long shot, but if so, Cal would be dangerous next season.

TJ

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit I saw comparing Lute and Miller:

In Lute's first 10 seasons with Arizona, his tournament record was 9-9 with 1 Final Four appearance.

In Miller's first 6 seasons with Arizona, his tournament record is 11-4.

Like I've said, Miller is not a very good coach, but a great one. It's folly to think otherwise. I honestly wouldn't trade him for anyone else for the long haul. He'll get his. He's way too damn good of a coach not to.

Miller's philosophy to his players is applicable for his coaching career - honor the process.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Did CAL lose that 4-star kid Frayer? He still shows as committed on Rivals. Rabb was suppose to announce yesterday but didn't, is he waiting on the Swanigan & Brown? It would be a huge loss if Rabb spurns UA for CAL. I mean its been speculated for months now but if anyone was going to be able to convince Rabb's mom to change her mind it would be Miller & Richardson.

If Rabb goes to CAL is ARZ done and content with Anderson & Comanche at the PF spot if Ashley leaves? Who else is out there other than graduate transfer candidates?

TJ

Reaction score
If Rabb goes to CAL is ARZ done and content with Anderson & Comanche at the PF spot if Ashley leaves? Who else is out there other than graduate transfer candidates?

No one. Miller is done recruiting high schoolers for 2015. Since Rabb isn't coming, I would prefer a graduate transfer since our team is going to be very young at key positions.

2015 is still a great class, though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did CAL lose that 4-star kid Frayer? He still shows as committed on Rivals. Rabb was suppose to announce yesterday but didn't, is he waiting on the Swanigan & Brown? It would be a huge loss if Rabb spurns UA for CAL. I mean its been speculated for months now but if anyone was going to be able to convince Rabb's mom to change her mind it would be Miller & Richardson.

frayer is a year behind, and buddies with Rabb. Rabb's mom said he's close but not ready, don't know where the announce yesterday rumor came from, not from them.

Frayer is sort of Monty Buckley to Rabb's Jason Kidd with Cal. Buckley is the guy who convinced Kidd to pick Cal, and Frayer has been recruiting Rabb hard since he verballed to Cal himself.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW--I usually don't get emotional over when a player leaves, but I'm going to miss the hell out of McConnell

Yeah man, I always feel for players that play their last games in any sport. Been there and know that empty feeling

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit I saw comparing Lute and Miller:

In Lute's first 10 seasons with Arizona, his tournament record was 9-9 with 1 Final Four appearance.

In Miller's first 6 seasons with Arizona, his tournament record is 11-4.

Sure, but Lute literally built the program from complete scratch. Even though the program was down when Miller took over, it still had the cache of being one of the upper echelon programs based on what Lute did.

Like I've said, Miller is not a very good coach, but a great one. It's folly to think otherwise. I honestly wouldn't trade him for anyone else for the long haul. He'll get his. He's way too damn good of a coach not to.

You wouldn't trade him for anyone else? Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, Coach K, Billy Donovan? Yeah, they're older, but none of them are even close to retiring and those guys win conference titles, national titles and get to the Final Four with incredible regularity, something Miller hasn't shown the ability to do, save a couple conference titles so far.

Maybe we're talking shades of grey here... but I think it's folly to think he's on the same level as those guys at this point. Can he get there? I hope so, but he's got to get ONE of his team's to that Final Weekend before he can be mentioned as good as those guys, IMO.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but Lute literally built the program from complete scratch. Even though the program was down when Miller took over, it still had the cache of being one of the upper echelon programs based on what Lute did.

You wouldn't trade him for anyone else? Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, Coach K, Billy Donovan? Yeah, they're older, but none of them are even close to retiring and those guys win conference titles, national titles and get to the Final Four with incredible regularity, something Miller hasn't shown the ability to do, save a couple conference titles so far.

Maybe we're talking shades of grey here... but I think it's folly to think he's on the same level as those guys at this point. Can he get there? I hope so, but he's got to get ONE of his team's to that Final Weekend before he can be mentioned as good as those guys, IMO.

Izzo did such fantastic job coaching Michigan St. into the Final Four again this season. They faced a tougher road than au did and I have to tip my hat to the guy. It seems like he gets his teams to peak at the right time and play above their talent level. I'd take him over Miller. But, ASU is not going to get someone who is an elite coach already. They have to pick someone to build a program like Olsen did for au.

BTW, au fans, no shame in the loss to Wisconsin yesterday. The Badgers just shot the hell out of the ball, and played a little tighter as a team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw a little blub last night:

The only coach, besides Miller, to get to the elite 8 four times in the span of 8 years without getting in the Final Four was Bill Self, and in the 9th year he got a national title.

Lets keep that trend going.

TJ

Reaction score

It had been two years since Lute was coach when Miller was hired, and during that two year drought, high school players lost confidence in the program and jumped ship. Literally, Miller had to scramble to recruit talent to Arizona, and put together a pretty good developmental class his first year, which set him up for an improbably Elite Eight run in 2011.

Look at it this way: we were a Tim Floyd hire away from being USC, WSU, or ASU.

Would you trade Bruce Arians for Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, John Fox, Ken Whisenhunt, or Jim Fisher? Arians hasn't been to a Superbowl, but the others have and some have even won it, and many would assert that Arians is a superior coach to all.

Because Miller hasn't been to the Final Four doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability to do so. Before yesterday, he was 9 points away from three Final Fours and a ridiculous second half three-point barrage from being in four.

Pitino, Izzo, and K are in their 60s. Cal is a dirty, sleazy coach with tons of baggage. But against all of the coaches you listed, Miller is 3-1 against them head-to-head since joining Arizona.

Miller's career trajectory is clear to anyone who pays attention to college hoops. He is regarded as one of the best young coaches in college basketball. He will get there eventually and win championships; he's way too good at his craft. And in the far chance he doesn't, he would have either been hit by a meteor, or been the most snakebitten coach since John Chaney.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It had been two years since Lute was coach when Miller was hired, and during that two year drought, high school players lost confidence in the program and jumped ship. Literally, Miller had to scramble to recruit talent to Arizona, and put together a pretty good developmental class his first year, which set him up for an improbably Elite Eight run in 2011.

Look at it this way: we were a Tim Floyd hire away from being USC, WSU, or ASU.

Would you trade Bruce Arians for Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton, John Fox, Ken Whisenhunt, or Jim Fisher? Arians hasn't been to a Superbowl, but the others have and some have even won it, and many would assert that Arians is a superior coach to all.

Because Miller hasn't been to the Final Four doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability to do so. Before yesterday, he was 9 points away from three Final Fours and a ridiculous second half three-point barrage from being in four.

Pitino, Izzo, and K are in their 60s. Cal is a dirty, sleazy coach with tons of baggage. But against all of the coaches you listed, Miller is 3-1 against them head-to-head since joining Arizona.

Miller's career trajectory is clear to anyone who pays attention to college hoops. He is regarded as one of the best young coaches in college basketball. He will get there eventually and win championships; he's way too good at his craft. And in the far chance he doesn't, he would have either been hit by a meteor, or been the most snakebitten coach since John Chaney.

9 points away from 3 final fours? So they lost the other 2 by negative 10? Xavier lost to UCLA by 19 in the Elite 8.

Getting to 4 Elite 8's is the sign of a terrific coach, one would assume he'll eventually get over the hump.