2012 St Louis Rams thread

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff Fisher introduced today as the new HC.

When asked about a timeline to restore a competitive credability to this franchise he addressed the division first and foremost.
"Wont take long."
:D

Press conference:http://www.stlouisrams.com/events/live.html

Former Saints DC Gregg Williams is expected to join Fishers staff....and OC candidates include Brian Shottenheimer and Hue Jackson.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol @

Fisher's immediate goal: Fisher pointed to becoming competitive within the NFC West as his top priority. The Rams were 0-6 in the division this season. Fisher said he would field a "disciplined, tough, physical football team" that can win in the division. He wants to field a team that runs the ball, protects the quarterback and forces turnovers.

Is he stealing sound bytes from Whiz?

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn't he draft Haynesworth, Vince Young and Kenny Britt?
I'm not sure how much say he'd always had on draft day. I do know that Vince Young wasn't his guy. I doubt you'd need a link for that fact. :shrug:

So.....just to clarify here. Are you trying to say that Fisher's teams haven't been physical football teams? Be careful how you answer Mulli,football knowledge credibility check here....LOL ;)
If we're talking disciplined then yeah....i wouldn't exactly put his teams at the top of that list.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much say he'd always had on draft day. I do know that Vince Young wasn't his guy. I doubt you'd need a link for that fact. :shrug:

So.....just to clarify here. Are you trying to say that Fisher's teams haven't been physical football teams? Be careful how you answer Mulli,football knowledge credibility check here....LOL ;)
If we're talking disciplined then yeah....i wouldn't exactly put his teams at the top of that list.

Ya was referring to discipline

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mojo....who do you think the Rams take at #2?

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mojo....who do you think the Rams take at #2?
I'd like to trade down to #6 with Washington(who would draft RGIII) and draft Blackmon at 6th overall and grab an extra pick at the top of the 2nd round.
I think Cleveland at #4 has RGIII in their sights....

I dont think the Rams should draft OT Kalil #2 overall. We need help on the OLine but IMO our OLine crapfest has been primarily on OLine coach Steve Loney(who Cards fans should be familiar with). Luckily he's finally gone after being here for for 4 + years.

I'm willing to gamble on the underachieving expensive guys we've got in place on the OLine with a legit OLine coach in place. Fisher has traditionally fielded quality offensive lines without spending big money.

The outcome of the Rams retaining UFA WR Brandon Lloyd will play a role here IMO in terms of locking in on Justin Blackmon in the draft. If it were me calling the shots i'd draft Blackmon at #2 regardless....LOL. Bradfords going to be digesting his 3rd offens in 3 years....you'd better give him the support to be successful before you decide to go in a different direction. TE Lance Kendricks was a disappointment last season as a 2nd rd pick who was supposed to be an all-around versatile threat to make plays in the passing game and help solidify the running game by showing the blocking skills he had in college at Wisconsin. The dude blocked well in his rookie year but had a severe case of the dropsies.

Brandon Lloyd,Justin Blackmon, Danny Amendola and SJ39 gives any QB the tools to succeed IMO. Again,i think the OLine will be better based on addition by subtraction(OLine coach Steve Loney was horrible).

Too early to say for sure TJ...but i think the Rams find a way to land Blackmon.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ya was referring to discipline
The numbers definately back that up.

From 2001-2010, the Titans led the NFL in most personal foul penalties with 163. The second-highest teams on the list for most PFs were the NY Giants and Arizona Cardinals, with 137.

The chart shows the Titans with the most combined penalties for unnecessary roughness, roughing the passer, personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct from 2001-2010. Those are the years I could access readily via ESPN Sports & Information. Fisher was the head coach during those years. Seattle had the fewest; the Seahawks were among the least penalized teams overall under Mike Holmgren.
From Sando:http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/57491/101espn-st-louis-audio-miklasz-show-17

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he means disciplined in the art of sucker punch.

Maybe they'll draft a new player to do this for them now that Richie Incognito is gone. Wasn't he the goon who did this kind of crap before?

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Experience is in the house......FINALLY.
HC-Jeff Fisher
OC-Brian Shottenheimer
WR- Ray Sherman
DC-Gregg Williams
OLine coach-Paul Boudreau
Asst coach- Dave McGinnis
more to come....

Fisher on London U.K.,the Rams roster and some philosophy.
http://101sports.com/?nid=142&sid=15729542

However this works out i'm happy with the most experienced staff since 1999. Tired of the up n coming hot OC or DC being put in position to lead this team and direction etc...Fisher has surrounded himself with some experienced men of football,trusted friends and i like that.

OC Brian Shott has already made his 1st priority to hire a QB coach for Bradford(which he didn't have last season).

The offense has major holes on the OLine and in terms of playmakers(still.).....but Fisher inherits a strong pair of DE's(Long and Quinn) and a solid MLB in Laurinaitis. Secondary was raped by injuries last season. Bartell and Fletcher will be back.....but will they be back strong? The defense will be just fine in 2012 i think. Physical and opportunistic.

My take is that the OLine is the key to the quickness of Fishers turnaround.....will he stand pat on the expensive talent that former GM Devaney spent so much $$ on and bank on bringing in his his guys to coach 'em up? I think he does. Former OLine coach Steve Loney was horrible the last 5 years.
IIRC Jeff Fisher has never drafted an OLineman in the first round ever....so it will be interesting how he approaches the draft and FA concerning the OLine.
IMO the talent is already there....go get some playmakers and some speed to give Bradford something to work with.

The decision to let go or re-sign URFA WR Brandon Lloyd will be key in determining the Rams draft day IMO. Lloyd has expressed his desire to return.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
\
Too early to say for sure TJ...but i think the Rams find a way to land Blackmon.

I think the Rams have many holes, but if you re-sign Lloyd and draft Blackmon, your team has one of the top WR duos in the NFL.

IMO, Blackmon is a can't miss prospect. Gotta take him at #2.

And I'm on record as saying that Bradford isn't as bad as people make him out to be. Injuries, new offense, and sophomore slump contributed to his 2011 demise.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TJ
Around the same time the Rams reach the playoffs ;)
:) Well played. Meanwhile the Cardinals Super Bowl trophy case still looks like this...
You must be registered for see images attach

:mulli: Hey seriously, at least the Rams know when to rebuild and let go of their aging stars. The Suns strategy to get better is beyond pathetic at this point. It sucks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TJ

:) Well played. Meanwhile the Cardinals Super Bowl trophy case still looks like this...
You must be registered for see images attach

:mulli: Hey seriously, at least the Rams know when to rebuild and let go of their aging stars. The Suns strategy to get better is beyond pathetic at this point. It sucks.

That must be really special for all you Rams fans. Hey, what was the name of that aging QB the Rams let go so they could start their rebuild in 04? Haven't you guys won something like 37 games in the 8 years since? I don't like the current Suns strategy but I'm not sure I want them to turn to the Rams organization for suggestions. Unless, of course, your team can teach the Suns how to luck into the number 2 pick in a year in which the league believes there are 2 Michael Jordans available.

Steve

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That must be really special for all you Rams fans. Hey, what was the name of that aging QB the Rams let go so they could start their rebuild in 04? Haven't you guys won something like 37 games in the 8 years since? I don't like the current Suns strategy but I'm not sure I want them to turn to the Rams organization for suggestions. Unless, of course, your team can teach the Suns how to luck into the number 2 pick in a year in which the league believes there are 2 Michael Jordans available.

Steve
Rams weren't rebuilding when KW left. You dont have to look for St Lou for suggestions Steve,its been pretty bad in terms of W and L's the last 6 years. However, smart franchises know when to fold it up and at least give themselves a chance.

Bruce(Pro Bowler) cut. Did nothing after that.
Pace(pro bowler)cut. Did nothing after that.
Holt(pro bowler) cut. Did very little after that.
Just a few examples.
These guys will all retire as Rams,have great big ceremonies,no hard feelings,everyone will be happy,and the Rams won't be blackballed by future free agents just because they let these guys go. :lol:

Nash and Hill still being the core guys in PHX is a joke. They simply don't want to build a team thru the draft,or take it on the chin for a couple seasons,and are unwilling to flush the toilet on this era.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rams weren't rebuilding when KW left. You dont have to look for St Lou for suggestions Steve,its been pretty bad in terms of W and L's the last 6 years. However, smart franchises know when to fold it up and at least give themselves a chance.

Bruce(Pro Bowler) cut. Did nothing after that.
Pace(pro bowler)cut. Did nothing after that.
Holt(pro bowler) cut. Did very little after that.
Just a few examples.
These guys will all retire as Rams,have great big ceremonies,no hard feelings,everyone will be happy,and the Rams won't be blackballed by future free agents just because they let these guys go. :lol:

Nash and Hill still being the core guys in PHX is a joke. They simply don't want to build a team thru the draft,or take it on the chin for a couple seasons,and are unwilling to flush the toilet on this era.

See, there's your problem - you have a sick sense of humor. Nash and Hill still being the core guys in PHX isn't a joke, it's a crying shame.

Unlike you, I still enjoy watching Steve Nash play but like you, I'd much rather he be playing elsewhere. I thought for sure that we'd finally part ways with Nash when Amare left and I was absolutely positive that we wouldn't bring Hill back for another contract. Now, obviously, I have to admit I have no idea what they are doing.

I'm not sure what point you're making about Bruce, Pace and Holt though. It seems to me the Rams kept them until they had outlived their value and that's not really the case with either Hill or Nash. Both of those guys are still playing at a level at least equal to their contract. I don't want them gone because they are underperforming. I want them gone because in the NBA you pretty much need to be good or really bad and those two guys make us something in between.

Steve

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who's the Rams DC now?
Jeff Fisher. Lol.

Well, Dave McGinnis and Chuck Cecil are there to assist so its not all doom and gloom. Fisher says Greg Williams playbook originated in his office anyway,so i think the Rams got a little lucky considering their DC got suspended and likely blackballed.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what point you're making about Bruce, Pace and Holt though. It seems to me the Rams kept them until they had outlived their value and that's not really the case with either Hill or Nash. Both of those guys are still playing at a level at least equal to their contract. I don't want them gone because they are underperforming. I want them gone because in the NBA you pretty much need to be good or really bad and those two guys make us something in between.

Steve
My point was mainly that no matter HOW SPECIAL a player has been to a particular franchise(and Isaac Bruce was easily as heralded and beloved as Nash is here)...that IT'S OKAY to move on. Many arguments in the Suns board against moving Nash have been based on things like "Trading Nash show's disrespect and disloyalty" and "Treating your star players like that will put a black eye on future dealings in free agency etc..."

********. You do whats best for the franchise.

:) I want to be a Suns fan again,I can support a team that is at least "doing it right" even if they fail(i'm a Rams fan...LOL)....but i cannot support stupidity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rams ready to enjoy their ‘Herschel Walker moment’
It's the type of move that can change a franchise.
On March 10, the St. Louis Rams agreed to trade the second pick in the NFL draft to the Washington Redskins, a deal that was done at the time with the idea that Robert Griffin III was the consensus No. 2 player in the draft. No matter that the Indianapolis Colts, holder of the top selection, might now consider taking "RGIII" over Andrew Luck with the top pick. The pick still had value to the Browns with two franchise-saving quarterbacks available in this draft; with the Rams set at the position, the move now lets them enhance their team.
St. Louis obtained from Washington the No. 6 pick in the draft along with the Redskins' second-round pick this year. In addition, the Rams now hold the Redskins' first-round picks in 2013 and 2014.
"It reminds me a bit of the Dallas Cowboys when they traded [Herschel] Walker and remade their team," one league executive told Yahoo! Sports.
"The Rams underachieved last year and were better than their record indicated. Now that they can upgrade with some very real talent in this draft, they should be a playoff team again. And quickly."
The allusion to the Walker trade is an interesting one. Made in 1989 between the Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings, the deal had Walker and a free throw-in from Dallas as the centerpiece, heading to the MetroDome. In return, the Cowboys received five players and eight draft picks. These picks became the core of three Super Bowl-winning teams in the 1990's, including Emmitt Smith, Alvin Harper and Darren Woodson.
The Rams won't get the massive haul that the Cowboys did 23 years ago, but they should upgrade plenty. Considering that they have their quarterback of the future in Sam Bradford, the Rams didn't need to stay that close to the top of the draft with two coveted quarterbacks in Luck and Griffin III available. Trading down affords them the opportunity to get better in other areas.
"While Dallas received several veteran players in the trade, the use of their draft picks was a huge part of their success in building a championship foundation, which led to the organization's Super Bowl victories and also included two NFL Hall of Famers," said Tony Softli, the Rams' former director of player personnel, who is now a host at 101ESPN in St. Louis.
"For the Rams, how they handle the procurement of talent in the 2012 draft with three picks in the first 39 selections and the 2013, 2014 first-round selections is key."
There's needs for sure but with five picks in the top 100 selections, an already young team could be getting younger. There's still a need at wide receiver, the offensive line needs help, and the Rams can use some secondary depth.
But much like the Cowboys parlayed a high-profile trade into solid selections, the Rams have given general manager Les Snead the flexibility to add depth.
"It's in the Rams' hands now, but they can come out of the next three drafts with lots of cornerstone pieces," the league executive said. "They can also gamble on players too, knowing that there is safety in numbers. So if they're excited by someone's potential but know that there will be a learning curve, they can now afford to bring that player in whereas in the past, they might lean towards the sure-thing selection.
"This is the kind of trade that can turn a playoff team into a Super Bowl contender within five years."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/rams-ready-enjoy-herschel-walker-moment-201619672.html;_ylt=ArDPgaqS.Myfv.YdOhBASVDsYNAF

Picks are meaningless if your scouting is poor. Its been a mixed bag over the last few drafts. Good talent through the first couple rounds(Chris Long,James Laurinaitis,Bradley Fletcher,Sammy Bradford,Rodger Saffold,Robert Quinn)....but very little if anything after that. New regime though...re-wired scouting and a new GM.
Rams are in the drivers seat but we've got to draft better talent in the middle rounds(3rd,4th).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose