2012 position of strength- Quarterback!

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I'd peg the probability as being in the 25%-35% range with Skelton having the edge due to slightly better size and athletic ability (Note - the longer the two compete with one another, the narrower Kolb's edge in FB sophistication gets).

But anything can happen, & it's still 65%-75% likely that neither turns out to be our long-range answer. (no knock on either one - it's just football odds. Think about it, over the past half-century, how many QBs have had success or staying power as Cardinals - Charley Johnson? Jim Hart? Neil Lomax? Kurt Warner (albeit for just 2 years)? Not that many.

Jake Plummer was one too. The difference is that I think the team around the QB has more potential this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if fans think Skelton is behind schedule in his development?

I think he is ahead of schedule and if it were would not for the Cardinals indulgence it what looks like a failed experiment with Kolb, he would be even further ahead.

Last edited:

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if fans think Skelton is behind schedule in his development?

I think he is ahead of schedule and if it were would not for the Cardinals indulgence it what looks like a failed experiment with Kolb, he would be even further ahead.

A head of what? We need a real quarterback and I don't know if he will ever be that. I do know 90% of his snaps he's not that quarterback. I wish he was because I don't believe Kolb will stay healthy even if he has the skills, which I'm not saying he does. I don't know I just wish we had someone that was showing a lot more than what we've seen and I hope one of them shows it this year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ahead of where you would expect a 5th round pick from the Patriot League I guess. If you look at Double Duece in that context and consider he was 3rd string in 2010 and there was not much of any off season practices in 2011,
along with the clutch throws he's made in the 4th Q and I'd say he's slightly ahead of what you would expect and giving some good indication that he could be that QB.

He's a Young Phil Mikelson, hitting his tee shot deep in the woods and then hitting a roping hook from 175 yards under the trees over a pond six feet from the hole. Of course it really helps that DDuece has Fitzgerald as his caddy.

Edit: I thought this comment from Horton about Flemming and Bethel might apply here as well:

"It looks like one is from a big school and one is from a small school, it really does," Horton said. "One is well coached, well-versed, understands schemes and what he's doing and how to play football.

"Justin looks like he's a raw kid from a small school who has a bunch of athletic talent. We have to harness that talent and put it into the right direction. You could see the kid get overwhelmed but you want him to be a sponge and soak stuff up."

Last edited:

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ahead of where you would expect a 5th round pick from the Patriot League I guess. If you look at Double Duece in that context and consider he was 3rd string in 2010 and there was not much of any off season practices in 2011,
along with the clutch throws he's made in the 4th Q and I'd say he's slightly ahead of what you would expect and giving some good indication that he could be that QB.

He definitely shows signs he can play in the clutch Would really love to see a lot more consistency. Normally with how well he has performed in what should be the most difficult situations I would have complete confidence he would learn to do it in the other moments. But his other moments can be so bad unfortunately it still leaves me with doubts. He may be ahead of something but he still has a long ways to go IMHO.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't recall the Cardinals entering a season with 3 QBs with as much upside as the team will in 2012:

1. Kevin Kolb- Finally he gets a full off-season of OTAs, mini camps and a training camp to learn the Cardinals system. He has all the tools to be a very special QB in the NFL. Lets hope the injury concerns are behind him.

2. John Skelton- some might argue with me that he should be number one on this list and it would be hard to disagree. "Baby Ben" grew up a lot last season and had some very impressive wins (at Philly, vs SF) to show for his efforts. He too has all the tools to be a very special NFL QB.

3. Ryan Lindley- Just the fact that S.I.com's Peter King would suggest that Lindley is as good or better then other highly touted rookies Tanneyhill, tells you the Cardinals might have found the steal of the draft. Like Skelton, Lindley has the size/arm to be a very special QB in the NFL. No disrespect to R.Bartell but the drafting of Lindley probably meant the end of his Cardinals career.

All "3" of the Cardinals QBs offer immense upside. All are young and eager to prove themselves. All should take huge steps forward this off-season under John McNulty- who did very special things at Rutgers with the QBs and that was why Schiano wanted him in Tampa Bay as the OC this year.

In the NFL you are only as good as your QB, and I think the Cardinals have as much depth at the position as they have had in a long time!

Go Cardinals!
Tim in NJ

I sure like your optimism. Has any team ever started a season with less NFL experience than our three QB's? Usually at least one QB who has played a full season at the NFL level. Basically we are hoping that either Kolb or Skelton will surface as an NFL ready QB. Neither has started a full season. If I were putting out some odds on one of these two guys becoming our QB of the future I would probably say about 10%-20% at best.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sure like your optimism. Has any team ever started a season with less NFL experience than our three QB's? Usually at least one QB who has played a full season at the NFL level. Basically we are hoping that either Kolb or Skelton will surface as an NFL ready QB. Neither has started a full season. If I were putting out some odds on one of these two guys becoming our QB of the future I would probably say about 10%-20% at best.

The Redskins are currently looking at a rookie starter... backed up by a rookie.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He definitely shows signs he can play in the clutch Would really love to see a lot more consistency. Normally with how well he has performed in what should be the most difficult situations I would have complete confidence he would learn to do it in the other moments. But his other moments can be so bad unfortunately it still leaves me with doubts. He may be ahead of something but he still has a long ways to go IMHO.

One more thing on Skelton. Most of us have forgotten that Double Duece was hurt and didn't even play in the last 2 pre season games in 2011.

That makes what Double Duece did last season even more impressive. But he's destined for the bench unless Kolb gets hurt so really no sense in even discussing Skelton as a starter. Kolb just makes too much money to think otherwise.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just have to address the initial post about our QB being a position of strength. It isn't. It's the only position I constantly stress over. We could have weaknesses all over the field, in other positions, and I would feel somewhat steadied if we had a good or great QB, because I'd know we could pull out lost games. We don't have that. We have questionable QB's at best. It's not a position of strength, it's not even a position of comfort. It's our weakest position and the only position on the field I worry about.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
kind of sort of

Well I would rather play dodge ball with anyone other than John Skeltron, He may only hit me 1 out of 2 times- but OOUUCCHHHHH! physical weakness is not his problem. The man Child is a beast.
:D
I agree with you Darkside, but I still see the- what the hell factor- it can still go both ways- good and bad- but i think it is an offensive system/philosophy flaw- more than a QB skill set/ability flaw.

I think we will know by the end of Preseason, but I'm not sure yet.

I just have to address the initial post about our QB being a position of strength. It isn't. It's the only position I constantly stress over. We could have weaknesses all over the field, in other positions, and I would feel somewhat steadied if we had a good or great QB, because I'd know we could pull out lost games. We don't have that. We have questionable QB's at best. It's not a position of strength, it's not even a position of comfort. It's our weakest position and the only position on the field I worry about.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I've got 2 words for you:

Zastudil

But seriously... I agree. Big time. A good QB can make up for deficiencies all over the roster, but the ONLY thing that can make up for an awful QB is an all-world defense... and even then the awful QB has to control his turnovers.

BlueTalon

Conservative Curmudgeon
Reaction score

We might. If Tarvaris Jackson doesn't make the Seahawks final roster (not likely, but distinctly possible), we would have three QBs on the roster with a combined two NFL starts.