2011 Draft Thread

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My draft list

1. Fredette
2. Bismack Biyombo
3. Faried

Man would I love to get a higher pick along with the 13th pick.

I think if Biyombo is available, the Suns just have to take that chance.
I wish we could get another pick to get Faried as well.
I am not going to be upset if we end up with Fredette if Biyombo is not available, but I could really live without any more players who can't play D.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I watched both of them play quite a bit in college and I just don't see the comparison. Other than the obvious, they're both white and they both shoot well they're not very much alike. Redick got most of his within an offense designed to give him good looks. Jimmer is incredible at creating the space needed to get off a shot. He's not my first choice either but IMO he's much more likely to be in the World B Free, Downtown Freddie Brown conversation than he is the Steve Kerr, JJ Redick group.

Steve

This. He is incredible at creating his own shot. And that's with double teams and triple teams thrown at him as well. And people who say he's small, look at JJ Barea. The guy is a size of a pea and schools players.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Biyombo would be my #1. He has the chance of being a cross between Rodman/Mutombo/Wallace. So, even if his offensive development never happens, at least he has that ceiling - something I think we'd ALL be happy with.

I wouldn't be mad at having Fredette on this team, but that's only if other needs are already addressed. I think Fredette has the chance of being a better Eddie House. That would make a great bench player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if Biyombo is available, the Suns just have to take that chance.
I wish we could get another pick to get Faried as well.
I am not going to be upset if we end up with Fredette if Biyombo is not available, but I could really live without any more players who can't play D.

It is a chance but it's the one I'd take also. If Faried makes it through most of the first round or later (doubtful) he'd definitely be worth buying a pick for, IMO.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a chance but it's the one I'd take also. If Faried makes it through most of the first round or later (doubtful) he'd definitely be worth buying a pick for, IMO.

Steve

I am with you. He is an intriguing pick.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Ford's latest has Bismack going #11 with the Suns snagging Alec Burks at #13. I would be okay with that, but I would prefer Bismack.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
1. Derrick Williams
2. Josh Selby
3. Alec Burks
4. Jeremy Tyler
5. Bismack Biyombo

In terms of positions..

C- Tyler
PF- Biyombo
SF- Williams
SG- Burks
PG- Selby

Wouldn't shock me to move up for Derrick Williams to play PF though. DX thinks it is his best position. He is thick enough and strong enough to play that position too.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think he is the best value pick in the entire draft and might very well be one of the top 3 players in the draft when all is said and done. For what it's worth he was rated higher than Irving and Knight coming out of highschool and is much more athletic than either just had to deal with lots of stop at Kansas.

The top 5 guys definately won't be the best 5 players in the draft.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I agree on Selby, he is risky but he could be worth it. I don't know if I would pick him at 13 but i would definitely take him in the low 20s if we still had the pick that we traded to Houston.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
from hoopsworld:
• Many of the teams that want to add a late first round pick believe their best bet is dealing with the San Antonio Spurs. Multiple executives believe that San Antonio wants to move the 29th pick, and teams such as the New York Knicks and Phoenix Suns would love to take it off of their hands. Both teams will wait to see if the player they're targeting is on the board when the Spurs go on the clock before entering a bidding war for the pick.
I imagine we are targeting one of the guys we recently worked out to nab with a late first or early second. Any ideas? I could see the Suns trying to move Lopez for a mid to late first round pick.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
from hoopsworld:
I imagine we are targeting one of the guys we recently worked out to nab with a late first or early second. Any ideas? I could see the Suns trying to move Lopez for a mid to late first round pick.

Problem is that in this weak draft, you trade Lopez and probably get another Lopez. In a deeper draft, I pull that trigger in a heart beat. If the Suns do this in this years draft you know they have conceded Lopez is a lost cause.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem is that in this weak draft, you trade Lopez and probably get another Lopez. In a deeper draft, I pull that trigger in a heart beat. If the Suns do this in this years draft you know they have conceded Lopez is a lost cause.

I do not know about Lopez. The answer is a medical one and if the Suns are smart they are keeping that quiet. Lopez regressed this year and it was clearly medical. I remember the Suns passing on Tyson Chandler because they thought he was absolutely finished medically. All of a sudden he is anchoring the defense and changing the culture for a championship team.

If the Suns medical staff believes that they can get Lopez right, then we ought to keep him. He is still very young.

If not, its time to get what you can.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know about Lopez. The answer is a medical one and if the Suns are smart they are keeping that quiet. Lopez regressed this year and it was clearly medical. I remember the Suns passing on Tyson Chandler because they thought he was absolutely finished medically. All of a sudden he is anchoring the defense and changing the culture for a championship team.

If the Suns medical staff believes that they can get Lopez right, then we ought to keep him. He is still very young.

If not, its time to get what you can.

Problem is Lopez will never be a good rebounder. Chandler has skills that Lopez has never had. Chandler was injured but proved he could do those things. Lopez has sucked at rebounding and always will healthy or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from hoopsworld:

Maybe Brooks is worth a first round pick in the twenties to another team. Of course he would probably need to be signed first. I'm not sure how this could work. Pietrus might have some value especially since he is an expiring contract and is a decent player. Lopez is a good guess. If the Suns were interested in trading Carter instead of buying him out, trading him to another team might send a first round pick to Phoenix in a trade package. Also maybe the Suns can just buy a first or second round pick. This is where the Suns need a good basketball mind running the ship.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to 14-15 invitees to the Green Room per ESPN. It is likely the Suns 13th selection is among them but I think there might be some surprises. It is a Chad Ford article updated 6-18-2011.

As noted in the article, Bismack Biyombo and Nikola Vucevic were not invited. I like these big men based on what I know.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6675909

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What makes you repeatedly call this a weak draft? IMO, this is NOT a weak draft, at least not in the way you keep using these words. This draft is very light at the top but it's actually a pretty DEEP draft. It is one of those years when it's hard to tell the difference in value between the 8th highest rated player and the 38th highest rated (pretty much random numbers, just to make a point).

It is quite possible to find a starter in the 2nd round of this draft and it's equally possible to waste a lottery pick on a future NBDL washout. It's a challenging draft if you're light on the scouting end but it's the kind of draft that could pay big dividends to the right organization. It's highly doubtful that we are that "right organization" but who knows, maybe we've made the right changes. Ha! Hey, maybe that's why you keep calling it a weak draft.:)

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Brooks is worth a first round pick in the twenties to another team. Of course he would probably need to be signed first. I'm not sure how this could work. Pietrus might have some value especially since he is an expiring contract and is a decent player. Lopez is a good guess. If the Suns were interested in trading Carter instead of buying him out, trading him to another team might send a first round pick to Phoenix in a trade package. Also maybe the Suns can just buy a first or second round pick. This is where the Suns need a good basketball mind running the ship.

If the Suns trade Carter, they would have to take back a bad contract along with the pick. The ideal would be to get an expiring or a young player on a first contract plus a bad contract plus a pick.

The Suns have to get out and work it to get something for Carter, and they should. They need to start stockpiling assets.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What makes you repeatedly call this a weak draft? IMO, this is NOT a weak draft, at least not in the way you keep using these words. This draft is very light at the top but it's actually a pretty DEEP draft. It is one of those years when it's hard to tell the difference in value between the 8th highest rated player and the 38th highest rated (pretty much random numbers, just to make a point).

It is quite possible to find a starter in the 2nd round of this draft and it's equally possible to waste a lottery pick on a future NBDL washout. It's a challenging draft if you're light on the scouting end but it's the kind of draft that could pay big dividends to the right organization. It's highly doubtful that we are that "right organization" but who knows, maybe we've made the right changes. Ha! Hey, maybe that's why you keep calling it a weak draft.:)

Steve

So, in a draft like this, trading for a pick is not a bad idea but trading UP for a pick is a bad idea.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in a draft like this, trading for a pick is not a bad idea but trading UP for a pick is a bad idea.

Well, I'd say trading for a pick in a draft like this is not a bad idea (especially if you've done your homework) but trading UP is a risky proposition. Part of the reason I say that though is because I just can't tell about Derrick Williams. We really do not know if he can adjust to the small forward position and undersized power forwards struggle more often than they soar.

I know there are a lot of people on this site that are positive he'll thrive at the next level and there are a lot of people that are confident he'll disappoint. I've watched most of his college games and I just cannot tell. I love his attitude and his work ethic and I believe he will have at minimum a decent career but I really have no idea if he can truly be a player worthy of a top 2 pick. I can't see risking a solid center for a player that might be no more than a solid forward. I'd love to see him in Phoenix (even though it's a gamble) but not at the cost of Gortat.

Steve

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the latest RealGM poster rumor.
Im waiting on a confirmation to see if the trade that I keep hearing is correct. The wolves want some veteran leadership (Mickeal Pietrus) a young prospect (Robin Lopez) and a draft pick ( suns 13th pick) for Micheal Beasley and hour 20th pick.

If in fact it's true, the Suns would be looking to draft Iman Shumpert. He has some point guard experiences , very good defensively and has a 42 inch vertical! good back up for Jared Dudley if you ask me.
Obviously the rumor must be taken with a grain of salt. But... I find it hard to believe that the Suns have turned a complete 180 on Beasley. Supposedly, he along with filler was offered for Stoudemire during the deadline a year and a half ago, and the Suns had zero interest because he's a knucklehead. IMO, he's just not a Suns type player (someone the fans will embrace). If we are pursuing him now then shame on us for not having a bit of foresight/scouting and trading Stoudemire for him. Instead, we lost Stoudemire for nothing and will have to sacrifice a pick now. Babby and Blanks were not here, so I guess they can't be blamed.

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Here's the latest RealGM poster rumor. Obviously the rumor must be taken with a grain of salt. But... I find it hard to believe that the Suns have turned a complete 180 on Beasley. Supposedly, he along with filler was offered for Stoudemire during the deadline a year and a half ago, and the Suns had zero interest because he's a knucklehead. IMO, he's just not a Suns type player (someone the fans will embrace). If we are pursuing him now then shame on us for not having a bit of foresight/scouting and trading Stoudemire for him. Instead, we lost Stoudemire for nothing and will have to sacrifice a pick now. Babby and Blanks were not here, so I guess they can't be blamed.

That would be an AWESOME trade! This leaves us with all our assets in place (Dudley is expendable with Beasley, VC, #20, s&t Brooks). We could certainly convert those to a starting SG and we could draft a PF to develop. I'd try to convert those assets into a starting SG (Iggy/#16 for VC/cash?) and use #13/#16 to move up to, say, #10 to get Biyombo and use #20 to get a PG/SG.

Nash-Iggy-Beasley-Biyombo-Gortat

Likely our best lineup since the 04-05 season - and potentially better....