2011 Draft Thread

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Alec Burks dislocated his shoulder and may miss some workouts. That could conceivably make him slide a few spots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeremy Hazell is a good scorer but if the Suns were looking for undersized SG, I'd prefer Ravern Johnson SG Mississippi State. I really thought Hazell would be great after watching him 2 years ago. Both would be solid 2nd Rounders though. I have both rated higher than LaceDarius Dunn SG Baylor. E'Twaun Moore SG Purdue is another undersized SG that would be solid in the 2nd Round too...

I have Johnson #37 and Hazell #41. Outside of my top 10 Prospects, I change all the time though lol

Do you have any idea why these players are not getting any love on two major mock draft sites even in the second round?

I saw some video on Raven Johnson but I really like Hazell the best. I guess to each his own. :D

Also I do not consider Hazell at 6'5" as under-sized at SG.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
GREAT NEWS: JIMMER LIKELY WONT COME TO PHX

The Suns also like Jimmer, and with*Steve Nash rolling into the last year of his deal — and with backup*Aaron Brooks far from a lock to replace him — Fredette fits a need and his style of play fits well with Alvin Gentry’s system.

However,*Phoenix Suns president Lon Babby has been emphasizing defense this summer, and I got an earful about it from Babby in the lobby of the Westin in Chicago last week. Given the major question marks surrounding Fredette’s defensive abilities, he may not be as snug of a fit as I had thought. While Babby didn’t rule out taking Fredette at 13, he didn’t sound like a man whose heart was set on taking him.

-Chad Ford, ESPN NBA Draft Insider

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Ravern Johnson is like 6'7 175 - so if you've seen highlights, he's pretty thin. That's probably what is keeping him from being rated higher...

Jeremy Hazell looks thin and is around 6'5 but he appears to have super long arms, but he's averaged close to 20 PTS for three years now. I would assume his age is probably the biggest red flag and I would've liked to see more from him outside of scoring. If he tests well athletically at Team workouts, he could be a sleeper though.

The Draft may be weak at the top but it's a deep Draft into the 2nd.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Let's get Fredette :) He might suck but I'll still watch games just to see his offense in action.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's get Fredette :) He might suck but I'll still watch games just to see his offense in action.

I was going to respond but unfortunately, after reading your post, my brain exploded. ;)

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh dear god I hope not. That would only mean the Suns new commitment to defense is a smokescreen as well.

I would be thrilled to have Jimmer. I would like to have Biyombo more. I think I would have a hard time deciding between Jimmer, Kyrie, and Kemba.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be thrilled to have Jimmer. I would like to have Biyombo more. I think I would have a hard time deciding between Jimmer, Kyrie, and Kemba.

How could this team ever improve defensively if you continue to add players who can't play defense? Makes no sense.

If we draft Jimmer we can look forward to another decade of dribble penetration break downs, playing zone to hide our PG and frantic defensive rotations to run out to cover open shooters.

I can't say this enough. Oh dear god...please NO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could this team ever improve defensively if you continue to add players who can't play defense? Makes no sense.

If we draft Jimmer we can look forward to another decade of dribble penetration break downs, playing zone to hide our PG and frantic defensive rotations to run out to cover open shooters.

There was a time when I really wanted Fredette. BUT, that was when he was still projected as a low first round/second round pick. At 13, I just think it's too much of a gamble to go after him. It's possible that he could end up being a superstar but IMO, the odds are very much against it.

If we have to gamble at 13, I want some combination of length, athleticism and defensive potential. And before the Earl Clark fan jumps in here and points out the obvious, yes, I'm asking for someone similar to him. The difference is I want an Earl Clark that's already visited the Wizard (for a brain AND a heart).

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

There is always room for one bench guy who can't play D but can score.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is always room for one bench guy who can't play D but can score.

Yes but that won't happen. Your not going to pay this guy 1st rounder money to have him come off the bench. If you draft a guy this high and early it's because you want him to be your future starter.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
There was a time when I really wanted Fredette. BUT, that was when he was still projected as a low first round/second round pick. At 13, I just think it's too much of a gamble to go after him. It's possible that he could end up being a superstar but IMO, the odds are very much against it.

If we have to gamble at 13, I want some combination of length, athleticism and defensive potential. And before the Earl Clark fan jumps in here and points out the obvious, yes, I'm asking for someone similar to him. The difference is I want an Earl Clark that's already visited the Wizard (for a brain AND a heart).

Steve

Yea, I agree his skill set is rather low other than the great offensive potential. Maybe because I was a diehard Fredette fan in college that I'm leaning towards him over others. I know its not a smart pick because he can't play any D and he isn't very fast or athletic but has infinite range. That said I'd still love it if he did get picked by the Suns. At the very least, he brings a lot of excitement in Phoenix because of his game. Can't the same about any other guy we might pick at that spot in the draft IMO.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
To the Basketball gods, please no Earl Clark type players. 6 foot 10, all the athleticism in the world, and the brain of a ******** goat. Also, as nice as it is to have a lottery pick, how many #13 picks actually be ANYTHING in the NBA? Whoever we pick is already up against the odds of being a successful NBA player.

Ed Davis -2010
Tyler Hansbrough - 2009
Brandon Rush - 2008
Julian Wright - 2007
Thabo Sefolosha - 2006
Sean May - 2005
Sebastian Telfair - 2004
Marcus Banks - 2003
Marcus Haislip - 2002
Richard Jefferson - 2001 - Only guy in this list who stands out.
Courtney Alexander - 2000

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I really hope this doesn't happen.

Fredette was an awesome college basketball player, but when I watch him, I can't help but think that he is Adam Morrison 2.0.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
To the Basketball gods, please no Earl Clark type players. 6 foot 10, all the athleticism in the world, and the brain of a ******** goat. Also, as nice as it is to have a lottery pick, how many #13 picks actually be ANYTHING in the NBA? Whoever we pick is already up against the odds of being a successful NBA player.

Ed Davis -2010
Tyler Hansbrough - 2009
Brandon Rush - 2008
Julian Wright - 2007
Thabo Sefolosha - 2006
Sean May - 2005
Sebastian Telfair - 2004
Marcus Banks - 2003
Marcus Haislip - 2002

That is a ridiculous argument, plenty of allstars were drafted later than #13

Kobe Bryant was actually the #13 pick.............

Nash #15

Besides Ed Davis is a very good young player.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
It's rare Slinslin and definitely not the norm to get a superstar in the mid to late first round.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ed Davis -2010
Tyler Hansbrough - 2009
Brandon Rush - 2008
Julian Wright - 2007
Thabo Sefolosha - 2006
Sean May - 2005
Sebastian Telfair - 2004
Marcus Banks - 2003
Marcus Haislip - 2002

And these are the #2 picks in the draft

2009 Hasheem Thabeet
2008 Michael Beasley
2007 Kevin Durant
2006 LaMarcus Alderidge
2005 Marvin Williams
2004 Emeka Okafor
2003 Darko Milicic
2002 Jay Williams
2001 Tyson Chandler
2000 Stromile Swift
1999 Steve Francis
1998 Mike Bibby
1997 Keith Van Horn
1996 Marcus Camby
1995 Antonio McDyess
1994 Jason Kidd
1993 Shawn Bradley

If we look at that list and take any of those players at 26 years old or so, I would only trade Gortat for Kidd, McDyess, Camby, Chandler, Durant (maybe for Okafor or Bibby). The odds of getting a player as good or better than Gortat are probably 4 or 5 out of 17. Why? Because Gortat is farther along and we now see what kind of player he is. The draft is a crap shoot at best. The smart move is to not gamble.

Every one of those players except Marvin Williams and Thabeet was more highly regarded than Derek Williams coming out. Just something to think about. The draft creates a wave of hype that makes teams and fans value picks more highly than they should.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And these are the #2 picks in the draft

2009 Hasheem Thabeet
2008 Michael Beasley
2007 Kevin Durant
2006 LaMarcus Alderidge
2005 Marvin Williams
2004 Emeka Okafor
2003 Darko Milicic
2002 Jay Williams
2001 Tyson Chandler
2000 Stromile Swift
1999 Steve Francis
1998 Mike Bibby
1997 Keith Van Horn
1996 Marcus Camby
1995 Antonio McDyess
1994 Jason Kidd
1993 Shawn Bradley

If we look at that list and take any of those players at 26 years old or so, I would only trade Gortat for Kidd, McDyess, Camby, Chandler, Durant (maybe for Okafor or Bibby). The odds of getting a player as good or better than Gortat are probably 4 or 5 out of 17. Why? Because Gortat is farther along and we now see what kind of player he is. The draft is a crap shoot at best. The smart move is to not gamble.

Umm Mike Bibby and Steve Francis had better careers than Gortat. KVH as well, you are being a homer here.

Gortat has played 30 good games in his entire career.

You wouldn't trade Gortat for LaMarcus Aldridge? Roflmao

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Gortat is the most overrated Suns player ever, seriously.

Woah, hyperbole at its finest.

He may be occasionally overrated on this board, but you severely undervalue him as a player and it is really frustrating.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Umm Mike Bibby and Steve Francis had better careers than Gortat. KVH as well, you are being a homer here.

Gortat has played 30 good games in his entire career.

You wouldn't trade Gortat for LaMarcus Aldridge? Roflmao

You disagree with me about Gortat, Slin? I am shocked:)

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You disagree with me about Gortat, Slin? I am shocked:)

You wouldn't trade Gortat for LaMarcus Aldridge? ;)

You say you would rather have Gortat who hasn't even played more than half a season on a decent level over players that were multiple allstars or borderline allstars drafted at #2 ?