2010 Cardinals' Roster Thoughts: The Offense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I am feeling especially candid this morning, so here goes:

QB: Ideally, Kurt Warner will return and lead the team to even greater heights. As I said in yesterday's post, I think his game is still evolving, as evidenced by the uncanny way in which he got the ball out of his hands this year with more decisiveness and quickness. His play in the red zone remains extraordinarily good.

I am not a Matt Leinart fan, nor have I ever been (as a pro---for it's hard to knock him as a college QB). I question his arm, his inconsistent mechanics which lead to high passes, and I seriously question his toughness and leadership. I do not think he's a fit in this system, and regardless of if or how well he plays this year, there is no way I could see the Cardinals paying him in the neighborhood of $14M in 2011. For all of these reasons, if it were up to me I would try to trade him, to at least get something back in return, rather than get nothing when they release him next year.

Leinart doesn't seem to have the one special aspect about his game that would get me excited. I thought coming out of USC it was his ability to read defenses and manage the team, but I have not seen these two things as particular strengths thus far at this level. In fact, I was dismayed at the several times this year he threw the ball up for grabs, and even more troubled by his lack of presence in the huddle and on the field. Yes, I was encouraged by his second half at Tennessee when he settled down his mechanics and started to throw more accurately, and I do concede that it's possible he will be able to this the more he plays, but I feel doubtful that he will bring enough leadership and skill to the position to be consistent winner.

Brian St. Pierre's back troubles are a major concern. At this point I could only see the team re-signing him as the #3 in order to groom the new QB or QBs, whomever he or they may be...but that's only if he is physically capable of running the scout team. If his back problems are not fixable, I could very well see Whiz hiring him as an offensive assistant, for St. Pierre has a great knowledge of the system and he's a valuable resource in the sideline huddles.

The player I like the best is Tarvaris Jackson of Minnesota. He's got the arm strength and when he beat us last year I thought he showed excellent touches on the fade routes. He's a good athlete. Jackson would have been an unrestricted free agent, but it looks like because of this year's circumstances he will be restricted. He was drafted in the 2nd round, so at the very least the Cardinal would have to give up a 2nd rounder to get him. I would do that. There is no QB in this draft, IMO, whom the Cardinals could get even in the late first round---let alone the 2nd round---as good as Jackson.

I would also like to see the Cardinals take a good look at Chad Pennington, who lacks the big time arm, but is tremendously accurate. I think he would be a valuable asset as a backup and potential starter if needed in that role. He's 34...which seems very young these days!

RB: The trio of Tim Hightower, Beanie Wells and LaRod Stephens-Howling is young, diverse and dynamic. The way Whiz used them this year was commendable...he catered their roles to suit their talents, and all of them responded. The main issue this off-season will be getting them even stronger and more focused on ball security.

While I like Jason Wright as a special teams' player, I don't think this year the team will need to keep 4 running backs. However, he is good insurance for depth at the position. I really liked what I saw in Chris Vincent this past pre-season and it would not surprise me if they invited him back to camp.

FB: I am more in favor of the team using a TE as the situational FB. I loved what Ben Patrick was doing as a lead blocker late in the season and I think that Stephen Spach could fit into that role well this year. Plus, Patrick and Spach should be able to catch the ball off play action better than Dan Kreider was able to. I would also be curious to see if Tim Hightower could play some two back sets with Beanie Wells and thus serve as an occasional FB...I absolutely loved the way he emerged as the blocking back in pass protection this year, and talk about a receiving threat, as a spot FB he could be thoroughly dynamic.

TE: I think we are just starting to see the makings of potential star in Ben Patrick, should he stay healthy and in good shape. He's embraced the physical aspects of the position and, as we saw versus the Packers, is a good receiving threat up the seams and in the flats. Anthony Becht played his role well and should be re-signed. Stephen Spach is a feisty competitor who should be much stronger and healthier next year. And I really liked the pass catching and RAC skills on Dominique Byrd. I am very happy to see him back and feel that he has a legitimate shot of playing this year, should he have a big camp.

WR: Because of the team's defensive needs, the team needs to trade Anquan Boldin, either for a player or a draft pick or both. As we all saw, Steve Breaston and Early Doucet stepped up admirably in Q's absence. Breaston and Doucet are very nice compliments and bring different skill sets to the unit. This year, I think we will see a faster, stronger and more determined Larry Fitzgerald. Fitz, by his own standards, was not entirely pleased with his play this past season and will be more focused than ever this off-season. As for WRs #4 and #5, it would appear that Jerheme Urban won't be re-signed and that as of right now PS holdovers Onrea Jones and Edward Gant will have legitimate chances to make the team. I think that because of age, health issues and roster considerations, it will be much harder for Sean Morey to stick.

For the #4 WR my hope is that the Cardinals are able to sign Jason Avant or Kevin Curtis of Philadelphia, who don't seem to figure in the Eagles' plans anymore due to the youth and depth they have at the position. Acquiring one of these guys would be huge in accounting for Q's loss.

At #5 WR, I am hoping the Cardinals draft a true burner who could also help in kickoff and punt returns.

One WR I love in this draft is Cincinnati's Mardy Gilyard. I think this kid is special. If the Cardinals wind up with two picks in the 2nd or 3rd round, I would be ecstatic if they were able to come away with Gilyard, assuming other needs have been addressed and accounted for.

T: I think the Cardinals should rely on their recent drafts and go with the switch of Levi Brown to LT, where I believe his drop step in coverage will be much more natural, sudden and balanced, and starting Brandon Keith or Herman Johnson at RT. Keith is such a good athlete for his size, and can be a mauler in the running game. And if he shows the right amount of agility and flexibility in his fan blocking he could be a very good player on the edge. I was also pleasanty surprised by Herman Johnson's play at RT in the pre-season. After getting toasted in the one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl practices last year, I would never have guessed he could look that comfortable, confident and natural at RT. It goes to show you what good coaching and preparation can do. Now we need to learn how he can hold up versus starting DEs.

I think it's imperative that the Cardinals re-sign Jeremy Bridges as he adds valuable depth at tackle and at guard. His late season starts at LT could motivate him to vie for a starting position at one of the tackles this year, which would make the competition and depth all the more attractive. I also would be in favor of the Cardinals re-signing Mike Gandy at a contract slightly above the veteran minimum...but, this time I'd like to see him challenge Reggie Wells for the LG spot, and act as a quality depth option at LT if need be.

I am also curious to see what the Cardinals have in the late season PS acquisition, Tom Pestock (6-6, 317, NW Missouri St.).

G: Apparently the Cardinals' coaches were a little disappointed with the inconsistency in Reggie Wells' play this year. I thought he looked pretty solid week after week. He looks much more physcially suited for the position than he did a couple of years ago, when at times, he was getting blown off the ball. I especially like his technique in pass blocking, as he sets up with a strong well-balanced base and gets well under the pads of the DTs. His pulls of the G Power looked pretty strong...he did on occasion stop a little in the hole when the opponents crashed on it, but on most occasions he singled out his block well and did a nice job leading or sealing off the play.

At RG Deuce Lutui is emerging as perhaps the Cardinals best and most aggressive offensive lineman. His mistakes were down this year, which was great and he did a much better job of initiating and sustaining his blocks. His weakness in the past technique-wise was in his fan blocking in pass protection as his setup wasn't quick enough and he tended to do a lot of reaching and grabbing as a result. This year he was much more skilled at getting into his base and stopping the DT in his tracks. Notice how many times Kurt Warner was able to step up comfortably into the pocket this year. The front three of Wells, Sendlein and Lutui were consistently effective walling off the inside.

If the team re-signs Bridges and/or Gandy the depth at guard should be solid, especially seeing as both Keith and Johnson can contribute there if needed. In addtion, the team has a young prospect in Jonathan Palmer (6-4, 336, Auburn) to consider.

C: Lyle Sendelin got my vote for Most Improved Player on Offense. To begin with he was much healthier and stronger this year. The consistency of his play was one of the major reasons why the Cardinals had such a good, and more balanced attack. His command of the assignment calls up front was impressive and his shotgun snaps were mostly on the money. I am hoping that the team inks Deuce Lutui and Lyle Sendlein to 4 year contracts this year. They are two talented young linemen to build around.

Ben Claxton wasn't needed, but was solid in the pre-season. He's in a good situation as the team's backup center.

K: I still believe in Neil Rackers. I do think that Kevin Spencer should improve Rackers' FG kicking routine so as to settle him down and to get him focused strictly on his fundamentals. It's hard not to love his versatility as an on-side kicking phenom and sometimes maniac tackler in coverage. The one area that I wish Rackers would improve is getting the touchback kickoff when the team has just won Uncle Mo over to their side. The dribble/sqib kickoffs following momentum changing TDs by the offense have often been ineffective and a little demoralizing. But, I also feel confident that Rackers has the best chemistry he's has with any of his holders in Ben Graham, who has been a very steadying influence on him.

LS: Mike Leach was excellent this year. Great signing.

P: Ben Graham is da bomb. This guy is the best all-around punter the Cardinals have had in Arizona. What a great find! Extend him to a 5 year deal, asap.

KR: LSH gave it all he had this past year. His KR TD at Tennessee was one of the great highlights this season. Next year, as his role in the offense expands, he will need to split time as the KR. But, I like his vision and his ability to weave through in traffic when he is forced to change directions. Plus, he's only going to get stronger and faster working with John Lott.

PR: Stevie Breaston's heart and mind---for the most part---were not into this role once again this year...although he did deliver big-time in the Viking game. Seeing as he will probably be the #2 WR next year, it's time to find another player for this role, and use Breaston in spot duty, especially when all the team needs is a fair catch.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
While tempting I just cant get behind the Tarvaris Jackson idea being floated around, not just by you by the way but others have brought it up as well. Had to think about it long and hard but I have come to conclusion, its a really bad idea. He is horribly inaccurate, one of the most inaccurate in the NFL today. While he did have 4 TD's against us that was probably his only good game, and we made him look good, he only had to complete 11 passes total against for only about 150 yards to get those 4 TD's.

Although he has been in the NFL for 4 years he just has not improved, and is still just as raw as a rookie would be IMO in terms of talent and accuracy. I really would rather just take a QB in the 2nd round then to send the Vikings a 2nd rounder plus give out a contract to a guy with starting aspirations.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
While tempting I just cant get behind the Tarvaris Jackson idea being floated around, not just by you by the way but others have brought it up as well. Had to think about it long and hard but I have come to conclusion, its a really bad idea. He is horribly inaccurate, one of the most inaccurate in the NFL today. While he did have 4 TD's against us that was probably his only good game, and we made him look good, he only had to complete 11 passes total against for only about 150 yards to get those 4 TD's.

Although he has been in the NFL for 4 years he just has not improved, and is still just as raw as a rookie would be IMO in terms of talent and accuracy. I really would rather just take a QB in the 2nd round then to send the Vikings a 2nd rounder plus give out a contract to a guy with starting aspirations.

Agreed... this issue of a back-up to Matty will turn out ot be another major problem for this team to somehow resolve. Should Kurt retire and Leinart take over, I am very certain we will be seeing a good deal of whomever it is that we place behind Matt...

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Leinart is QB, I'm not all that comfortable with Big Herman at RT

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I really liked Tarvaris Jackson coming out of college (remember how impressive he was at the Senior Bowl?)...and I was hoping the Cardinals would draft him...thus my interest in him isn't stricly recent or spontaneous. What gives me confidence in him as a fit in Arizona is what Whiz could do with him.

Prior to this year Joe, the Vikings' WRs weren't very good. Adding Percy Harvin and having Sydney Rice step up...and QB confidence in Favre...sure helped the Vikings to turn the corner.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Prior to this year Joe, the Vikings' WRs weren't very good. Adding Percy Harvin and having Sydney Rice step up...and QB confidence in Favre...sure helped the Vikings to turn the corner.

I honestly don't care what WR's any QB has, there is just no excuse for having a completion percentage below 60% in the NFL. Especially when teams have 8 to 9 guys sitting in the box to stop the run.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Good post Mitch.

You're post illustrates that, except for a potential (large) hole at QB, we're in good shape on offense.

I will go along with some reshuffling on the oline. I think Gandy's probably getting close to the end of his rope, although I appreciate everything he did for the team.

So if Warner doesn't come back, we could look at T. Jackson and Chad P. Interesting.

I share your lack of confidence in hollywood matt lienart, but vs. those two, I would rather fire matty out there for 2010, and give him one last chance to prove if he can he can get it done.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Sometimes, I think we tend to underestimate the impact that a coach and his system can have on a player, especially on a QB.

Is it purely coincidence that Kurt Warner's Rennaisance came when Whiz arrived?

Before Whiz arrived, Warner was particularly deliberate and tentative in the red zone, for example. Do you remember how frustrating it was watching Warner in those key situations?

There is no doubt in my mind that Whiz coached Warner and the offense up big-time in this regard, which is why the past two years the offense has been practically lights-out in the red zone (#1 in the NFL in Red Zone % this year).

Therefore, to dismiss QBs like Donovan McNabb or even Tarvaris Jackson as not being a good fit in this system is not taking into account what these players would receive in terms of coaching and support.

Other QBs might be "reborn" in this system the way Warner was.

I know this: there isn't a QB in America who wouldn't love to play in this offense and for a coach like Whiz. Sometimes, the positive energy and confidence that comes from playing in a multi-talented well-coached system is all it takes to get a player to achieve at a higher level.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am feeling especially candid this morning, so here goes:

QB:

In addressing the issue of QB, if Warner hangs it up....otherwise it's not really an issue.

Give Leinart the reighns for this year and see if he can become a leader w/o Warner hovering over. We all want to view this result.

Signing two experienced b/u's are a must and a priority. I like the diversity you chose of Pennington and Jackson. They each bring a different aspect to the game and Jackson would be excellent as a change of pace guy in the wildcat formation. Pennington has the experience you can't teach and would be invaluable as a starter should Leinart blow his opportunity, consistently. Then if the year's blown you can cut ties and see what Jackson can give you for the duration. Hopefully the Leinart situation works out and he's the guy for the future. In that case you resign him for a more managable figure long term. If not you have other options. Good call. Now we have to hear from Warner.

WR: Because of the team's defensive needs, the team needs to trade Anquan Boldin, either for a player or a draft pick or both. As we all saw, Steve Breaston and Early Doucet stepped up admirably in Q's absence. Breaston and Doucet are very nice compliments and bring different skill sets to the unit.

Here is where we disagree. In order for Leinart to show he is capable of taking over for a hall of famer he needs to have at least the same arsenal available that Warner had. That includes one of the toughest over the middle recievers in the game in AB. Yes we have multiple needs but if your going to go forward why take away what helped you become a major success in the first place. Maybe Boldin is the one who stays healthy next year while one of the others goes down. I for one want to see what Leinart can do next year with the full array of weapons at his disposal that Warner had. Otherwise you can't hold him completely accountable for the same level of play season long.

I give Warner his props for rising the level of play of the guys around him, that's what HOF's do. But we need to have the cast around his replacement in order to draw a real assesment of what we have moving ahead.

In an uncapped year Anquan is the most deserving Cardinal who has proven through the years his warrior attitude most befitting of a player deserving of being compensated. I don't imagine any player on the roster who would argue differetly. ;)

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
I still like the idea of having a rare talent on the team in a true fullback who can open holes without closing their eyes like Krieder and catch the ball very well as they should have learned in college once again unlike Krieder.

I'd like to see the team have one stud like Evans from the saints and a decent backup to help in running plays so Dockett and Watson don't have to get in the backfield.Fullback is just another unused weapon on the Cardinals like the tightend has been for years.

We are slowly adding the tight end with Patrick playing when not hurt and you can tell Whiz likes the idea of a fullback on the team as he replaced the one on the practice squad the day after another team stole the one we had. Yes they are kinda rare and the teams that do have them are special in the running game like the ravens and the eagles have a good fullback also. Really many teams do but we have'nt found one that can really open the wholes and have the speed to get in the flats and catch the ball and then blast for 10 more yards. They are out there though. I'd love to have one real one. A true stud. They can get to a hole and open it with seal blocks quicker than a pulling lineman can get there. Plus the angle they get there with is special.

With all that we need on defense,asking for a stud fullback to replace Krieder is like asking for Christmas in July. :)Krieder must go though.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good post as always.

Mitch, what are your thoughts on Tyler Thigpen? This kid has tools. Very much a dual threat at QB.

Threw for nearly 6000 yards while at Coastal Carolina where he was 30-8 as a starter.

In KC he threw for 22 tds in 11 starts. I know the team only won one of those games, but that was with Herman "can't coach his way out of a paper bag" Edwards.

This guy would thrive in our offense.

Let me add, that I was several of those games that he started in KC, and mean, he sure does pass the eye ball test. Still the best gauge of an athlete's abilities, IMO anyway.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
OT:

Really an unsettled position. IF there is a bonafide LT available where we draft at #26 , then I'd have to pull that trigger 1st.

1-There is no guarantee that Brown can settle into, opposite the speed rush spot any better than the RT spot he's occupied unspectacularly though improvingly over the last 3 seasons.

2-Though we want to see the potential of Keith and Herman They're going to get exploited out on the edge. Remember our secondary in the playoffs?!
They got exposed. Count on the same for these two.

3-Wells is the wild :newcards: in all this. He has maned to OT position for a whole season allready in the past. He may be the most viable choice heading into the season if Gandy is not re-signed. If that is the direction they want to go then someone like Iupati (G-Idaho) may be a direction the team may turn in the draft if his foot work is deemed very good to solidify the OL for the next few years.

Think outside the box. Who are some 2nd/3rd round LG prospects who look intriuging at this stage? Who has the footspeed and power to potentially solidify this line?

Zona_T6

Reaction score
wow, the idea of having Tim Hightower as a potential fullback was a great idea. I also noticed what a great blocker he is and thought to myself maybe he could play fb in times of need. Great idea, it would save a roster spot and he would do just as good a job as anyone else.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
wow, the idea of having Tim Hightower as a potential fullback was a great idea. I also noticed what a great blocker he is and thought to myself maybe he could play fb in times of need. Great idea, it would save a roster spot and he would do just as good a job as anyone else.
Plus we could get another breakaway threat as RB/K-PR type to add.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you don't like Matt Leinart's mechanics, how can you get behind Tavaris Jackson? He might have had the worst mechanics of any starting QB in the NFL last season.

People don't seem to understand that once Matt Leinart is the starting QB, the "system" isn't going to be anything like what the Cards are running now. It's going to be power-rushing with a deep play-action passing game. Similar to what the Miami Dolphins run. It's impossible to gauge Matt Leinart on the Kurt Warner offense, because it's not a system that Matt can run and I'm pretty sure it's not the offense that Whis wants to run.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you don't like Matt Leinart's mechanics, how can you get behind Tavaris Jackson? He might have had the worst mechanics of any starting QB in the NFL last season.

People don't seem to understand that once Matt Leinart is the starting QB, the "system" isn't going to be anything like what the Cards are running now. It's going to be power-rushing with a deep play-action passing game. Similar to what the Miami Dolphins run. It's impossible to gauge Matt Leinart on the Kurt Warner offense, because it's not a system that Matt can run and I'm pretty sure it's not the offense that Whis wants to run.

Watch the 4th quarter of the Vikings game for a glimpse of what the Cards offense will look like with Leinart. Solid power running by both our backs.

Before Whiz arrived, Warner was particularly deliberate and tentative in the red zone, for example. Do you remember how frustrating it was watching Warner in those key situations?

Dang Mitch why did you have to remind me of that? :D

2005 and 2006 it seemed like every drive ended in a Rackers FG attempt. 42 in '05 and 37 in '06. Compared to only 17 in 2009.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Watch the 4th quarter of the Vikings game for a glimpse of what the Cards offense will look like with Leinart. Solid power running by both our backs.

Dang Mitch why did you have to remind me of that? :D

2005 and 2006 it seemed like every drive ended in a Rackers FG attempt. 42 in '05 and 37 in '06. Compared to only 17 in 2009.
You can't just say "thats what it will look like". We need a whole offseason, training camp, pre-season, practices, game planning, etc. before we see how a run oriented system would work.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You can't just say "thats what it will look like". We need a whole offseason, training camp, pre-season, practices, game planning, etc. before we see how a run oriented system would work.

You might. I don't.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good post as always.

Mitch, what are your thoughts on Tyler Thigpen? This kid has tools. Very much a dual threat at QB.

Threw for nearly 6000 yards while at Coastal Carolina where he was 30-8 as a starter.

In KC he threw for 22 tds in 11 starts. I know the team only won one of those games, but that was with Herman "can't coach his way out of a paper bag" Edwards.

This guy would thrive in our offense.

Let me add, that I was several of those games that he started in KC, and mean, he sure does pass the eye ball test. Still the best gauge of an athlete's abilities, IMO anyway.

Red Desert, I like Tyler Thigpen. The one game I saw him play this year for Miami, he came in off the bench and led a furious comeback. he's the kind of QB who can get hot and when he does he tends to stay hot. He throws a nice ball. Plays with good tempo.

How about Boldin to Miami for QB Tyler Thigpen, TE Anthony Fasano and a 5th rounder?

Last edited:

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Red Desert, I like Tyler Thigpen. The one game I saw him play this year for Miami, he came in off the bench and led a furious comeback. he's the kind of QB who can get hot and when he does he tends to stay hot. He throws a nice ball. Plays with good tempo.

How about Boldin to Miami for QB Tyler Thigpen, TE Anthony Fasano and a 5th rounder?

How would you rate Fasano? I only ask because haven't seen him play......

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Make it a fourth rounder and I'm in. :raccoon:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

THIS!!!!!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think the top priority this year for the offense is to get a left tackle. Either use our number one draft pick or make our top free agent pick up a left tackle. We have nobody good enough to put in that spot. Levi Brown needs to be left where he is at RT. He is finally playing at a high level and getting comfortable with his position. Herman Johnson should start filling in for Reggie Wells this year so he will be able to take over the LG spot. I don't think he will ever have the feet to play tackle. I totally agree that we need to re-sign Deuce Lutui. Like Brown, Lutui finally had a solid year. He is going into his prime and this would be a great time to solidify our RG spot for the next four years.

I did not think I would ever be saying this but Lyle Sendlein has improved to the point that he is a quality starter. He's no probowler but he has become a good player. I would not mind re-signing him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Even if we draft an OT in the first round, I really doubt that he'll start as a rookie.

That's one thing that's so frustrating about the Dansby situation; this team has done such a good job at not forcing unprepared rookies into the starting lineup the past two or three years, and they've generally excelled.

The last rookie to be forced into the starting lineup? Levi Brown. :bang:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard