2008 San Francisco 49ers Season thread!!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cause you know we are winning the NFC WEST! I'm back on the Alex Smith bandwagon and Mike Martz can make this kid a pro.
You must be registered for see images

I will post more pictures after the 49ers beat the Cardinals again or when Neil Rackers misses another field goal.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As a lifelong diehard RAMS fan i can tell you that Mike Martz' gimmick offense is dated & flawed....not to mention that Isaac Bruce is a traitor! At least his production will be limited in numbers for ya'll.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Rackers might miss a field goal, but ol' skillet hands will cost you a few W's. Count on it!

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
I dont want to get my hopes up (like last year and be extremely dissapointed) but hiring Martz and seeing him teach the QB's at the Senior Bowl (reminded me of the video of Walsh and Montana and Walsh breaking down every step, every play), I am getting kinda excited for football. But baseball just arrived to Im still hooked into that lol

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Frank Gore says new OC Mike Martz has installed several packages that will put him in the backfield with Michael Robinson.

Say goodbye to Moran Norris?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sopoaga, Fields trade places on D-line
The wheels are in motion on a Niners defensive line that is going to look dramatically different this coming season without longtime regular DEs Bryant Young (retired) and Marques Douglas (free agent signed by Buccaneers) no longer around. Two prominent changes that have been made by creative D-line coach Jim Tomsula involve moving massive fifth-year pro Isaac Sopoaga from nose tackle to defensive end and fourth-year pro Ronald Fields, who had been considered a top candidate to replace Young at left end, inside to the nose. Sopoaga, whose temperament is considered much better suited for the outside, has an extremely quick first step. With his size — team insiders tell us he’s tipping the scales in the 340-pound range these days — and mobility, Sopoaga has the potential to consistently collapse the pocket. Fields, meanwhile, will be undersized (6-2, 321) in the middle, but what he lacks in size, the Niners believe he can make up for with what are considered the quickest hands on the line, which could make him a potential nuisance of the highest order for opposing centers. Provided he remains active and plays with leverage, team insiders tell us Tomsula believes Fields’ presence in the middle could also improve the defense’s ability to shut down the opposition’s inside run game, which was subpar much of last season.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfcwest

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
49ers Insider: A three-way tie at QB - for now
By Matthew Barrows - [email protected]

SANTA CLARA - The 49ers will assemble Monday for the first of 12 June practices that coach Mike Nolan hopes will give him at least a rough outline of his depth chart at quarterback.
As it stands, there isn't any depth.
Instead, there's a three-way race among Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan and Alex Smith to start.

As was the case during the three-day minicamp earlier this month, Hill and Smith will split the first-string repetitions during the upcoming organized team activities (OTAs) because they are learning a new offense.
O'Sullivan, meanwhile, is familiar with coordinator Mike Martz's system and won't receive as much work as the other two. Nolan, however, insisted that the former UC Davis quarterback is in the race to start.
Nolan said coaches will continue to evaluate the competition during the OTAs. The team will practice four times a week for the next three weeks.
"Whatever happens at the end of OTAs," Nolan said, "it's not the end of the race for anyone."
He said he nonetheless hopes to establish a quarterback pecking order for training camp, which begins July 24. By then, coaches want one player receiving most of the practice repetitions.
Tackle eligible

Rookie Chilo Rachal will go through the OTAs at a new position: right tackle.
The team's second-round draft pick played guard at USC and lined up at right guard during the 49ers' minicamp.
However, the team has little depth at tackle behind starters Joe Staley and Jonas Jennings. Nolan said Rachal has the desire and the necessary body type to slide out and play tackle. He'll play with the second team behind Jennings.
"To me, (Rachal) looked like a tackle from the day I saw him," Nolan said.
No reply

Guard Larry Allen has not said if he plans to retire.
Allen, a free agent since his contract expired in February, started at left guard for the 49ers the last two seasons.
He did not participate in the team's offseason activities last year but remained in phone contact with Nolan. This offseason, Nolan has been unable to reach Allen, 36, despite repeated attempts.
The team is proceeding as if Allen won't return, and Adam Snyder is the starter at Allen's former position.
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/978666.html

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Faulk: It was all on me
Here's the full transcript of the interview CoCo Times columnist Cam Inman and I did with Marshall Faulk yesterday. The most revealing answer, for me at least, involves Faulk's role early in his Rams career when the St. Louis quarterbacks were just learning Martz's system. He says Martz leaned heavily on him almost as if he was the quarterback. The implication, of course, is that Frank Gore will have a similar responsibility this season. Everyone knew Gore would have a big role this year, but it's likely going to be bigger than we imagined.
Faulk was in town with his role as an analyst with NFL Network. He spent time with Gore, with Martz and with tight end Vernon Davis. (Davis said that Faulk predicted he would have a big season in Martz's offense). As of now, the plan is for those clips to appear sporadically during the offseason. If I find out specific air times, I'll let you know. ****UPDATE***** It looks as if NFL.com has a brief segment from Faulk's visit that can be found here. I'm told there will be more from the visit that will apear on NFL Network in coming weeks. By the way, remember that collison between Keith Lewis and Patrick Willis I wrote about yesterday? That happens on the Shaun Hill-to-Davis pass in this clip.
On the similarities between Martz's current and previous offenses:
It's a little different from when I got Mike. I was in an offense that featured me catching the ball with the Colts, coming out of the backfield. Mike ventured out with putting me at receiver.
On Gore's potential as a pass catcher:
He'll slowly bring Frank along in that aspect. I know a lot of people, including myself, wondering how does that match up, how is that going to work? Because Frank seems like a one-dimensional back. But I think he hasn't been used in that way and Mike is going to bring him along slowly. I think Frank is going to be an every-down back and has the capabilities to be an every down back.
On whether Gore is "fighting the ball" when it's thrown his way:
It happens. It's natural. When you don't catch the ball often, and when the ball's thrown to you and you need to catch it, you try to make sure you catch it instead of just accepting it. Guys that catch that ball, they catch the ball effortless(ly). You guys saw Jerry (Rice) catch the ball around here. You never saw him push the ball, you saw him absorb it. I watched Frank fight the ball in that aspect. He can catch the ball. I've watched him at the Pro Bowl and he catches the ball pretty well.
On role of the RB in Martz's offense:
The running back in this offense is the problem solver. He's the key ingredient. If you have a running back that can move around and do multiple things, it puts the stress on the defense. Most of the times you see a running back in the I (formation), you know he's going to do this. When you see the running back come in the game, you know what he's going to do. Well, when the running back moves around and he's able to catch the ball, your offense becomes more of an enigma to people, and they wonder what is he going to do. What do I put in? Are they going to put in the power game? Are they going to move Frank out?
On additional problems for the defense:
You throw Vernon in that. They can go two receivers with Vernon and Frank and flex Vernon out, it causes mismatches. They have to decide if they want to play the run or the pass.
On Gore's most important role in the offense:
Frank's doing a lot of things, and I told him the No. 1 thing is protecting the quarterback. That's what becomes hard for backs who haven't sat back there and watched people walk around, and decide which guy they have. When one of the lineman takes a guy, you know which guy to take to fix it.
On Gore's ability as a pass blocker:
We don't know (if protects well). I have not seen him in that aspect like he's going to be in this system. Maybe he had been, but whether it was his fault or not, you wouldn't know. In this offense, you're going to know when Frank's guy is the guy and he missed him. You're going to know.
On Faulk's role when the Rams quarterbacks were still learning the system:
It was all on me. The onus was on me to control a lot of things within our offense. Frank is going to be in that same way. He's the core. It's all going to be built around him.
In a sense, it asks a lot of you, and you've got to ask more of yourself, because you've got to be out there on the field. I can remember a time when Mike would call timeouts and say, 'Catch your breath. We've got to get you back in the game.'
On whether Faulk's blocking skills were overlooked:
It not only gets overlooked by people, but sometimes by running backs. It's the hardest thing to practice. You tell a defensive end or outside linebacker to just rush you, and now you have to fight this man. It's like telling somebody to hit you in the face. But you just get better at it. First you have to know who to get before you get them. It's who to get, and then how to get them.
On whether he feels like he's venturing into enemy territory:
I'm behind enemy lines right now, without a doubt. Other than coach Nolan, the only thing that would get me here is my job.
On mentoring Gore:
I don't call it tutoring. We just talk football. Frank's a polished athlete. We talk football and I try to have conversations with him just about the game in general.
-- Matt Barrows
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/013174.html

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooh, I like the Gore stuff. I need a good year from him for my FFL team.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS IS AN ARIZONA BOARD!!1!

/pantiesinbunch

How ironic is it that you get your panties in a bunch about us wanting this to be a AZ board yet at any chance you post about how we wanna keep it that way (panties in a bunch there lil guy?) Or maybe the fact your at the Cards Stadium yelling, or at least in your case, joining the ones that alrady are, yelling at opposing fans for being in out Stadium with the others jersey on?

Ya.. This is Az Baby!

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Martz looking to use both of his tight ends.......
SANTA CLARA – When Vernon Davis watches film of Mike Martz's past offenses, he doesn't follow the tight end. He is told instead to watch receivers Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt streaking downfield.
And therein lies one of the biggest differences between Martz's St. Louis Rams offenses from early this decade and the one he is building in San Francisco. He'll still use four receivers to put pressure on defensive backs. Two of those receivers just might happen to be tight ends.
"I don't know if anyone in the league can run like he can at that position," Martz, the 49ers' first-year offensive coordinator, said of Davis. "He gets down the field so fast. I don't know who beats him in a footrace."

Martz said none of his offensive players worked harder this spring than Davis, who was on the field before practice started and hung around after it ended to hone his receiving skills.
Davis entered the NFL in 2006 very much the opposite of most young tight ends. He was a willing and able blocker who relished the opportunity to put an opposing linebacker on his back.
But sometimes that ability worked against him.
Davis caught a respectable 52 passes for 509 yards last season, but he disappeared from the passing game for long stretches because he was being used as a blocker.
"I would say I didn't have many opportunities to really showcase my talent," Davis said.
That shouldn't be an issue in Martz's offense. Davis said his biggest task this offseason has been polishing his pass routes. And he has used film of Bruce, Holt and other former Martz receivers as a model, signaling that the 49ers' tight end will run routes atypical for his position.
"Instead of breaking down and head-faking and doing all these things, we're going to use his speed," Martz said. "And I think he understands that really well at this point."
While Martz was familiar with Davis upon joining the 49ers, he said he has been pleasantly surprised by another 49ers tight end, Delanie Walker. A wide receiver in college, Walker always has shown quick hands and elusiveness after the catch in practice. But he has been lightly utilized in games.
Martz was so impressed with Walker during organized team activities (OTAs) that Martz has over the past two weeks installed new plays just for him.
"He has some real wow factor to him," Martz said. " … You talk about some jets and some ability to run and eat up the field. Holy cow. I didn't know anything about Delanie until I got here."
Having Davis and Walker in the game also will keep defenses guessing.
Davis in particular is one of the league's premier blocking tight ends, and that ability meshes well with what running back Frank Gore, the focal point of the offense, does best.
"He's such a violent, physical blocker," Martz said, noting that many modern tight ends are more finesse-oriented, content to simply keep defenders at bay. "Vernon will try to knock you out. He's such a pleasant blend of power and physical with speed.
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1034766.html

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2242043
When the 11-on-11 period of practice began this morning, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith got off to a rough start.
He overshot Frank Gore down the field, he gave Delanie Walker a difficult pass to handle (Walker caught it), then he overthrew Walker, resulting in a Patrick Willis interception. His fourth pass was low to Zak Keasey. Incomplete.
That's when offensive coordinator Mike Martz reminded Smith to bend his knees. Smith, frustrated with his subpar series, grabbed a ball and threw a few passes to rookie quarterback Kyle Wright while Shaun Hill was working with the No. 2 offense.
When Smith returned to the field with the offensive starters, he looked like a completely different quarterback.
Smith completed his final 10 passes of practice, including two beautiful throws to split end Bryant Johnson. One was a deep out in which he squeezed the ball into Johnson at the sideline despite good coverage from Nate Clements. Another notable pass was a 24-yard TD strike to Johnson against the coverage of Shawntae Spencer and Mark Roman
Good recovery for Alex Smith.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Niners WRs are a joke.

Martz calling plays for Gore and Davis is scary though.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
High praise for Joe Staley.

49ers' Staley one of the 10 best LTs?
You must be registered for see images attach

July 30, 2008 3:33 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando StaleySANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 49ers are excited about Joe Staley taking over at left tackle. Others are taking notice as well. Former NFL scout Tom Marino, now with Scout.com, ranks Staley among the 10 best left tackles in the NFL, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Marino's top five: Buffalo's Jason Peters, St. Louis' Orlando Pace, Seattle's Walter Jones, Dallas' Flozell Adams and Carolina's Jordan Gross. Marino then lists Staley among five players receiving honorable mention.
The other four: New England's Matt Light, Washington's Chris Samuels, Cleveland's Joe Thomas and Philadelphia's Tra Thomas.
Marino's assessment draws three of the 10 left tackles in the league from the NFC West. Pace has hardly played over the last two seasons, however, and Jones has battled through injuries that have prevented him from dominating as thoroughly. Pace and Jones are feeling better this summer. Their teams will improve if they regain top form.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-0-225/49ers--Staley-one-of-the-10-best-LTs-.html

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard