2 USC items BCS strips 04 NC, and McNair sues NCAA

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first was expected and at this point pretty uninteresting to me.

the second is potentially interesting, if the case actually goes to court McNair would then allow the NCAA to depose witnesses and subpoena phone records etc. He's charging them with slander, libellous statements and said they are guilty of misconduct that harmed his career.

it will be interesting, the assumption has always been USC wouldn't sue because they didn't want the NCAA to have access to discovery to get information they can't normally get.

But remember, Tark sued the NCAA and they eventually settled to avoid the suit. In that case I read the NCAA tried to get a change of venue from the trial set for Vegas, and when the judge denied change of venue, they decided they wouldn't get a fair trial so they settled.

I'm sure some big USC booster/lawyer convinced McNair he could win this so it'll be interesting to watch. I don't care if he does win there is more than enough evidence that says he did what the NCAA said, but it will be interesting to watch it unfold.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is McNair?

Sorry Todd McNair the ex NFL RB who was the RB coach at USC. he was the guy that essentially was ruled to have had knowledge that Bush was taking money and did nothing. He is denying it and saying the NCAA slandered him.

He is the guy that denied he knew Lloyd Lake who was one of the agents involved with Bush. Lake then produced a picture of himself and McNair which he gave to the NCAA. McNair claimed Lake had probably walked up to him at a party and asked if he could take a pic with him and they went into this whole deal about phone records that showed McNair had spoken to Lake by phone for several minutes. Lake said the purpose of that call was to get McNair's help in getting Bush to comply with the agreement he had with the agents, he was "straying" and they wanted McNair to get him back in line. the point being if the call happened in the way Lake said, clearly McNair knew Bush had a deal with agents.

It was one of THE keys to their case it showed USC had cause to know about Bush. McNair was the one guy who got a show cause ruling from the NCAA for 1 year.

714area

Reaction score
FYI

Just so people have their facts straight rather than spreading false information. First off I will state the obvious. If someone is guilty and they have solid information "should have known" does not get used. Secondly the photo one talks about is not real. 7 photo's were turned in. The only one that shows Lake and McNair in the same photo was turned in out of it's original format. 6 of the 7 photos were turned in as jpg's. The only one with the 2 in it was turned in as a psd file. A photoshop product. Next Lakes testimony says that McNair called Lake that night of the 2:30 phone call. Phone records prove it was Lake that called McNair not the other way around (and the NCAA never went back and asked Lake why he lied on his testimony). Also the NCAA during McNairs testimony they kept on asking McNair about the 2:30 phone on the date of jan8, 2005. Not Jan8,2006 when the phone call actually occurred. So they assumed that he was lying based on their errors. So in reality McNair has yet to defend himself on the dates of question. When this was brought to the NCAA's attention (McNair even tried to correct the interviewers on the date) they chose not to go back and ask a single question. Even when their case is based on this phone call.

Lastly Russ Smith Lake never said under testimony why he called McNair. The NCAA threw that reason in their without lake ever saying that. Everything I state is easy to review under appeal.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just so people have their facts straight rather than spreading false information. First off I will state the obvious. If someone is guilty and they have solid information "should have known" does not get used. Secondly the photo one talks about is not real. 7 photo's were turned in. The only one that shows Lake and McNair in the same photo was turned in out of it's original format. 6 of the 7 photos were turned in as jpg's. The only one with the 2 in it was turned in as a psd file. A photoshop product. Next Lakes testimony says that McNair called Lake that night of the 2:30 phone call. Phone records prove it was Lake that called McNair not the other way around (and the NCAA never went back and asked Lake why he lied on his testimony). Also the NCAA during McNairs testimony they kept on asking McNair about the 2:30 phone on the date of jan8, 2005. Not Jan8,2006 when the phone call actually occurred. So they assumed that he was lying based on their errors. So in reality McNair has yet to defend himself on the dates of question. When this was brought to the NCAA's attention (McNair even tried to correct the interviewers on the date) they chose not to go back and ask a single question. Even when their case is based on this phone call.

Lastly Russ Smith Lake never said under testimony why he called McNair. The NCAA threw that reason in their without lake ever saying that. Everything I state is easy to review under appeal.

I think you're arguing the wrong point, the NCAA asked McNair if he knew lake and he insisted he didn't. I don't know about your cellphone but mine's not public knowledge, so if someone calls me, they either know me well enough to have my #, or they got me by accident. Don't care if Lake called McNair or the other way around, unless you seriously think he had McNair's number but didn't know him any record of a call either way proves McNair lied about knowing Lake.

That's what McNair got in trouble for, lying to the NCAA, once they believe he lied, everything else he tells them is considered less credible.

The date thing is ridiculous, you use that stuff to try and get out of something on a technicality but the NCAA isn't a court of law, they're only interested in if you did it or not. If they got the year wrong big deal, McNair clearly knew which call they were referring to and why they were asking so claiming his answer was based on them having the wrong year is just nonsense.

Look I get it 714 you're a USC fan and you don't like what happened to USC but you're mad at the wrong people, be mad at Reggie Bush, be mad at Pete Carroll for letting it happen, be mad at McNair. Don't be mad at reporters and the NCAA and others, don't shoot the messenger. It happened, Bush took money, there's plenty of evidence that USC should have known about it and that McNair likely did know about it, they did nothing, they got tneir punishment.

Right now it seems to pale in comparison to what Ohio State is going to get.

714area

Reaction score
the date has everything to do with it. their whole case is based on a 2006 phone call after reggie left the school. they are trying to say it occured a year before. The ncaa is saying thats when McNair knew.

How in the world would anyone at usc know what reggies parents were doing in san diego. if you read lakes testimony it states "everything went down like a drug deal. behind closed doors nobody could know about it".

and i agree everybody should have been aware of it but and reggie should not have been greedy. But the NCAA broke its own by-laws, flat out lied, and dug up 20 yr old penalties to justify their punishment.

watch. OU, UNC, LSU, UM will skate they wont even sniff at the SEC. If you think the NCAA is fair then your well to be polite you out of the loop. It takes 1 persons word to bring down a pac 12 school. But a father admitting wrong doing, 4 x-player admitting taking cash, coach and wife from another unniversity giving testimony, $60,000.00 new vehicle wont get you in trouble in the SEC.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the date has everything to do with it. their whole case is based on a 2006 phone call after reggie left the school. they are trying to say it occured a year before. The ncaa is saying thats when McNair knew.

How in the world would anyone at usc know what reggies parents were doing in san diego. if you read lakes testimony it states "everything went down like a drug deal. behind closed doors nobody could know about it".

and i agree everybody should have been aware of it but and reggie should not have been greedy. But the NCAA broke its own by-laws, flat out lied, and dug up 20 yr old penalties to justify their punishment.

watch. OU, UNC, LSU, UM will skate they wont even sniff at the SEC. If you think the NCAA is fair then your well to be polite you out of the loop. It takes 1 persons word to bring down a pac 12 school. But a father admitting wrong doing, 4 x-player admitting taking cash, coach and wife from another unniversity giving testimony, $60,000.00 new vehicle wont get you in trouble in the SEC.

Wow 2 months between replies you must never read the board.

FYI Reggie Bush was still at USC on January 8 2006, he didn't declare for the draft until January 12th 2006 and he wasn't drafted for months after. So that part of your argument is out the window.

The phone call wasn't their whole case, hell they even said in the charges that Lake and Michaels paid for the limo that took Bush to the Heisman awards show the day he won the Heisman, they had plenty of evidence against Bush.

The key to McNair is he was the direct tie that said not only should USC have known, they did know, at least one coach, Todd McNair knew.

as for the how would USC know you gotta be kidding. Bush shows up parking his newly pimped out car on campus, in the parking lot at football practice, and nobody at USC knew that?

714area

Reaction score
Wow 2 months between replies you must never read the board

Sorry this place is not my usual rag.

FYI Reggie Bush was still at USC on January 8 2006, he didn't declare for the draft until January 12th 2006 and he wasn't drafted for months after. So that part of your argument is out the window.

But your wrong. Look up when he played his last game. Their lies your answer...

The phone call wasn't their whole case, hell they even said in the charges that Lake and Michaels paid for the limo that took Bush to the Heisman awards show the day he won the Heisman, they had plenty of evidence against Bush.

Really? This is the crap you come up with? Your wrong again. The Heisman people pay for his travel which would include a limo.

The key to McNair is he was the direct tie that said not only should USC have known, they did know, at least one coach, Todd McNair knew.

Ok I believe you. But where is the proof? Give me a link of something other than hearsay.

as for the how would USC know you gotta be kidding. Bush shows up parking his newly pimped out car on campus, in the parking lot at football practice, and nobody at USC knew that?

Seriously you make this to easy. Do your homework before you type. You look foolish for your lack of knowledge of the case and you and other peoples misinformation is pathetic. So what tricked out ride are we talking. I have heard Hummers, Porch, Bently's. The truth of the matter was a old beat up 1996 Impala. But i will say this it did get everyones attention. Only because it was such a piece of sh*t.
As people say "Unniversity of Spoiled Children". Having a parking lot full of nice cars is something that does not turns heads at USC. As given the name. And yes it was tricked out after he was at the saints.

[/quote]
now what

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry this place is not my usual rag.

But your wrong. Look up when he played his last game. Their lies your answer...

Really? This is the crap you come up with? Your wrong again. The Heisman people pay for his travel which would include a limo.

Ok I believe you. But where is the proof? Give me a link of something other than hearsay.

Seriously you make this to easy. Do your homework before you type. You look foolish for your lack of knowledge of the case and you and other peoples misinformation is pathetic. So what tricked out ride are we talking. I have heard Hummers, Porch, Bently's. The truth of the matter was a old beat up 1996 Impala. But i will say this it did get everyones attention. Only because it was such a piece of sh*t.
As people say "Unniversity of Spoiled Children". Having a parking lot full of nice cars is something that does not turns heads at USC. As given the name. And yes it was tricked out after he was at the saints.

[/quote]
now what

So the day the season ended Bush ceased to be at USC? he was still there attending classes(we hope) when he declared for the draft, you were wrong about the dates you can easily google the day he declared he was still at USC on the date you said he wasn't.

On the tricked out car where exactly did I say it was new or a Porsche? He had an older car and after he met with the agents, he suddenly tricked out the car. The original Yahoo! story correctly identified it as a 96 Impala SS and said the car was bought for Bush and then tricked out with high performance tires, expensive rims, and an expensive new stereo system. this was his everyday car he was parking it in the parking lot at football practices. You really think nobody noticed? The reports indicated they spent 13K on the car.

Yes i get that USC students have money, Bush wasn't the normal USC student and the coaches are supposed to notice when a kid who doesn't have money suddenly has a car, then it suddenly has 13K worth of enhancements to it.

They paid for suits for his stepfather and brother for the Heisman ceremony, a makeover for his mom before the ceremony, and the limo transportation to the event for the family which purportedly included Reggie.

You can find the list of the violations all over the place here is just one link
http://www.askdro.com/2011/06/usc-s...n-investigation-findings-against-reggie-bush/

I already told you how they tied mcNair in, he insisted he didn't know people yet they know for a fact they had spoken on the phone and there were pictures of them with McNair, he said they'd never met. USC fans insist the guy posed with McNair as a fan, yeah because Todd McNair was such a famous guy a guy trying to start a sports marketing business is going to pose for pics with him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen