17.7 million left to spend....what do you hope the Cardinals do with the remaining monies?

Where do go with the rest of cap space

• Total voters

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right....and again...you're missing my point. $16 million isn't even the top contract for a corner. $21 million is. And the next good corner hitting free agency likely gets $22 million. So $16 million is more like good not great cornerback money.

$16 million won't be an overpay next year.
There are only 10 CBs in the NFL that make over 16 mil per season.
There are only 22 CBs in the NFL that make over 10 mil per season.
There are 64 starting CBs in the NFL.

There is not going to be a spike in CB contracts that increases the % of starting CBs making over 16 mil. Currently 15.6 % of starting CBs make over 16 mi. Only one of those contracts was a FA signing with a new team this year. That was JC Jackson and Murphy is not close to the player JC Jackson is. You might get one or two players who get a contract like that next year and they likely will not come from the FA class. They will more likely be players like Alexander and Ward who get an extension prior to their 5th year option season.

Again, you don't pay Jared Goff 40 mil because Kyler signed for 45 mil and QB contracts continue to go up. That is just paying an average player above average money. That is where you let another team make that mistake. You either find a top player to pay, draft one, or pay a vet a lower salary and get similar production. Hell, Stephon Gilmore is making 10 mil this year with the Colts. Pay that vs Murphy at your projected 16.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byron Murphy would never get close to 16m on the open market.

He's not even a top 10 slot, never mind a top 10 CB.

There isn't a slot DB in the league gets paid more than 9 mil.

Paying him anything over 12m would be super dumb.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
apologies if this is already been posted, but:

Gambo was emphatic yesterday that there will be a trade for a CB after the Ravens pre-season game

level of player, what kind of comp, etc -- no info.

some pure speculation on my part -- based on players that may not be in the plans of the current team, heading into the final year of contract, etc

CJ Henderson, Carolina. They acquired him last year when JC Horn went down. Do they need him this year?

Greedy Williams, Clev. Final year of contract and passed by Denzel Ward and Craig Newsome (both 1st round picks). Ward is coming off an injury, so I dont know.

Jeff Okudah, DET. Coming off an achilles injury, and wasnt great prior. Prior regime drafted him. He doesnt start and Det signed Mike Hughes to play the 3rd spot.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
apologies is this is already been posted, but:

Gambo was emphatic yesterday that there will be a trade for a CB after the Ravens pre-season game

level of player, what kind of comp, etc -- no info.

some pure speculation on my part -- based on players that may not be in the plans of the current team, heading into the final year of contract, etc

CJ Henderson, Carolina. They acquired him last year when JC Horn went down. Do they need him this year?

Greedy Williams, Clev. Final year of contract and passed by Denzel Ward and Craig Newsome (both 1st round picks). Ward is coming off an injury, so I dont know.

Jeff Okudah, DET. Coming off an achilles injury, and wasnt great prior. Prior regime drafted him. He doesnt start and Det signed Mike Hughes to play the 3rd spot.

Marcus Peters too. He's in a contract year coming off injury. Just come off PUP 2 days ago. Should be available for a low round pick.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ross Cockrell was cut yesterday. He's a solid CB.
A guy will be on his 5th team in 6 years is a “solid” cb??? If he’s so solid why does he have a hard time finding a home? Are the teams dumb? Are they Just so deep they don’t need solid CBs? Even as depth?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A guy will be on his 5th team in 6 years is a “solid” cb??? If he’s so solid why does he have a hard time finding a home? Are the teams dumb? Are they Just so deep they don’t need solid CBs? Even as depth?

He has 100 games, 50 starts and a SB ring. That's "solid".

He also has one career year with PFF rating below 68 and 4 over 70.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has 100 games, 50 starts and a SB ring. That's "solid".

He also has one career year with PFF rating below 68 and 4 over 70.
Some guys luck into situations. 5 teams in 6 years and less then an int a year average has some serious red flags. Jmo… not opposed just think “solid” is kinda over the top. Solid legit nfl CBs don’t jump teams like that. PFF = lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some guys luck into situations. 5 teams in 6 years and less then an int a year average has some serious red flags. Jmo… not opposed just think “solid” is kinda over the top. Solid legit nfl CBs don’t jump teams like that. PFF = lol

We're not exactly dripping with CB depth.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL. Lots of "Solid" guys getting cut before the second preseason game. Potential starters abound! Just check their PFF ratings!

A lot of teams cut solid vets around now because they have someone younger and cheaper showing promise.

They do it to give guys time to catch on somewhere else. Which is why the Jags cut Malcom Brown.

He was Football Outsiders 21st ranked CB last year. 3rd vs pass. Albeit in a part time role.

From FO on his last year in Carolina...

"Ross Cockrell have been outstanding, particularly when taking into account the expectations for him coming into the year."

Warren Sharp 2019 "Secret defensive superstars"

From his time in New York,

As I said. Solid.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
LOL. Lots of "Solid" guys getting cut before the second preseason game. Potential starters abound! Just check their PFF ratings!
Didn't a lot of veterans used to be cut before the last preseason game when it was 4 games so they had better odds of catching on with another team before the flood of cuts at the end? That's what I thought when Kingsley Keke was cut - he probably wasn't the last DL in line, but might have the best chance to stick somewhere else once the Cards realized he wasn't in their plans.

Not saying that makes them quality starters, but just a factor about why they might be cut early.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As solid as Kingsley Keke. There's just some people that will eat everyone's garbage.

Keke was cut due to health, but show me the articles on Keke like I linked above?

Cockrell has been a decent CB that has done well on multiple teams and multiple schemes. He's particularly good in zone that Vance favors, with good read and react skills.

He'd probably be the 2nd best CB on the roster if we picked him up.

Solid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't a lot of veterans used to be cut before the last preseason game when it was 4 games so they had better odds of catching on with another team before the flood of cuts at the end? That's what I thought when Kingsley Keke was cut - he probably wasn't the last DL in line, but might have the best chance to stick somewhere else once the Cards realized he wasn't in their plans.

Not saying that makes them quality starters, but just a factor about why they might be cut early.

Yeah they do. Teams cut solid vets guys early so they can catch on elsewhere every year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I know the NFL has a lot of strange cap rules but can someone explain to me how we have 17 million in cap space but the Rams have a payroll 70 million higher than ours?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Keke was cut due to health, but show me the articles on Keke like I linked above?

Cockrell has been a decent CB that has done well on multiple teams and multiple schemes. He's particularly good in zone that Vance favors, with good read and react skills.

He'd probably be the 2nd best CB on the roster if we picked him up.

Solid.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeesh.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Boy, I'm sure waiting for all these big signings we were supposed to make with the glut of talent that was going to be available due to us keeping our powder dry.
:sarcasm:
Maybe we do sign some castoff depth-type players, but I recall some posters here totally playing down the holes on our roster because plenty of starting talent would just fall into our laps. Please let me know when that somehow happens.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the NFL has a lot of strange cap rules but can someone explain to me how we have 17 million in cap space but the Rams have a payroll 70 million higher than ours?
If they have deferred payments to other years, it can be the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson