15 thoughts - Chiefs game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Best part of the evening was the memory of Pat Tillman.

2 – Embarrassing defense right out of the gate.

3 – I wonder if there are some interesting clauses in Keim’s and Kingsbury’s contracts. From the start it was mindblowing that they got them, so maybe it is easy for Mr. Bidwill to get out of them? #InsertPictureOfStraw

4 – Greg Dortch is a keeper. Easily better than every other wide receiver not named DeAndre Hopkins or Hollywood Brown.

5 – I wonder how they will use the #1 pick.

6 – Nice move by Kingsbury to throw his defensive backs under the bus a day before the game. Did it hurt anything? I don’t know. Did it help anything? No.

7 – Acceptable game by Sean Harlow at left guard (and one of only two offensive linemen to play all snaps).

8 – D-line no-show.

9 – Cool that Kingsbury and Kyler Murray disagree about the practice level- and mentality during the week. Conflicting views from the two most important persons on your team is always a recipe for success.

10 – It happens every year that teams start bad. Adjustment can be made (most likely not by the Cards, but you know…), and success can be found.

P.S. I am not sure if I will buy NFL Gamepass this year (for various reasons). If not, then I will not be able to watch the Cards’ games, and thus write these columns. I still don’t know, but I would like to thank everyone who has read- and commented throughout several years.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

3 – I wonder if there are some interesting clauses in Keim’s and Kingsbury’s contracts. From the start it was mindblowing that they got them, so maybe it is easy for Mr. Bidwill to get out of them? #InsertPictureOfStraw

4 – Greg Dortch is a keeper. Easily better than every other wide receiver not named DeAndre Hopkins or Hollywood Brown.

6 – Nice move by Kingsbury to throw his defensive backs under the bus a day before the game. Did it hurt anything? I don’t know. Did it help anything? No.

7 – Acceptable game by Sean Harlow at left guard (and one of only two offensive linemen to play all snaps).

8 – D-line no-show.

9 – Cool that Kingsbury and Kyler Murray disagree about the practice level- and mentality during the week. Conflicting views from the two most important persons on your team is always a recipe for success.

10 – It happens every year that teams start bad. Adjustment can be made (most likely not by the Cards, but you know…), and success can be found.

P.S. I am not sure if I will buy NFL Gamepass this year (for various reasons). If not, then I will not be able to watch the Cards’ games, and thus write these columns. I still don’t know, but I would like to thank everyone who has read- and commented throughout several years.
I agree with all but #7

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What did they say about practice levels?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to PFF we actually had 2 elite performances on defense - I know hard to believe, but 8 of the 11 players were below 50 so it makes it more believeable.

The 2 players were Gardeck, and surprisingly Rashard Lawrence.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#7 ummm Harlow was by far the worst OL. He literally got rated a 0 for the game in pass protection.

Yeah he got better in the 2nd half but in the first half he was terrible.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the last several years I have wished and pleaded for us to take a run stuffing, space eating NG and DT in round one. Lots of people say, "No you can't take that position in the first round, value, blah, blah, blah..." i respond I am sick of teams ripping us right up the gut with runs. And Keim has gone cheap on that position for a good decade.

What happened the first two plays of the Chiefs? Big gains on runs right up the gut. I knew right THEN we were toast.

Frankly I am sick of it. Yet, next spring, I will be told you can't draft a run stuffer in round 1.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For the last several years I have wished and pleaded for us to take a run stuffing, space eating NG and DT in round one. Lots of people say, "No you can't take that position in the first round, value, blah, blah, blah..." i respond I am sick of teams ripping us right up the gut with runs. And Keim has gone cheap on that position for a good decade.

What happened the first two plays of the Chiefs? Big gains on runs right up the gut. I knew right THEN we were toast.

Frankly I am sick of it. Yet, next spring, I will be told you can't draft a run stuffer in round 1.
Wrong aj, you’ll be told “You can’t draft a run stuffer #1 overall.” ;)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff should study Pete Caroll. Kyler should study Russell Wilson.
Kyler would be so effective under Center. Watch Wilson take the snap turn to his left faking the handoff and rolling to his right. Nobody within 10 yards of him. Easy Peary toss for a completion.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Guys I think played solid to well:

Dortch-he was ballin!

Gardeck-I thought he was named a starter though I didn’t see him get a bunch of snaps. More reps please, he makes things happen

Lawrence-steady

Collins-made some plays in the backfield & 1 nice pass breakup

Eno-dude brings attitude & toughness! Needs more snaps

Poor games:
Harlow-was getting beat regularly in first half

Simmons-play his worst game for Big Red. Loafed & jogged on several plays. Is it Vance, scheme or the player? I don’t know, but I’d luv to see him with another quality DC. Had solid last season, poor week 1

Kliff-the comments by him on Wolfs show today are bad. Arent you supposed to be an NFL HC? Coach em up or get out.

VJ-really? Almost 500 yards, 33 first downs, 44 points, easy throw after easy throw? Come on man. Aren’t these 2 guys coaches as well as supposed teachers? Same lessons, same failures. Ugh

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#7 ummm Harlow was by far the worst OL. He literally got rated a 0 for the game in pass protection.
Shane, is that rating made by Pro Football Focus or someone else? Because if it is PFF its value is zero. The reason is not so much that they can’t ever judge it, but that you never know when they are right. There gradings is sometimes so wrong that it is laughable - you can see with your own eyes that Brandon Keith was not the best tackle in the NFL, or that Budda Baker is not the 16th best safety in the league, or that Corey Peters was not among the NFL’s best pass rushing d-tackles.

Those are just a few examples. You cannot trust them, at that makes them useless.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I miss Dumpster Dan.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What did they say about practice levels?
I am sorry, RW, but I cannot find the article. It was on azcentral.com. The gist was things like “everyone can see we have issues,” “we don’t have any depth, “I hope Mahomes doesn’t know about it.”

I remember that Bruce Arians often used to say that, even if the roster was depleted by injuries, he would never ever signal that he didn’t believe in the players available. I liked that view.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I watched some of the Eagles game off and on and was surprised that Jordan Davis didn't play more. Looking at an Eagles site it's one of the big discussions on their board. Detroit had 180 yards rushing against them but averaged far less per run in the 14 plays Davis was in than the rest of the game where he wasn't.

They're also wondering why the went out and got Hassan Reddick and then used him as an inside rusher and in coverage not an edge rusher.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kliff should study Pete Caroll. Kyler should study Russell Wilson.
Kyler would be so effective under Center. Watch Wilson take the snap turn to his left faking the handoff and rolling to his right. Nobody within 10 yards of him. Easy Peary toss for a completion.

Yeah the read option stuff they do is really wearing thin. It looks kind of ridiculous now every time Kyler goes through the motion. Its not fooling anybody.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

8 – D-line no-show.

Ghandi - Sorry to hear of your possible cessation of posts. One of the few efforts I really appreciate

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SO many sites online streaming NFL games, easy to find one on game day with a simple Google search. If you feel guilty about pirating a broadcast, just remind yourself that you're getting what you paid for - worthless performance at zero cost.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose