10 thoughts - Bears game

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
DJ was the highest graded player per PFF with an 81 so…

I'm not commenting on the argument, but this is literally meaningless information. PFF has no relevance to actual play, as they routinely grade good players poorly.

Humphries has given up more sacks (4) than all of last year (3) and the same amount of penalties (7) so far.

Love the dude though.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
There were actually some really bad play calls by KK that didn't end up coming back to bite us in the rear. I'm looking at you, 3rd-and-goal-empty-backfield-direct-snap-to-JC!

But mostly excellent play calls that have helped us be 10-2 (3 games without franchise QB and WR). :)

Hate that call you mentioned though. FWIW - I think we missed a block or Conner would have walked in for TD.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
And the two final lateral plays to end a promising drive in the prior possession. Three real poor play calls amidst a day of otherwise good play calling.

The worst 2 plays of the game happened on special teams.

Alford blocked in the back on a punt return that we would have had at the 50 anyway.
Gardeck roughing the punter. Yes, we ended up getting the INT but how often does that happen.

We have to be better than that.

HammerCards

Veteran
Reaction score
The worst 2 plays of the game happened on special teams.

Alford blocked in the back on a punt return that we would have had at the 50 anyway.
Gardeck roughing the punter. Yes, we ended up getting the INT but how often does that happen.

We have to be better than that.
Hated that by Alford. It was so unnecessary.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And the two final lateral plays to end a promising drive in the prior possession. Three real poor play calls amidst a day of otherwise good play calling.
Tried to find the highlights/lowlights of those plays but couldnt find it on youtube. Did see the 3rd and 18 run by Kyler.

Shouldnt that have been a 4th and 2? Thought since he dove instead of slide they'd count the yards moving forward. Seemed like he got touched only two yards short.

Think if we challenged/or called different we would have gone for it. Unless they really considered him giving him up cause he wasnt touched yet.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1 – I like me some James Conner. So fun to watch.
Hes a big back bowling people over. I'd keep him after this year.
2 – Not only has Kingsbury led the team to its current success, but his playcalling is also very good, as we once again saw in this game. I am definitely relieved that Oklahoma will hire Brent Venables as their new head coach, and leave Kingsbury alone. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

(P.S. If he had left, my very clear-cut favorite to replace him both short- and long-term would have been Jeff Rodgers).
I can't think of many NFL coaches better than Kingsbury right now.
3 – Chandler Jones gets a gameball.
He played better against the run.
4 – Yet another bad game by the run defense. Third game in a row where they give up more than 4.0 yards on average per run, and throughout the season they are the third worst team in that stat. Good thing that they are often playing with the lead, and thus force the opponent to throw a lot.
Schematically, Joseph is setting up the defense to stop the pass. Hes basically betting that its harder for a team to win by running the ball all of the time.

Its hard to watch, but hes actually right.
5 – On the Budda Baker interception, where he ran down to the 20-yard line from the 10 (okay, 25 for Fotu), big Leki Fotu actually ended up in the same place. Racecar man. (Exhibit A: https://www.azcardinals.com/video/baker-picks-off-dalton-nearly-takes-it-to-the-house)
Remember when people used to say Budda is overrated? He's one of my all time favorite Cardinals.
6 – Zach Allen is playing better and better.
Agreed. I'm a fan.
7 – What’s with the Kyle Shanahan-look, Kliff?
Its the football dude bruh look. Google Kliffs current girlfriend...wow.
8 – D.J. Humphries is having a difficult season.
Hes been fine. Not as good as last year.
9 – Jordan Phillips has really been an upgrade against the pass since he was activated.
Most of us have given up on Philips so he is a pleasant surprise. He looks close to what I expected of him.
10 – Ironically, Dennis Gardeck’s roughing the passer penalty – that gave the Bears a new first down – actually ended up giving the Cards better field position than the punt (likely) would have after Dalton threw an interception on the next play.
I thought that was a bs call. It was a 5 yard variety at worse.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
All I will say about DJ is he is the only player on the OL to not miss a game or a snap due to injury. They even called a timeout so he didn't miss a play. He has made 44 straight starts. He has 14 total penalties in the last 28 games with only 3 holding calls. He has allow 7 sacks in those 28 games. Not going to complain about him.
DJ is an above average, below Pro-Bowl level Blindside tackle. He's durable and fits this system very well.

On paper he grades well, but takes too many penalties. I'm not that concerned about that, because this system and Kyler's scrambling is very difficult for the blindside

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
This 100%… Kyler bootleg w run option is money within the 10. At times I do feel like Kliffy does this on purpose in wanting it to be about him vs it being all about Kyler. .
Don't think K2 has that much of an ego to do that. Maybe it's just to get it on film for future teams they play.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Here me out...Zach Allen and Zaven Collins at OLB next year...

Zach would need to drop about 25 lbs but he can do it easy.
Hmm... I always say Zach is a slower version of JJ Watt. He's already said he needs to work on his speed - so maybe it is a weight issue.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This was my immediate thought as well when I first read this. There were several times I was yelling at the TV.
Several drives, we would move the ball at will only for him to call some stupid bubble screen or end around to Rondale that would put us 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Why get cute?
And I agree, that wildcat formation on 3rd and goal was ridiculous.
Were you yelling when he called the mesh and Kyler fumbled the ball? Or when Kyler fumbled the ball when trying to pass? Sometimes aspects of games factor in to what plays you call in certain situations and eliminate calls you would normally make. Some work and some don't but that is with every call.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zach Allen can not bend lol no
I feel like he his athleticism is hidden because he has needed to bulk up so much to play DE in a 3-4. Looks like he has been stung by bees. You see this with offensive linemen as well. Watching him drop into zone coverage and his ability to set the edge, I think he has the skills to be a base OLB in a 3-4.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those who really feel like I am crazy on the Zach Allen take.

Zach Allen 6'4 281 at the combine. 34 3/4 arms. 10 1/8 hands.
40 - 5
Bench - 24
Vert - 32
Broad - 112
3-Cone - 7.34
20yd shuttle - 4.36

Markus Golden 6'2 260 31 1/8 arms. 10 1/2 hands.
40 - 4.9
Bench - NA
Vert - 28.5
Broad - 110
3-Cone - 7.39
20yd Shuttle - 4.59

Trey Flowers 6'2 266 34 1/4 arms. 10" hands.
40 - 4.93
Bench - 28
Vert - 36.5
Broad - 121
3-Cone - 7.34
20yd Shuttle - 4.4

So the athletic profile is there especially if the focus was getting him leaner and quicker vs bigger and slower. Also, he has shown comfort in playing space. His pass drops are as smooth as Chandler Jones and he sets the edge better than both Golden and Jones. Just saying.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For those who really feel like I am crazy on the Zach Allen take.

Zach Allen 6'4 281 at the combine. 34 3/4 arms. 10 1/8 hands.
40 - 5
Bench - 24
Vert - 32
Broad - 112
3-Cone - 7.34
20yd shuttle - 4.36

Markus Golden 6'2 260 31 1/8 arms. 10 1/2 hands.
40 - 4.9
Bench - NA
Vert - 28.5
Broad - 110
3-Cone - 7.39
20yd Shuttle - 4.59

Trey Flowers 6'2 266 34 1/4 arms. 10" hands.
40 - 4.93
Bench - 28
Vert - 36.5
Broad - 121
3-Cone - 7.34
20yd Shuttle - 4.4

So the athletic profile is there especially if the focus was getting him leaner and quicker vs bigger and slower. Also, he has shown comfort in playing space. His pass drops are as smooth as Chandler Jones and he sets the edge better than both Golden and Jones. Just saying.
I’m not dead set against it. I guess my hesitation would be he’s developing at dlinemen nicely and now we want to change his position to something he hasn’t done before? Kinda messing with a good thing with no certainty it will work.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m not dead set against it. I guess my hesitation would be he’s developing at dlinemen nicely and now we want to change his position to something he hasn’t done before? Kinda messing with a good thing with no certainty it will work.
He was a base DE in college which is one reason he does so well when he fills in outside. I feel like he gets overmatched inside because he is a smaller 3-4 DE and struggles to disengage from blockers. I think he will be ok inside, but I watch him set the edge and drop into coverage and move in space so well it just seems like a more natural fit. Odd front edge, even front DE/DT.

Ultimately, I generally stand in the camp that you are better off having your players lean down to play faster than bulk up and be slower. He just seems like another player who we drafted and moved when he might have been ok if we just played him at his more natural position.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Don't think K2 has that much of an ego to do that. Maybe it's just to get it on film for future teams they play.
He kind of already proved that it’s not all about Kyler with the offense having a couple good games with Colt anyways.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Lawrence can progress it makes sense actually to maximize our personnel. I would be surprised if Hicks left next year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Cardinals defense is allowing 4.7ypc rushing; tied for 2nd worst ypc in the league. However, they have allowed only 8 TD's rushing against them, the 4th fewest rushing touchdowns in the league. And they are one of the four teams tied at the fewest (3) allowed +20 yard runs. Twelve games into this season the Cardinals are also the 4th best team in fewest points allowed! All these numbers are a reflection of Vance Joseph's defensive philosophy of "bend don't break". It can be frustrating to watch as a fan, but this season it is undeniably working for the Cardinals! By the way, Cardinals are also the number 2 team in both forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries.

Agreed! Allen is rounding into a solid defender.
Simmons I think shows this aspect to filter into the tackling situation, he's constantly going for strips. This whole defense makes a conscious effort to attempt and strip the ball when possible, sometimes to the disadvantage of making the tackle... but scoreboard, it's working and receivers are petrified of our hard hitting secondary

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If Lawrence can progress it makes sense actually to maximize our personnel. I would be surprised if Hicks left next year.
Are you talking about Collins or Allen? I’m actually kinda onboard with moving Collins if he doesn’t show better inside the remainder of this season. Allen is more concerning to me.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Has D.J really been struggling this year? I haven't noticed him much (granted I'm not great to keying into O-line play) - which is usually a good thing.

Any more insight here? Would be appreciated.
WFC, he has played like a slightly above average starting tackle. I will admit that my view is based on expectations, and I think he has played really well several years in a row, so I just expected more from him this year. He has been beat several times and have given up more pressures than normally. He would have given up more sacks had it not been for Murray’s athleticism, and he have even committed several pre-snap penalties.

None of what he have done has been horrible, but again, I expect more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here me out...Zach Allen and Zaven Collins at OLB next year...

Zach would need to drop about 25 lbs but he can do it easy.
It is a good thought, Chopper. Especially Zaven Collins would be interesting. He has many of the characteristics of an edge rusher.

Zach Allen actually played edge rusher in college, so he does know what it’s like. I don’t know, though. I think he is playing well on the defensive line.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Tried to find the highlights/lowlights of those plays but couldnt find it on youtube. Did see the 3rd and 18 run by Kyler.

Shouldnt that have been a 4th and 2? Thought since he dove instead of slide they'd count the yards moving forward. Seemed like he got touched only two yards short.

Think if we challenged/or called different we would have gone for it. Unless they really considered him giving him up cause he wasnt touched yet.
You can only challenge the spot if it results in a first down. Even if they move the ball you still lose the challenge, I do believe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson