10 thoughts - Bears game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I like me some James Conner. So fun to watch.

2 – Not only has Kingsbury led the team to its current success, but his playcalling is also very good, as we once again saw in this game. I am definitely relieved that Oklahoma will hire Brent Venables as their new head coach, and leave Kingsbury alone. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

(P.S. If he had left, my very clear-cut favorite to replace him both short- and long-term would have been Jeff Rodgers).

3 – Chandler Jones gets a gameball.

4 – Yet another bad game by the run defense. Third game in a row where they give up more than 4.0 yards on average per run, and throughout the season they are the third worst team in that stat. Good thing that they are often playing with the lead, and thus force the opponent to throw a lot.

5 – On the Budda Baker interception, where he ran down to the 20-yard line from the 10 (okay, 25 for Fotu), big Leki Fotu actually ended up in the same place. Racecar man. (Exhibit A: https://www.azcardinals.com/video/baker-picks-off-dalton-nearly-takes-it-to-the-house)

6 – Zach Allen is playing better and better.

7 – What’s with the Kyle Shanahan-look, Kliff?

8 – D.J. Humphries is having a difficult season.

9 – Jordan Phillips has really been an upgrade against the pass since he was activated.

10 – Ironically, Dennis Gardeck’s roughing the passer penalty – that gave the Bears a new first down – actually ended up giving the Cards better field position than the punt (likely) would have after Dalton threw an interception on the next play.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Has D.J really been struggling this year? I haven't noticed him much (granted I'm not great to keying into O-line play) - which is usually a good thing.

Any more insight here? Would be appreciated.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 – I like me some James Conner. So fun to watch.

2 – Not only has Kingsbury led the team to its current success, but his playcalling is also very good, as we once again saw in this game. I am definitely relieved that Oklahoma will hire Brent Venables as their new head coach, and leave Kingsbury alone. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

(P.S. If he had left, my very clear-cut favorite to replace him both short- and long-term would have been Jeff Rodgers).

3 – Chandler Jones gets a gameball.

4 – Yet another bad game by the run defense. Third game in a row where they give up more than 4.0 yards on average per run, and throughout the season they are the third worst team in that stat. Good thing that they are often playing with the lead, and thus force the opponent to throw a lot.

5 – On the Budda Baker interception, where he ran down to the 20-yard line from the 10 (okay, 25 for Fotu), big Leki Fotu actually ended up in the same place. Racecar man. (Exhibit A: https://www.azcardinals.com/video/baker-picks-off-dalton-nearly-takes-it-to-the-house)

7 – What’s with the Kyle Shanahan-look, Kliff?

8 – D.J. Humphries is having a difficult season.

9 – Jordan Phillips has really been an upgrade against the pass since he was activated.

10 – Ironically, Dennis Gardeck’s roughing the passer penalty – that gave the Bears a new first down – actually ended up giving the Cards better field position than the punt (likely) would have after Dalton threw an interception on the next play.
1. Yes
2. Didn’t like the play calling to end the half
3. Yes for CJ
4. Yes, but our opponents aren’t getting into the end zone too often. Get a lead and take their run game out.
5. If the Cards have a kangaroo court Budda should fined $500 for letting a Qb trip him up! Lol
6. Z as ch has been very steady
7. Maybe it’s the look his girlfriend likes?
8. Not sure I agree about DJ.
9. Phillips, finally.
10. See “ Maybe it’s just our year!”

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were actually some really bad play calls by KK that didn't end up coming back to bite us in the rear. I'm looking at you, 3rd-and-goal-empty-backfield-direct-snap-to-JC!
That whole sequence was odd. Felt like the were just trying with the Bears by trying off the wall stuff. Really odd.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I will say about DJ is he is the only player on the OL to not miss a game or a snap due to injury. They even called a timeout so he didn't miss a play. He has made 44 straight starts. He has 14 total penalties in the last 28 games with only 3 holding calls. He has allow 7 sacks in those 28 games. Not going to complain about him.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There were actually some really bad play calls by KK that didn't end up coming back to bite us in the rear. I'm looking at you, 3rd-and-goal-empty-backfield-direct-snap-to-JC!
This 100%… Kyler bootleg w run option is money within the 10. At times I do feel like Kliffy does this on purpose in wanting it to be about him vs it being all about Kyler. Not only is Kyler the best option there, you want your MVP candidate to become the MVP. Helps the franchise monetary wise and even future recruiting wise.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here me out...Zach Allen and Zaven Collins at OLB next year...

Zach would need to drop about 25 lbs but he can do it easy.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This was my immediate thought as well when I first read this. There were several times I was yelling at the TV.
Several drives, we would move the ball at will only for him to call some stupid bubble screen or end around to Rondale that would put us 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Why get cute?
And I agree, that wildcat formation on 3rd and goal was ridiculous.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know we criticize on play calls but usually a play call works if everyone does their job. And if they don’t sometimes you have to give the defense credit. I don’t know why we don’t throw the ball to Hop more on the end zone when we get near the 10. He can’t put catch anyone. We need to just throw it up.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The play you said roughing the passer was roughing the kicker. And that was a horrid call. Because hitting his lead leg is 5 yards hitting his plant leg is 15. It’s in the rule book. kK should have argued that. It was a basic misinterpretation of the rules. But saying that. Why do teams and us try to ever block kicks unless you are down and you have to have a big play. The risk reward is terrible and especially when we were winning by 10 or 14 whatever it was. It was just insane. I say don’t even rush the punter unless absolute necessary

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2. Love how he's using 12 personnel (2 TE) sets more & having them work the middle of the field.

3. Love how Chandler Jones is now trying to bat balls down with his hands if he can't get to the QB. I'm sure J J Watt had some influence with that.

4. I don't like the run defense but as they say, you can give up yards between the 20's but scoring defense counts. Our scoring defense is top 10 so if we can score more than we give up lol?

6. Love how Zach Allen is playing.

If Kennard doesn't wiff on that tackle we only give up 14 points.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

I heard somewhere that it was very plausible (and it seemed so to whichever talking head I heard this from) that K1 was using this game to try out some off-the-wall stuff that he'd never try against serious competition.

Reaction score
4 – Yet another bad game by the run defense. Third game in a row where they give up more than 4.0 yards on average per run, and throughout the season they are the third worst team in that stat. Good thing that they are often playing with the lead, and thus force the opponent to throw a lot.6 – Zach Allen is playing better and bette
Cardinals defense is allowing 4.7ypc rushing; tied for 2nd worst ypc in the league. However, they have allowed only 8 TD's rushing against them, the 4th fewest rushing touchdowns in the league. And they are one of the four teams tied at the fewest (3) allowed +20 yard runs. Twelve games into this season the Cardinals are also the 4th best team in fewest points allowed! All these numbers are a reflection of Vance Joseph's defensive philosophy of "bend don't break". It can be frustrating to watch as a fan, but this season it is undeniably working for the Cardinals! By the way, Cardinals are also the number 2 team in both forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries.
Agreed! Allen is rounding into a solid defender.

Reaction score
4. I don't like the run defense but as they say, you can give up yards between the 20's but scoring defense counts. Our scoring defense is top 10 so if we can score more than we give up lol?
Cardinals are the only team in top 6 in both offensive (Points For) and defensive (Points Against) scoring! Only three teams in the top 10 in both categories; the other two, NE and BUF, both play in the AFC East.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And the two final lateral plays to end a promising drive in the prior possession. Three real poor play calls amidst a day of otherwise good play calling.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave