08' Captains.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Kurt Warner, Reggie Wells, Karlos Dansby, Sean Morey and Aaron Francisco.

I must admit that Dansby surprises me. He seemed to have the rep of a guy who wasn't a leader. But the team clearly doesn't see it that way.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warner? Wow. That says a lot about how the team feels about the QB situation.

OP
OP
Redsz

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Wow. Sorry mods, didn't see the other thread.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I must admit that Dansby surprises me. He seemed to have the rep of a guy who wasn't a leader. But the team clearly doesn't see it that way.

I have seen Dansby as a vocal leader for two years now.

I am psyched he is the captain.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Doubt it. 2 on offense, 2 on defense, and 1 on st makes more sense than 2 on offense, 2 on st and 1 on defense.
Last year we had 1 on Offense (Boldin), 2 on Defense (Wilson and Hayes) and 2 on ST (Rackers and Francisco).

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps. He's a veteran and a champion, so sure. :)

Dansby, yes. He's a playmaker and, despite the off season issues, has the respect of his teammates.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Doubt it. 2 on offense, 2 on defense, and 1 on st makes more sense than 2 on offense, 2 on st and 1 on defense.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt just announced the captains for 2008, based on a team vote: offense, defense, special teams. For offense, it is QB Kurt Warner and G Reggie Wells. Defense is LB Karlos Dansby, and special teams is Sean Morey and Aaron Francisco. In the cases of two captains in two categories, Whisenhunt said, the vote was close enough that there wasn't a clear-cut single player. It's a shift from last season, when WR Anquan Boldin was the solo offensive captain, Adrian Wilson and Gerald Hayes were co-defensive captains, and Francisco shared special teams honors with K Neil Rackers.

"The team voted, it's how they feel," Whisenhunt said. "It's interesting to see their perception of it. But I am hoping we have a number of veteran leaders on this team that weren't necessarily captains and I expect those guys to give their leadership ability."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Coach Ken Whisenhunt just announced the captains for 2008, based on a team vote: offense, defense, special teams. For offense, it is QB Kurt Warner and G Reggie Wells. Defense is LB Karlos Dansby, and special teams is Sean Morey and Aaron Francisco. In the cases of two captains in two categories, Whisenhunt said, the vote was close enough that there wasn't a clear-cut single player. It's a shift from last season, when WR Anquan Boldin was the solo offensive captain, Adrian Wilson and Gerald Hayes were co-defensive captains, and Francisco shared special teams honors with K Neil Rackers.

"The team voted, it's how they feel," Whisenhunt said. "It's interesting to see their perception of it. But I am hoping we have a number of veteran leaders on this team that weren't necessarily captains and I expect those guys to give their leadership ability."

There ya have it. It's interesting to hear what coach Whis said, and I agree completely. Sounds like one or two head scratchers, but it's up to the players. I just hope there are other leaders on the team that will step up as well.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There ya have it. It's interesting to hear what coach Whis said, and I agree completely. Sounds like one or two head scratchers, but it's up to the players. I just hope there are other leaders on the team that will step up as well.

As a fan, I have absolutely no clue as to the dynamics of the dressing room, and who the leaders are. As such, I see no reason to question their choices.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I think the team would have gave it to whomever was named the starting QB. Show support for who ever that guy turned out to be.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think the team would have gave it to whomever was named the starting QB. Show support for who ever that guy turned out to be.

Really? You really think if Leniart was named the starter that the team would have selected him a captain? Or St. Pierre for that matter? ;)

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In keeping with the, WE DO THIS TOGETHER-theme...

I like the idea that the players "chose" the Captains. ...And the more I learn about how this coaching-staff goes about its' business, the more I'm impressed. GO CARDS!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

He without a doubt had that rep before he went into the last season of his contract last year. But he showed up to every practice, didnt let little nagging injuries sit him out of practice like they used to. Signed his franchise tag before any other franchise tag player in the league just so that he could practice in all of the activities the whole off season. Most player wait to sign it till later so they dont risk injury on a 1 year contract, Dansby risked that.

Plus in my opinion I think it is very much so a case of the defensive players sending a message to management to re-sign this guy. It is why Wilson and Hayes relinquished their Captian status. Remember the reasons why they said they didnt give him an extension earlier, they wanted to see him be more consistent and be "more of a leader". They didnt want to pay a guy that much money who wasnt a leader. I think the D players got together and just sent message to management for next offseason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As a fan, I have absolutely no clue as to the dynamics of the dressing room, and who the leaders are. As such, I see no reason to question their choices.

Easy, Canuck. I wasn't blasting the choices. I'm echoing what Whis said in your own post:

Clearly he wants more leaders than just those who were voted captains; I agree. I'd like Wilson to step up as a leader this year too, as well as someone on the D-line. On offense, I think we're pretty well set. Warner is the obvious player leading the huddle, and Wells can help the line gel. On special teams, both Morey and Francisco are excellent players and choices. I just hope we have more leaders on defense. It sounds like Whis wants more leaders to step up as well. That's all. I wasn't disagreeing with the selections, or trying to pick a fight. I was just a little surprised at only one defensive captain.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
I have seen Dansby as a vocal leader for two years now.

I am psyched he is the captain.

I personally am also glad Dansby is a team captain. At the Red White scrimmage Karlos stuck around well after the autograph session to make sure both of my kids got an autograpgh. A superstar player that takes the time to for kids..That elevated Karlos to one of my favorite player for sure...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson