I thought we had respect?

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
I bought two NFL preview magazines (Street and Smith and Athlon), and browsed through another and they all picked the Cardinals to finish third in the NFC West without a playoff birth. I thought we were being picked 1st by big-time "experts"? Furthermore, the Athlon magazine ranked Dennis Green as the 32nd ranked coach (last) in the NFL last year. Are you kidding me??? THIRTY-SECOND? Behind the Texans coach and Bears coach and 49ers coach- come on now. It just made me mad, because the real "experts" still are giving us nothing.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
brandon said:
I bought two NFL preview magazines (Street and Smith and Athlon), and browsed through another and they all picked the Cardinals to finish third in the NFC West without a playoff birth. I thought we were being picked 1st by big-time "experts"? Furthermore, the Athlon magazine ranked Dennis Green as the 32nd ranked coach (last) in the NFL last year. Are you kidding me??? THIRTY-SECOND? Behind the Texans coach and Bears coach and 49ers coach- come on now. It just made me mad, because the real "experts" still are giving us nothing.

Good!!!! I hope the entire NFL underestimates us and thinks we are the same old Cards.

It's time to slip under the radar and establish the NEW CARDINALS.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
All the hype is making me sick. It was the same story in 95, 97, 99, and 02. The offseason before each of those seasons was all this BS about how we were on the rise about to turn the corner, bound for the playoffs. Each of those seasons was an unmitigated disaster. I'm with this team one hundred percent, season tix paid for and everything else. I will be there. But the hype is one hundered percent worthless. I've learned to be more skeptical in these hype years than in the others. I will need proof before belief. And all these people hyping us. When we are 1 and 5, they'll be the first to either high tail it or even worse, they'll be the ones to stick the knife in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedViper said:
All the hype is making me sick. It was the same story in 95, 97, 99, and 02. The offseason before each of those seasons was all this BS about how we were on the rise about to turn the corner, bound for the playoffs. Each of those seasons was an unmitigated disaster. I'm with this team one hundred percent, season tix paid for and everything else. I will be there. But the hype is one hundered percent worthless. I've learned to be more skeptical in these hype years than in the others. I will need proof before belief. And all these people hyping us. When we are 1 and 5, they'll be the first to either high tail it or even worse, they'll be the ones to stick the knife in.

dude - who the hell was talking playoffs in Vince's first year with two headed monster of Boomer Esiason/Kent Graham as our QBs?

That being said - agree with you as far as hype in concerned. Respect is gained one way and one way only - winning game son the field.

THAT being said - DG at 32 is ********.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Id rather them be the quiet underdogs. The minute they start thinking they are better than they are, we all know what will happen.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
Id rather them be the quiet underdogs. The minute they start thinking they are better than they are, we all know what will happen.

Lol yeah, like the year we started 4-2 and they began the Wing, or something silly like that. Tango and others jumped all over my case for saying we had been playing like crap and would tank it that season. Man, I never hated to be right more in my life.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Winners do not let outside entities define their worth. They set their own standards and then go out and get the job done.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
talk about lack of respect-boycott lindys

brandon said:

I was browsing the Lindy's website, thinking of buying the Pro Football preview edition. Well it turns out there is ONE, I repeat ONE, NFL team which you can not get featured on the cover. Guess which one? Is that the ultimate insult, snub, dissin' or what?

See which one is missing below from the cover choices below.

1. San Francisco/Oakland/San Diego
2. Cleveland/Cincinnati
3. Seattle
4. Denver
5. Dallas
6. New Orleans
7. Atlanta
8. Jacksonville
9. Tampa Bay
10. Miami
11. Charlotte
12. Washington
13. Baltimore
14. Philadelphia
15. Pittsburgh
16. New York Giant/New York Jets
17. Buffalo
18. New England
19. Houston
20. Detroit
21. Chicago
22. Green Bay
23. Minnesota
24. Kansas City
25. Indianapolis
26. Tennessee
27. St. Louis

http://secure.lindyssports.com/HostedStore.LassoApp

seesred

Reaction score
The supposed Cards insider MJ had a bit on Fox sports two days ago. He proudly showed three of the publications and said that the cards are very far away from contending and that these sports Pro mags prove it out. He did say that after winning 6 games last year and losing 4 others by less than a touchdown we could be maybe 8-8. Respect comes from doing. There isn't a football camp out there with hungry kids (pro Players), that will say to anyone we are better this year and we are thinking playoffs.

I guess we will have to wait to find out who the experts are this year, the players or the writers. My bet is squarely behind Warner and the Rest of our Cardinals. Every year we hope and pray for wins, but, don't deep inside believe it will be any different(except 1998). But, with the great FA's we picked up in need areas the last two years. The draft the last two years were great. THe players that are left from prior Coaches have grown(see A, Wilson and Big now in his right spot on the left side) add better coaching number 12 last year in Defense and we can start to think yes, we have a team that can compete with anyone. So let the MJ's and the Athelons of the world study from afar, while we watch the exciting games that this team WII play this year.

GBR
IN Green we trust

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
dude - who the hell was talking playoffs in Vince's first year with two headed monster of Boomer Esiason/Kent Graham as our QBs?

That being said - agree with you as far as hype in concerned. Respect is gained one way and one way only - winning game son the field.

Dude, 97 was Tobin's second year. He managed to pull off 7-9 in his first year in 96. A pretty fine record for the Cardinals. I may have been the clueless jackass talking playoffs, but from 7-9 I don't really consider it that great a sin, although these Cards have disabused me so that now I know better. That looked pretty good to most people at the end of 96. We also had the Defensive Rookie of the Year in Simeon Rice in 96 playing on the same line as Swanny. It may not have ended up that way but in 96 Tobin looked like he had a clue and appeared to be cleaning up the trash left by Ryan. It wasn't as much hype as there is this year, even coming off 6-10 but things looked pretty damn good and a lot of people picked the Cards to make a run. I specifically remember a poll on ESPN in the first couple weeks of 97 where people picked us as the best team with a 1-3 record or something like that because our losses had been very close in the first few weeks of 97. The illusion was holding up even into the first month of that disaster season. We ended up 4-12.

Anyone picking DG as 32nd best coach just hates the guy and doesn't care anything about their own reputation as a total hack. Because that's all they are. Its an assertion not backed by even a shred of evidence.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedViper said:
Dude, 97 was Tobin's second year. He managed to pull off 7-9 in his first year in 96. A pretty fine record for the Cardinals. I may have been the clueless jackass talking playoffs, but from 7-9 I don't really consider it that great a sin, although these Cards have disabused me so that now I know better. That looked pretty good to most people at the end of 96. We also had the Defensive Rookie of the Year in Simeon Rice in 96 playing on the same line as Swanny. It may not have ended up that way but in 96 Tobin looked like he had a clue and appeared to be cleaning up the trash left by Ryan. It wasn't as much hype as there is this year, even coming off 6-10 but things looked pretty damn good and a lot of people picked the Cards to make a run. I specifically remember a poll on ESPN in the first couple weeks of 97 where people picked us as the best team with a 1-3 record or something like that because our losses had been very close in the first few weeks of 97. The illusion was holding up even into the first month of that disaster season. We ended up 4-12.

you're right it was his second year - which meant KENT GRAHAM was our OUTRIGHT starter going into the season - and considering that the only reason we were 7-9 the previous year was because Boomer(who wasn't on the team anymore) found the fountain of youth for a 3 game stretch. NO ONE was predicting the Cards to make a run back then with Kent Graham at the helm and NO running back. As far as the illusion holding up in the first month of the season - we were 1-3 - and had blown games at the end of every single fourth quarter. We started that season 1-8 - not sure what in your mind there was "holding up there" but no one was yping that team for jack squat.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Agree 100%. Respect is gained only one way...winning. If Green doesn't win, all these great moves and drafts will be meaningless.

Finally, everyone knows how I feel about Green but for this writer to suggest he is ranked 32nd out of all the coaches is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
After the next 2 seasons, Green will be considered a top 10 coach. Maybe even top 5. Look at where this team was when he took over and look at where they are now 18 months later. No comparison. Any writer or person who can't recognize that is pretty ignorant.

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
Write to Lindy's NOW!!!

Totally_Red said:
I was browsing the Lindy's website, thinking of buying the Pro Football preview edition. Well it turns out there is ONE, I repeat ONE, NFL team which you can not get featured on the cover. Guess which one? Is that the ultimate insult, snub, dissin' or what?

http://secure.lindyssports.com/HostedStore.LassoApp

This is an outrage. I suggest we pummel them with emails.

You can send them to [email protected]

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
you're right it was his second year - which meant KENT GRAHAM was our OUTRIGHT starter going into the season - and considering that the only reason we were 7-9 the previous year was because Boomer(who wasn't on the team anymore) found the fountain of youth for a 3 game stretch. NO ONE was predicting the Cards to make a run back then with Kent Graham at the helm and NO running back. As far as the illusion holding up in the first month of the season - we were 1-3 - and had blown games at the end of every single fourth quarter. We started that season 1-8 - not sure what in your mind there was "holding up there" but no one was yping that team for jack squat.

No, there were a few people that picked the Cards as a darkhorse team that year. No one went crazy hyping them. I remember Regis Philbin, of all people, saying the Cards were going to surprise that year.

That year was the toughest ever on me as a fan. It was gut wrenching to lose so many close games in so many odd ways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
No, there were a few people that picked the Cards as a darkhorse team that year. No one went crazy hyping them. I remember Regis Philbin, of all people, saying the Cards were going to surprise that year.

That year was the toughest ever on me as a fan. It was gut wrenching to lose so many close games in so many odd ways.

the Vikings game was the worst for me - up 9 - 2 and change left - Butler misses a 40 yarder, we let them just whup us and score 10 points like that, effectively ending the season. I believe that was the game right after that pathetic OT loss to the Skins where Tommy Knight was toasted by Rod Gardner for a 50 yard TD after Ronnie Mac came THIS CLOSE to sacking Frerotte on the play.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there is ONE, I repeat ONE, NFL team which you can not get featured on the cover
Maybe it was because there were no photos of our new unis when the covers were printed.

Stout

Reaction score
Here is my email to Lindy's...

Imagine my chagrin when I visit my favorite team website to find out that your publication printed a different magazine cover for every team in the NFL...except for the Cardinals. This is disgusting. I'm writing a short note to let you know I will never, ever buy another publication of yours, and I will dissuade every fan I know from doing so as well. Take your magazine and hang it in the outhouse, please.

Disgruntled Cardinals Fan

Stout

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
there is ONE, I repeat ONE, NFL team which you can not get featured on the cover
Maybe it was because there were no photos of our new unis when the covers were printed.

Then use an old photo. No excuse for it. Disgusting, and I shall never buy one of their publications again.

OP
OP
B

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
The subtitle under Dennis Green's name in the list of ranked coaches explaining why he was 32nd: "Has shown mastery of the inexplicable personnel move."

This comes from Athlon Sports, guys. Can you say absurd? Mike Nolan and Norv Turner were above Dennis Green. Absolutely absurd, from a non-bias standpoint even, it's STILL absurd. Show this to anyone that knows anything about football, they would hands down disagree.

seesred

Reaction score
I truly hate to say this, but, Does anyone thing this was racially slanted? Still in America this still peers at us like a knife in the dark.

GBR

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
RedViper said:

Right on!!!!!!! When I was a kid I believed the hype. I saw the 85 Cards picked to go to the SuperBowl. I saw the collapse of '77. I saw the debacle of '99(Demise of the d-line that was going to be great etc). Football is won on the field not on paper. That is why I think the draft was good on PAPER but I am not lined up for my SuperBowl tickets. The Wadsworth draft was an A+ on paper. I get tired of all the hype.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

To say NO ONE was hyping the Cards coming off the 7-9 season is silly. We've only managed three 7-9 seasons since the Cards arrived here. Only twice have we done better. Seven and Nine is a banner year. Thats simply a hard cold fact with this team. I've already stated there wasn't the hype that offseason, that there is this year, but to take the team to 7-9 in Year One of Tobin out of the ruins of Buddy Ball was nothing short of a coup. Even with lackluster, Kent Graham as the starter, the year started out hopefully. Especially after we knocked out Dallas in week 2 with two fourth quarter touchdowns. And the fact that we were 1-3 and had barely lost those first games was also seen by many as a hopeful sign. Again, to say NO ONE was hopeful after we had finished 7-9 the year before and ended the the 13 game losing streak vs. Dallas is wrongheaded.

With the benefit of hindsight it ultimately didn't amount to jackcrap. But it looked good at first. Maybe some total NFL geniouses could tell at that point it was all headed to a 4-12 finish, but to me and many others, 97 started hopefully. Even when we were 1-5, we had lost those 5 games by a combined total of 8 points. We had finally knocked off Dallas. Things were looking good from the Cardinals usual point of view, since most years we've been blown out numerous times by week six.

And as for Boomer being solely responsible for the 7-9 season in 96, that hardly seems right. Graham was the starter in 4 wins. Boomer was the starter in 3 of them. Boomer started 9 games. Graham only started seven. Not really sure why Boomer gets more credit for the 7-9 season.

Still my original point here is the hype does not amount to crap. Thats all I'm saying. As things stand now we are a six and ten team and thats all we are in my view, until we change that with wins. Myself I don't cling to this hype to tell myself we are finally a consistently winning team. We don't get to claim that title until we consistently win. It hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson