2024 Free Agency thread

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McBride would be the only possibility IMO.
Hate to do it after only 2 years but he is only on a 4 year not a 5 and would def be cheaper now than after next year imo. Next year if he continues on This path is gonna be a HUGE contract.
Not possible:
Renegotiations: Rookie contracts for drafted players can't be renegotiated or altered in any way until after the last regular-season game of the third contracted year.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder about the historical success rate of signing Big Johns. I originally posted this back in September based on these articles by Mike Sando in the Athletic. Sando listed the top 11 free agent signings of 2022 and 2023 by APY.

I'd say the majority of teams deeply regret these deals. Status column is mine, based on info in the article and updates I made today:

2022 :
RankPlayerSigned ByAPYStatus
1Von MillerBUF$20Mmissed 11 games; zero stats in 2023
2Christian KirkJAC$18M
3Chandler JonesLV$17Mwent off the deep end, cut
4J.C. JacksonLAC$16.5Mtraded -> NE, then cut
5Brandon ScherffJAC$16.5M
6Allen RobinsonLAR$15.5Mtraded -> PIT, then cut
7Terron ArmsteadNO$15MPro Bowler
8Haason ReddickPHI$15MPro Bowler
9Foyesade OluokunJAC$15Mliterally never heard of him but OK
10Marcus WilliamsBAL$14Minjured; missed 11 games
11Za'Darius SmithMIN$14Mtraded -> CLE

18% Pro Bowlers, 27% starters, 18% suffered major injuries, 36% bust/traded/cut by the signing team.

2023 (ditto):
1Derrick CarrNO$37.5Munderperformed
2Jimmy GaroppoloLV$24.25M6 games, 77.7 passer rating, 33.9 QBR, injured, cut
3Javon HargraveSF$21MPro Bowl
4Jawaan TaylorKC$20Munderperformed
5Tremaine EdmundsCHI$18Munderperformed
6Mike McGlincheyDEN$17.5M
7Dre'Mont JonesSEA$17.2M
8Orlando Brown Jr.CIN$16M
9Jessie Bates IIIATL$16MPro Bowl
10Zach AllenDEN$15.9Munderperformed
11Odell Beckham Jr.BAL$15M13 games, 565 yards, 3 TDs, cut

18% Pro Bowlers, 27% decent starters, 36% underperforming starters, 18% cut.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He was according to Pro Football reference.

He gave up 8 TDs.

Antonio Hamilton was better than Fuller last year.

For reference, Kei'Trel Clark gave up a lower passer rating. Fuller sucked. He's just a name at this point.
Ridiculous, per usual. You cherry pick stats without looking at the bigger picture. Anyone who thinks Antonio Hamilton was better than Fuller isn't worth engaging...Antonio Hamilton is sitting at home like you and me and Fuller was just signed to a multi-year deal.

What is the point of arguing with someone who thinks Justin Jones is the equivalent of Zach Allen and Antonio Hamilton is better than Kyler Fuller? It's beyond parody.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ridiculous, per usual. You cherry pick stats without looking at the bigger picture. Anyone who thinks Antonio Hamilton was better than Fuller isn't worth engaging...Antonio Hamilton is sitting at home like you and me and Fuller was just signed to a multi-year deal.

What is the point of arguing with someone who thinks Justin Jones is the equivalent of Zach Allen and Antonio Hamilton is better than Kyler Fuller? It's beyond parody.
Hehe PFF

:biglaugh:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Teams sign bad and washed up players all of the time. The Cardinals once though D'Anthony Baptiste belonged on a roster.

Your logic is flawed on so many levels.

You know you're losing a football argument when you turn to PFF.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just a reminder about the historical success rate of signing Big Johns. I originally posted this back in September based on these articles by Mike Sando in the Athletic. Sando listed the top 11 free agent signings of 2022 and 2023 by APY.

I'd say the majority of teams deeply regret these deals. Status column is mine, based on info in the article and updates I made today:

2022 :
1Von MillerBUF$20Mmissed 11 games; zero stats in 2023
2Christian KirkJAC$18M
3Chandler JonesLV$17Mwent off the deep end, cut
4J.C. JacksonLAC$16.5Mtraded -> NE, then cut
5Brandon ScherffJAC$16.5M
6Allen RobinsonLAR$15.5Mtraded -> PIT, then cut
7Terron ArmsteadNO$15MPro Bowler
8Haason ReddickPHI$15MPro Bowler
9Foyesade OluokunJAC$15Mliterally never heard of him but OK
10Marcus WilliamsBAL$14Minjured; missed 11 games
11Za'Darius SmithMIN$14Mtraded -> CLE

18% Pro Bowlers, 27% starters, 18% suffered major injuries, 36% bust/traded/cut by the signing team.

2023 (ditto):
1Derrick CarrNO$37.5Munderperformed
2Jimmy GaroppoloLV$24.25M6 games, 77.7 passer rating, 33.9 QBR, injured, cut
3Javon HargraveSF$21MPro Bowl
4Jawaan TaylorKC$20Munderperformed
5Tremaine EdmundsCHI$18Munderperformed
6Mike McGlincheyDEN$17.5M
7Dre'Mont JonesSEA$17.2M
8Orlando Brown Jr.CIN$16M
9Jessie Bates IIIATL$16MPro Bowl
10Zach AllenDEN$15.9Munderperformed
11Odell Beckham Jr.BAL$15M13 games, 565 yards, 3 TDs, cut

18% Pro Bowlers, 27% decent starters, 36% underperforming starters, 18% cut.
add Pro bowlers and decent starters for positive and the others as negative and you are sitting right at 50/50

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Teams sign bad and washed up players all of the time. The Cardinals once though D'Anthony Baptiste belonged on a roster.
Yep, Fuller is washed, which is why every list had him as one of the top corners available, not your boy Ham. Good D'Anthony Baptiste reference though...it's both relevant and useful in this discussion.
Your logic is flawed on so many levels.

You know you're losing a football argument when you turn to PFF.
It's not just PFF - there are plenty of sources that think Fuller was one of the best available on the market. I can guarantee you that if Fuller were signed by the Cards, you'd be touting it as a genius move. Can't take you seriously on the subject, especially with your nonsense about "Antonio Hamilton was better". Just hilarious stuff.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't know, but there won't really be relevant free agents available then, anyway.

I'll never forget the Week 16 game when the offense playing much better scored 16 points against the Chicago Bears or Week 18 when they scored 20 points at home against a Seahawks team that refired their coach 10 days later.
Yes. The Cardinals were actually “lucky” to win 4 games. Several things broke right for them in my opinion in terms of wins. Unfortunately.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep, Fuller is washed, which is why every list had him as one of the top corners available, not your boy Ham.
Cool story. The numbers say otherwise

I see your second favorite logical fallacy is appeal to authority just after strawman.

It just goes to show how silly a list is when they rank a guy high who was gave up a higher passer rating than Clark and Hamilton.
Good D'Anthony Baptiste reference though...it's both relevant and useful in this discussion.
It's completely relevant. Maybe the relevance buzzes right past your head. Just being on an NFL roster doesn't make you a good player. Just because you got signed to a big contract it doesn't mean that you are any good.

Fuller has a long history of solid play, but he was dog poo last year
It's not just PFF - there are plenty of sources that think Fuller was one of the best available on the market.
Neato and he got less total money than SMB.
I can guarantee you that if Fuller were signed by the Cards, you'd be touting it as a genius move.
Eh I tend to look at passer rating allowed on DBs. I wouldn't have been happy with Fuller.
Can't take you seriously on the subject, especially with your nonsense about "Antonio Hamilton was better". Just hilarious stuff.
Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. He sucked bro. If you had a defense that all gave up what Fuller gave up, you'd probably have a historically bad defense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes. The Cardinals were actually “lucky” to win 4 games. Several things broke right for them in my opinion in terms of wins. Unfortunately.
You could argue the flip side that the Cardinals were unlucky to win 4 games. It's a dumb concept that doesn't actually exist. You are your record.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lucky, unlucky.

All I know is we look awful in divisional games against the 49ers and Rams. And we couldnt put away the Seahawks.

And there were people who thought the Rams would have nearly as bad of a season as us. We need to crush the draft because Im not sure we moved the needle much in terms of divisional games. Maybe hope the Seahawks coach is awful, but he's been getting "Defensive McVay" acclaim so we'll see.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because even if the Cardinals have the cash it's still not smart to blow it on a few free agents. The Raiders went and signed Wilkins and have only signed five other players because they blew their was on one guy...one guy who has mostly been a plus run defender and finally rushed the passer in a contract year.

I initially wanted Wilkins, but my opinion changed when I started to consider: 1) the Cardinals need probably three DL 2) overall improvement from a mid tier DL to Wilkins isn't really all that high.

I think the Cardinals are about the same but they had A LOT of roster openings to fill. You sign a big free agent and you probably can't fill other openings.

He wasnt really contributing much to begin. I'll change my tune on this issue if the draft doesn't fill the WR position with a player or two. I prefer two WRs, but that could change with a vet being added during the second wave.

The Cardinals have added talent. I don't see the problem.

The Cardinals have signed FAs.

Do you think that this team could be a bear playoff team this year? I don't. I think they can be entertaining, and feisty, but a playoff team expectation is sheer lunacy.

Just look at the Arians turn around again, and you'll see that the team was built through the draft and free agency supplemented draft picks. That the model that works and it's essentially what Mont is doing.

Now he has to hit on picks at a greater rate than Keim.
Hmm Chris makes a good point. In your opinion this was a 7-10 team last year if kyler wasn’t hurt. This season kyler isn’t hurt. Wouldn’t you expect a 7-10 team to try to make the leap to playoff team?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kendall Fuller is nearly 30. Yeah let's sign a guy that won't be playing at a high level on the next playoff team!

SMB is the guy low candidate who has a chance to really outplay his contract.

A historically bad deep threat. @kerouac9 posted his numbers earlier this off season and he was among the worst deep threats in the past 20 years.

I fully expected the Cardinals to resign him because it was the Cardinals thing to do.

They could but it would necessarily be smart too.

What big free agent did they sign?
Why would it not be smart to win 9 or 10 games?