2024 Free Agency thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People think the only way to build a team is splash in free agency.

We went from 5-11 to 10-6 in 2013 with the superstar additions of Drew Stanton, Rashard Mendenhall, Chilo Rachal, Frostee Rucker, Matt Shaughnessy, Quentin Groves, Karlos Dansby, Jasper Brinkley, Antoine Cason, Javier Arenas, Jerraud Powers and Yeremiah Bell. By my reckoning that's 3 starters and a bunch of depth, and most of these were gone the year after.

And adding Jesse Minter, Alex Okafor Andre Ellington, Tony Jefferson and Badger in the draft.

What propelled the team was Carson Palmer. The same way that this team will depend on the performance of Kyler Murray.

Yeah there were some decent players on the roster. Larry, Calais, P2, Dockett, Jefferson, but they were on the roster in 2012 too.

People forget how those rosters were poor on paper. There were no star signings. During the whole BA era the biggest signing were probably Veldherr and Iupati, and they are no bigger than Jonah Williams.

These are the biggest FA spenders the last 4 seasons and in brackets what it's got them.

• New York Jets: $346MM; 0 PA
  • Jacksonville Jaguars $324MM; 1 PA
  • Cincinnati Bengals: $287MM; 2 PA; 1 CC
  • Miami Dolphins: $270MM; 2 PA
  • Las Vegas Raiders: $249MM; 1 PA
  • New York Giants: $240MM; 1 PA
  • Carolina Panthers: $234MM; 0 PA
  • New England Patriots: $230MM; 1 PA
  • Denver Broncos: $229MM; 0 PA
  • Chicago Bears: $227MM; 1 PA
  • Los Angeles Chargers: $222MM; 1 PA
  • Houston Texans: $206MM; 1 PA
  • Cleveland Browns: $204MM; 2 PA
  • Buffalo Bills: $198MM; 4 PA
  • Washington Commanders: $197MM; 1 PA
  • Tennessee Titans: $159MM; 2 PA

We went from 5-11 to 10-6 in 2013 with the superstar additions of Drew Stanton, Rashard Mendenhall, Chilo Rachal, Frostee Rucker, Matt Shaughnessy, Quentin Groves, Karlos Dansby, Jasper Brinkley, Antoine Cason, Javier Arenas, Jerraud Powers and Yeremiah Bell. By my reckoning that's 3 starters and a bunch of depth, and most of these were gone the year after.

And adding Jesse Minter, Alex Okafor Andre Ellington, Tony Jefferson and Badger in the draft.

What propelled the team was Carson Palmer. The same way that this team will depend on the performance of Kyler Murray.

Yeah there were some decent players on the roster. Larry, Calais, P2, Dockett, Jefferson, but they were on the roster in 2012 too.

People forget how those rosters were poor on paper. There were no star signings. During the whole BA era the biggest signing were probably Veldherr and Iupati, and they are no bigger than Jonah Williams.

These are the biggest FA spenders the last 4 seasons and in brackets what it's got them.

You're really gunning for the most inaccurate, misrepresenting opening statements in the lead-up to the draft, aren't you? This statement is utter bunk.

Try again. Not reading a post with this kind of bunk at the top.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, you'll hear the same apologist excuses ad nauseum next offseason too.
If next off season we aren't in a position to spend, then this approach isn't working. Two full drafts later and going into a 3rd, we should be ready to compete and not, then thr rebuild is a failure.

Stout

Reaction score
If next off season we aren't in a position to spend, then this approach isn't working. Two full drafts later and going into a 3rd, we should be ready to compete and not, then thr rebuild is a failure.
Well Banky, when a bunch of posters were frustrated last offseason, a bunch of other posters said that next offseason--which is now THIS offseason--would be the time to spend. That we were saving our cap space to do so. Now we're hearing a lot of the exact same thing. If the team doesn't spend, it seems a segment of the board will carry the team's water for them and defend it no matter what, no matter the season. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Banky, when a bunch of posters were frustrated last offseason, a bunch of other posters said that next offseason--which is now THIS offseason--would be the time to spend. That we were saving our cap space to do so. Now we're hearing a lot of the exact same thing. If the team doesn't spend, it seems a segment of the board will carry the team's water for them and defend it no matter what, no matter the season. Rinse, wash, repeat.
That is so funny since you have posted this almost daily.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that. I've said two off season was realistic for me. I know I usually a Homer to the core, but seeing who Kiem really was has made me moderate now. I jump on your train a year from now if we don't make a SB run type splash next off season.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're really gunning for the most inaccurate, misrepresenting opening statements in the lead-up to the draft, aren't you? This statement is utter bunk.

Try again. Not reading a post with this kind of bunk at the top.

You've barely done anything but moan about free agency for the past 2 offseasons.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Have we heard A LOT of the exact same thing? Or have we heard it once or twice in this thread?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If this is all we do in FA I'll be mildly disappointed.

But considering we still have roughly $25m of spendable cap space left after Humps release and the rookie draft pool. I doubt it will be the last spending we do and I will wait to see the final product when it's ready.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I look for which blue chip players/good young players/big johns the Cardinals should have signed? I get excited about most of the signings so I would love them to sign as many as possible. Please don't say Zach Allen and Byron Murphy who don't move the needle. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

But considering we still have roughly $25m of spendable cap space left after Humps release and the rookie draft pool. I doubt it will be the last spending we do and I will wait to see the final product when it's ready.

LOL this exact same post brought to you from last year. I don't know where you're seeing $25 million of available cap space. Over the Cap has us at $18 million in effective cap space.

Stout

Reaction score
You've barely done anything but moan about free agency for the past 2 offseasons.
You've barely done anything but post outrageously false statements about other posters this FA period.

Actually, I was pretty vocal about liking the moves we have made thus far. I think we've signed too many mid-to-low-end starters at DT, but the rest are a good start. I would just like us to A) Finally spend the money we were supposed to spend, and B) Get an impact player or two. We have philosophical differences in that, and that's fine. But when you make obviously incorrect statements like the above, your credibility diminishes greatly.

Stout

Reaction score

Okay, cool. We have some semblance of agreement. My problem is, who is the impact player--the Big John, if you will--that is left that we can sign?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

People forget how those rosters were poor on paper. There were no star signings. During the whole BA era the biggest signing were probably Veldheer and Iupati, and they are no bigger than Jonah Williams.

Awesome reply. My thoughts exactly.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Okay, cool. We have some semblance of agreement. My problem is, who is the impact player--the Big John, if you will--that is left that we can sign?
I still wonder if there is a trade/extension possibility out there for Monti that he is saving some monies for

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
i think its "wait until we execute the draft, then its June first Cuts time".

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trade would be a possibility. I don't see anyone on our team who would demand or be worth a big money extension.
McBride would be the only possibility IMO.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I've said it before, I want the rebuild done right. I don't want to throw money at expense free agents just to add names.
You're not throwing money at free agents just to add names - you're trying to get good players! We're in desperate need of good players! You understand this right? You understand that expecting to ONLY acquire good players in the draft gives you an incredibly narrow route to success, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard