2024 Free Agency thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Kyle makes no sense.

Calls Dallas an ‘Ace’ yet gives his signing a D.

Gives Jones signing a F yet says there are good things about the signing.
He very clearly says he doesn't think it's worth 3m for a special teams player. Especially since kick returns and punt returns are basically being phased out of football. F may be harsh for Jones, but whether he's a F or a D or a low C, doesn't seem like a great signing.

After sitting out FA last year, can anyone seriously be happy with a bunch of questionable starters being signed to this point?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He very clearly says he doesn't think it's worth 3m for a special teams player. Especially since kick returns and punt returns are basically being phased out of football. F may be harsh for Jones, but whether he's a F or a D or a low C, doesn't seem like a great signing.

After sitting out FA last year, can anyone seriously be happy with a bunch of questionable starters being signed to this point?

I don’t see how you can remove punt returns from the game. Makes zero sense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
These are not stars! Kyler is maybe around the #10 QB, Harrison hasn't played an NFL snap, McBride has had one decent season, and Conner is not a 10 RB.

McBride had like three decent games, but the TE position in the NFL is so volatile that he could be a top 10 TE right now.

Is Conner not a top 10 RB? He was 6th in yardage, 7th in YPA, 14th in success rate among RBs. He was 21st in rushing attempts. I'm a Conner skeptic in general, also, but the RB position is just different today.

The flipside of this is after the ways that Froholdt and K. White worked out, is it worth waiting a little while to see how the next FA class works out before hitting the panic button? There's good reasons to worry, but there are few reasons to despair.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
McBride had like three decent games, but the TE position in the NFL is so volatile that he could be a top 10 TE right now.
Could be. Is he a star in your eyes? He showed a ton of potential, but I'm not calling him a star yet.
Is Conner not a top 10 RB? He was 6th in yardage, 7th in YPA, 14th in success rate among RBs. He was 21st in rushing attempts. I'm a Conner skeptic in general, also, but the RB position is just different today.
The question is, is he a star? He's an above average starter, but I don't think he's a star.
The flipside of this is after the ways that Froholdt and K. White worked out, is it worth waiting a little while to see how the next FA class works out before hitting the panic button? There's good reasons to worry, but there are few reasons to despair.
Both had half a good season - you know as well as I do that we need above average starters to get out of the suck/mediocrity. Where are they coming from? Our already acquired FA's?

I guarantee you if presented the board with the list of our current acquisitions prior to FA, most here would be pretty disappointed. Lots of copium going on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a good trade for the Jets who are in win now mode. But Moses is 33 and not really what we are looking for.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is a good trade for the Jets who are in win now mode. But Moses is 33 and not really what we are looking for.

Putting all their eggs in the basket of 40 year old Rodgers coming off a massive injury seems dumb. What else are they going to do though, I guess.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no doubt trading for Deandre Hopkins gave us juice in 2020. Signing JJ Watt gave us juice in 2021.

Keim's poor drafts was the biggest factor in not going further imo.

Decent FA's and great drafts I'll be ok with. Just crucial that Monti nails the draft.

Still seems like Cards media is thinking Cards are more or so preparing for 2025.
Agree. Poor drafting has been the bugaboo with this franchise going all the way back to the 60’s. If you’re not drafting well and developing your own talent, then having to spend a ton in FA becomes a necessity. So, at best, the latter results in short spurts of success. But, with no sustainability. In the modern era of FA, we’ve seen that with Whisenhunt, BA, and even Kingsbury. Michael has seen the Cardinals in a SB, he has seen them in a couple of NFC championship games. One thing he’s NEVER seen is sustainable success. That’s what MO sold to MB when he got hired, and that’s what the ultimate goal is right now. MB doesn’t necessarily want a quick turnaround if it doesn’t result in sustainable success. Cardinals will continue to make progress, but unfortunately, that may not be fast enough for some fans on this board. And I understand that. My a$$ is getting old LOL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Could be. Is he a star in your eyes? He showed a ton of potential, but I'm not calling him a star yet.

As a TE? Absolutely he's a star (based on the definitions that I've laid out multiple times).

The question is, is he [James Conner] a star? He's an above average starter, but I don't think he's a star.

You can ask the question a different way, but the answer is the same: I'm a James Conner skeptic, but he's definitely a star. He's been a top 20 fantasy RB since he came here.

Both had half a good season - you know as well as I do that we need above average starters to get out of the suck/mediocrity. Where are they coming from? Our already acquired FA's?

I guarantee you if presented the board with the list of our current acquisitions prior to FA, most here would be pretty disappointed. Lots of copium going on here.

I agree that there's a lot of cope around these four key FA. Especially Murphy-Bunting and Mack Wilson.

I think we're trying to rise to mediocrity right now, and adding average starters like the DTs help where we're hurting the most. Maybe we surprise by adding a Josh Allen-type Edge in the next few days or weeks, but probably not. I think with a good draft (three league-average starters or better as rookies), we can reach mediocrity.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As a TE? Absolutely he's a star (based on the definitions that I've laid out multiple times).

You can ask the question a different way, but the answer is the same: I'm a James Conner skeptic, but he's definitely a star. He's been a top 20 fantasy RB since he came here.

I agree that there's a lot of cope around these four key FA. Especially Murphy-Bunting and Mack Wilson.

I think we're trying to rise to mediocrity right now, and adding average starters like the DTs help where we're hurting the most. Maybe we surprise by adding a Josh Allen-type Edge in the next few days or weeks, but probably not. I think with a good draft (three league-average starters or better as rookies), we can reach mediocrity.
Hooray - 2024 Tag Line - Aspiring to mediocrity!

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Hooray - 2024 Tag Line - Aspiring to mediocrity!

This is a bit disingenuous. I'm sure that the Cardinal brass aspires to be a strong playoff team, but mediocrity is the more reasonable expectation for a team in the second year of a rebuild that started with one of the worst rosters in the NFL. That said, if they have a strong draft and find a star or two and a couple more starters, I think playoffs are possible.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a bit disingenuous. I'm sure that the Cardinal brass aspires to be a strong playoff team, but mediocrity is the more reasonable expectation for a team in the second year of a rebuild that started with one of the worst rosters in the NFL. That said, if they have a strong draft and find a star or two and a couple more starters, I think playoffs are possible.
I mean, they have the power and ability to push the team toward that aspiration. Only a handful of teams every season are actually trying to win a Super Bowl.

Monti started with a perfectly adequate roster and turned it into one of the worst rosters in the NFL.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, they have the power and ability to push the team toward that aspiration. Only a handful of teams every season are actually trying to win a Super Bowl.

Monti started with a perfectly adequate roster and turned it into one of the worst rosters in the NFL.
You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You don’t feel this is the least bit disingenuous? I mean were you giggling a little as you typed it?
Not at all. We had adequate cap space and talent when Monti took the job. We weren't going to win the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback half the season and losing J.J. Watt to retirement, but we were unlikely to repeat the 4-13 result of the previous year.

This has been gone over previously. This is what The Tank was all about.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all. We had adequate cap space and talent when Monti took the job. We weren't going to win the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback half the season and losing J.J. Watt to retirement, but we were unlikely to repeat the 4-13 result of the previous year.

HILARIOUS!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seems funny to me considering your one of the biggest proponents of ringing the “Keim sucks” “his rosters suck” bell… To now as soon as Monti comes over we had a perfectly adequate roster. And discount the fact that we went 4-13 with a healthy Watt and Kyler for 85% of the season….

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again - if you're painting yourself in the "star or bust" category, you're going to have a bad time. There are above average players we desperately need. Should we turn our nose up at all of them as well?

Where?

Seems like we're adding mostly D through FA, so we'll likely target offense in the draft? I guess we'll see.

I Hope Williams Is a Monti target
Then trade Rondale Moore for something
Kyler Need bigger receivers with phisicality
MHJ or Odunze/Williams/Wilson
Nice group

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Hope Williams Is a Monti target
Then trade Rondale Moore for something
Kyler Need bigger receivers with phisicality
MHJ or Odunze/Williams/Wilson
Nice group
Hell no on Williams… That guy is going to cost too much money and he can never ever stay healthy

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn