2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Levis isn't QB #8 in this class, IMO. I'd put him tied at #5.
I think you would be alone. Levis had really inconsistent tape
(I personally have Penix ahead of JJ McCarthy and Bo Nix, and don't think Levis is distinctly better or worse than McCarthy.)
His tape was distinctly worse.
Don't get me wrong here, I don't think Levis is great, if I were a Titans fan I'd be relatively concerned with him too. But from their position, I also wouldn't be enthused about trying to move up at a heavy price to start over.
And I doubt they will either. They are currently caught in the 2nd round QB conundrum. They've fooled themselves into thinking they are playing a true first round talent that they stole, while in reality, they are playing a guy who you'll be happy isn't a bottom 5 NFL QB.
I kinda see them having a year like we just did. Clear the books, know they're going to be bad, compete in 2025.
Eh that's if a 2nd round QB works out

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Levis isn't QB #8 in this class, IMO. I'd put him tied at #5. (I personally have Penix ahead of JJ McCarthy and Bo Nix, and don't think Levis is distinctly better or worse than McCarthy.)

Don't get me wrong here, I don't think Levis is great, if I were a Titans fan I'd be relatively concerned with him too. But from their position, I also wouldn't be enthused about trying to move up at a heavy price to start over.

I kinda see them having a year like we just did. Clear the books, know they're going to be bad, compete in 2025.

There's no disadvantage to them in signing a vet and letting Levis compete for the job.

Levis was pretty bad outside one game. Going in with only Levis is not smart.

They should be looking to pick up a Mac Jones, Brissett or Jimmy G type. Or even trading for that Bengals backup that played well last year. Browning I think.

Yet everyone has them out of the QB market.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
People in the past have said don't draft OSU QB's because their history has not been very good. The same can be said for Penn St. defensive linemen. They always seem to produce talented guys that are drafted/ranked highly but rarely have those guys produced at the NFL level. I don't know why that's the case but going all the way back to Courtney Brown, they've been an under-achieving group. Micah Parsons was a LB at Penn St.
Courney Brown
Michael Haynes
Aaron Maybin
Jimmy Kennedy
Jaed Odrick
Tamba Hali
Odefa Oweh

Hali had a few good years and Odrick had his moments but that's a pretty bad list when compared to their draft status.
Even their 2nd round picks have been lackluster:
Arnold Ebiketie
Yatur Gross-Matos
Austin Johnson
Devon Still
Anthony Adams

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People in the past have said don't draft OSU QB's because their history has not been very good. The same can be said for Penn St. defensive linemen. They always seem to produce talented guys that are drafted/ranked highly but rarely have those guys produced at the NFL level. I don't know why that's the case but going all the way back to Courtney Brown, they've been an under-achieving group. Micah Parsons was a LB at Penn St.
Courney Brown
Michael Haynes
Aaron Maybin
Jimmy Kennedy
Jaed Odrick
Tamba Hali
Odefa Oweh

Hali had a few good years and Odrick had his moments but that's a pretty bad list when compared to their draft status.
Arnold Ebiketie
Yatur Gross-Matos
Austin Johnson
Devon Still
Anthony Adams
Which begs the question, why do NFL scouts overrate talent from Penn State?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Courney Brown
Michael Haynes
Aaron Maybin
Jimmy Kennedy
Jaed Odrick
Tamba Hali
Odefa Oweh

Arnold Ebiketie
Yatur Gross-Matos
Austin Johnson
Devon Still
Anthony Adams

The same can be said for any program. It’s a baseless argument every draft season. People thought CJ Stroud wasn’t going to be good because Cardale Jones and Dwayne Haskins weren’t good. It’s silly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Courney Brown
Michael Haynes
Aaron Maybin
Jimmy Kennedy
Jaed Odrick
Tamba Hali
Odefa Oweh

Arnold Ebiketie
Yatur Gross-Matos
Austin Johnson
Devon Still
Anthony Adams

Also Micah Parsons...

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Bryant Skillet Hands Johnson from PSU.

I always liked the "skillet hands" reference, but also am partial to the "hands like feet" reference. What do think would be harder...catching a football with skillets for hands or feet?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
This is why I want Chop..that kind of explosion translates. He can learn while he impacts games by creating pressures.
The guy may just be a workout warrior type. He wasn't all that productive at PSU. He had 15 total tackles(12 solo) and 4 sacks last year. That's not screaming production to me. He has 6 career sacks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The guy may just be a workout warrior type. He wasn't all that productive at PSU. He had 15 total tackles(12 solo) and 4 sacks last year. That's not screaming production to me. He has 6 career sacks.
Just counting sacks isnt how you judge pass rushers.

Robinson had like 70 total pressures.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Just counting sacks isnt how you judge pass rushers.

Robinson had like 70 total pressures.
If he can’t finish and get to the QB in college against mostly inferior players/athletes, what makes you think he’ll be able to in the NFL?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If he can’t finish and get to the QB in college against mostly inferior players/athletes, what makes you think he’ll be able to in the NFL?
Sometimes at a second-tier school like Penn State the part-time coaches/full-time health teachers don't know all the nuances of technique that are available at big-time programs like the Ohio State University and LSU. If the guy is getting that close with little technique instruction, there may be a few small tweaks that can make significant improvements.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think someone should explain exactly what is meant by a pressure. Pass completed or not? Makes the qb have to move out of the pocket? Etc?
Anyone know?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mamula didn't do anything and was only a workout warrior.
I don’t know why some of you make statements that can be easily looked up online and disproven.

Mike Mamula:
  • One of the most skilled - and feared - defensive ends in college football, he established Boston College defensive standards with 24 career quarterback sacks; 13 sacks in a single season (1994); and 3.5 sacks in one regular-season game (vs. Temple, 1994).
  • Named NBC-TV's "Player of the Game" after a stunning 14-tackle (2 sacks) performance in BC's 41-39 victory over No. 1-ranked Notre Dame in 1993.
  • Capped the 1994 campaign with All-BIG EAST honors and was MVP in BC's Aloha Bowl win over Kansas State with four QB sacks (one for a safety) in the game.
  • Selected in the first round of the 1995 NFL draft, he played six seasons of professional football for the Philadelphia Eagles.
  • Inducted into the Boston College Varsity Club Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012
Yes he’s widely known as a workout warrior, but was pretty damn accomplished compared robinson.