2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think its pretty obvious at this point that our options...in order of preference are

1. Draft MHJ at #4
2. Trade down if MHJ is taken in the top 3
3. Stay at #4 if MHJ is gone and take whoever Monti sees as BPA.

I can't imagine that the front office is thinking wildly different at this point...so its just going to come down to what happens in the top 3. If MHJ goes before we pick...we will get calls about our pick...there is no doubt about that.

For what its worth...even mock draft simulator I have messed with this week has MHJ going #2 to the Redskins about 90% of the time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm listening to this week's pre-Combine Prospects to Pros podcast from the Athletic. Nice Tice (whose dad was a head coach and who was a scout for the Falcons) is saying that right now teams have done their "first filter" on prospects.

This means that the area scouts have identified the prospects in their areas who are system and culture fits for the team. Still a big pool.

Next thing that happens is the area scouts divide up position groups and cross-check, so the guy who covers the Southeast now does writeups on all the wide receivers who passed the first filter, the guy who covers CA is grading all the off-ball linebackers, etc. Then there might be another cross check before the coaches even get involved.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can say this about literally every position.

Also DeCastro was a far better guard than Thuney. DeCastro was AP1 by year 4, AP2 in year 5 and AP1 again in year 6. As well as Pro Bowl for 6 consecutive years from 2015 until 2020.

Thuney was AP2 in 2019, AP2 in 2022, AP1 this year and made the PB the last 2 years.

Thuney is a very good guard. But I'd still take DeCastro over him all day.
LOL you are missing the point. It isn't just taking Thuney or DeCastro. If you get Thuney in round three and a good pass rusher in round one, you just got a ton more value. Guards have a much less impact on football games than QBs, OT, WRs, Edge, and CBs. Good GMs know this and don't draft those positions high.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
LOL you are missing the point. It isn't just taking Thuney or DeCastro. If you get Thuney in round three and a good pass rusher in round one, you just got a ton more value. Guards have a much less impact on football games than QBs, OT, WRs, Edge, and CBs. Good GMs know this and don't draft those positions high.
Just doubling down on the "never take" take of yours, I see. It's bunk. If you can guarantee an all pro in the first round, you jump on it. If you can get the all pro two rounds later, sure, you do that, but it's less likely. Same goes for other posters and off-ball linebacker. I'd damn sure take a Ray Lewis clone in the top 10. The key is accurately identifying the talent. Since it's a crapshoot, I agree that it is less likely a good idea to take certain positions. Less likely, but not an "absolutely never" scenario.

Unless we're talking punter, kicker, or long snapper. Never take those high.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll admit my view is influenced by my trenches first belief and that KM would be greatly helped by a very strong IOL.

So if we don't get a quality LG in FA then I want a great prospect drafted and I'm okay with that being the 27th pick.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just doubling down on the "never take" take of yours, I see. It's bunk. If you can guarantee an all pro in the first round, you jump on it. If you can get the all pro two rounds later, sure, you do that, but it's less likely. Same goes for other posters and off-ball linebacker. I'd damn sure take a Ray Lewis clone in the top 10. The key is accurately identifying the talent. Since it's a crapshoot, I agree that it is less likely a good idea to take certain positions. Less likely, but not an "absolutely never" scenario.

Unless we're talking punter, kicker, or long snapper. Never take those high.
agree. The entire point of the draft is to acquire the best possible talent for your team.
rather we like it or not sometimes the talent in the draft does not line up with team needs or what we want.
But you dont take a WR or Edge who grades out at 72 when there is a guard or Linebacker on the board who grades out at 94.
worst case scenario you find yourself overloaded with talent at a certain position...so you decide which guy you like the most and trade the other guy away.

however...you might skip a guard who grades out at 94 for a Wr who grades out at 89 if you really need a Wr

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Right which is why you never take a guard in round one! If you can't guarantee it, then what's a worse pick for a first rounder? An average guard or an average pass rusher?

I learned my lesson watching Steve Keim, but you apparently have not.
You made a statement in a vacuum, which was patently false, especially without context. Clearly you WOULD take a HOFer in the 1st round. However, since you cannot guarantee this, it is likely (likely, not certainly), a bad idea to do so. Nuance is everything.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Harbaugh made a comment that he thought this kid would end up being the 1st QB picked...thought it was absolutely crazy at the time, but maybe it's got legs. Maybe he won't go 1st, but may still go 1st round?????
As I've said before its great news for us! I want teams going QB crazy as that gives the Cards more options in positions of need.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want Harrison Jr at 4. I would give up a third just to move up a spot to secure him if I had to. Hopefully, the QB craze isn't just draft posturing.

Cards have 4 third-round picks? Is that right? Do they package those to move up? If you have an interior line need, I would think that would be the place to address it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree, but guard at #27 is perfectly viable.

You don't draft a guard top 20, but after that everything is fair game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what's a worse pick for a first rounder? An average guard or an average pass rusher?

I'd rather have the Guard. An average Guard can start for you for years. An average pass rusher is someone your always looking to replace.

Your own rules are defeating your argument. A guard at #27 is probably the best Guard in the draft because Guards shouldn't be drafted earlier. An Edge at #27 is probably the 5th or 6th best Edge.

So the Guard has a much better chance of being a hit than the Edge guy.

I agree the positions have more value, but would you rather have Zach Martin on the team or Shaq Lawson? Would you rather have Kevin Zeitler or Shane Ray? Would you rather have Chris Lindstrom or K'Lavon Chaisson?

You just take the better player.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd rather have the Guard. An average Guard can start for you for years. An average pass rusher is someone your always looking to replace.

Your own rules are defeating your argument. A guard at #27 is probably the best Guard in the draft because Guards shouldn't be drafted earlier. An Edge at #27 is probably the 5th or 6th best Edge.

So the Guard has a much better chance of being a hit than the Edge guy.

I agree the positions have more value, but would you rather have Zach Martin on the team or Shaq Lawson? Would you rather have Kevin Zeitler or Shane Ray? Would you rather have Chris Lindstrom or K'Lavon Chaisson?

You just take the better player.
Strong disagree. Will Hernandez is probably an average RG and he gets paid 4.5 mil per year (13th highest paid RG by OTC). Leonard Floyd is an average EDGE player (at best) and he gets paid 7 mil per year.

The flaw in this argument is that you are getting Kevin Zeitler or Chris Lindstrom, and that is not guaranteed. In reality, the only thing you are guaranteeing is that you are not giving yourself the opportunity to get a starting quality player at a premium position. The other flaw is that a team wouldn't need an upgrade at WR, OT, DT EDGE or CB which are all premium positions to pick from.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Strong disagree. Will Hernandez is probably an average RG and he gets paid 4.5 mil per year (13th highest paid RG by OTC). Leonard Floyd is an average EDGE player (at best) and he gets paid 7 mil per year.

The flaw in this argument is that you are getting Kevin Zeitler or Chris Lindstrom, and that is not guaranteed. In reality, the only thing you are guaranteeing is that you are not giving yourself the opportunity to get a starting quality player at a premium position. The other flaw is that a team wouldn't need an upgrade at WR, OT, DT EDGE or CB which are all premium positions to pick from.

Yeah you missed the 2nd part of the equation I discussed.

The choice isn't between an average guard and an average edge. The choice would be between the best guard in the draft and the 4th to 6th best Edge.

Also, Leonard Floyd was the 9th overall pick and was generally considered a bust until he was 28 years old. The point being, all this talk about taking Edge or Guard or whatever position at #27 is meaningless. Nobody knows what they are getting at #9, or #16 or #27. You set the board and you take the best player.

If we get to #27 and the board says Barton or JPJ is better than whoever else is available you take him. No matter what position they play. Just draft good players.

I agree on positional value. I wouldn't draft anything but QB, WR, EDGE or CB in the top 10. Possibly DT if there is a great one. But by #27 that's long out of the window and you just take BPA.