2024 Texans pick watch thread

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think we'll look to bring the floor of the corner group up with a midlevel free agent like Kenny Moore, Stephon Gilmore, or Chidobe Awuzie, see if we can bring back Antonio Hamilton, use one of our thirds on a prospect, and go from there.

We need more professional players on the defense.
Agree.

Imo...we should focus on completing the offense in the draft.. OT,OG,WR, RB...in the first 3 rounds...along with a DT...

Look to FA for the defense... DT, DT/DE, and CB....

Maybe an OG via FA just to avoid starting two rookies on the line.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious if it's more likely Quinyon Mitchell will available at 35 and Kingsley at this pick, or will it be vice versa?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who do you think these guys are?

Kei'Trel Clark, who got benched, earned his way back into the rotation, and then was promptly benched again?

Garrett Williams, who played nine games, one of which he played more than 79% of the defensive snaps, and began and ended his rookie season inactive for injury?

Starling Thomas?
Would those players improve if they didn’t have to cover somebody for 10 minutes. Didn’t I hear we didn’t have a sack since game 11?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Don’t look at me. I didn’t bench Kei’trel Clark.

The handling of personnel/playing time, especially on defense, was pretty hard to understand. Agree with you 100%.

But, not a whisper of dissension from the locker room, and by all accounts the Cardinals players are on board with JG's program. K1 being a notable and vocal Gannon supporter.

Could the defensive rotation have been JG instilling his vision of the teams culture by holding players like Clark strictly accountable? I guess we hope so! haha. :)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Do you mean aside from the guys inexplicably cut in-season?

Fair question!

Tbh, I don't recall even Marco Wilson bashing us after he was let go. Or Simmons (who was traded for a 7th I believe but that's almost as good as being cut).

Or the safety that seemed to play well for several weeks at the beginning of the season, but was then cut?Who else was there?

Kevin Strong's waiver was described as "amicable" (first time I had ever seen that)!

Am I missing anyone?

So that's what I'm saying K9. No grumbling from from the current locker room, or even from the guys JG let go!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fair question!

Tbh, I don't recall even Marco Wilson bashing us after he was let go. Or Simmons (who was traded for a 7th I believe but that's almost as good as being cut).

Or the safety that seemed to play well for several weeks at the beginning of the season, but was then cut?Who else was there?

Kevin Strong's waiver was described as "amicable" (first time I had ever seen that)!

Am I missing anyone?

So that's what I'm saying K9. No grumbling from from the current locker room, or even from the guys JG let go!
This doesn't happen in the NFL, dude.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah but your point has really no merit.

Every cut was tied to something really tangible..there was no Eno Benjamin type of cut.
Nah. Marco Wilson was benched for four weeks, and then was cut? What's the tangible difference between Christmas Eve and the week after?

Myjai Sanders was just coming off IR and then was cut. What was the tangible difference there -- because our Edges were being soooooo productive?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Do you mean aside from the guys inexplicably cut in-season?

Sorry I initially didn't catch your inference with this post.

If I'm being intellectually honest, I have to concede it's possible K9 that one or more of these guys (add Rashard Lawrence to the list), got sideways with the coaching staff. That they were locker room problems.

And if true, if they then got a pink slip, the remaining lower status players would quickly learn to keep their mouth shut.

But during the long losing stretch there wasn't even anything from the vets. The DJs, the Budda Bakers, JT, Conner (e.g. not whining about carries or anything). Krang also makes a reasonable rebuttal too.

Eh, I think you can judge it either way. To be fair the only fact we have is that we didn't hear any bad mouthing of the coaching, cryptic comments implying problems, or see any finger pointing. But plenty of the "hey we're doing it the right way now".

Anyway, I don't want to make too much out of it. The position of "the locker room is 100% behind the coaches and FO" is not a hill I want to die on, haha.

Hope your 2024 has started out great man, and that your kids soccer team goes 20-0 and wins the championship this year. That would be fun I think (my kids do not like sports, which I can't freaking believe haha :) )!

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hope your 2024 has started out great man, and that your kids soccer team goes 20-0 and wins the championship this year. That would be fun I think (my kids do not like sports, which I can't freaking believe haha :) )!

Thanks, man. You too!

We went 1-15-3 last fall between league games and tournaments, including a BRUTAL 0-6 league schedule with a -40 goal differential that got us double-relegated from Division 3 to Division 5. But they're making progress and we start the new season Saturday. Would love to earn promotion this season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thanks, man. You too!

We went 1-15-3 last fall between league games and tournaments, including a BRUTAL 0-6 league schedule with a -40 goal differential that got us double-relegated from Division 3 to Division 5. But they're making progress and we start the new season Saturday. Would love to earn promotion this season.
keep at it. My first year coaching baseball we went 1-11...following year we went 11-1...kids learn and develop fast

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
keep at it. My first year coaching baseball we went 1-11...following year we went 11-1...kids learn and develop fast

This is our third year. :( We're the second team for a smaller SEV club. Move from 9v9 to 11v11 last season. Of my 13 kids in U12, five came with me to U13. I got two players from the first team, but, man, it's been a struggle. We were absolutely over-seeded by our DoC.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
of the local team-affiliated media that cover the team, there is talk that the Texans pick could be used in a trade for a vet player

could this be a good target:

I hope not, it's one thing to spend that much on a FA but then to give up serious draft capital as well...I think that's dumb.
Its not like we have a ton of cap space so drafting a player at 27 makes to much sense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I hope not, it's one thing to spend that much on a FA but then to give up serious draft capital as well...I think that's dumb.
Its not like we have a ton of cap space so drafting a player at 27 makes to much sense.
We had damn well better. We saved a bunch from last year to roll over and had plenty this year. Not advocating for the above, but we shouldn't be worrying about cap squeeze at this point.

Granted, we don't have a ton of players under contract, so that'll take a lot of outlay to remedy.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We had damn well better. We saved a bunch from last year to roll over and had plenty this year. Not advocating for the above, but we shouldn't be worrying about cap squeeze at this point.

Granted, we don't have a ton of players under contract, so that'll take a lot of outlay to remedy.
I'm all for spending money in FA, just not draft capital along with it. I think you get triggered when you see the phrase "cap space ".