Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What was the time span between the Vogel and Young hirings?

We know they hired Vogel first but who did they tell first? Book or Young?

My guesses:

1) Hired Vogel, told him to pick his staff (like normal)

2) Young hears of the hiring, he knows he's assed out

3) Book hears of the hiring, contacts JJ and says "I thought we were going with Young"

4) Book is told Ishbia wanted defense and championship experience instead

5) Book says "but me and KD wanted Young"

6) JJ proposes to Ishbia they keep Young around, but mentions it will be harder to do

7) I think JJ calls Young and I think Ishbia calls Vogel's camp (or their agents)

8) I think both Young and Vogel had hesitations - so some type of meeting of the minds took place - on the fly

9) An agreement was reached, not sure what (if anything) extra they gave Vogel but they gave You g a lot of money

10) They all agreed (JJ, Ishbia, Booker, KD, Vogel, Young) to get rid of Ayton asap :)
3 through 9 are complete and utter assumption with (as of now) no basis in fact. Book calling JJ and whining about not getting Kevin Young? Yeah, I don't see that. Let alone making Young the highest paid assistant in the NBA for no other reason other than Book was pouting he wasn't made HC.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
3 through 9 are complete and utter assumption with (as of now) no basis in fact. Book calling JJ and whining about not getting Kevin Young? Yeah, I don't see that. Let alone making Young the highest paid assistant in the NBA for no other reason other than Book was pouting he wasn't made HC.
Let me help you out big guy

guess • /ɡes/
verb
estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct.
"she guessed the child's age to be 14 or 15"
Similar:
theory
prediction

And btw Booker wanting Nick Young is pretty much common knowledge so I wouldn't be surprised if he talked with JJ about it, especially SINCE WE HIRED YOUNG RIGHT AFTER

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Let me help you out big guy

guess • /ɡes/
verb
estimate or suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct.
"she guessed the child's age to be 14 or 15"
Similar:
theory
prediction

And btw Booker wanting Nick Young is pretty much common knowledge so I wouldn't be surprised if he talked with JJ about it, especially SINCE WE HIRED YOUNG RIGHT AFTER
You should really stop the passive aggressive personal attacks. They don't fly here.

And it's KEVIN Young, not Nick Young, not sure why you keep calling him that.

I'm sure they TALKED about it, don't be daft. The point is that Book likely didn't demand it. There was a lot of smoke around the organization that they liked Young, so the fact that they retained him isn't a big surprise since he wasn't linked to any other job out there. I'm just glad they didn't hire him as the head coach. Give him the keys to the offense, ok -- but he better learn how to make in-game adjustments, because if he was the offensive guru during Monty's tenure, he sucked pretty hard at it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
What was the time span between the Vogel and Young hirings?

We know they hired Vogel first but who did they tell first? Book or Young?

My guesses:

1) Hired Vogel, told him to pick his staff (like normal)

2) Young hears of the hiring, he knows he's assed out

3) Book hears of the hiring, talks to JJ and says something like "I thought we were going with Young"

4) Book is told Ishbia wanted defense and championship experience instead

5) Book doubles down and says something like "but me and KD wanted Young"

6) JJ proposes to Ishbia they keep Young around, but mentions it will be harder to do

7) I think JJ calls Young and I think Ishbia calls Vogel (or their agents)

8) I think both Young and Vogel had hesitations - so some type of meeting of the minds took place - on the fly

9) An agreement was reached, not sure what (if anything) extra they gave Vogel but they gave Young a lot of freakin money

10) They all agreed (JJ, Ishbia, Booker, KD, Vogel, Young) to get rid of Ayton asap :)
I appreciate your vivid imagination. :)

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You should really stop the passive aggressive personal attacks. They don't fly here.

I'm sure they TALKED about it, don't be daft. The point is that Book likely didn't demand it. There was a lot of smoke around the organization that they liked Young, so the fact that they retained him isn't a big surprise since he wasn't linked to any other job out there. I'm just glad they didn't hire him as the head coach. Give him the keys to the offense, ok -- but he better learn how to make in-game adjustments, because if he was the offensive guru during Monty's tenure, he sucked pretty hard at it.
If you don't like the tone of my response perhaps you should go re-read your own (and dry snitching is pathetic btw)

Also I never said (or guessed) Book demanded anything and everybody knows Young was in the running so you haven't really said anything

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you don't like the tone of my response perhaps you should go re-read your own (and dry snitching is pathetic btw)

Also I never said (or guessed) Book demanded anything and everybody knows Young was in the running so you haven't really said anything
Read your posts again. The cognitive dissonance is real.

Your first and last numbers are true, but everything in-between is just speculation. I'll await your reply with whatever nickname you wish to bestow on me.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like a 100% button for posts I agree with!

I thought the OOF! reaction was 100% when I first saw it on mobile. Probably handed out a few unwarranted OOF's. Oh well.

It does look like the red little emoji for 100% though on small screens, I don't think I'm nuts or blind for making that correlation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For someone who often complains about others acting link "Board Police" you sure do tell others how to post a lot. Project much?

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The perfect C for Suns would be Brook Lopez, who is a FA. I'd ship DA for cap space and 2 first-rounders, if we'd convince Brook to sign the MLE.
Locked on Suns Podcast brings this up, and said we would have to get him for our MLE, AND beg him by saying how nice it is in PHX, and playing with Book and Durant. Yes I totally agree that with his three point shooting we could spread the floor on offense and he would get great looks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For someone who often complains about others acting "Board Police" you sure do tell others how to post a lot. Project much?
Hmm I was responding to a specific post, yet you go general here.

I know you’re upset that some of us don’t agree with you on some things, but if you want to complain, I’m sure the mods will be more than happy to discuss banning me and make your life easier.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Read your posts again. The cognitive dissonance is real.

Your first and last numbers are true, but everything in-between is just speculation. I'll await your reply with whatever nickname you wish to bestow on me.
In my post I clearly stated they were my guesses, it literally says

"my guesses:"

You're the one who came in hot, quit playing victim and go bother someone else

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yuck. That is a brutal list. Many of those guys, I wouldn't take for free.

The only one I'd do is Zion... maybe out of the Bayou he'd be forced to cut down on fried foods and get his ass in shape. The risk reward there is worth it.

The rest of that list is either terrible fits or flat out ass.

With the hiring of Vogel, I am hopping on the "lets hope a new voice can get through to Ayton" train.

If we'd retained Monty, I think Ayton had to go, Monty and him clearly had major problems and I could see Monty basically benching him. But with Vogel, I don't really see his value going down much.

A disengaged Ayton still puts up roughly 18-10, we could still ship him off later if he doesn't get his crap together. Or, if we're feeling really clever, we feed him the ball in the first half of the year, pump up his stats and ship him off on a high note before he can disengage again.
Not sure that voice wouldn’t be Young instead of Vogel.. However Roy Hibbert made all star games and all-defense so a moderate upgrade in defensive coaching could make a difference but I don’t think the X’s & O’s is Ayton’s issue. We know he can post numbers but he doesn’t have it when it comes to self awareness and intensity. You can’t teach those things and if Book is sick of him it’s a wrap.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"The only one I'd do is Zion... maybe out of the Bayou he'd be forced to cut down on fried foods and get his ass in shape. The risk reward there is worth it."

Like Mexican food is better? :shrug:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm I was responding to a specific post, yet you go general here.

I know you’re upset that some of us don’t agree with you on some things, but if you want to complain, I’m sure the mods will be more than happy to discuss banning me and make your life easier.

I don't care if anyone agrees with me, they're MY opinions. Most of this board can disagree in a civil manner. I know I've gone round and round with @Covert Rain and I don't believe he or I have ever got personal with each other, as an example. We just view things differently and that's fine.

I don't want you banned, Chap. I think when you stay on topic you're a great poster but too often you make things personal that aren't.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
"The only one I'd do is Zion... maybe out of the Bayou he'd be forced to cut down on fried foods and get his ass in shape. The risk reward there is worth it."

We rip on Ayton and rightfully so but it’s wild how much of a pass Zion gets nationally. Im sure he’s getting his fair share of criticism in New Orleans but it’s never been a basketball town. They lose Chris Paul and Anthony Davis and nobody cared. Must be nice to eat your face off while making $35m a year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We rip on Ayton and rightfully so but it’s wild how much of a pass Zion gets nationally. Im sure he’s getting his fair share of criticism in New Orleans but it’s never been a basketball town. They lose Chris Paul and Anthony Davis and nobody cared. Must be nice to eat your face off while making $35m a year.
Oliver Miller ate his way out of the league. I can see it happening. Especially when traveling. Those type of guys need to hire a travelling cook, and stick to a training diet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In my post I clearly stated they were my guesses, it literally says

"my guesses:"

You're the one who came in hot, quit playing victim and go bother someone else
I said they were speculation. Instead of losing your mind wouldn’t it have been simpler to just say, “Yep.”?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't care if anyone agrees with me, they're MY opinions. Most of this board can disagree in a civil manner. I know I've gone round and round with @Covert Rain and I don't believe he or I have ever got personal with each other, as an example. We just view things differently and that's fine.

I don't want you banned, Chap. I think when you stay on topic you're a great poster but too often you make things personal that aren't.
I said a post was speculating (which it was) and he replies with passive aggressive name calling. And I’M the one making it personal?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mexican food IS better. Better than Cajun food, better than Italian food, better than sex - it's just better. Okay, I might buy an argument on the last two items.

If you're eating in a restaurant just make sure you skip or go lightly on the chips and salsa. Also, I'd order ala carte unless they have healthily prepared vegetables to replace the rice and beans. A couple of carne asada or grilled chicken tacos are filling and not too bad for you. Or better yet, make some delicious grilled tacos at home so you can control the sodium and the calories. And if you're going meatless, grilled portabello mushroom tacos can be every bit as tasty as the meaty choices.