Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was looking more at finding some cheap talent like the good old days when the Suns found Goran Dragic in the 2nd round.
I'm with you there. I was just stating he is the kind of guy who gets things done. Including hiring guys to do what you are saying.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing we should also remember is that the new CBA doesn't just impact us. All teams moving forward have to play be the same constraints.

In effect, all teams at/over the cap will be in similar-ish boats.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how when it matters, in the playoffs, he can play significant minutes. I think at this point we need to get whatever flexibility we can from him and move on.

I don't know if you mean use future picks/swaps to trade him, or if you mean we don't have anybody of his slotting we can replace him with.

To build our team, I do think we can be creative. We can buy picks. We can use exceptions. In a trade of Ayton, it's possible to get an expiring contract back. One which then, itself can be flipped for a player mid-season (or picks, which then can be kept or traded). We can be a part of three team trades. We have some Saric space to add to any trade.

I also think there's hope of getting some cheap deals too. But it's hard to tell how much pull we might have now that $arver isn't here. Ishbia might start to create that Colangelo-style effect. Great owner. Great weather. Book and Durant. That's a great selling point. We'll see how far this goes with our MLE.

Paul is also an expiring contract. So there's value there too.

We don't need a 3rd star. It would be great. But a couple of willing, consistent scorers/shot-creators would put us in a better place. Book and Durant willed the team down 0-2 without a starter-level PG, Ayton, or much of anyone else.

It's going to be interesting.
The brand new CBA effectively puts an end to some of what you're talking about with exceptions and such. With that and our draft pick situation, our hands are tied in a way they have never been tied before.

And Booker had an unreal 2 game stretch that we will likely never see again, otherwise that could well have been a sweep. They were that much better than us IMO.

We may not need a 3rd star but we definitely need another good player with CP's decline and no Ayton. We lack talent and no way to get it if we can't move DA for it or get it out of him on the court. I don't like it, I just don't see another way.

And buying picks isn't much of an option anymore especially if you can't afford to be patient. And since they are very low picks you'd need a great scouting department and a strong player development program to make something out of them. We have neither and that's not something you fix over night. Keep in mind that with KD's age we have little time to put this contender together.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A day later than I expected. I feel bad for him, but it's the nature of the business. Rarely does a coach get to complete the term of his contract.

Also, I realize that it's unfair to expect journalists to get basic facts right these days, because that's no longer part of the job description, but Williams was NBA Coach of the Year only once.
He was the NBA Coach of the Year once.

He was the NBCA Coach of the Year twice.

Reporter likely just mixed up the two awards.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
this off-season is starting to resemble the end of dantonis run.

Coincidently I recall many posts back then about how the Suns should sign Ty lue to backup nash.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing we should also remember is that the new CBA doesn't just impact us. All teams moving forward have to play be the same constraints.

In effect, all teams at/over the cap will be in similar-ish boats.
It impacts us much more than it does other teams because we don't have 4 of our first round picks and I'm not sure there's another over the cap team that has as many holes as we do. Assuming we're getting rid of CP3 and DA we realistically need to add 3 starters and at least two solid rotation pieces. Also, with KD's age we're up against the clock.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It impacts us much more than it does other teams because we don't have 4 of our first round picks and I'm not sure there's another over the cap team that has as many holes as we do. Assuming we're getting rid of CP3 and DA we realistically need to add 3 starters and at least two solid rotation pieces. Also, with KD's age we're up against the clock.
You (and I) might feel different if we were in our 20's.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this off-season is starting to resemble the end of dantonis run.
Well, we had our best chance at a title two years after DA was gone, so that’s fine with me.

I don’t know why you continually ignore that Gentry got the Nash/Amare Show just as far as DA did, but actually built a bench, played them and slayed the dragon otherwise known as the Spurs.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm hoping Ishbia and Jones are looking to hire scouts both here and overseas soon. Pay them top dollar. Never save money on scouting.
It was very shortsighted of the previous owner. Good drafting (meaning good scouting) gets you a roster filled with (relatively) inexpensive talent. It's a win-win. But I'm pretty sure winning was like a third or fourth priority for Sarver, ranking somewhere after making coin, fluffing his own ego, and running a frat house of an organization.

Jakester

Rookie
Reaction score
Good decision. There are better coaches available out there than Monty who was never going to never deliver a championship With his stand there no adjustment coaching style where he played favorites with garbage players like Shamet and dismissed players with potential like Ayton.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
man, do you all have short memories. i remember not wanting to even waste my time watching before Monty got here. I think Ishbia screwed us with the Durant trade. so far not a fan of what he is doing. personally I think he is going to bring in his old Michigan coach. Monty is not to blame for Bookers poor performance and KD's piss poor play. his bad shooting and turn overs were all mental. not Monty's fault and no Ayton or Paul combined with your super stars stinking up the place. my disappointment was with our Defense we showed no heart the last 2 games. that would be on Monty! as far as you people constantly complaining about his lack of adjustments, he tried most everyone on the Bench. with the exception of a game or 2 none of them could hit an open 3 from the corner. we had a team of mental midgets. I'm disappointed to the point I don't think I will see a championship in my life time, with this new owner.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pop would’ve won at least one championship. Maybe Kerr as well.

Would they?

Based on the posts here, for years, it is impossible to win a title without a "unicorn".

This year Booker became a unicorn but he "didn't have help."

I don't really subscribe to the unicorn theory... I think there are a few players that only got the "unicorn" designation because they've already won. If you make a strong, well balanced roster, you can win.

Where I truly fault Monty is for not winning last year, that was the best team in the NBA, unicorn be damned.

This year we gave him the so called "unicorn" that was needed, although I don't believe Durant is a unicorn... and we were a lesser product.

Either way, Monty needed to go... but I just can't reconcile how many people are arguing for both edges of the sword.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hope the new coach plays a different defense. So tired of seeing small player on big player under the basket. Ayton couldn't play that defense and I'm thinking the new coach will want to keep him. I'm done with Ayton but its like you paid the fair might as well take the trip..

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
meltdown? The 4 seed lost to the 1 seed in 6 games. Which coach would’ve done significantly better?
Really, really? A healthy Suns team this season would have been a 1 or 2 seed. Still would have crashed and burned due to playoff injuries bad bench and bad coaching. Monty not an X’s and O’s Coach. No ability to call timeouts or adjust on the fly. Nice guy, but Happy he’s gone.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Don’t understand the Lue love. Guy got bounced with a better cast than Monte. What’s he going to do here with two guys and nothing else? This guys been riding Lebrons coattails for years.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
meltdown? The 4 seed lost to the 1 seed in 6 games. Which coach would’ve done significantly better?

Many coaches in the playoffs wouldn’t seemingly quit in the last game and get completely embarrassed

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
My vote goes to Mike Budenholzer.

I can't see a reason for the Clipper's coach wanting to move on,,,except for the fact that LA
is now a shyt-box city of filth, drugs, and crime.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson