Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not every number one pick nets a number one pick value in return. Not every number one pick plays to that level. Some number one picks are called busts. Busts don't get number one pick value....
I wouldn’t put money on Ayton being #1 pick value ever in his career. I would, however, put money on him being an all-star elsewhere.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Ayton, whether he has a chance to live up to his #1 rating doesn't matter. We need to win right now, and not be concerned with 3-4 years from now what he can be if he 'gets it'.

Many guys like that, never 'get it'. The die seems fairly cast. He doesn't have to play for a contract for the next few years.

I'd rather look at it like this. Ayton's trade value is already on a downward trend, and in the future is likely to never be higher than it is now. (aside from expiring contract purposes heading into/trade deadline of last year)

It's a pretty big risk to not get rid of him. At this point, I'd take a trash-expiring 2024 contract for him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns are a destination for a new head coach.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't like how Shams worded that. He deliberately named Ishbia and James Jones together as far as naming who is searching for a replacement for Monty. Jones needs to go and it doesn't sound like he will be this off-season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like how Shams worded that. He deliberately named Ishbia and James Jones together as far as naming who is searching for a replacement for Monty. Jones needs to go and it doesn't sound like he will be this off-season.

I noticed that as well. Maybe Shams know something we don't?

Personally, I thought Jones should have been let go at the same time.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
With Ayton, whether he has a chance to live up to his #1 rating doesn't matter. We need to win right now, and not be concerned with 3-4 years from now what he can be if he 'gets it'.

Many guys like that, never 'get it'. The die seems fairly cast. He doesn't have to play for a contract for the next few years.

I'd rather look at it like this. Ayton's trade value is already on a downward trend, and in the future is likely to never be higher than it is now. (aside from expiring contract purposes heading into/trade deadline of last year)

It's a pretty big risk to not get rid of him. At this point, I'd take a trash-expiring 2024 contract for him.
The opportunity costs of missing the true #1 of that draft are done. Let bygones be bygones and look forward to DA's trade value and how it can be used to improve our roster around the KD/Book core.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I get that, but on the other hand they can't really state things any other way until Jones is officially kaput.

Possibly (hopefully), at the very least, Jones will be moved to another role where he isn't handling personnel decisions... and they will bring in someone else who knows what they're doing.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Another plus of moving on from Monty is that it might very likely spell the end of Shamet in a Suns uniform. Unless of course they hire another coach who has a daughter with eyes for Landry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know but it certainly hurt our ability to compete. I'm not saying Dario was a difference maker on his own but it certainly would have been nice to have Dario for the Denver series.

Agree, although I think Bazley has upside. However, I doubt the Suns can afford to keep him.

I wish the Suns had the time and money to find out.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 will be back unless we get a good trade. Ayton is soo gone

What possible basketball rationale could be used to bring back CP3? He's a point guard who struggles mightily against a hounding press, so much so he can't be relied upon to bring up the ball in 8 seconds. And he breaks down every post season without fail. Running it back with CP3 as our starting point guard will guarantee another playoff disappointment.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The opportunity costs of missing the true #1 of that draft are done. Let bygones be bygones and look forward to DA's trade value and how it can be used to improve our roster around the KD/Book core.
Exactly. Sunk cost fallacy can't limit us from doing what needs to be done to win a championship. Now that we have an owner willing to pony up, we have flexibility that we didn't have with $arver. Use what pieces we have and see what James Jones (or preferably a new GM) can do.

I also think it's important to do this before free agency and build some momentum so we can lure some quality vets willing to come cheap to help fill out our roster.

I don't know what we can do, but I'd 100% move Ayton before Paul. We can always use a backup PG. I don't know where Ayton fits with this team. An Irving/Paul PG rotation would be insane. Hey, we're the Suns, most of our best teams we had two good/great PG's. But I'm fine with moving him too.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm hearing that the same complaints we have for Monty is what Bucks fans have for Bud. Extremely slow to make adjustments.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a shame seeing Monty get the boot before Ayton but what are you gonna do
You were convinced it was never going to happen but I thought it was a possibility. Only because 3 out of the last 4 championship winning coaches were fired. My guess is they want a new coach in here ASAP to give his input in future personnel changes. Not shocked at all based on the last 3 playoff performances.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My son says his contract is expiring. I think from what I have been looking he is on Non Guaranteed Years now. Don't know if it's team options or what.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard