Watching the Twins succeed from afar.....

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am saying that it seems to me that this thread (or any like it) simply exists so that people who didn't like the trade can have a repository for their "I told you so's." Every time one or both of them have a nice game, it seems it's going to be referenced here as if we lost that same value by trading them... which there is no evidence of, as they weren't producing the same results here, nor was there any sign that they would ever consistently do so.

I was saying that there was some specific reason(s) why that was, whether it was due to coaching philosophy... or some alternative reasons as you suggest. Whatever the case, the point is the trade isn't and never was going to be a one-to-one opportunity cost. Bridges/Cam were not going to achieve the same results here as Durant will. Never.

Now the draft picks we sent the Nets could always result in four superior players (although it's far more likely they won't), and we could well end up lamenting that. That's the chance you take with any trade - that what you give up ends up being less than you get.

As for trading Bridges for the four first rounders, that certainly wasn't going to win us anything in the near term... and would have been speculative at best in the long term. I would have been highly upset at such a trade, as I'm sure most everyone else here would have been.
The person that made the thread is on record as being for the trade.

Also I am very much for this trade and yet I am very interested in seeing how the twins do in Brooklyn. It's okay to both be good with the trade happening and still want to follow the progress of the players that left at the same time.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson are the biggest fishes in a small pond now, so they're going to eat a lot more. And I suspect Mikal playing the big fish in Phx (due to injuries) during his last run as a Sun has really benefited him in this transition. Brooklyn is setting picks to open Mikal up, players are trying to collapse defenses and dishing it to Mikal after doing so. And Cam is following suit, no longer camping out at the 3 but slashing, rolling, and putting in more work on the boards. Plus Cam Johnson can be a bit more aggressive heading to the bucket, just ask PJ Tucker lol. None of this is "Monty's fault" btw. Much the opposite - Monty had faith in Mikal being the #1 option on offense here in Phx. Mikal went from primarily pick and spot-up to the primary creator and facilitator, there was an adjustment period, some folks said Bridges couldn't do it - but he's doing it now in Brook-town

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Cam and Bridges do really turn into top level guys in Brooklyn, the other question to ask is why didn't they do that here. It wasn't like they both suddenly developed their games to another level overnight on the plane ride to New York.

The obvious answer would be Monty. And unless he was going to be replaced any time soon, we weren't likely to be getting the same results from the two of them that Brooklyn is getting. Something to think about.
Opportunity, and in my opinion they would have done the same thing with the Suns given more time. Both were showing break out performances with the Suns. When that happens it means it's going to happen more often in the future.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opportunity, and in my opinion they would have done the same thing with the Suns given more time. Both were showing break out performances with the Suns. When that happens it means it's going to happen more often in the future.
No it wouldn't. The problem is, the way the Suns are built, it's predicated on having a PG who can distribute and take that burden off of Booker. That means, if the Suns had not made this trade they would have eventually looked for a Paul replacement. Rinse and repeat.

Had they stayed? Those opportunities wouldn't look the same. Neither Bridges or Cam would have been focal points on this team with everyone healthy. It would still be Book, Ayton, our PG then them. Barring a masive overhaul that would feature them, the Nets are giving them opportunities they wouldn't have here.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
It amazes me how everything is "Monty's fault" in here - even when players are being successful lol

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It amazes me how everything is "Monty's fault" in here - even when players are being successful lol
I think the majority here are not directly blaming Monty. This is simply an opportunity issue, IMO. It's much easier to get opportunity when you don't have a Book on your team, CP3 and a center you have to feed. It's silly to think the oppotunities are equal. They will get much more opportunity being featured players on a very thin roster via the Nets.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Devin Booker would score 70 if he were playing in Brooklyn and it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing - because the Nets would probably still lose the game

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker would score 70 if he were playing in Brooklyn and it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing - because the Nets would probably still lose the game
We really don't need him to play for the Nets to know that. He was putting up big numbers when the Suns had a thin roster not that long ago. People were calling his numbers "empty" because we still were not very good.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We really don't need him to play for the Nets to know that. He was putting up big numbers when the Suns had a thin roster not that long ago. People were calling his numbers "empty" because we still were not very good.
That was exactly my point, come on man lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wounds are going to hurt for a long time.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am so glad we at least traded these guys out east. At least this way I can still root for them from afar without having to face them 4 times a year and potentially in the playoffs.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
I’ll always wish both these guys well except for when they play the suns. Now that Bridges is thriving on offense like he was starting to show here before the trade it’s definitely bitter sweet. But man, KD is downright amazing. 20 efficient points on 10 shots. His impact on this team for defense and disruptions, ball handling, rebounding and length, obviously his offense, and just the calm overall presence when he’s on the floor. This team is really good and will be really good for a few years.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
Forgot to add, it seems like everyone has a new life and more hustle so far as well. The role players getting way more open looks…all that stuff boosts the camaraderie and makes the game fun and makes guys want to hustle.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This from the Nets realgm message board. Told ya. In this one thread they are saying he is better than Booker and calling him Kahwi 2.0

Same.

Always thought Bridges (and even Ayton) was being held back by high usage Booker and ball dominant Paul. Booker has always been empty calories to me like LaVine but w/o Paul to help win games.

Which is why in the summer I wanted Bridges over Brown as well because they are imo very similar talent wise but with Bridges you get Cam Johnson and a ton picks because he's been underutilized and underrated.