Now talking about bringing him back with more money WTH man

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only our team lol
We don't extend him ....trade him
Now talking about bringing him back with more money WTH man
Well yeah but to state the obvious, that's not our team talking about it - it's fans on a message board. Trading him was the right thing to do after we'd backed ourselves into a corner by not extending him. The only way I see us getting him back this offseason is if we reached an casual agreement with his agent prior to trading him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Is Jalen gonna command the standard MLE? I don’t know.

Are the Suns smart enough to admit their previous stupidity? I don’t know.

The Suns are not allowed to sign Smith for a starting salary more than what he would have had slotted for next season. I can't find that number, but it looks like the raise between the second and third years is modest, so figure not much more than the $4.5 million he made this year. If the MLE is 6-something, then no, the Suns cannot sign Smith to an MLE contract.

"However, if the team declines either option and the player becomes a free agent, the team cannot re-sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised its option. In other words, teams can't decline an option year in order to get around the rookie salary scale and give the player more money. This applies to all types of signings, including the Bird exception, the Mid-Level exception, and cap room." http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q47

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are not allowed to sign Smith for a starting salary more than what he would have had slotted for next season. I can't find that number, but it looks like the raise between the second and third years is modest, so figure not much more than the $4.5 million he made this year. If the MLE is 6-something, then no, the Suns cannot sign Smith to an MLE contract.

"However, if the team declines either option and the player becomes a free agent, the team cannot re-sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised its option. In other words, teams can't decline an option year in order to get around the rookie salary scale and give the player more money. This applies to all types of signings, including the Bird exception, the Mid-Level exception, and cap room." http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q47

Being the Pacers are now the incumbent team, the salary restriction ($4.5 million) may only apply to them, not the other 29 teams.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
If the only difference was money, the Suns might have a chance of bringing him back. It's hard to see Stix wanting to return to a team that didn't pick up his option and where he didn't get to play much. IMO, he will garner interest from other NBA teams in free agency.

I don't remember a lot of fond farewells when he left. I'd certainly like to see him come back though. It's a shame the Suns didn't pick up his option and traded him for Torrey Craig, a player who might get traded.
Smith spoke well about his experience with the Suns when interviewed. In fact the reporter specifically said he should have hard feeling about what the Suns did and he said, not true at all. He learned a lot that he would use on his next team and was thankful the Suns chose him...and it's hard to win in the NBA. I assumed he was not mad because he too knew which teams were interested in him.

Hali was extremely upset about his trade and didn't have fond things to say until someone probably his agent told him to tone it down

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Well one benefit of the Suns not picking up his option is it made him eligible to be paid more earlier, but it also put his paycheck in jeopardy. I still think it's highly unlikely, but would welcome the news.
So true it was a double edged sword and bitter sweet. And he could only get paid if he has something to offer and if those skills he had coming in were still there.

And Smith also said the Suns had reached out since the trade to offer instructions & congrats. Even Monty talked about his play at Indiana saying he was looking to see if Smith played hard...huh?!? Go figure.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Didn't the Pacers inherit this problem when they acquired Smith? It seems that this restriction no longer applies to the Suns. I can't find irrefutable proof of this, but articles seem to suggest only the Pacers would be encumbered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see that Kyrie Irving and the Brooklyn Nuts are "at an impasse." ... Nah...surely, not in a million years would such a complicated, mercurial player as Kyrie Irving join the Suns to come off the bench until Chris Paul retired. Pity. Would I take him if I could afford him and he were willing to sign? Of course.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I see that Kyrie Irving and the Brooklyn Nuts are "at an impasse." ... Nah...surely, not in a million years would such a complicated, mercurial player as Kyrie Irving join the Suns to come off the bench until Chris Paul retired. Pity. Would I take him if I could afford him and he were willing to sign? Of course.
I am more interested in how KD feels about the Nets now. I can't imagine he would be pleased to stay in Brooklyn if they can't even keep the players they already have. As I recall, KD liked Booker a lot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Didn't the Pacers inherit this problem when they acquired Smith? It seems that this restriction no longer applies to the Suns. I can't find irrefutable proof of this, but articles seem to suggest only the Pacers would be encumbered.
Hmm, I haven't seen those articles, but, could be. I'm just going by ****. I suppose we could ask him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I put this in the Ayton thread but it belongs here.

This screams penny pinching if you don’t use the cap space to keep Ayton
If there’s a positive it’s that they seemingly want to keep aytin. The obvious downside is - penny pinching. This ye will have to luck into a championship where all elements align. Cuz they won’t spend to her one, even when close. That’s what makes last year hurt so much. Everything almost aligned.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there’s a positive it’s that they seemingly want to keep aytin. The obvious downside is - penny pinching. This ye will have to luck into a championship where all elements align. Cuz they won’t spend to her one, even when close. That’s what makes last year hurt so much. Everything almost aligned.
I have been saying this as well. If we keep Ayton? I knew other guys were going to be causalities. No way the Suns are going to carry the largest luxury tax bill in the league. No way. What is scary is where is the 3 point shooting going to come from?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It seems like an obvious move. If Ayton is retained, the core is Book at $34M (soon to be supermax), Ayton at 30M, and Bridges at $21M. That's $85M right there without even mentioning CP3 at $28M. Cam is likely going to command $15-20M. It makes sense to move him and possibly get a young PG or PF on another rookie scale contract. It's a gamble, but the Suns can potentially find much of what Cam provides for less, and may be find another building block for the future.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like an obvious move. If Ayton is retained, the core is Book at $34M (soon to be supermax), Ayton at 30M, and Bridges at $21M. That's $85M right there without even mentioning CP3 at $28M. Cam is likely going to command $15-20M. It makes sense to move him and possibly get a young PG or PF on another rookie scale contract. It's a gamble, but the Suns can potentially find much of what Cam provides for less, and may be find another building block for the future.

If the Suns do not keep Paul after the coming season, they can spread his remaining salary over years.

Cam Johnson's extension would not start until the 2023-24 season.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every team in the NBA is after more 3 point shooting. Not sure you can just say...hey....we can easily get that. We signed Shamet remember? Why do I feel like the Suns are playing multiple games of chicken right now?!?!!?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been saying this as well. If we keep Ayton? I knew other guys were going to be causalities. No way the Suns are going to carry the largest luxury tax bill in the league. No way. What is scary is where is the 3 point shooting going to come from?
I haven't researched it but I think it would take a handful of years before we could even got close to this? We're certainly going to be payers but we aren't yet repeat offenders and our overall payroll should still be dwarfed by teams such as Golden State, Brooklyn and the Lakers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't researched it but I think it would take a handful of years before we could even got close to this? We're certainly going to be payers but we aren't yet repeat offenders and our overall payroll should still be dwarfed by teams such as Golden State, Brooklyn and the Lakers.
Phoenix is about $20 million from the $149 million luxury tax threshold and will cross it should Deandre Ayton return on anything close to a max contract. That's without trying to sign guys like McGee. Let's say they resign both? They would resign Ayton, have to use the midlevel exception to resign JaVale McGee. The Suns would be looking at the biggest luxury tax bill in the league, up to $77 million.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix is about $20 million from the $149 million luxury tax threshold and will cross it should Deandre Ayton return on anything close to a max contract. That's without trying to sign guys like McGee. Let's say they resign both? They would resign Ayton, have to use the midlevel exception to resign JaVale McGee. The Suns would be looking at the biggest luxury tax bill in the league, up to $77 million.

That doesn't touch on what Golden State is looking at that. They plan on retaining Looney, Payton, Porter, and extending Poole. The money they're looking at spending this off-season is nuts. That's before Wiggins is extended and word has it that he wants a max deal.

They should be in repeater tax territory also, which would trump the Suns potential tax bill.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't touch on what Golden State is looking at that. They plan on retaining Looney, Payton, Porter, and extending Poole. The money they're looking at spending this off-season is nuts. That's before Wiggins is extended and word has it that he wants a max deal.

They should be in repeater tax territory also, which would trump the Suns potential tax bill.

Sarver doesn't run Golden State. The last figure I read is GS would be at 85 million in luxury tax. That still puts the Suns pretty damn close but Golden State is a champion.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously. I was referencing how you mentioned it would be the highest tax bill in the league. Golden State is also in the league.
I am just repeating what the article stated. Again, the last projection I had seen is that Golden State would come in about 85 million luxury tax bill which was a projection likely after this article was written. That's only 8 million difference if the Suns resigned both Ayton and McGee (using the MLE). Seems like splitting hairs. The point being is the Suns would have one of the largest luxury tax bills in the entire NBA. Comparing them to the Lakers or Golden State is moot. Those teams have a history of winning titles. The Suns don't.

The point being is does anybody think Sarver is going to carry one of the largest luxury tax bills in the NBA? If we are entertaining moving guys like Cam to resign Ayton? Doesn't sound like it does it? Chances are more cost cutting is coming. Not just for next season but the next several. I was worried about this should we resign Ayton.

I sure hope the Suns have some crafty moves up their sleeves or this run is done.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just repeating what the article stated. Again, the last projection I had seen is that Golden State would come in about 85 million luxury tax bill which was a projection likely after this article was written. That's only 8 million difference if the Suns resigned both Ayton and McGee (using the MLE). Seems like splitting hairs. The point being is the Suns would have one of the largest luxury tax bills in the entire NBA. Comparing them to the Lakers or Golden State is moot. Those teams have a history of winning titles. The Suns don't.

The point being is does anybody think Sarver is going to carry one of the largest luxury tax bills in the NBA? If we are entertaining moving guys like Cam to resign Ayton? Doesn't sound like it does it? Chances are more cost cutting is coming. Not just for next season but the next several. I was worried about this should we resign Ayton.

I sure hope the Suns have some crafty moves up their sleeves or this run is done.

Cuts will likely be made somewhere down the road but while they are a contender, I would hope they would be willing to pay the luxury tax. James Jones has said as much.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cuts will likely be made somewhere down the road but while they are a contender, I would hope they would be willing to pay the luxury tax. James Jones has said as much.
His comment was sort of nebulous. I am sure they are willing to pay SOME luxury tax. However, Sarver, the Suns are not the Lakers or Golden State. The moves over the coming weeks are going to expose how far they are willing to go. This Cam move doesn't seem to be in that direction.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Golden State paid almost 350 million this past season in salary and Luxury Tax (as a repeat offender). This season that figure is expected to go up to roughly 500 Million.