Let’s Take a Moment to Overreact to Kyler’s IG Page

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
in this entire wretched affair, here is what doesnt make sense to me:

1. the "K1 scrubbed his social of Cardinal stuff because he wants a new contract". The SB hadn't even been played at that point. Thats a move that is made about the time when Chandler Jones made his move: minicamp not the first week of Feb. Im sure he wants a new contract, but you dont nuke negotiations when they havent even gotten going ( and he has an accomplished agent managing this process too).

2. the "K1 is immature......" hit from Mortensen was the Cardinals front office sending a message. That kind of leak accomplishes nothing. Mike B, Keim, Kliff aren't geniuses --- but they also aren't that kind of grossly stupid. Why issue that anonymous hit only to have to issue a public statement contradicting it? Given the emphasis Mike B puts on confidentiality -- my pov is that the only people who would say this to Mort are those not with the org. any more.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
in this entire wretched affair, here is what doesnt make sense to me:

1. the "K1 scrubbed his social of Cardinal stuff because he wants a new contract". The SB hadn't even been played at that point. Thats a move that is made about the time when Chandler Jones made his move: minicamp not the first week of Feb. Im sure he wants a new contract, but you dont nuke negotiations when they havent even gotten going ( and he has an accomplished agent managing this process too).

2. the "K1 is immature......" hit from Mortensen was the Cardinals front office sending a message. That kind of leak accomplishes nothing. Mike B, Keim, Kliff aren't geniuses --- but they also aren't that kind of grossly stupid. Why issue that anonymous hit only to have to issue a public statement contradicting it? Given the emphasis Mike B puts on confidentiality -- my pov is that the only people who would say this to Mort are those not with the org. any more.
They never contradicted it. They just said Kyler is our QB.

I bet that Kyler’s team reached out to Keim about an extension and he had a list of concerns and they decided to escalate because one wasn’t forthcoming. Kyler wanted to be paid as a Top 5 QB because he’s a Top 5 Fantasy QB. That’s my guess.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Occam's Razor explanation is that Kyler thinks it's time for a new contract and he doesnt like the org's stance (low ball or no contract at all), so he's using whatever leverage he has at his disposal to create a sense of urgency, though it's making him look juvenile in the process.

Kyler started the fire, but in the blaze, revealed (or re-revealed) the org's ineptitude in the process.

Andre 3000 needs to calm down here

The similarities between Kyler Murray being eligible for an extension and Deandre Ayton being eligible for an extension this past summer are almost identical even down to some of the media coverage. Also they were both drafted #1.

It's ironic how different the players have handled it.

I think Ayton had much more public support because he kept it out of the media.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
i could definitively see that --

but this feels so early for things to go nuclear from either side...
This agent also represents Kingsbury which might tie into the story of that obscure meeting rumored to have included Michael Bidwill losing his shiat (which one cannot blame him) and the agent took it personal leading then the young QB on... business should never be personal but maybe not with this agent

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The similarities between Kyler Murray being eligible for an extension and Deandre Ayton being eligible for an extension this past summer are almost identical even down to some of the media coverage. Also they were both drafted #1.

I also think it helps that both Jones and Ayton shared their perspectives briefly to the media; thus, giving us transparency and reinforcing that the ship is steady. It’s been nothing but speculation and acrimony from the K1/Cards front

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In hindsight, it is interesting to look back at this pre-draft post regarding Kyler:

On its own->

Height can be discounted
Physical build can be discounted
Awkward interviews can be discounted
A low Wonderlic score can be discounted
Questions about leadership can be discounted
Backing off from measurements on pro-day can be discounted
Not showing up for Charity events can be discounted
"LaVar" like helicopter parents can be discounted

At some point, The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts, no?
:grabs:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton had more public support because he was a beast in the playoffs and helped us get the Finals.

Kyler led a collapse down the stretch of the season, then looked like a joke as we got humiliated in the first round after being a Super Bowl favorite a month earlier.

I think that has a ton more to do with public desire and support for Ayton v. Kyler. that said, Ayton has said all and done all the right things in the press after not getting what he thought he deserved. Also, as much as I bang on him for his motor sometimes, Ayton is a really affable, goofy big lug you can’t help but like. Whereas Kyler comes off as aloof, who’s distant and thinks he’s better than the rest of the team. And you know what... he very well may be, but you can’t act that way, especially without winning at a high level, with that attitude.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn straight, then we forget about that incredible pass on the run to Kirk deep who stops on his route or Max Garcia literally getting thrown like a ragdoll five yards :)

Not saying others didn't make a mistake or two at some point. But Kyler made like, all the mistakes, especially in the 1st half. There was barely a play he didn't run the wrong way, make the wrong read or throw a bad pass.

Look, players have bad games, it's done. Hopefully he learns from it. But the whole "feels like a scapegoat" thing is nonsense. He's the biggest reason we were whooped.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my pov is that the only people who would say this to Mort are those not with the org. any more.

Same.

The idea that the FO is doing this is beyond dumb, and really only exists to feed the narrative for those that really hate Keim. "Keim sucks so it must have been Keim leaking".

Nobody knows about Kyler's leadership and maturity issues more than people in the locker room with him. Hell, this could have come from Fitz, AJ Green, Christian Kirk's mom, a disgruntled Isabella, Hudson, Watt, Coach Clement or anyone else. It could come from someone who has no beef with Kyler but sees there is an obvious issue with his leadership and took the opportunity the Instagram story gave them to highlight some issues.

It's probably not even one source. The original Mort story about the org wanting him to step up and be a better leader more than likely came from a very different source than Dan Bickley's "He phones his GF at half time" nonsense.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They never contradicted it. They just said Kyler is our QB.

I bet that Kyler’s team reached out to Keim about an extension and he had a list of concerns and they decided to escalate because one wasn’t forthcoming. Kyler wanted to be paid as a Top 5 QB because he’s a Top 5 Fantasy QB. That’s my guess.

Just because they didn't contradict is doesn't mean they were the source. They can't contradict something we all know to be true. Especially when they surely do want Kyler to work on it. Saying "Oh no Kyler's leadership is awesome" would be counterproductive.

I would be surprised if they reached out for a new deal yet. It's super early. You don't make the first move, you let them come to you.

It's also counter intuitive. If you have to go asking for a 3rd year extension then you defacto haven't earned it. If you have earned it then the team come banging on your door to get you signed up ASAP.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont get this at all. Why the complaints about his body language, getting upset with teammates, etc if he didnt care about winning?
Pouting on the sidelines when things don't go your way is not the same as caring about winning.

When has he "gotten upset with teammates?" The most he ever says after a loss is "We have to be better." or "We'll be fine." He's not a great interview - win or lose.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont get this at all. Why the complaints about his body language, getting upset with teammates, etc if he didnt care about winning?

People respond to adversity in two ways.

They bow their heads and say "Aww man. This is tough, I'm not sure if I can do this. Why bother? Doesn't matter what I do" or they say "Come on. I got this. You can't beat me. I'm going to give it everything to succeed. Worst case I know I gave it everything I have".

And Kyler's not the 2nd one.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just because they didn't contradict is doesn't mean they were the source. They can't contradict something we all know to be true. Especially when they surely do want Kyler to work on it. Saying "Oh no Kyler's leadership is awesome" would be counterproductive.

I would be surprised if they reached out for a new deal yet. It's super early. You don't make the first move, you let them come to you.

It's also counter intuitive. If you have to go asking for a 3rd year extension then you defacto haven't earned it. If you have earned it then the team come banging on your door to get you signed up ASAP.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

As if Keim has a history of great decision making.
Pouting on the sidelines when things don't go your way is not the same as caring about winning.

When has he "gotten upset with teammates?" The most he ever says after a loss is "We have to be better." or "We'll be fine." He's not a great interview - win or lose.
This selective memory is amusing. We want the Tom Brady like interviews where its boring. However, lets not act like he wasnt visibly upset with AJ Green after the Packers loss. During the Seahawks he seemed to get upset about a poorly run route that could have extended the drive extended their lead late. He chewed out Darrell Daniels on primetime TV for missing a block last year.

We get it. Some people dont like Kyler or how he carries himself. The leap that he doesnt care about winning is it a bit of a joke.
People respond to adversity in two ways.

They bow their heads and say "Aww man. This is tough, I'm not sure if I can do this. Why bother? Doesn't matter what I do" or they say "Come on. I got this. You can't beat me. I'm going to give it everything to succeed. Worst case I know I gave it everything I have".

And Kyler's not the 2nd one.
Lol c'mon man. Haily Murray showed he cared about winning. Primetime game against the Seahawks showed he did. Heck his first game he trailed by 3 scores in the 4th and came back. He led a 99-yard drive without Hopkins against the Packers and a AJ turn around from winning it.

Its one thing to question if he's good enough to consistently win. However, to question his desire to win or wanting to win is a stretch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
However, lets not act like he wasnt visibly upset with AJ Green after the Packers loss. During the Seahawks he seemed to get upset about a poorly run route that could have extended the drive extended their lead late. He chewed out Darrell Daniels on primetime TV for missing a block last year.
Would you describe this behavior as finger-pointing?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn straight, then we forget about that incredible pass on the run to Kirk deep who stops on his route or Max Garcia literally getting thrown like a ragdoll five yards :)
Does anyone have a replay of that play from different angles because watching the game live, it was apparent to me that Kirk had no chance to catch that pass.

I was watching Kirk get behind the defense and right when Kyler wound up I started thinking this could be huge and then the ball was short and landed right in the space between Kirk and Moore(I think), put in the only place neither of them could get it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his immediate reaction was very honest.

Hey as long we're being consistent.

You cant have it both ways. Either he's a guy cares about winning or not.
Hard to read the guy. Just not very vocal or much of a wordsmith. Has said before that he is "used to winning" but then in a postgame interview, he's like "Uh, yeah, uh..it is what it is. We've got to be better." and then goes off to play video games.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd call it holding people accountable, but that's just me.

Let's not confuse the two. Holding people to account for mistakes in the here and now should be something every QB does.

"Finger pointing" is trying to blame others for your own failures after the fact.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson