Franchise tag updating

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Judon, Dupree, Yannick are funny, but Floyd might the most hilarious one on that list.

Unlike Reddick, he had the benefit of playing his natural position once he got into the league.

He was pretty much a bust with the Bears while playing aside a great front 7 group & of course superstar Khalil Mack.

He goes to the Rams & actually looks competent, but I wonder why? I’m sure it had something to with one of the greatest defensive players of all time taking away the attention. Also, a bonus of a shutdown CB giving the front 4 more time.

Dante Fowler part II.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
your first statement is what I agree with most. to be "going for it" means to build ON TOP of what was already working. The defense is now losing it's best player from last year and hoping two guys on the wrong side of thirty, one of them constantly injured over the last five years and one of them coming off season ending injury, are going to be the answer. But, yes, we're going to hear people in the media and posters here ringing the "going for it" bell, just like they did that obvious punt season when they held on to the old guard too long with Palmer and crew, while letting Campbell walk and overpaying for crap like Gresham.

I just look at the bucs... THAT is a team that goes for it. They have three MAJOR FA about to hit the market, and from all reports they are franchising one and getting the other two signed before FA starts. That is going for it. Not letting your best player from last year's defense walk who's just coming into the prime of his career.

We are going for publicity and hoping and praying health in our corner... which it rarely has been when dealing with chronically injured players.
Not arguing with any point here, but I would question if what they see in practice and terms of preparation habits meets the performance that some here think Reddick is now capable of going forward.

The 5 sack game stands out in this point. He may have had a great game there, but are the coaches seeing him freelancing at other times, not coming to practice with the required intensity, and so on?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barrett, Dupree, Floyd for sure. Yannick has been more productive and so has Clowney. Even a guy like Judon may draw more interest.
Carl Lawson is out there too.

the best thing Reddick has going for him is his age.

I’d like the Cards to keep him but I’m not giving him a huge contract.

Dupree, with his torn ACL? That definitely would be a Keim move. We have seen that once or twice and ended poorly. (DJ/Tyrann)

I would give you Barrett and Floyd, (debatable) but for the type of money that they command, I'd take Reddick over the rest, unless they were 1-2 year deals only.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at the pass rushers hitting the market, Reddick is about the 5th, or worse, option.

Id rather use the money on upgrading the WR corps and OL.

Totally agree, after the J J Watt signing our biggest needs are OL,Wr, and also CB. Build up the offense around Kyler!!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
wondering if the Cards plan is to take the Reddick money and sign two corners, an interior OL and then either draft Azeez Ojulari in the first or Joseph Ossai in the second

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Judon, Dupree, Yannick are funny, but Floyd might the most hilarious one on that list.

Unlike Reddick, he had the benefit of playing his natural position once he got into the league.

He was pretty much a bust with the Bears while playing aside a great front 7 group & of course superstar Khalil Mack.

He goes to the Rams & actually looks competent, but I wonder why? I’m sure it had something to with one of the greatest defensive players of all time taking away the attention. Also, a bonus of a shutdown CB giving the front 4 more time.

Dante Fowler part II.
You’re funny. Thanks for the entertainment.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
dude hasn’t even made the Pro Bowl in 4 of the last 5 years. But we’re paying him like he has.

worked out great depending on perpetually injured guys over 30 with Gilbert and Alford...

Perpetual means so frequent as to seem endless and uninterrupted.

JJ: 2020: 16 games and over 1000 snaps.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Barrett, Dupree, Floyd for sure. Yannick has been more productive and so has Clowney. Even a guy like Judon may draw more interest.
Carl Lawson is out there too.

the best thing Reddick has going for him is his age.

I’d like the Cards to keep him but I’m not giving him a huge contract.
Dupree, with his torn ACL? That definitely would be a Keim move. We have seen that once or twice and ended poorly. (DJ/Tyrann)

I would give you Barrett and Floyd, (debatable) but for the type of money that they command, I'd take Reddick over the rest, unless they were 1-2 year deals only.

Yeah Dupree had less sack production than Markus Golden.

And a torn ACL. These factors matter. Dupree is a really nice run defender, a fine complement...but he is not the pass rusher Reddick can be.

I'm resigned to the idea of letting Reddick go. I would want him back, but I don't view him as a make or break player....in fact Reddick on a bad contract could hurt this team quite a bit going forward.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm seeing some sports writers saying Reddick would be a good fit with the Giants. It would be really funny if he goes to the Giants and sucks after getting 5 sacks vs. them the previous season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

exception to the rule for the last five years where he’s only played 48 of 80 games. Players don’t usually get healthier with age when their body has shown the propensity to break down.

hope to be proven wrong and he somehow reverses course, but I ain’t going to bury my head in the sand about who we signed and what condition his body is in at this point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Considering he’s played in more than 8 games in only 2 of his last 5 seasons, he’s not a stretch from “perpetual,” but I think you got the message, semantics or not.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Yeah Dupree had less sack production than Markus Golden.

And a torn ACL. These factors matter. Dupree is a really nice run defender, a fine complement...but he is not the pass rusher Reddick can be.

I'm resigned to the idea of letting Reddick go. I would want him back, but I don't view him as a make or break player....in fact Reddick on a bad contract could hurt this team quite a bit going forward.
I agree with you about Reddick and the Cards.

As for Dupree, he was the focus of the OL and stopping him from getting to the QB. Reddick and Golden are afterthoughts. The torn ACL is a concern but no one outside of a Cardinals fan puts Reddick in Dupree's class. I wish Reddick was as good as Dupree, the Cards would've tagged him.
Look at Pittsburgh's defense production after Dupree was injured. Pitts was 11-0 with Dupree, 1-4 without. Every game after he was injured they allowed over 21 points. In the first 11, when Dupree was playing, they allowed 3 teams to score over 21.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
exception to the rule for the last five years where he’s only played 48 of 80 games. Players don’t usually get healthier with age when their body has shown the propensity to break down.

hope to be proven wrong and he somehow reverses course, but I ain’t going to bury my head in the sand about who we signed and what condition his body is in at this point.

Exception to a rule = not a rule.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I believe Reddick will get a contract that he will not be able to live up to. I also believe if a team is not very careful about his fit in the scheme, he will be cut very quickly. That said, I was willing to give him 4 yrs and 40 mil because I believe he brings a speed rush element that we otherwise lack and would need to add.

OP
OP
juza76

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Reddick will get a contract that he will not be able to live up to. I also believe if a team is not very careful about his fit in the scheme, he will be cut very quickly. That said, I was willing to give him 4 yrs and 40 mil because I believe he brings a speed rush element that we otherwise lack and would need to add.
Maybe they offered and he wanted more
Maybe in the case other offers doesn't attract him, he will accept the Cardinals proposal
But are u agree the tag for him was too much?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe they offered and he wanted more
Maybe in the case other offers doesn't attract him, he will accept the Cardinals proposal
But are u agree the tag for him was too much?
If you are looking to maximize your ability to take advantage of a down cap year, yes, any tag makes that more difficult. I am sure the Cardinals made him at least a decent offer. I don't blame him for wanting to see what else is out there before taking it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with you about Reddick and the Cards.

As for Dupree, he was the focus of the OL and stopping him from getting to the QB. Reddick and Golden are afterthoughts. The torn ACL is a concern but no one outside of a Cardinals fan puts Reddick in Dupree's class. I wish Reddick was as good as Dupree, the Cards would've tagged him.
Look at Pittsburgh's defense production after Dupree was injured. Pitts was 11-0 with Dupree, 1-4 without. Every game after he was injured they allowed over 21 points. In the first 11, when Dupree was playing, they allowed 3 teams to score over 21.
That’s not true. I just read a piece that was breaking down edge rushers in terms of opportunity and production and it essentially said of the free agents dupree has the easiest path to sacks this year and his production essentially met expectations given his easy path and didn’t exceed it. But it said Reddick exceeded it. Essentially called them both gambles for different reasons (Dupree for not standing out and Reddick for low data set of success). Think it was espn.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I wonder if Reddick holds a grudge for being misused for 3 years.
I find it amusing that Joseph gets no credit for putting Reddick at rush LB but gets all the blame for misusing Simmons.

My thoughts are, Simmons just wasn't ready and was making mistakes that would cost the defense. Coaches and players need to trust the guys on the field and Simmons had to earn it.

With Reddick, I'm not sure. If he'd shown he was a pass rushing demon earlier in his career, they would have played him there. Pass rush is the most important part of the defense. I'm sure they experimented in practice with him rushing the QB. If he was blowing by guys and dominating, they would have put him there.

I think the players should get blame/credit for their performance.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do remember Reddick showing pass rush ability late in the 2019 season. I agree that VJ should get credit for moving Reddick to OLBer or maybe Davis should get the credit

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
My thoughts are, Simmons just wasn't ready and was making mistakes that would cost the defense.

i think us fans underestimate the importance of on field off season stuff + preseason games for young players

i also think that if Simmons had been a rookie on the 2019 team that had no realistic expectations, he would have played every down and the staff would have lived with the growing pains

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
That’s not true. I just read a piece that was breaking down edge rushers in terms of opportunity and production and it essentially said of the free agents dupree has the easiest path to sacks this year and his production essentially met expectations given his easy path and didn’t exceed it. But it said Reddick exceeded it. Essentially called them both gambles for different reasons (Dupree for not standing out and Reddick for low data set of success). Think it was espn.
Whoever wrote that is just wrong on Dupree. We get about every Steelers game here and I’ve seen a lot of them. Reddick is just not as good as Dupree, at least up to this point.

maybe going forward, Reddick will be better but, watching the games, it’s not the case so far.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Reddick’s last season was better than any Dupree season despite Dupree playing with a fantastic DL group/Watt while this was Reddick’s first full year playing OLB. Reddick is closer to Shaq Barrett than he is Bud Dupree.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson