15 thoughts - Eagles game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

1 – Kyler Murray certainly looked healthier than the last few weeks (which probably has something to do with the fact that he was), and if he gets fully going again then this offense is capable of everything.

2 – With the victory, the Cards eliminated the Niners. Now it feels like Christmas.

3 – Everything was set up for the pass defense to have a field day - and then they get torched.

4 – This year, I think I have heavily neglected to mention how great a player Zeke Turner is. Other than the flash plays, he clearly leads the league in assisted tackles on special teams. He is always around the football as a gunner.

5 – The opposing offense’ best change to convert a third down is to get in third-and-very-long.

6 – I am a big fan of European football (what you call soccer – come on, guys. Really?), and this is what we call “an open game,” which means that no one is in control, you truly feel like anything can happen at any second, and momentum is swinging back and forth. I really don’t like games like that. It so uneasy. So unpredictable. I don’t like it.

7 – I was looking forward to seeing Justin Pugh and Justin Murray as the two guards for an entire game, so I was bummed that Pugh was out, so Murray was in fact replacing him instead of Sweezy.

8 – First Fitz-touchdown of the season! Weeehuuu!

9 – On average, Dennis Gardeck creates a sack every 13 defensive snap he plays. I am no football coach, but I am pretty sure that is a good ratio.

10 - I feel like Jordan Hicks is underrated by many fans.

11 – Sure, you often heard about how Nuk Hopkins was great at contested catches, and from time to time you maybe saw a highlight from a Texans game, but I certainly did not follow them closely, so to see it repeatedly? Man, that is impressive.

12 – What a great throw by Andy Lee. So much touch on it, dropping it right in the basket.

13 – Tough, tough game for the two tackles (and J.R. Sweezy, Mason Cole, Justin Murray, and Max Garcia).

14 – It never stop to amazes me how impressive closing speed Haason Reddick has. That is better than 99.9% of all players in the NFL. Oh, and he registered the fastest sack of the week in the NFL with 2.04 seconds.

15 – It is not like I am breaking any big secret here, but Chase Edmonds is really a joy to watch when he gets in open space.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I though dj Humphries was fine meanwhile Hicks had his better game of the season which wasn't harder since he was at best mediocre in the other games
He hasn't been challenged much, using Simmons and banjo on their tigh ends

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff as usual and I fully agree with you about Turner. I haven't watched all the NFL games but I gotta think he will win ST's player of the Week.

Nuk is crazy good and it's so much fun to watch him play. We have been spoiled by Fitz for years and now we have the next one to keep spoiling us.

Reddick has become one of my favorites and Gardeck simply makes me smile all the time.

We need CB's badly, this is the biggest hole on the team. Interior Oline would be next biggest.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

1 – Kyler Murray certainly looked healthier than the last few weeks (which probably has something to do with the fact that he was), and if he gets fully going again then this offense is capable of everything.

2 – With the victory, the Cards eliminated the Niners. Now it feels like Christmas.

3 – Everything was set up for the pass defense to have a field day - and then they get torched.

4 – This year, I think I have heavily neglected to mention how great a player Zeke Turner is. Other than the flash plays, he clearly leads the league in assisted tackles on special teams. He is always around the football as a gunner.

5 – The opposing offense’ best change to convert a third down is to get in third-and-very-long.

6 – I am a big fan of European football (what you call soccer – come on, guys. Really?), and this is what we call “an open game,” which means that no one is in control, you truly feel like anything can happen at any second, and momentum is swinging back and forth. I really don’t like games like that. It so uneasy. So unpredictable. I don’t like it.

7 – I was looking forward to seeing Justin Pugh and Justin Murray as the two guards for an entire game, so I was bummed that Pugh was out, so Murray was in fact replacing him instead of Sweezy.

8 – First Fitz-touchdown of the season! Weeehuuu!

9 – On average, Dennis Gardeck creates a sack every 13 defensive snap he plays. I am no football coach, but I am pretty sure that is a good ratio.

10 - I feel like Jordan Hicks is underrated by many fans.

11 – Sure, you often heard about how Nuk Hopkins was great at contested catches, and from time to time you maybe saw a highlight from a Texans game, but I certainly did not follow them closely, so to see it repeatedly? Man, that is impressive.

12 – What a great throw by Andy Lee. So much touch on it, dropping it right in the basket.

13 – Tough, tough game for the two tackles (and J.R. Sweezy, Mason Cole, Justin Murray, and Max Garcia).

14 – It never stop to amazes me how impressive closing speed Haason Reddick has. That is better than 99.9% of all players in the NFL. Oh, and he registered the fastest sack of the week in the NFL with 2.04 seconds.

15 – It is not like I am breaking any big secret here, but Chase Edmonds is really a joy to watch when he gets in open space.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
10. Jordan Hicks is an old school middle linebacker, he makes tackles & he's physical but he can't cover for $#/+. In today's NFL, even the Mike linebackers need speed because of all the crossing routes & delayed drags with TE's. They can get away with not needing as much speed in the middle at times. There's critical downs where smart OC's will take advantage of Hicks being on the field. Obvious passing situations he needs to be on the sideline & Simmons needs to be in there.

11. Hopkins has been used right the last 2 games. Against the Giants KK lined him up on the right several snaps to give them a look they haven't seen from him. Against the Eagles he didn't just run for the sticks, he ran deeper routes & that's why he had so many yards. It's a whole lot easier for a DB to cover him if he knows he's just going for the sticks. However, if they think he's running a deeper route, they'll play off of him & expect help over the top. 1 of 2 things will happen there. 1. He'll get his defender on his heels & have a field day on most targets. 2. The DB will get help over the top & we can ding them underneath or hit something deep. The 49ers will watch the tape against the Eagles & more than likely double him all day long. Let em. Arnold will be open for a deep middle shot & there will not be an extra guy in the box on runs. I really wish KK would put Hopkins in motion some?

13. Gaillard needs to be our starting Center, Cole isn't strong enough. I'll be so glad when Sweezy is no longer under contract. Justin Murray is way better imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
10. Jordan Hicks is an old school middle linebacker, he makes tackles & he's physical but he can't cover for $#/+. In today's NFL, even the Mike linebackers need speed because of all the crossing routes & delayed drags with TE's. They can get away with not needing as much speed in the middle at times. There's critical downs where smart OC's will take advantage of Hicks being on the field. Obvious passing situations he needs to be on the sideline & Simmons needs to be in there.

I don’t think I agree with that, CFL, as I think Hicks is better in coverage than you think, but if you are correct wouldn’t that basically be saying that fans shouldn’t criticize Hicks since he is only doing what he can?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ball on the blocked punt felt like it stayed in bounds for a long time.

my reaction was the same as Zeke Turners when the ball finally went out of bounds.

how we didn’t come up with ball is beyond me

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The ball on the blocked punt felt like it stayed in bounds for a long time.

my reaction was the same as Zeke Turners when the ball finally went out of bounds.

how we didn’t come up with ball is beyond me
It looked like 54 had a chance & was pretty upset on sideline about not getting to ball.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t think I agree with that, CFL, as I think Hicks is better in coverage than you think, but if you are correct wouldn’t that basically be saying that fans shouldn’t criticize Hicks since he is only doing what he can?
I apologize if you thought I was criticizing him & you really like him as a player? I like him also & he does what he can for sure, he does play hard. He does better when he just drops back in coverage & has no ground to cover really. If he has to follow a route across the field that's when he has trouble covering. Simmons has 4.3 speed & needs to be in there for Hicks on passing downs.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I apologize if you thought I was criticizing him & you really like him as a player? I like him also & he does what he can for sure, he does play hard. He does better when he just drops back in coverage & has no ground to cover really. If he has to follow a route across the field that's when he has trouble covering. Simmons has 4.3 speed & needs to be in there for Hicks on passing downs.

No, not at all, CFL. I actually agree with you. :) My point was only that I think he is sometimes being unfairly criticized, but I don’t think you do that. :)

Merry Christmas!

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Great write up Ghandi. I love the stat on Gardeck. He is a tremendous asset. I can't help but see a little PT42 in him. The long hair, enthusiasm, and relentless energy just really strikes a chord to me.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great write up Ghandi. I love the stat on Gardeck. He is a tremendous asset. I can't help but see a little PT42 in him. The long hair, enthusiasm, and relentless energy just really strikes a chord to me.

Jay, I have not been a fan long enough to have seen Pat Tillman, and because of that legacy, I have been a little hesitant to ask if Gardeck reminds people of Tillman. Of course because of the look, but also the history and playing style.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Gardeck is a better player than Pat ever was...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson