What have you replaced Sports with during our pandemic?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Wow, so much more free time when we aren't consumed with all our favorite sports daily. What are you doing, positively or otherwise, to replace all those hours once consumed with sports?

Being 71 and so limited physically as to what I can do, I strain to find anything interesting on TV especially during the day time. In AZ it's too hot to roam around during the day, so I sleep half the day and stay up most of the night. Play a lot of online poker, take walks in the mall with my little dachshund in late afternoon and go to dog park late during the night. Just bought an electric bike for me and my lil' Molly to cruise around on, but will wait till it cools down before getting much use out of it.

Had planned on taking a couple of Caribbean cruises in Aug and Sept, but the Virus has put that on hold for now.

Last edited:

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Working my butt off on a new consulting gig that started right about when the lockdown happened.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have literally run out of projects to do around the house, In the last month, I helped one neighbor drywall and texture his office remodel, I replaced 200+feet of fencing on both sides of my property.

I helped a neighbor a few doors down remove 3+ yards of river rock from his front yard, prep the soil and lay sod..... I'm painting my neighbors 94 Toyota 4runner next week, after that, I'll be bored and playing my guitars 8 hours a day again :p

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I bought a wood fired oven and have been making pizzas in my backyard 7 days a week. Kind of obsessed with it right now

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've been reading and watching horse racing (The Sport of Kings).

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I should also mention I bought a new 16TB NAS to run my Plex server. A wee bit obsessed with Plex right now.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Working on projects around the house. Doing some repairs on the motorhome. Taking the side by side out more. Binging on Netflix, Ozark, all 62 episodes of Breaking Bad, Dead to Me, Schitt's Creek and a few others. Built new drawers for the kitchen and bathrooms (using real wood). Oh, yeah, naps.

Last edited:

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a carpenter by trade plenty of half done projects to do, been working on them. Work hasn't slowed for me enough to finish any of them during this I've been working the whole time when you specialize plenty you can do with stay at home orders unfortunately.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not missing a sport anymore if it comes back great but I know now I dont need any of it

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I did not have to replace sports with anything because I have a life and sports is just a sidebar... though as a Cardinal fan it often has been a tragedy to rival any of the great Greek composers best works lol

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have literally run out of projects to do around the house, In the last month, I helped one neighbor drywall and texture his office remodel, I replaced 200+feet of fencing on both sides of my property.

I helped a neighbor a few doors down remove 3+ yards of river rock from his front yard, prep the soil and lay sod..... I'm painting my neighbors 94 Toyota 4runner next week, after that, I'll be bored and playing my guitars 8 hours a day again :p

Man.. you want to come over and help me lay 2100 sqft of pavers? lol

I been using my time to learn spanish and trying to learn C++. Since I haven’t been going out I saved up some money and played with it in the market. Made a good amount of money and learned a lot.

I know some people are bored but we have to find something to keep our minds busy. It sort of feels like a deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan without the danger and a little more freedom. If you’re not doing patrols, you’re just sitting around playing spades or something. You can only clean your rifles so many times..

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I did not have to replace sports with anything because I have a life and sports is just a sidebar... though as a Cardinal fan it often has been a tragedy to rival any of the great Greek composers best works lol
I have a life too. Or at least I thought I did. I watched every DBacks game in person or on TV last year. With the extra innings and travel time on the games I saw in person that was about 600 hours. I watched at leasts 100 hours of the Suns and Coyotes each and about another 100 on the Cardinals as I watched each gave in person or on TV and watched the DVR copy at least once. So that is about 900 hours per year not counting other sports. That calculates our to 37.5 days a year using 24 hours a day. That is over 1 full day of 24 hours of watching sports for every 10 days. And guess what, I don't miss it. Because of all the greed of both sides I will never go back there. I will watch highlights as I see fit. And I will watch whatever playoff games are played by our big 4. But that is it. I am going on 69 and want to spend the rest of my life doing what I want. The sports salaries and owner's greed has made my decision easy for me. Everything is relative.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Working on the house, and working from home.

Back yard looks like the king's garden. Lol.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have a life too. Or at least I thought I did. I watched every DBacks game in person or on TV last year. With the extra innings and travel time on the games I saw in person that was about 600 hours. I watched at leasts 100 hours of the Suns and Coyotes each and about another 100 on the Cardinals as I watched each gave in person or on TV and watched the DVR copy at least once. So that is about 900 hours per year not counting other sports. That calculates our to 37.5 days a year using 24 hours a day. That is over 1 full day of 24 hours of watching sports for every 10 days. And guess what, I don't miss it. Because of all the greed of both sides I will never go back there. I will watch highlights as I see fit. And I will watch whatever playoff games are played by our big 4. But that is it. I am going on 69 and want to spend the rest of my life doing what I want. The sports salaries and owner's greed has made my decision easy for me. Everything is relative.

My brother who is a die hard Falcon fan and I have talked about this recently too. It has become such a business. It has become now a political platform. It has become a revolving door of free agency where it's hard to give loyalty to a group of guys who understandably have to take care of their own and not a franchise all after money. It has become a sport which has constant changing rules. In the end the athletes are not calling you as their confidant when they lose or they citing you personally if they win. I am 52 now and sports are great but it hardly holds my interest as it once did. As one who has been a college professor, and aware of the university as a business, I really no longer care for college sports to the degree I once did. I still think sports are a wonderful fabric of our society, but it has its place which for me is no longer a deciding one. I'm a professional artist which also makes me I guess not the status quo for a accurate social opinion while my brother is a cancer doctor. He will watch his Falcons still and I my Cardinals, our black and red colored bird inspired teams but the interest is no longer personal enough to affect our lives as when we were young, like holding an allegiance to a rock group when you are in high school lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson