Jordan Phillips signed for 3 years

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I probably missed it somewhere but is the entire $30 million guaranteed?

Serious question, I'm not trolling.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
I probably missed it somewhere but is the entire $30 million guaranteed?

Serious question, I'm not trolling.
Its almost unheard of (minus Kirk Cousins) for it all to be guaranteed. Problem is AZ is historically close to the vest about contract details, so i find we see the numbers later than other franchises. I'm interested in the numbers as well

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Rare size. Knows the scheme. Not my first choice, but he seems like he is in his prime and fills a need.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think it’s telling that the Cardinals wanted to sign Phillips over Shelby Harris and Derek Wolfe, who VJ also coached. I cannot imagine either one being much more expensive than Phillips.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s telling that the Cardinals wanted to sign Phillips over Shelby Harris and Derek Wolfe, who VJ also coached. I cannot imagine either one being much more expensive than Phillips.

I heard an interview with Wolfe on Sirius NFL channel and while he sounds intelligent and like a good dude but he has an injury history. He also basically said he prefers playing in a 4-3 instead of a 3-4.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Don't believe that we won't kick the tires on both of those players still. The Cardinals will add another player on the defensive line. Wolfe is the cheaper of the two, but Harris is younger and may not get the market he is hoping for.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brockers is also older and never had a season like Philips just had....plus do you think Brockers chooses the Cardinals over the Ravens?
That’s what trips me out. Just because a guy signed a deal close to what we got a guy for everyone assumes the other guy even wanted to come here

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Could have had Michael Brockers for the same money...interesting to watch their careers from here.

Brockers is also older and never had a season like Philips just had....plus do you think Brockers chooses the Cardinals over the Ravens?

That’s what trips me out. Just because a guy signed a deal close to what we got a guy for everyone assumes the other guy even wanted to come here

Relax...its just an observation. "Could" was probably the wrong word, since I don't know squat about the situation.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gerald McCoy cost $10m over 3 years. Kinda makes this deal look worse.

Also Danny Shelton for $4m per year.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ya, I would agree, to me the devil is in the details... If the $30 million is front loaded with the majority of the guaranteed money in the first year (as a prove it again year) with year two and three being effectively year-to-year optional with minimal dead money, then I LOVE this signing...

If its a straight 10 million per with 24 guaranteed, our exposure and risk become borderline untenable.. In Keim's own words just a few weeks ago, the bust rate of NFL free agents is considerably higher, so overpaying for a very risky DT that has one year of production seems counterintuitive..

Keim has earned the benefit of the doubt. So until the contract details come out, I am going to assume we protected ourselves enough not to be hamstrung, incase he doesn't work out

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gerald McCoy cost $10m over 3 years. Kinda makes this deal look worse.

Also Danny Shelton for $4m per year.
I'd rather have had Vernon Butler (2-$16) and Shelton (2-$8) for a combined $12 million a year, but what do I know. Sure hope I'm wrong.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Kent, has no better access to at the table negotiations then you, me, fans: it's an opinion founded on natural journalistic skepticism.

Yep, 20+ years of being around football 24/7 hasn't given Kent any insight above and beyond your average fan.

You're a gem Guernsey!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, 20+ years of being around football 24/7 hasn't given Kent any insight above and beyond your average fan.

You're a gem Guernsey!

Insight and actually being at the table and knowing what transpired are two different things, and you can go to the diamond exchange with that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Insight and actually being at the table and knowing what transpired are two different things, and you can go to the diamond exchange with that.

If your point is that neither Kent nor any of us is at the actual negotiating table, that's true, but completely irrelevant.

The point is, when players/agents/teams say "player x took less money to go here", its common knowledge that a statement such as that should be taken with a giant grain of salt.

Even better, you speculate on Kent's opinion based on...the fact that he's a journalist? Hilarious.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If your point is that neither Kent nor any of us is at the actual negotiating table, that's true, but completely irrelevant.

The point is, when players/agents/teams say "player x took less money to go here", its common knowledge that a statement such as that should be taken with a giant grain of salt.

Even better, you speculate on Kent's opinion based on...the fact that he's a journalist? Hilarious.

I have no issue with being skeptical and my professional career includes extensive dealings with journalists.

Try harder!