Jordan Phillips signed for 3 years

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Interesting...

Wasn't my first choice but if the money is right...this could be a good move.

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
Before the contract value is announced what are people hoping for?

or what is the price that you would become unhappy with the deal?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really hope they aren’t paying for last years fluky sack total! I think he’s a rotational level player

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just looked Jordan Phillips numbers up.
He had 6 sacks in 2019 which led the NFL from the DT position. Aaron Donald was 2nd with 5 sacks.
The article was from November 7th so he was in first place at that time. Idk how he finished?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this is a great signing. We need young talent on the D-Line, and that what phillips is. 27 years old....10 sacks last year at 341 pounds.

He can push the pocket. You add someone like Derrick Brown in the draft and our D-Line is WORLDS better than last year.

I would hope its 6-8 million per year. If Brockers got 10, Phillips probably will get slightly lower.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Breakdown
Jordan Phillips inked a one-year and “prove it” type of deal with the Bills for the 2019. He certainly did prove it.

Phillips ended up taking some starting time from the Bills’ first-round pick in 2019, Ed Oliver. Teams don’t put their first rounder in the back seat unless there’s big reason to and Phillips earned that. His 9.5 sacks led the Bills and was third in the NFL amongst defensive tackles, a position not exactly known for its sack-getters.

Phillips also suggested at locker cleanout day that he’s a top-three defensive tackle in the NFL and wants to be paid like it. It’s doubtful he does hit that near $17 million dollars a season range, but if it does creep into the double-digits, that could price the Bills out of it. On the other hand, Spotrac suggests Phillips’ value is $6 million per season. That’s a deal the Bills could certainly do.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/09/buffalo-bills-free-agent-profile-jordan-phillips/

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think this is a great signing. We need young talent on the D-Line, and that what phillips is. 27 years old....10 sacks last year at 341 pounds.

He can push the pocket. You add someone like Derrick Brown in the draft and our D-Line is WORLDS better than last year.

I would hope its 6-8 million per year. If Brockers got 10, Phillips probably will get slightly lower.
Doubt they draft Derrick Brown now after signing Phillips, plus we still have Corey Peters. Peters could slide over to DE though. I've wanted Brown all along but Simmons sounds good also. Simmons & Brown will be gone before #8 imo.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Why the Broncos should attempt to sign him
Even before you consider the fact that Shelby Harris and Derek Wolfe are free agents, there’s a noticeable lack of girth along Fangio’s line compared to his time with the Bears. In fact, if Phillips entered camp at his listed weight, he’d be the heaviest player on the roster.

It goes beyond that though. While his long speed isn’t going to blow you away, he has some noticeable short area quickness that Buffalo used to attack gaps away from where he lined up pre-snap a number of times. He also has long arms and the strength to control his opponents.

In the games I looked through, Leslie Frazier used Phillips all over the Bills’ interior line. He’s capable of playing snaps from the 5T all the way down to nose. Most of the snaps came as a 1 or 3 technique in Buffalo’s nickel packages.

When tasked with shooting a gap, he shows a solid burst off the snap. He’s effective at drawing two blockers and could be an effective gap plugger for the Broncos’ defense. There are instances where he shows the wherewithal to use his height to his advantage with a swim move. He also has some power in his game and isn’t afraid to use his size to his advantage with a bull rush. There are times he uses his long arms to keep himself clean as a rusher, which is promising.

Why the Broncos shouldn’t attempt to sign him
Eight of Phillips’ 9.5 sacks in 2019 came against the bottom tier offenses of the league. When your best performances are against teams like the Cincinnatti Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Marcus Mariota Tennessee Titans, it’s fair to receive a little extra scrutiny.

I went into the games I watched expecting Phillips to be a reliable player against double teams more consistently than he was. On his best days he’s solid to good here, such as the Cowboys’ game on Thanksgiving. I also thought he’d do a better job of using his length and burst, but too often he lets an opponent get into his chest. He doesn’t show much as a pass rusher if his first move doesn’t win the day.

Given that he’s coming off a career year as a pass rusher, he’s almost surely going to make more on his 2019 production than what he’ll provide in 2020. Mike Purcell and Zach Kerr are just recent examples of how rotational players aren’t that hard to find, so cost is worth considering.

Final word
Phillips represents a decent scheme fit and versatile lineman for Fangio to play across both his base and nickel formations. He has some tools that you just can’t teach and will enter next season in his athletic prime. There are reasons to believe his best football is ahead of him.

However, I do believe he over-performed in a couple areas last season - most notably as a pass rusher. I think he’s adequate in this regard, but it only takes one team to blow up the market. I wonder if Phillips’ raw stats will sucker a team into grabbing him in hopes of replicating his absurd 2019 sack rate.

If the Broncos can get Jordan Phillips at the kind of salary you typically pay a rotation piece along the defensive line, I like this move. He played 543 defensive snaps last year and logged as much as 71% of the team’s snaps in the Browns game.

Poll
How much should the Broncos’ offer Jordan Phillips?
This poll is closed.

• 3%
    $10+ Million
    (27 votes)

• 56%
    $6-9.9 Million
    (490 votes)

• 29%
    $1-5.9 Million
    (255 votes)

• 12%
    Hard pass.
    (107 votes)
879 votes total

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/2/5/21123198/free-agent-profile-jordan-phillips

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Doubt they draft Derrick Brown now after signing Phillips, plus we still have Corey Peters. Peters could slide over to DE though. I've wanted Brown all along but Simmons sounds good also. Simmons & Brown will be gone before #8 imo.

Is this the end for Corey Peters? Cardinals could save ~4m by cutting him (last year of deal).

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling this might go a lot higher, he played really well last year and the Bills have a huge amount of cap space.

Strange they wouldn't be willing to pay him $6-8 million
Brockers got 10 so you may be right? Having ED Oliver in waiting is why they didn't offer Phillips is the only reason I can think of.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is this the end for Corey Peters? Cardinals could save ~4m by cutting him (last year of deal).
I hope not. Corey Peters can still push his blocker back into the QB. Don't know how much longer he will play though. Love the dude, he's from right here in Louisville. Went to Louisville Central H.S & played at Kentucky.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Our D-Line is SOOOOO thin with talent though. Peters is what 32-33...and in the last year of his deal.

I really like Zach Allen, but he was hurt all last year.

Now we have Phillips, who adds a 27 year old stud.

We need at LEAST 1 other solid D-Lineman before we start to fill in rotational guys. Someone like Snacks Harrison, or Mike Daniels could be a short term solution...but I would prefer to bring in a Derek Brown or Javon Kinlaw.

My choices at #8 in order:

Simmons
Okudah
Brown
Wirfs
Kinlaw
Bechton

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our D-Line is SOOOOO thin with talent though. Peters is what 32-33...and in the last year of his deal.

I really like Zach Allen, but he was hurt all last year.

Now we have Phillips, who adds a 27 year old stud.

We need at LEAST 1 other solid D-Lineman before we start to fill in rotational guys. Someone like Snacks Harrison, or Mike Daniels could be a short term solution...but I would prefer to bring in a Derek Brown or Javon Kinlaw.

My choices at #8 in order:

Simmons
Okudah
Brown
Wirfs
Kinlaw
Bechton
Sounds good. I'm also high on Zach Allen.
I really hope we resign Kerr for depth?
He looked very solid against the run in our last 4-5 games.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good solid player who shows flashes of being dominate from time to time for 10 mill a year. Sounds good to me. Hell we just need bodies up front at this point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson