Our Ceiling

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t like that Houston team. They have no depth and Mike is struggling to get them to try. It is probably the worst defensive team in the league so far.

They remind me of Mike D's last team in LA, they barely made the playoffs. If I had to bet, right now, I would guess Houston won't make it... unless Morey has another trick up his sleeve and brings in some help.

It seems his teams get complacent

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t like that Houston team. They have no depth and Mike is struggling to get them to try. It is probably the worst defensive team in the league so far.

They remind me of Mike D's last team in LA, they barely made the playoffs. If I had to bet, right now, I would guess Houston won't make it... unless Morey has another trick up his sleeve and brings in some help.

The Rockets have traded away a lot of their first round picks. They have their 2020 first round pick but they cannot trade it until draft day because they traded their 2021 first round pick. Clint Capela might be their most valuable trade piece outside of Harden. If Morey can work a miracle with this roster it will be interesting.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I'd really like to see what Ayton can bring and how he gels with the team once he serves out his suspension before trying to figure out this team's ceiling. Though he wasn't perfect, he played pretty well in the season opener against the Kings. With the way Baynes has been playing, they could give us an amazing 1-2 punch at center that not many teams can match. Heck, maybe even give them some minutes together with Baynes assuming the stretch 4 role the way he's been knocking down the 3.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
And I hate to put a damper on things, but we had two separate stretches last season where we went 5-2. As exciting a start as this has been, and as legit as they have looked, 7 games is nothing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My "way too early" Western Conference evaluation.

I will break it down into 4 categories:

Playoff Locks:

Clippers
Lakers
Nuggets

Highly likely a playoff team:

Jazz

Teams that will be in the hunt to the end:

Suns
Blazers
Wolves
Spurs
Rockets
Mavericks
Thunder (but they're also most likely to blow up their team)

Dead teams walking:

Kings
Grizzlies
Pelicans
Warriors

I do not get this respect the wolves are getting. Other than Towns their roster is garbage. They are not making the playoffs.

Pelicans have a far better chance of making the playoffs than the wolves. Ingram has been amazing, Holiday has been in a slump, and Zion is coming back. That team is going to be very good when he does.

Thunder is not making the playoffs - no way.

Your top 4 are making the playoffs.

Suns, Spurs, Mavericks and most likely the Rockets but possibly the Blazers or Pelicans is the way I see the last 4 spots.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I hate to put a damper on things, but we had two separate stretches last season where we went 5-2. As exciting a start as this has been, and as legit as they have looked, 7 games is nothing.

I’m sure the +\- looks different for players. Probably better percentages and efficiency overall, as well as the amount of points were limiting teams to might tell the story. Of course I’m guessing as I haven’t looked at any numbers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m sure the +\- looks different for players. Probably better percentages and efficiency overall, as well as the amount of points were limiting teams to might tell the story. Of course I’m guessing as I haven’t looked at any numbers.

As someone who watched all the games last season, and all the games this season there is no comparison.

This team is far better than last year.

The only way this team falls apart is if Booker or Baynes are out a bunch of games, we can handle the loss of anybody else.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Rockets got off to a bad start last year as well..... they will figure it out. Prolly to the tune of a 3 seed at worst.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rockets got off to a bad start last year as well..... they will figure it out. Prolly to the tune of a 3 seed at worst.

I don't think so.

They are the worst Defensive team in the league, and it's the personnel and D'antoni that don't want to play defense. Paul provided outside shooting and Defense that Westbrook just doesn't, I think they actually made themselves worse with that move.

I mean they will probably make the playoffs, but they will not be a top 4 team IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It’s not just the results, but the way they are getting there. They have been a top 10 team in both offense and defense thus far and were near bottom of the league in both categories last year.

They also aren’t relying on opponents having horrible shooting days or relying on their own hot shooting. They are winning with constant effort on both sides of the court and with smart play on both sides of the court.

Maybe the team will trend down a little from here, but they are clearly a much better team right now than they were for any stretch last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not the Suns record fans are excited about... it's how they got there.

They have a new coach which has installed a system of play on offense and defense. It's something they can fall back on during tough games.

Also the Suns have added talent this season in Rubio, Baynes, Saric, Kaminsky and keeping Oubre among other moves. This is all while Ayton has only played 1 game and Ty Jerome is out recovering from a sprained ankle.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not the Suns record fans are excited about... it's how they got there.

They have a new coach which has installed a system of play on offense and defense. It's something they can fall back on during tough games.

Also the Suns have added talent this season in Rubio, Baynes, Saric, Kaminsky and keeping Oubre among other moves. This is all while Ayton has only played 1 game and Ty Jerome is out recovering from a sprained ankle.
The Suns never had a stretch last year where they played like this. The two losses are by one point. Good grief, they have only trailed by double-digits for 15 seconds in the entire season and that was in the second quarter of the blowout game against Sacramento. This is different and we all know it.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
I 'd be ecstatic with 35 wins...a couple of mentions for an 8th seed by an overzealous national talking head nationally.
Truthfully, as a doubting, disappointed fan over the last decade, I'd be satisfied with that win total. 35 wins. That's it, you ask?
Yes, with what I believe is trending upward here with the Suns.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I 'd be ecstatic with 35 wins...a couple of mentions for an 8th seed by an overzealous national talking head nationally.
Truthfully, as a doubting, disappointed fan over the last decade, I'd be satisfied with that win total. 35 wins. That's it, you ask?
Yes, with what I believe is trending upward here with the Suns.
Our season would be trending significantly downward though. A good start to the season has to raise the expectations to some extent.

I would have been satisfied with 35 or so wins prior to the start of the season, but they have legitimately looked like one of the best teams in the league through 7 games.

As of now to end with 35 wins they would have to go 30-45 for the rest of the season. Not sure how anyone could be satisfied with that at this point. Especially when you consider that these guys just started playing together and are playing without one of the best players on the team.

OP
OP
C

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Our season would be trending significantly downward though. A good start to the season has to raise the expectations to some extent.

I would have been satisfied with 35 or so wins prior to the start of the season, but they have legitimately looked like one of the best teams in the league through 7 games.

As of now to end with 35 wins they would have to go 30-45 for the rest of the season. Not sure how anyone could be satisfied with that at this point. Especially when you consider that these guys just started playing together and are playing without one of the best players on the team.
Was going to post the same thing. Going 30-45 for the remainder of the season would be very disappointing. I don’t know that I would have been satisfied with a .400 winning percentage at the start of the season...let alone after the start they have had.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Generally, of course judging a team by a seven game stretch in an incomplete indicator.

In the case of the previously pathetic Suns, 7 games is not "nothing". It is something!

A GM who is proving himself. A talented new Head Coach. A balanced roster. Emphasis
on defense. Defense was lacking even during our one shiny spell, SSOL.

It is not just what they've done in the first seven games. It is how they've done it.
Five victories and two 1-point losses. Against some pretty good teams.

You may think a damper is fine in Sac-town. But we in Phoenix-city don't think that way. :)

Unless and until proven otherwise, we have reason to have positive hopes for the first
time in a decade.

That is not to say that they are going to win every game, as previously posted. Or not
make mistakes. No team is perfect.

Our Suns are, for the first time in a long time, well run, balanced and competitive.
That, in itself, sets them apart from last season's team. There is no justification
to try to drag our rooting back to that level.

That's my opinion. Nothing damp about that, Sactown. People who look for the worst
generally miss seeing the best. We already have a poster like that.

C'mon, man, Look on the bright side! There is good reason to.

Go Suns! :suns:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thunder is not making the playoffs - no way.

Your top 4 are making the playoffs.

Suns, Spurs, Mavericks and most likely the Rockets but possibly the Blazers or Pelicans is the way I see the last 4 spots.

You can cross the Pelicans, there is no way that they will make the play-offs with or without Williamson.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can cross the Pelicans, there is no way that they will make the play-offs with or without Williamson.

Until I see Zion lose in the NBA consistently I wouldn't cross them off. I know they're a long shot and his health is also an issue but I wouldn't count them out until we see what they really are. Until Zion debuts, we won't know for certain.

I do believe the Suns can stay ahead of the Pelicans in a playoff race. There is already an advantage in the standings that will likely grow before Zion debuts. I hope that's how Monty is getting the guys to look at the rest of the season, broken up in segments where they need to perform at a certain level to maintain their position. Something like saying they have to win 10 in December, for example, and then when January roles around having a goal set then. This team is young and can't look ahead too far.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I definitely don't think they'll get that high. Their roster is really thin, they're starting Daniel House Jr... Austin Rivers and Ben McClemore are combining for 30+ minutes a game.

I won't be long until Mike D resorts to playing a 7 man rotation and not long after that players will start breaking down.

The Rockets used to be the kings of analytics but recently, in their desperation to get over the top, they've made some head scratching moves.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are greatly improved and teams in the west have changed drastically. The combination makes a playoff spot a very real possibility. Every game so far seems to be more confirmation of that.

Am trying to keep my expectations under control. If we beat Miami and then the Lakers on Tuesday—we’ll then all restraint goes out the window.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are greatly improved and teams in the west have changed drastically. The combination makes a playoff spot a very real possibility. Every game so far seems to be more confirmation of that.

Am trying to keep my expectations under control. If we beat Miami and then the Lakers on Tuesday—we’ll then all restraint goes out the window.

The Lakers are one of those games where I really wish we had both Baynes and Ayton available. I don't like our chances without them but maybe we can get hot and force them to match up to us. As for Miami, refs will have a lot to say about that game. They play a similar style to us and the refs are used to allowing it. And historically, in addition to playing physically, they've always flopped well and they have quick hands. Of course, with Josh Richardson gone and Wade retired they've lost two of their better floppers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson