Welcome Ty Jerome

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
We don't know that yet. Jerome hasn't played a single minute of NBA ball, and he didn't exactly demonstrate in college that he is talented enough to come in and start in the NBA right from day one. As it stands right now, Tyler Johnson is the starting point guard, with a motley crew of question marks backing him up. The only difference from how last season ended is that the motley crew now includes Ty Jerome. What we needed was not yet another addition to the question marks at back-up point guard. We needed an actual starting point guard to put Tyler Johnson on the bench where he belongs.
I think it's funny you actually said those first two sentences considering what you normally post about players, but he showed he's smart has great vision , passing, and spot up shooting not sure what else you'd want to see to say he couldn't play right away, I can easily see him being a starter in the league with his floor being a good backup, he's starting day one way ahead of Melton or okobo since he actually already knows how to play the position

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's funny you actually said those first two sentences considering what you normally post about players, but he showed he's smart has great vision , passing, and spot up shooting not sure what else you'd want to see to say he couldn't play right away, I can easily see him being a starter in the league with his floor being a good backup, he's starting day one way ahead of Melton or okobo since he actually already knows how to play the position

What else we all need to see: The ball handling and athleticism needed to make plays while being defended by more athletic NBA point guards and the athleticism and lateral movement needed to stay with more athletic opposing point guards on defense.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
What else we all need to see: The ball handling and athleticism needed to make plays while being defended by more athletic NBA point guards and the athleticism and lateral movement needed to stay with more athletic opposing point guards on defense.
The athleticism is the only thing he doesn't have, and another 20 pounds wouldn't hurt but he was a good defender in college despite the athleticism I think he'll be fine

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think their goal was to acquire as many spot up shooters as possible (and you can include Saric among the targets there). The problem is that the Suns do not have anyone who can create open shots for them.

That was absolutely their goal, and on paper they added three.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The athleticism is the only thing he doesn't have, and another 20 pounds wouldn't hurt but he was a good defender in college despite the athleticism I think he'll be fine

This isn't college anymore...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love this pick. He was who I wanted at #6 (knowing full well he'd be available later, but the best of non-top 3, IMHO)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And they still have nobody to get them the ball or to create open shots for them, so what's the point?

I highly doubt any of the college PGs coming out this year would be any better....which means free agency or trades are the only way to fix PG.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I highly doubt any of the college PGs coming out this year would be any better....which means free agency or trades are the only way to fix PG.

My point is that if the Suns have no plan in place to acquire someone who can facilitate as needed for the spot-up shooters to be effective, and it's clear they don't, then acquiring the spot-up shooters is pointless and useless.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that if the Suns have no plan in place to acquire someone who can facilitate as needed for the spot-up shooters to be effective, and it's clear they don't, then acquiring the spot-up shooters is pointless and useless.

How can you say the Suns don't have a plan when you don't know?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How can you say the Suns don't have a plan when you don't know?

Because there are no indications they are going to do anything other than have Tyler Johnson start with their motley crew of question marks backing him up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because there are no indications they are going to do anything other than have Tyler Johnson start with their motley crew of question marks backing him up.

Free agency hasn't even started. All we are hearing are media types who seem to be guessing. The Suns threw them for a loop on draft night.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big and strong for his position, mediocre athlete, incredibly gifted passer and shooter as well as handles. Basketball IQ off the charts. Works hard on D but will have some deficiencies due to limited athleticism.

Oh, you thought I was talking about Jerome? No, I was talking about the 2019 rookie of the year.

Just reminds that there are a number of stars who are incredibly skilled players in the league with limited athleticism.

Steph Curry
Luka Doncic
Even James Harden.

I want to see Ty play. He could fail, but he is a different type of prospect than we have had in the past.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Big and strong for his position, mediocre athlete, incredibly gifted passer and shooter as well as handles. Basketball IQ off the charts. Works hard on D but will have some deficiencies due to limited athleticism.

Oh, you thought I was talking about Jerome? No, I was talking about the 2019 rookie of the year.

Just reminds that there are a number of stars who are incredibly skilled players in the league with limited athleticism.

Steph Curry
Luka Doncic
Even James Harden.

I want to see Ty play. He could fail, but he is a different type of prospect than we have had in the past.

In terms of athleticism, Ty Jerome makes Curry, Doncic and Harden look like Shawn Marion.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Steph Curry
Luka Doncic
Even James Harden.

In Harden's defense, his acceleration metrics (start/stop) are beyond elite, some of the best ever measured.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Making moves to create cap space. If you are not going to fill out some kind of plan, why would you need to make cap space?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of athleticism, Ty Jerome makes Curry, Doncic and Harden look like Shawn Marion.

Don't be ridiculous. Shawn Marion could jump out of the gym and no matter how limited Jerome is he doesn't make any of those players look like that.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Based on what numbers? Curry is .1 sec faster in agility and .12 in the 3/4 sprint.
It's about the same same for harden. Doncic didn't test.

The closest combine numbers I could find were from Damian Lillard. .05 sec on the agility test and .06 on the 3/4 sprint.

Not that he's going to end up as good as any of these players, but their lack of athleticism hasn't prevented them from preforming at a high level, so why would it prevent him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Making moves to create cap space. If you are not going to fill out some kind of plan, why would you need to make cap space?

For the same reason cost-cutting moves were made in the past...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what numbers? Curry is .1 sec faster in agility and .12 in the 3/4 sprint.
It's about the same same for harden. Doncic didn't test.

The closest combine numbers I could find were from Damian Lillard. .05 sec on the agility test and .06 on the 3/4 sprint.

Not that he's going to end up as good as any of these players, but their lack of athleticism hasn't prevented them from preforming at a high level, so why would it prevent him.

Nice find. I'm surprised Lillard tested so low. I know he wasn't a highly regarded college player but he's been one of the top PG's for years now. Just by watching him play I wouldn't question his athleticism, unlike the other names mentioned like Curry and Harden where it's a little more obvious that they lack some athleticism.

Damn shame that Portland keeps overachieving. I thought they were on the verge of blowing things up ever since Aldridge left but they keep improving. Cashing in all assets we had for Lillard after they got swept out of the 1st round in 2018 would have worked for both sides, I think. We could have kept the pick that was Ayton but given up the Heat picks, Buck pick, and a pick of our own, giving them 4 1st's as well as Jackson when he still had value. They'll probably blow it up next year when we finally add a PG longterm.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I liken him to a taller Jalen Brunson. Brunson was a steal for DAL last year, so much that they dealt DSJ. He and Brunson were upperclassmen who were mature, knew how to play team basketball and were winners. It’s no surprise PHX went with older guys in draft with the immaturity of guys like Jackson on the roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am really intrigued by Ty Jerome. By all accounts, his bball IQ is off the charts. Size for a position makes up for a lack of athleticism.

When I look at this draft (I was on vacation the last few weeks) I am not so confident about Cam Johnson. He can shoot, but his lack of athleticism is astounding for a wing. Unless his hip surgery is a miracle cure, he will be a bigger Troy Daniels and that is about it.

But Ty Jerome has me really intrigued. At the very worst, he is a 6-5 TJ McConnell. Imagine how much more effective McConnell would be at 6-5.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I am really intrigued by Ty Jerome. By all accounts, his bball IQ is off the charts. Size for a position makes up for a lack of athleticism.

When I look at this draft (I was on vacation the last few weeks) I am not so confident about Cam Johnson. He can shoot, but his lack of athleticism is astounding for a wing. Unless his hip surgery is a miracle cure, he will be a bigger Troy Daniels and that is about it.

But Ty Jerome has me really intrigued. At the very worst, he is a 6-5 TJ McConnell. Imagine how much more effective McConnell would be at 6-5.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He had his hip surgery to get his game to a higher level and just 6 months after the surgery he had by far his best season in college. Also don't think that he is a particularly a terrible athlete, but just lacks some lateral quickness. It will be great for him if he can add a few pounds and get stronger so that he can effectively guard 3s and 4s.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am really eager to watch this kid's floor generalship and see how he positions himself for entry passes to Ayton and others.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr