Welcome Ty Jerome

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is currently the least athletic legitimate starting point guard in the NBA? I guarantee you he is more athletic than Ty Jerome.

Are you saying there are no examples of guys who were not exactly athletic that had great careers?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Are you saying there are no examples of guys who were not exactly athletic that had great careers?

Not in terms of point guards in today's NBA. The game has changed since the days where someone like Andre Miller (who was still more athletic than Jerome) could have a successful NBA career as a starter.

Ironically, the person to whom I most liken Jerome is Steve Blake (who was targeted for our coaching staff), who in the NBA of yesteryear was an okay complimentary starter, but who today would never be more than a back-up.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in terms of point guards in today's NBA. The game has changed since the days where someone like Andre Miller (who was still more athletic than Jerome) could have a successful NBA career as a starter.

Ironically, the person to whom I most liken Jerome is Steve Blake (who was targeted for our coaching staff), who in the NBA of yesteryear was an okay complimentary starter, but who today would never be more than a back-up.

If a guard in today’s game is a good passer and a good shooter he can make a career out of it. Being a star starter is another thing entirely and there are only a handful of those guys in the entire NBA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If a guard in today’s game is a good passer and a good shooter he can make a career out of it. Being a star starter is another thing entirely and there are only a handful of those guys in the entire NBA.

I still waiting for the name of a single legitimate starter (not star, but not starter by default, either) in today's NBA who has done so...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still waiting for the name of a single legitimate starter (not star, but not starter by default, either) in today's NBA who has done so...
Steve Nash (not starting TODAY, but definitely was one of the pioneer's of what you are calling "today's NBA")

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Steve Nash (not starting TODAY, but definitely was one of the pioneer's of what you are calling "today's NBA")

Yes, but that was a decade ago, and Nash had other-worldly court vision, handles and passing ability. By "today's NBA", I literally mean today, with the way the NBA has evolved since players like Steve Blake could be serviceable starters.

And, sorry, Ty Jerome is a lot closer to Steve Blake than Steve Nash.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that was a decade ago, and Nash had other-worldly court vision, handles and passing ability. By "today's NBA", I literally mean today, with the way the NBA has evolved since players like Steve Blake could be serviceable starters.

And, sorry, Ty Jerome is a lot closer to Steve Blake than Steve Nash.

John Stockton was another guy who would be just fine today.

Again, I am not claiming this kid will amount to anything but to judge him before he has a chance to see if he develops is stupid.

There are HOFers that were not lottery picks in the draft that nobody thought were X coming out of the draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Stockton was another guy who would be just fine today.

Again, I am not claiming this kid will amount to anything but to judge him before he has a chance to see if he develops is stupid.

There are HOFers that were not high picks in the draft that nobody thought were X coming out of the draft.

And yet nobody has yet to name a single current NBA starter who has the athletic limitations Jerome has.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You act like they grow on trees. These are generational players. Don’t be daft.

One not necessarily need to be a generational player to be a starter, as long as one has at least average athletic ability. Case in point: Malcolm Brogdon.

Of course, in terms of athleticism, Jerome makes Brogdon look like Jalen Lecque.

My point is that we still don't have a current or potential NBA starting point guard, and that was the one thing above all else that we needed this offseason. Ty Jerome is the most talented point guard we have, but he will never have even the average athleticism required to be a serviceable starter in today's NBA, and I think we can all agree that Jerome is not a "generational player" along the lines of a Nash or Stockton.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One not necessarily need to be a generational player to be a starter, as long as one has at least average athletic ability. Case in point: Malcolm Brogdon.

Of course, in terms of athleticism, Jerome makes Brogdon look like Jalen Lecque.

My point is that we still don't have a current or potential NBA starting point guard, and that was the one thing above all else that we needed this offseason. Ty Jerome is the most talented point guard we have, but he will never have even the average athleticism required to be a serviceable starter in today's NBA, and I think we can all agree that Jerome is not a "generational player" along the lines of a Nash or Stockton.

My point is people are wrong about players in the draft every single year. It’s too early to judge.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My point is people are wrong about players in the draft every single year. It’s too early to judge.

To say it's too early to say Jerome doesn't have the athleticism ever to be a serviceable NBA starter is the equivalent of saying it's too early to say I won't one day grow wings and fly.

Physical limitations are physical limitations, and just because the future hasn't happened yet doesn't mean we have to wait until it happens to prove that the physical limitations will remain.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To say it's too early to say Jerome doesn't have the athleticism ever to be a serviceable NBA starter is the equivalent of saying it's too early to say I won't one day grow wings and fly.

Physical limitations are physical limitations, and just because the future hasn't happened yet doesn't mean we have to wait until it happens to prove that the physical limitations will remain.

Yet we have examples where that didn’t stop players from doing so. It’s going to happen again unless you can predict the future.

If so can you post some lottery numbers!?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Do you actually think before you type? There are many examples of players with similar physical limitations that had great NBA careers. Nobody is arguing with you as to whether the limitations exist, but as to whether or not he will be able to succeed in the NBA in spite of those limitations. How that is somehow the equivalent of you saying "it's too early to say I won't one day grow wings and fly" is completely beyond me. Players with limitations have succeeded before, but I am pretty sure there has never been proof of a human being growing wings and flying...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you actually think before you type? There are many examples of players with similar physical limitations that had great NBA careers. Nobody is arguing with you as to whether the limitations exist, but as to whether or not he will be able to succeed in the NBA in spite of those limitations. How that is somehow the equivalent of you saying "it's too early to say I won't one day grow wings and fly" is completely beyond me. Players with limitations have succeeded before, but I am pretty sure there has never been proof of a human being growing wings and flying...

Not a single player with Jerome's physical limitations has become a serviceable starting point guard into today's NBA. Not one.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not a single player with Jerome's physical limitations has become a serviceable starting point guard into today's NBA. Not one.
I know one who had MORE limitations, namely add height limitation, slow foot speed, not very athletic. Steve Nash was not a combine superstar, if there had been a combine back then. I remember when we drafted him and people were laughing we picked a small, slow, unathletic, WHITE point guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know one who had MORE limitations, namely add height limitation, slow foot speed, not very athletic. Steve Nash was not a combine superstar, if there had been a combine back then. I remember when we drafted him and people were laughing we picked a small, slow, unathletic, WHITE point guard.

The NBA was very different back then, and Nash showed signs in college that he was special, even generational. I remember several mock drafts having him go #4 to the Vancouver Grizzlies that year.

And Jerome has foot speed as slow, if not slower, with less court vision and passing ability.

Don't get me wrong. I like Jerome...as a nice career back-up. As a Steve Blake type, not a Steve Nash type.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And was playing with a bad back in his MVP seasons. If a player has enough skill and smarts they can be successful in the NBA. Jerome's height will help him to offset some of the lack of wingspan and athleticism. The key will be whether or not he has the skills and smarts required for him to succeed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And was playing with a bad back in his MVP seasons. If a player has enough skill and smarts they can be successful in the NBA. Jerome's height will help him to offset some of the lack of wingspan and athleticism. The key will be whether or not he has the skills and smarts required for him to succeed.

Uh...his MVP seasons were 13 and 14 years ago. It is a far different game today.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn’t you know for the first time in existence we have reached a point where history will never repeat itself.

So says Carnac 2.0.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn’t you know for the first time in existence we have reached a point where history will never repeat itself.

So says Carnac 2.0.

I am saying history WILL repeat itself. Look at Jerome's comps and get back to me on this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson