Welcome Ty Jerome

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that both Ty Jerome and Cam Johnson had surgery for hip impingement and torn labrum?

But it wasn’t all smooth sailing.

Jerome overcame a torn labrum in his hip and a misshaped ball socket during his senior year of high school at Iona Prep. The ball socket had to be shaved down.

With this kind of surgery, that means the condition is permanent. Don't expect any jump in physical ability or durability here.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have seen guys play PG @1Sun and not be dynamic rim rockers. Even small guys like Maurice Cheeks have played close to the floor, tall guys like Magic Johnson, now Chris Paul is playing the old man game. I am not expecting this kid to develope into a James Harden even. I want a guy who gets 5 or more assists a game and not turn the ball over, while trying to stay between his man and the rim on defense. Just like you, set up the scorers we have. I just think there's more than one way a PG can do that. I know you are trying to tamp down expectations on this kid, but it comes off as you think he's a wasted pick and totally worthless.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have seen guys play PG @1Sun and not be dynamic rim rockers. Even small guys like Maurice Cheeks have played close to the floor, tall guys like Magic Johnson, now Chris Paul is playing the old man game. I am not expecting this kid to develope into a James Harden even. I want a guy who gets 5 or more assists a game and not turn the ball over, while trying to stay between his man and the rim on defense. Just like you, set up the scorers we have. I just think there's more than one way a PG can do that. I know you are trying to tamp down expectations on this kid, but it comes off as you think he's a wasted pick and totally worthless.

No, I think Jerome is an ideal back-up combo guard. I just don't think there is any way he can compete in the NBA as a starting point guard, given his physical limitations. Ironically, if he were ever able to develop into a starter, I think he has a better shot at the 2, rather than the 1. Of course, the starting position at the 2 here is very much occupied.

My comparison for Ty Jerome: A taller Frank Johnson.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With this kind of surgery, that means the condition is permanent. Don't expect any jump in physical ability or durability here.

No one gains much physical ability after 23, other than maybe adding muscle, and over the last 4 years in college he only missed like 8 games total.

And no, the surgery is corrective, it removed a condition that he grew up with.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one gains much physical ability after 23, other than maybe adding muscle, and over the last 4 years in college he only missed like 8 games total.

And no, the surgery is corrective, it removed a condition that he grew up with.
Totally disagree with your first assertion. Men can gain strength and physical ability with training for many years after 23. Good grief, I am in my 50's and lifting again and I am stronger now than ever.

All kinds of Olympic sprinters have their best years in their late 20's and even into their early 30's. That might be the most athletic event there is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Totally disagree with your first assertion. Men can gain strength and physical ability with training for many years after 23. Good grief, I am in my 50's and lifting again and I am stronger now than ever.

All kinds of Olympic sprinters have their best years in their late 20's and even into their early 30's. That might be the most athletic event there is.
Yeah the 23 thing is an absurd statement. I’d guess most athletes are at peak around 26-27

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, I think Jerome is an ideal back-up combo guard. I just don't think there is any way he can compete in the NBA as a starting point guard, given his physical limitations. Ironically, if he were ever able to develop into a starter, I think he has a better shot at the 2, rather than the 1. Of course, the starting position at the 2 here is very much occupied.

My comparison for Ty Jerome: A taller Frank Johnson.
Lol
A taller Frank Johnson? Where do you come up with this stuff. He will be 10x the player by the all star break. I understand FJ had a good career and all but TY is pretty dang good. I could see him being the starter more than a reserve

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lol
A taller Frank Johnson? Where do you come up with this stuff. He will be 10x the player by the all star break

I mean the Frank Johnson from the 80s and 90s, not the Frank Johnson from Illinois last decade.

"Fourth Quarter Frank" was a beloved back-up and quality role player on our NBA Finals team, but he never had the athleticism to be more than a quality back-up. He had strong fundamentals and basketball IQ, a great attitude and a good enough outside shot to have a respectable NBA career, just not as a starter. I expect Jerome to have a similar career.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Jerome is the kind of guard I just can't see succeeding in the NBA until it actually happens. He's a complete player in every way but quickness. His lack of a first step was a problem in college and limited him in almost every match up, what will it do to him in the NBA? Here's hoping he learns to use change of speeds and such to cover his lack of quickness. Athleticism in general is overrated but positional quickness isn't.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ty Jerome is the kind of guard I just can't see succeeding in the NBA until it actually happens. He's a complete player in every way but quickness. His lack of a first step was a problem in college and limited him in almost every match up, what will it do to him in the NBA? Here's hoping he learns to use change of speeds and such to cover his lack of quickness. Athleticism in general is overrated but positional quickness isn't.

Which is why I see Frank Johnson in him. I think he can carve out a nice limited role, but nothing more.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Aren't you one of the people that has advocated for going after TJ McConnell? Serious question, what makes Jerome worse than McConnell. I think they have similar physical skills but Jerome's BBIQ and court vision is much higher.

I could be wrong and you aren't one of the people who has discussed going after McConnell but I know a number of people on the board seem to use him as a fallback plan of sorts and bring him up all the time as an inexpensive target.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was a finalist for the Cousy award...that's a top 10 pg in country. Thats pretty damn good esp in ACC where you go to war every night

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that McConnell is quicker and more explosive than Jerome but the latter might become a better shooter while also being bigger.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ty Jerome reminds me of a taller Mark Price. Seems fittingfsince Ayton reminds me of Daugherty.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't you one of the people that has advocated for going after TJ McConnell? Serious question, what makes Jerome worse than McConnell. I think they have similar physical skills but Jerome's BBIQ and court vision is much higher.

I could be wrong and you aren't one of the people who has discussed going after McConnell but I know a number of people on the board seem to use him as a fallback plan of sorts and bring him up all the time as an inexpensive target.

Yeah, you're probably thinking of someone else. I like TJ a lot but I've never thought he was the right target for us. I wish we had a 2nd or 3rd string PG like him, someone who could even start on the rare occasion. But he's a backup, that's all he'll ever be. He's a crowd favorite and I can't see him leaving Philly for the same job with us especially given his relationship there with teammates and fans.

Anyway, it never crossed my mind that TJ would be able to overcome his lack of size or quickness and hang around as a player - I thought he was destined for a coaching spot at a young age. Ty has size on him but otherwise, they are pretty similar. And I'd be satisfied if Ty could follow TJ's career path. Sure, it would be even nicer if he could follow the path Steve Nash walked but I find that very doubtful.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a finalist for the Cousy award...that's a top 10 pg in country. Thats pretty damn good esp in ACC where you go to war every night

He faced off against a quicker guard almost every night in the ACC and he still found a way to be successful. I'm not saying he can't do that again in the NBA but more often than not, slow and less than ideal athleticism is usually a deal breaker at this level.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ty Jerome reminds me of a taller Mark Price. Seems fittingfsince Ayton reminds me of Daugherty.

I like that comparison for Ayton. I've never been big on the Robinson comparison but if he could be like Daughtery without the injury issues that should make for a solid career. I think that's his floor, at least.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably thinking of someone else. I like TJ a lot but I've never thought he was the right target for us. I wish we had a 2nd or 3rd string PG like him, someone who could even start on the rare occasion. But he's a backup, that's all he'll ever be. He's a crowd favorite and I can't see him leaving Philly for the same job with us especially given his relationship there with teammates and fans.

Anyway, it never crossed my mind that TJ would be able to overcome his lack of size or quickness and hang around as a player - I thought he was destined for a coaching spot at a young age. Ty has size on him but otherwise, they are pretty similar. And I'd be satisfied if Ty could follow TJ's career path. Sure, it would be even nicer if he could follow the path Steve Nash walked but I find that very doubtful.

My mistake. I know there are quite a few here enamored with McConnell and I never understood it. I agree with your take on him though, nice backup but that's all he'll be.

I think that's Jerome's floor, at least. A good backup. I think his offense will be fine but it depends on how he looks guarding NBA talent that will really dictate he's ever more than a backup. You can live with a not-so good defender for 15-20 minutes a night but unless a player is like Nash and makes everyone around him noticeably better, the lack of defense is hard to overlook.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He faced off against a quicker guard almost every night in the ACC and he still found a way to be successful. I'm not saying he can't do that again in the NBA but more often than not, slow and less than ideal athleticism is usually a deal breaker at this level.

I like Jerome a lot but I'm not expecting him to be a starter.

He should succeed as a backup point guard and has the ability to play backup shooting guard as well. The problem with less athletic players like Kendall Marshall and Tyler Ennis is that they were not good shooters. Jerome has shooting skills and a low turnover to assist ratio which indicates good decision making so I expect him to succeed.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My mistake. I know there are quite a few here enamored with McConnell and I never understood it. I agree with your take on him though, nice backup but that's all he'll be.

I think that's Jerome's floor, at least. A good backup. I think his offense will be fine but it depends on how he looks guarding NBA talent that will really dictate he's ever more than a backup. You can live with a not-so good defender for 15-20 minutes a night but unless a player is like Nash and makes everyone around him noticeably better, the lack of defense is hard to overlook.

Jerome is a very willing defender, but the physical limitations will be too much for him to overcome defensively at the NBA level...just like with Nash.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah the 23 thing is an absurd statement. I’d guess most athletes are at peak around 26-27

Academic studies done on peak athletic years agree on 26ish as peak for most sports.

It's not universally true though. I think athletes that rely on raw physical power usually are best late 20s early 30s (offensive linemen)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson