Welcome Ty Jerome

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ty Jerome is the kind of guard I just can't see succeeding in the NBA until it actually happens. He's a complete player in every way but quickness. His lack of a first step was a problem in college and limited him in almost every match up, what will it do to him in the NBA? Here's hoping he learns to use change of speeds and such to cover his lack of quickness. Athleticism in general is overrated but positional quickness isn't.
Agree with all this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Aren't you one of the people that has advocated for going after TJ McConnell? Serious question, what makes Jerome worse than McConnell. I think they have similar physical skills but Jerome's BBIQ and court vision is much higher.

I could be wrong and you aren't one of the people who has discussed going after McConnell but I know a number of people on the board seem to use him as a fallback plan of sorts and bring him up all the time as an inexpensive target.
I’m in that camp. And it’s 100% bc McConnell has, you know, proved he can play at this level. Is he great? Nope. But he’s an nba player. Jerome has yet to prove it. I’m hopeful, but not expecting success.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably thinking of someone else. I like TJ a lot but I've never thought he was the right target for us. I wish we had a 2nd or 3rd string PG like him, someone who could even start on the rare occasion. But he's a backup, that's all he'll ever be. He's a crowd favorite and I can't see him leaving Philly for the same job with us especially given his relationship there with teammates and fans.

Anyway, it never crossed my mind that TJ would be able to overcome his lack of size or quickness and hang around as a player - I thought he was destined for a coaching spot at a young age. Ty has size on him but otherwise, they are pretty similar. And I'd be satisfied if Ty could follow TJ's career path. Sure, it would be even nicer if he could follow the path Steve Nash walked but I find that very doubtful.
Again I agree with all this.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not saying every player does not have a weakness. I find it hard to believe how horrible this guy is, when I see highlights, games, and his team won a national championship with him playing. The other four guys had to be the top guys at their positions in college. I am not seeing the best point guard I've ever seen, but not a horrible one like being touted here. I have seen a lot worse by far.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying every player does not have a weakness. I find it hard to believe how horrible this guy is, when I see highlights, games, and his team won a national championship with him playing. The other four guys had to be the top guys at their positions in college. I am not seeing the best point guard I've ever seen, but not a horrible one like being touted here. I have seen a lot worse by far.

Where are you getting horrible from? Maybe one person? Ty was an excellent college point guard despite his lack of quickness. But this has to do with projecting how he'll play when he steps up another level. Players beat the odds now and then but saying the odds are against him is not the same as saying he's horrible.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ty Jerome is an excellent college point guard whose physical limitations will limit what he can do at the NBA level.

In terms of recent examples with similar college success and similar physical limitations that limited NBA success (or prevented it entirely), think Steve Blake, Peyton Siva, Taurean Green, Gerry McNamara and Mateen Cleaves.

I actually think Steve Blake is Ty Jerome's ceiling.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like that comparison for Ayton. I've never been big on the Robinson comparison but if he could be like Daughtery without the injury issues that should make for a solid career. I think that's his floor, at least.
I think Daugherty is probably his ceiling but I'm not super high on Ayton. I would have moved him and the 4 pick and prayed NO would have traded us Zion.
Anyway decided to check in to see what you thought about the draft, keep up the good writing.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Was he added to the staff? I know they were considering him.
Blake, 39,comes to Phoenix after spending the last two seasons working for the Portland Trail Blazers. A 13-year NBA veteran as a player, Blake last played in 2016 and entered the coaching ranks with Portland, first as a coaching intern in 2017-18 then as an on-court assistant in 2018-19 where he helped the team advance to the Western Conference Finals. Blake’s most successful seasons as a player came with Portland in 2005-06 and from 2007-2010 when Williams served as an assistant coach for the Trail Blazers. As Portland’s starting point guard, Blake averaged a career-high 11.0 points in 2008-09 and a career-high 5.1 assists in 2007-08, helping the Trail Blazers improve from 32 wins before he returned in 2007 to 41 wins in 2007-08 then 54 wins and a playoff berth in 2008-09. In addition to playing under Williams as an assistant coach with Portland for the 2007-08 season, Blake was a teammate of Suns General Manager James Jones.

For his career, Blake averaged 6.5 points and 4.0 assists while shooting 38.3% from three-point range in 870 regular season games (347 starts) with Washington, Portland (three tenures), Milwaukee, Denver, the LA Clippers, the Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State and Detroit from 2003-2016. The 6-3 point guard was a member of nine teams to qualify for the playoffs, averaging 4.6 points and 2.5 assists in 53 career postseason games (13 starts).

Following a decorated collegiate career, Blake was the 38th overall pick in the second round of the 2003 NBA Draft. Blake played four seasons at the University of Maryland and guided the Terrapins to their only NCAA Championship as a junior in 2002 after the school made its first Final Four during his sophomore season in 2001. He led the ACC in assists per game in each of his final three seasons, and led the NCAA in total assists in 2002. Blake played in all 138 games during his college career and remains Maryland’s all-time leader in games started (136) and assists (972) with 200 more assists than second place. Born in Hollywood, Florida, Blake completed his high school playing career at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something more on Ty Jerome.

Here is an excerpt from a Duane Rankin article:

"Ty’s tough, he’s a winner," said Auburn coach Bruce Pearl of Jerome. who went for 21 points, nine boards and six assists in leading Virginia past his Tigers in the Final Four.

"Knows how to use his size. Quicker than what you think and not afraid of the moment at all," Pearl said. "Going to be a really good pro."

Jerome sees himself as a point guard, but said he can also play off the ball.

"I think I’m a natural point guard, but I can play both if I had to," Jerome said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...deceptively-good-fit-phoenix-suns/1590331001/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something more on Ty Jerome.

Here is an excerpt from a Duane Rankin article:

"Ty’s tough, he’s a winner," said Auburn coach Bruce Pearl of Jerome. who went for 21 points, nine boards and six assists in leading Virginia past his Tigers in the Final Four.

"Knows how to use his size. Quicker than what you think and not afraid of the moment at all," Pearl said. "Going to be a really good pro."

Jerome sees himself as a point guard, but said he can also play off the ball.

"I think I’m a natural point guard, but I can play both if I had to," Jerome said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...deceptively-good-fit-phoenix-suns/1590331001/
Ty has some of that Dan Majerle swagger and confidence. He is a bit like Jeff Hornacek with his smarts, skills, and athleticism.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty has some of that Dan Majerle swagger and confidence. He is a bit like Jeff Hornacek with his smarts, skills, and athleticism.

I especially like the comparison to Hornacek.

Basketball smarts can not be minimized when so many fabulous athletes fail in the game. He knows how to play the game which helps to limit his athletic deficiencies. Jerome should be a nice team player off the bench. That's pretty good where he was drafted.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bottom line is you always try and upgrade your team. If James Jones projects he would be better than the back up PGs we have now, you make the pick. This while James Jones knows he is bringing in a veteran PG as a starter. That upgrades the PG position twice essentially.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bottom line is you always try and upgrade your team. If James Jones projects he would be better than the back up PGs we have now, you make the pick. This while James Jones knows he is bringing in a veteran PG as a starter. That upgrades the PG position twice essentially.

I am all for that, and I maintain that Ty Jerome can be an effective back-up at both guard spots.

Of course, this all depends on the Suns getting a viable veteran starting point guard. That does NOT mean the likes of Cory Joseph, Terry Rozier or TJ McConnell.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting how high we are on our own players and then when we cut them or trade them, they disappear or are mediocre elsewhere.

IT, PJ Tucker, and the MoBros seem to be the exception.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting how high we are on our own players and then when we cut them or trade them, they disappear or are mediocre elsewhere.

Who are you referring to that we're high on that has been bad once they left? I know Chriss almost vanished but not many were high on him, especially when he was dealt. There have been a number of players who have left and done well. When you need to name that many exceptions I think it's working against your own argument. Bledsoe made and All-Defensive team, Dragic finally became an All-Star, Channing Frye bounced around some but was a highly regarded veteran big. I guess Dudley fits in your category but no one was that high on him either.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I'd say Bledsoe is moderatley successful. Dragic hasn't disappeared, but I do think he peaked with us.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Who are you referring to that we're high on that has been bad once they left? I know Chriss almost vanished but not many were high on him, especially when he was dealt. There have been a number of players who have left and done well. When you need to name that many exceptions I think it's working against your own argument. Bledsoe made and All-Defensive team, Dragic finally became an All-Star, Channing Frye bounced around some but was a highly regarded veteran big. I guess Dudley fits in your category but no one was that high on him either.
Dudley did "trim" down when he left. Why couldn't he have gotten into "shape" for us? Kinda pissed me off when he showed up like a beach ball. The stay puff marshmellow man was skinnier than Dudley. Hell I was skinnier than Dudley which I consider really bad for Dudley!

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am all for that, and I maintain that Ty Jerome can be an effective back-up at both guard spots.

Of course, this all depends on the Suns getting a viable veteran starting point guard. That does NOT mean the likes of Cory Joseph, Terry Rozier or TJ McConnell.
Log on tomorrow 3 PM our time to find out. Could be long day of praise, or wrath, or frustration waiting! :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Dudley did "trim" down when he left. Why couldn't he have gotten into "shape" for us? Kinda pissed me off when he showed up like a beach ball. The stay puff marshmellow man was skinnier than Dudley. Hell I was skinnier than Dudley which I consider really bad for Dudley!

He actually talked about that on his Twitter. Apparently he had some injury that went unrecognized, had to deal with that, and then was told he wasn't gonna play, which affected him as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He was in shape when we signed him. It was the 2nd year he was out of shape, or more of a spherical shape. He was told he wasn't going to play much, if at all though. He actually got into shape before we dealt him. I think he did that for us also. He talked about that on Twitter quite a bit and the trade caught him off guard some. He's a pro so he knew it was a possibility he'd be dealt but he had a history with Igor so he figured he'd see time if kept.

Of course a player shouldn't allow their weight to yo-yo like that. He was talking the other day how he's looking for another bench role on a young team trying to get over the hump, like he was in Brooklyn, Phoenix, and Milwaukee. He helped the Nets and Bucks but he's not a miracle worker so the Suns continued to suck. That does make the Suns look worse though, I think. Dudley helped 2 good young teams get to the playoffs but he couldn't do it here because his role was constantly changing.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He was in shape when we signed him. It was the 2nd year he was out of shape, or more of a spherical shape. He was told he wasn't going to play much, if at all though. He actually got into shape before we dealt him. I think he did that for us also. He talked about that on Twitter quite a bit and the trade caught him off guard some. He's a pro so he knew it was a possibility he'd be dealt but he had a history with Igor so he figured he'd see time if kept.

Of course a player shouldn't allow their weight to yo-yo like that. He was talking the other day how he's looking for another bench role on a young team trying to get over the hump, like he was in Brooklyn, Phoenix, and Milwaukee. He helped the Nets and Bucks but he's not a miracle worker so the Suns continued to suck. That does make the Suns look worse though, I think. Dudley helped 2 good young teams get to the playoffs but he couldn't do it here because his role was constantly changing.
I couldn't help but notice it was mentioned by Dudley himself that he was going to mentor Chriss, and then BOTH he and Chriss show up way out of shape. I remember thinking, Gee thanks Dudley! Me and my kids were joking they were eating at Chino Bandino and Raising Canes all off season.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!