Big Trouble in Little China (remake)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
you've obviously never seen the incredibly true to life classic... OVER THE TOP!
Bull was TEN TIMES the Rock and he was the biggest, baddest trucker alive... next to Lincoln Hawk of course! :)

I HAVE seen Over the Top, and Bull wasn't built like The Rock. The Rock is like Schwarzenegger whle Bull was more like Andre the Giant. :D I don't even think Stallone was as built as the Rock is.

agree with all this. even more so... they're probably going to make Jack more heroic with the Rock, whereas Russel's Burton was basically the anti-Indiana Jones. All hat, no cattle. Having just watched it again, it's pretty awesome how LITTLE Jack does in the movie to save the day. I mean... what other action movie is there that the hero literally knocks himself out RIGHT BEFORE the climax? Jack shooting his gun in the air and the bricks smashing him in the head, forcing him to miss the majority of the major battle in the temple is one of the greatest twists in action history.

seriously... the original is so good. it's basically the anti-action hero movie, but Russel's just spot-on in the entire thing and gets a few action moments to shine. otherwise, he's kind of the biggest moron in the whole movie.

oh... and if the Rock's really gonna do this, he better be willing to wear the Elvis/mullet wig that comes with the role!

That's part of the movie's charm, IMO. Jack Burton is basically all talk, and I have a feeling he knows it, but he's still willing to put it all on the line for Kim Cattrall... er, Dennis Dun.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Ugh I just don't see rock pulling off jack burton the way Russell did. There is an element of cheese to the film and character of which he has none.
Sure is raining cats and dogs out there.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lo Pan: And when I find her, I will marry her...
Wang Chi: Never!
Lo Pan: Ching Dai will be appeased, my curse will be lifted!
Jack Burton: And you can go on to rule the universe from beyond the grave.
Lo Pan: Indeed!
Jack Burton: Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, right?
Wang Chi: Jack, will you...?
Jack Burton: "Jack" what? I'm supposed to buy this s*%t? 2000 years, he can't find one broad to fit the bill? Come on, Dave, you must be doing something seriously wrong!
Lo Pan: There have been others, to be sure. There are always others. But you know, Mr. Burton, the difficulties between men and women. How seldom it works out? Yet we all keep trying, like fools.

Time to break out the ol' blu ray of this. ;)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing this thread title I was going to make a joke about how I can't wait for them to remake some quintessential 80s movie, a total period film that really only works with where culture was then...

Then I remembered they already remade Red Dawn.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing this thread title I was going to make a joke about how I can't wait for them to remake some quintessential 80s movie, a total period film that really only works with where culture was then...

Then I remembered they already remade Red Dawn.

My problem with the remake of Red Dawn is all they basically did was change the enemy. They didn't really adjust the plot line to make it believable that someone could do something like that TODAY. They just sort of changed up the enemy and went with the same premise.

Had they spent sometime doing that and writing a better script that remake could have been awesome.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
My problem with the remake of Red Dawn is all they basically did was change the enemy. They didn't really adjust the plot line to make it believable that someone could do something like that TODAY. They just sort of changed up the enemy and went with the same premise.

Had they spent sometime doing that and writing a better script that remake could have been awesome.

Agree with Phrazbit, some movies just belong to a specific decade. 'Red Dawn' worked because the demonization of Communism was not only at its peak, Russians wanting to nuke our freedom was considered basic understanding. The NRA's membership drive cry of 'THEY want to take your guns away' was beginning to scare people who feel brave only when armed, and legislation was being introduced to make English the National language because of all those Spanish speaking dirty illegals.

Mix together in equal parts, you gotta blockbuster feeding off the paranoia of the time that is believable during about a 5 year window.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this, sadly, is why these stupid remakes keep getting made. Why would you WANT a remake of Red Dawn instead of something new? *Head shake*

It's a mixed bag for me. I love original but some older films don't hold up acting wise, script wise and yet still are great source material. There are very few films I get nostalgic about for those reasons above (there are exceptions). So, to me, seeing a better version doesn't bother me a bit.

The problem I see is the studio just wants to capitalize most of the time on the brand versus actually taking time to do it right. That in turn gives remakes a bad name. Some Bond films for example have remade the same book over and over and some of those were good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
People forget that Shakespeare pretty much didn't write any original material. :) Same with Hitchcock.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's a mixed bag for me. I love original but some older films don't hold up acting wise, script wise and yet still are great source material. There are very few films I get nostalgic about for those reasons above (there are exceptions). So, to me, seeing a better version doesn't bother me a bit.

The problem I see is the studio just wants to capitalize most of the time on the brand versus actually taking time to do it right. That in turn gives remakes a bad name. Some Bond films for example have remade the same book over and over and some of those were good.

There are very few movies I feel could benefit from a remake, and I find modern remakes usually screw it up way more than they make it better.

People forget that Shakespeare pretty much didn't write any original material. :) Same with Hitchcock.

Haha, that's true about Willy Shakes! Still, it's not like everybody had already seen it all before, so I'll debate the comparison ;)

Funny thing is, everyone assumes, with my background, I'd pick Shakespeare in the 'If you could have dinner with' game. I absolutely would never, ever want to speak with him. Why? In modern times, he'd probably be writing musicals or Michael Bay explosion movies. He wasn't about high art; he was all about the dinero :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Watched the original on netflix with the kids last month. Man that movie was pure 80s cheese! I see no reason to remake it.

Yes! I recently watched the original for the first time. Not sure how I missed it as a child of the 80s growing up with HBO. Pretty cringey watching without the nostalgia!

Apparently, as of a year ago they were still talking about a sequel (not a remake).

By August 27, 2018, Seven Bucks Productions' President Hiram Garcia clarified that the film will be a sequel and a continuation of the previous film. The creative minds behind the new film acknowledged that they have no intention of replacing Kurt Russell by re-casting Johnson as Jack Burton, but will make a follow-up movie to the original.[50]

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own this on blurry. Watch it at least once a year.

"It's all in the reflexes..."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looks like they went through with it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’m told the actor playing Lo Pan is Amos from The Expanse.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Looks like they went through with it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I’m told the actor playing Lo Pan is Amos from The Expanse.

Lol I got a chuckle out of that. I think the actor who plays Amos was Jack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson