Big Trouble in Little China (remake)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake

http://www.thewrap.com/dwayne-the-r...big-trouble-in-little-china-remake-exclusive/

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is in negotiations to star in and produce a remake of John Carpenter‘s cult classic “Big Trouble in Little China” that will be written by “X-Men: First Class” scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

A representative for 20th Century Fox did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Johnson is making a deal to play Jack Burton, an all-American trucker who gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in San Francisco’s Chinatown.

Johnson and his 7 Bucks Entertainment producing partners Dany and Hiram Garcia pitched the remake to rights-owner Fox, which released the original film. “Big Trouble in Little China” is one of Johnson’s favorite movies, and Miller and Stentz have already closed a deal to write the script.

The original 1986 starring Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall only grossed $11 million at the domestic box office, but it is revered as a cult classic and a cable TV staple that fans can’t resist watching from when it airs.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man. Loved the original and I am a Rock fan. I think I'll be checking this one out if they make it

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can someone post a list of all the 80's movies remakes to come out in the last few years? Just annoying.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not only will I not go to watch this effing garbage, I may seriously have to picket the GD movie theaters around here. WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU EVER REMAKE THIS? ARGH!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Really? Not to sure about this.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not only will I not go to watch this effing garbage, I may seriously have to picket the GD movie theaters around here. WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU EVER REMAKE THIS? ARGH!

I just came here to read Stout's response. About what I expected LOL

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Original reports were that it would be a sequel. If they brought back Dennis Dun and Kurt Russell, I'd be all over that. But a remake? With the Rock? I know the original is one of the Rock's favorite movies, but come on.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original reports were that it would be a sequel. If they brought back Dennis Dun and Kurt Russell, I'd be all over that. But a remake? With the Rock? I know the original is one of the Rock's favorite movies, but come on.

Agreed. Sometimes it's best just to leave the best alone......

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agreed. Sometimes it's best just to leave the best alone......

lol...ya know, I have been a Kurt Russel fan since "Just call me snaaaaake"..... but come on,...rather it was him, or just the 80's era film industry,.... those movies were poorly acted and pretty cheesy...I enjoyed them, but they were hardly...."The Best"

if they only took the original and inserted the rock for russel,...it would be better...
but with modern effects technology and a few tweaks it could be way better than the original.

I watch BTILC every time it comes on tv,..... and I still will rather they make a remake or not...... but they do have an opportunity here to actually do a remake that can be better than the original.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol...ya know, I have been a Kurt Russel fan since "Just call me snaaaaake"..... but come on,...rather it was him, or just the 80's era film industry,.... those movies were poorly acted and pretty cheesy...I enjoyed them, but they were hardly...."The Best"

if they only took the original and inserted the rock for russel,...it would be better...
but with modern effects technology and a few tweaks it could be way better than the original.

I watch BTILC every time it comes on tv,..... and I still will rather they make a remake or not...... but they do have an opportunity here to actually do a remake that can be better than the original.

But they won't. The original was supposed to be cheesy and was chock full of tongue-in-cheek stuff, that pretty much only Russell and Dunn could pull off (along with Victor Wong and Kim Cattrall). I just can't see the Rock pulling off "...it's all in the reflexes." I'd love to be wrong on this, but I really don't think so. The original is pretty darned campy (intentionally) and I think the Rock would just look silly trying the same stuff.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
But they won't. The original was supposed to be cheesy and was chock full of tongue-in-cheek stuff, that pretty much only Russell and Dunn could pull off (along with Victor Wong and Kim Cattrall). I just can't see the Rock pulling off "...it's all in the reflexes." I'd love to be wrong on this, but I really don't think so. The original is pretty darned campy (intentionally) and I think the Rock would just look silly trying the same stuff.

Do they go that route and make it cheesy? I doubt it. I bet they decide to make it a little more serious and not so tongue and cheek.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched the original on netflix with the kids last month. Man that movie was pure 80s cheese! I see no reason to remake it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they go that route and make it cheesy? I doubt it. I bet they decide to make it a little more serious and not so tongue and cheek.

If so, then it pretty much would be its own movie, which would make it more palatable for me.... although it's hard for me to conceive of a serious BTILC.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If so, then it pretty much would be its own movie, which would make it more palatable for me.... although it's hard for me to conceive of a serious BTILC.

Well, that's what I am hoping for and they just use the same name, and characters but make it more modern and serious. I can dream...

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
lol...ya know, I have been a Kurt Russel fan since "Just call me snaaaaake"..... but come on,...rather it was him, or just the 80's era film industry,.... those movies were poorly acted and pretty cheesy

One of the reasons this film worked was the acting of Russell and Cattrell. Kurt, at the time, was doing serious roles and Kim seemed to be stuck in typecasted bawdy comedies. They both shined when given the opportunity to show their range. Combining over-the-top with playing-it-straight, within the same story and somehow making it believable, takes talent. Remove the quick fire banter of two dominant personalities trying to control a conversation, and the dynamic between the characters changes dramatically.

...I enjoyed them, but they were hardly...."The Best"

Name one action/sci-fi/horror/kung-fu farce that was better. ;)

Having seen only one of Dwayne's thespian efforts, I will have to take your word on his ability to outdo an iconic professional with six decades of experience.

The original's FX and costumes were crap.

To me the success of a farce ('Arsenic and Old Lace', 'The Pink Panther' franchise, 'Wedding Crashers', 'The Hangover', etc.) is not predicated upon the story or its jokes. The best are the ones that gather a cast and crew that displays their enjoyment of the project, so much so, it is infectious to the audience. The original 'Big Trouble In Little China' nailed it, and honestly can't see how a remake can surpass the part everyone got right.

On a personal note, watching the original movie always reminds me of a lost childhood friend. For years after this flick, everytime we would see each other, one of us would try to interject the line "This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang."

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Russel did have a certain type of comedy he did very well...and I agree Duane Johnson cannot pull off that type of comedy.
The Rock however is very good at comedy in his own right....the writers are going to have to recognize the strengths of their cast and write accordingly. You wouldn't write a script for Eddie Murphy if you were working with Ben Stiller...
As Shaggy mentioned,...a remake,...but an entirely new effort...that is what I hope to see.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
One of the reasons this film worked was the acting of Russell and Cattrell. Kurt, at the time, was doing serious roles and Kim seemed to be stuck in typecasted bawdy comedies. They both shined when given the opportunity to show their range. Combining over-the-top with playing-it-straight, within the same story and somehow making it believable, takes talent. Remove the quick fire banter of two dominant personalities trying to control a conversation, and the dynamic between the characters changes dramatically.

Kurt and Kim did work well together....neither however ,.. are what I consider "Top Shelf" actors...does not change the fact that Snake Plissken and Lassie are two of my all time favorite characters.

Name one action/sci-fi/horror/kung-fu farce that was better. ;)

..... hmmmm,...... The Golden Child?? Kind of a limited category when you add in all the genres,lol

Having seen only one of Dwayne's thespian efforts, I will have to take your word on his ability to outdo an iconic professional with six decades of experience.

Duane possesses a very similar on screen likeability to what Russel had in his heyday...but he adds to it due to his willingness to do the extreme in ridiculous in order to get the laugh...come on,..."tooth fairy".....plus, being an exe body builder I am a bit partial to a big guy over a smaller guy...I will admit bias there,lol.

The original's FX and costumes were crap.

sliding down a hidden cable with lightening flashing around you was pure FX gold in the 80's,lol

To me the success of a farce ('Arsenic and Old Lace', 'The Pink Panther' franchise, 'Wedding Crashers', 'The Hangover', etc.) is not predicated upon the story or its jokes. The best are the ones that gather a cast and crew that displays their enjoyment of the project, so much so, it is infectious to the audience. The original 'Big Trouble In Little China' nailed it, and honestly can't see how a remake can surpass the part everyone got right.

This I have to agree with....you can tell when an entire cast is enjoying the movie they are making.... Expendables 2 really kinda sucked as a stand alone movie...but seeing all of those long term film icons poking fun at their own, and each others past roles made the movie hilarious for me. I don't know if that type of movie "Magic" can be recreated or if it is a lightening strike kind of thing.

On a personal note, watching the original movie always reminds me of a lost childhood friend. For years after this flick, everytime we would see each other, one of us would try to interject the line "This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang."

and that makes the movie irreplaceable for you...I understand, and I am sorry you lost your friend...it seams it is always the best who go early.

Responses Bolded.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gracie: [on their way to confront Lo Pan] Do you have a gun, I hope?
Jack Burton: I have a knife.
Gracie: A knife? This guy's twelve feet tall!
Jack Burton: Seven. Hey, don't worry, I can handle him.

Gawd, I love this movie!!!!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way the remake comes close to working the way the original did. Sorry.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This. I love the Rock for the type of stuff he does but this? Part of the charm of the original was Kurt Russell and his portrayal of the character. The Rock? Dude doesn't have that kind of acting range. He does action which means they will turn this into a big action spectacle.

No thanks. That hurts too because it's one of my favorites. I would much rather see a direct sequel even with Kurt as old as he is. This is coming from someone who isn't automatically against remakes.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This. I love the Rock for the type of stuff he does but this? Part of the charm of the original was Kurt Russell and his portrayal of the character. The Rock? Dude doesn't have that kind of acting range. He does action which means they will turn this into a big action spectacle.

No thanks. That hurts too because it's one of my favorites. I would much rather see a direct sequel even with Kurt as old as he is. This is coming from someone who isn't automatically against remakes.

We're in agreement, albeit for different reasons. I think The Rock has some acting chops, but it's his LOOK that bothers me for this. Jack Burton was a trucker, not a bodybuilder, I just cannot believe a trucker could look like the Rock. Not impossible, but Kurt Russell made that role, and he wasn't overly musclebound. The Rock can do comedy, but not like Russell.

Egg: It will come out no more!
Jack: What? Huh? WHAT will come out no more??

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're in agreement, albeit for different reasons. I think The Rock has some acting chops, but it's his LOOK that bothers me for this. Jack Burton was a trucker, not a bodybuilder, I just cannot believe a trucker could look like the Rock. Not impossible, but Kurt Russell made that role, and he wasn't overly musclebound. The Rock can do comedy, but not like Russell.

It goes way beyond looks for me. Look how Kurt Russell delivers his lines. That sarcastic tone is something I don't think the Rock can duplicate. That is what I mean by the acting....not that the Rock can't act.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're in agreement, albeit for different reasons. I think The Rock has some acting chops, but it's his LOOK that bothers me for this. Jack Burton was a trucker, not a bodybuilder, I just cannot believe a trucker could look like the Rock.

you've obviously never seen the incredibly true to life classic... OVER THE TOP!
Bull was TEN TIMES the Rock and he was the biggest, baddest trucker alive... next to Lincoln Hawk of course! :)

Not impossible, but Kurt Russell made that role, and he wasn't overly musclebound. The Rock can do comedy, but not like Russell.

agree with all this. even more so... they're probably going to make Jack more heroic with the Rock, whereas Russel's Burton was basically the anti-Indiana Jones. All hat, no cattle. Having just watched it again, it's pretty awesome how LITTLE Jack does in the movie to save the day. I mean... what other action movie is there that the hero literally knocks himself out RIGHT BEFORE the climax? Jack shooting his gun in the air and the bricks smashing him in the head, forcing him to miss the majority of the major battle in the temple is one of the greatest twists in action history.

seriously... the original is so good. it's basically the anti-action hero movie, but Russel's just spot-on in the entire thing and gets a few action moments to shine. otherwise, he's kind of the biggest moron in the whole movie.

oh... and if the Rock's really gonna do this, he better be willing to wear the Elvis/mullet wig that comes with the role!