Sarkisian will not be Cards OC

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kubiak is still under contract with the Broncos. I read that Elway would let him go if he has a good opportunity. Not sure what type of position he really wants.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You are right Ghandi.

The OC will be tough to fill because you need someone who has extensive NFL experience to help "mesh" KK's offense but will not be calling the plays or in charge of the offense.

It will be a tough sell but maybe someone who is looking for redemption.

I still think McAdoo is a solid hire for this role (and he has HC experience in NFL).

Some other names - John DeFilippo, Jim Bob Cooter, Marty Morhinwig, etc.

Again, we can't think of these guys as OC's...they are offensive minded coaches that will assist KK in creating the NFL version of the offense. KK will call the plays.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadoro‏Verified account@Gambo987
To take it a step further - contrary to reports - Steve Sarkisian was never offered the Offensive Coordinator position with the Arizona Cardinals.
Which one is correct?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Todd Monken may be another name to watch if he doesn't get an OC job.

Has HC experience as Miss St.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
guess russini is more reliable
I don't think it matters which is more reliable, what matters more is who is their source and are they being truthful. Could also have to deal with semantics of what constitutes an offer. The Cards could have told him their plans for using an OC and if that was acceptable to him. He could have said no to that before their was officially an offer on the table. We'll never really know how it went down and will probably be forgotten in a short amount of time.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it matters which is more reliable, what matters more is who is their source and are they being truthful. Could also have to deal with semantics of what constitutes an offer. The Cards could have told him their plans for using an OC and if that was acceptable to him. He could have said no to that before their was officially an offer on the table. We'll never really know how it went down and will probably be forgotten in a short amount of time.
i think some people pretend to have a source even when they dont, just because they want to say something and not missing the train

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are right Ghandi.

The OC will be tough to fill because you need someone who has extensive NFL experience to help "mesh" KK's offense but will not be calling the plays or in charge of the offense.

I still think McAdoo is a solid hire for this role (and he has HC experience in NFL).

Some other names - John DeFilippo, Jim Bob Cooter, Marty Morhinwig, etc.

Again, we can't think of these guys as OC's...they are offensive minded coaches that will assist KK in creating the NFL version of the offense. KK will call the plays.

You are absolutely right on the first point, and good call on DeFilippo. I doubt he is suddenly considered completely incapable because of one bad season.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously the job description for the ARI offensive coordinator will be different from the traditional role since KK will be fully involved in play design and play calling.

Which leaves us with the remaining responsibilities of the OC, including but not limited to bringing in the right staff to teach fundamental techniques.

This would suggest that the new OC be more of a hands-on technique guy than a strategic mastermind. (Note: while KK says he'd like to have someone he can bounce ideas off of, I doubt this would be that high a priority).

With that in mind, whom do you think would make the most sense to be our OC.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What other H.C. called their own plays besides Andy Reid. McCarthy did, right? Who else? Is it that uncommon?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What other H.C. called their own plays besides Andy Reid. McCarthy did, right? Who else? Is it that uncommon?
Some do, some don't.

The point is that the job description of the OC may change depending who the HC is and how he wants to handle his job

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Fairly certain Sean Payton does. I would say that the same thing happens with D HCs as well. Ryan's called the plays on D.

How much does bellicheat call plays for both sides of the ball.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

The majority of playoff teams this year...Payton, Nagy, McVay, Reid, Reich, O'Brien, and Pederson. (7/12)

9/12 had offensive guys as HC (Patriots, Ravens, and Seattle do not).

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's quite a few HC's calling their own plays; therefore, seems to me, that it shouldn't be that big of a deal to find good (hopefully) OC's that are willing to not do the play calling.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Give me an all in approach. Aggressive and offensive. That's what I would want.

McAdoo
Monken
DeFillippio

Lets go all in on the passing attack.

Last for me would be Haley. I still love that guy for some reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good. not a fan of the person or play caller. The furthest thing from a "leader of men" which was one of the qualifications Kingsbury said he was looking in the position.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It looks good on a resume, I guess. Just like Harold Goodwin can always say he was the offensive coordinator for the Cardinals, 2013-17 (or whatever it was). Cardinals fans know that BA was the playcaller.

You are right Ghandi.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson