Ayton's Development at the Quarter Mark of 2018-2019 Season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You wouldn't put much stock into DFG% against? It is one of the most clear cut stats to determine on ball defense that there is. This is not suggesting that he is good in every aspect of defense, but in one on one he is pretty good.
But as the anchor of the defense, which he said Igor named him as, he’s responsible for so much more than man defense. And stats are stats, they tell part of the story. But, as has always been the argument against Slin, if you don’t watch the game you don’t see what actually happens. Most fans who have watched games readily admit that Ayton has not been an effective rim protector. He’s learning in that regard, but it remains a distinct weakness.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
But as the anchor of the defense, which he said Igor named him as, he’s responsible for so much more than man defense. And stats are stats, they tell part of the story. But, as has always been the argument against Slin, if you don’t watch the game you don’t see what actually happens. Most fans who have watched games readily admit that Ayton has not been an effective rim protector. He’s learning in that regard, but it remains a distinct weakness.
You just echoed exactly what I said. He is a pretty good one on one defender (which that stat suggests), but doesn't mean that he doesn't have weaknesses in other areas of defense.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's his steals and blocks that people are pointing to. Both are really low for a center, but that is how he was in college as well.

Where team defense becomes evident is defensive + / -

Ayton ranks 53 out of all eligible centers

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/9

Whole team is awful there though. Josh Jackson 70th out of small forwards. TJ Warren 77th out of small forwards, Devin Booker 84th out of SGs

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's his steals and blocks that people are pointing to. Both are really low for a center, but that is how he was in college as well.

Where team defense becomes evident is defensive + / -

Ayton ranks 53 out of all eligible centers

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/9

Whole team is awful there though. Josh Jackson 70th out of small forwards. TJ Warren 77th out of small forwards, Devin Booker 84th out of SGs
This is going to change as the defensive effectiveness of the entire team improves.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His + / - will. I am not sure he will ever be an elite shot blocker. He hasn't shown it to date.

But honestly if we wanted that then we should have just draft Mo Bama

Ayton is elite offensive upside with moderate defensive upside.

OP
OP
Sunstroke

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Just a question hypothetically of course..As Sun's fans, would you rather have Townes in his current development stage as a big or are Suns fans okay with Ayton's developement thru almost a third of this season? Personally, I'm willing to wait on Ayton's development. Too much upside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a question hypothetically of course..As Sun's fans, would you rather have Townes in his current development stage as a big or are Suns fans okay with Ayton's developement thru almost a third of this season? Personally, I'm willing to wait on Ayton's development. Too much upside.
Ayton. No question.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is Towns 4th season, and he was 20 when he made his debut--and while Ayton isn't statistically up to Towns level, he's close and could be at that level by his 2nd season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Oh there is no question that I would rather have Ayton. Towns, in my opinion, if Ayton's floor. I'd argue that as soft as Ayton is right now, Towns is still softer. Honestly, outside of Anthony Davis and maybe Jokic, there isn't a Center in the league I'd rather have than Ayton.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Ayton, by a landslide. He's not that far behind Towns already, and Towns had a three-year head start. Barring injury, Ayton should overtake Towns by 2021-22 at the latest.

(Edit: LOL, look at the consensus on this!)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton is at 15 and 10 with the worst PG play in the NBA.

It's a testament to his skill level that he is averaging a double double in these conditions at his age.

My bet is a decent passer and he is already putting up KAT numbers

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, even with whatever warts everyone wants to see on Ayton just 30 games into his rookie season, he's still probably pretty close to already being a top 5 center in the league. And there is almost no way he doesn't continue to get better, barring injury or some kind of personality defect that doesn't seem apparent.

There has been a LOT of ridiculous overreaction to Ayton's imperfections or areas that need improvement so early in his rookie season. I'm not necessarily saying on this board, but elsewhere... and that can seep into some of the opinions expressed here when people are frustrated with the team's woes. But anyone taking a reasonable view will recognize that Ayton has a ton of upside, and barring the unforeseen, still has a very great chance of being the best player in this draft class with sufficient time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton, for sure. Like others have said already, Ayton is further along based on age. Wasn't that trade floated before the draft, Towns for the #1 pick? I know that Minnesota had a lot of problems all offseason and there was a chance they'd deal Towns to keep Butler. Butler didn't ask out yet but he was unhappy and everyone knew it. I don't think it was more than hypothesized by sports fans rather than a legit trade discussed but I remember that around 80-90% of posters here preferred Ayton at that point and we didn't fully know how he'd look at that point. Now that we've seen glimpses of who he can be as well as who he is now and I'd be surprised if anyone would want to do that deal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is at 15 and 10 with the worst PG play in the NBA.

It's a testament to his skill level that he is averaging a double double in these conditions at his age.

My bet is a decent passer and he is already putting up KAT numbers
Ayton is better than those (his own) numbers at the moment. His defense is improving almost by the game. He is starting to find his rhythm. His PER is 20 and climbing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It is so good to read the positive reactions to Ayton at this point.

In addition to everything mentioned, I don't know the IQ level (personal and basketball) of the other Centers in the league, but DeAndre appears to be among the highest.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton, no doubt in my mind. The upside is too high. Still needs to show consistent dog in him, but at this point, Towns is proving he DOESN'T have that in him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton because as frustrated as I might seem I’m still high on his potential and with him wanting to learn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson