Ayton's Development at the Quarter Mark of 2018-2019 Season

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Curious as to what the forum thinks thus far in Deandre Ayton's performance over all at the quarter mark of this season. I see the talent, athleticism, great footwork, just don't see the intensity needed to be a force in the paint (yet). I know he's a pup but I would love to see more aggressive play from Ayton.

I'm slightly disappointed in his overall play this season but I'm still glad the Suns selected him.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only one four letter word that comes to mind....I hope it's not the same at the end of the year

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His numbers say he’s a smashing success (other than blocks), the eye test says he should be so much more. I hope it’s a case of those of us that know basketball just see the brimming talent and it’s just a matter of him tapping into it fully eventually.

My biggest concern is that he’s Benoit Benjamin. Size, talent, numbers but seemingly little impact on the game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think he is right around where I thought he would be. I was expecting more aggressive play, but offensively he is doing about what I thought he would. Just needs to find another gear defensively.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In response, 'sorry to beat a dead horse, but I don't think we'll be able to truly evaluate Ayton until he is not forced to start his set on offense out at the 3 point line and until we have a skilled starting Point Guard to feed him.

And hopefully, a big man coach to help him on defense without fouling, on offensive rebounding and on blocking (the lowest of all the priorities).

If that sounds like a lot, hey, it is the NBA. All of that support for a rookie sensation should be routine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man that article seems to support all my fears. This paragraph just makes me want to barf:

“Ayton’s various failings coalesce into one broader illustrative statistic: When he defends an attempt within 6 feet of the hoop, opponents are shooting 65.5 percent, the highest for any player who’s faced at least 100 such shots. (Second and third from the bottom, respectively, are Nemanja Bjelica and Enes Kanter, who don’t quite serve as role models for aspiring rim protectors.) Carter and Jaren Jackson Jr. rank fourth and seventh, respectively, with allowed field goal percentages hovering around 50 percent.”

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
On offense, he is more skilled and efficient than I expected. He has nice low post game, great hands, good jumper, and passes the ball very well. He is smarter than I thought he would be. His basketball IQ is outstanding. He is more passive than I thought he would be on offense.

On defense, he is every bit as passive and as bad as I thought he would be, though I thought he would be more foul prone, and that he would do a lot more stupid things.

On a scale from one to ten, I expected him to be a six offensively and a 2 defensively. I'd say he is about an 8 offensively, and about a 3 defensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On offense, he is more skilled and efficient than I expected. He has nice low post game, great hands, good jumper, and passes the ball very well. He is smarter than I thought he would be. His basketball IQ is outstanding. He is more passive than I thought he would be on offense.

On defense, he is every bit as passive and as bad as I thought he would be, though I thought he would be more foul prone, and that he would do a lot more stupid things.

On a scale from one to ten, I expected him to be a six offensively and a 2 defensively. I'd say he is about an 8 offensively, and about a 3 defensively.
I think that 3 is extremely generous. Did you read above article? It looks closer to 0.5 to negative.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

'Sounds like Devin. Except Book is a 9 and a 2. :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think that 3 is extremely generous. Did you read above article? It looks closer to 0.5 to negative.

I did not read the article. I am guessing he is one of the worst, using whatever statistic they are looking at.

To me, he gets one for one on one defense, he gets another one for not doing stupid stuff (like Chriss and Jackson, for example), and he gets one for rebounding. You may disagree, but I consider rebounding to be a part of defense.
Bottom line is that he sucks defensively, but he could be worse (especially in one on one situations), and he could be doing stupid stuff.

I've said this many times, but some people had unrealistic expectations. People proclaimed him to be a David Robinson, and dismissed obvious issues with his drive and defense, proclaiming that he has the body of a Greek God, and he will be a good defender when he starts playing his natural position. Anyone who had one ounce of objectivity is not surprised by his lack of drive and defense. He never had any drive, aggression, or defense. Not in high school, not in college. He wasn't magically going to get aggressive, find his drive, and start playing defense the day he stepped onto an NBA court.

OP
OP
Sunstroke

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
In response, 'sorry to beat a dead horse, but I don't think we'll be able to truly evaluate Ayton until he is not forced to start his set on offense out at the 3 point line and until we have a skilled starting Point Guard to feed him.

And hopefully, a big man coach to help him on defense without fouling, on offensive rebounding and on blocking (the lowest of all the priorities).

If that sounds like a lot, hey, it is the NBA. All of that support for a rookie sensation should be routine.

This is a great post and I've been wondering this since game #1 but didn't want to trash Koko's offense. If Ayton has to constantly set a pick at the arc, then fight or sprint his way toward the hoop and then rush back on defense after a no talent shoots a 3, no wonder the kid seems out of position. IMO opinion Ayton needs to set up low in the post and the Suns need to slow the damn game down so he can go one on one in the paint and if doubled, hit the open shooter which Deandre has shown to be an excellent passer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only one four letter word that comes to mind....I hope it's not the same at the end of the year
I was thinking Olowakandi but Ayton rebounds

Good lord... he's having the best season for a center his age ever.

I swear, you'd think a franchise who'd endured being this terrible would have more than a few weeks of patience to let their (already really good) center develop.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good lord... he's having the best season for a center his age ever.

I swear, you'd think a franchise who'd endured being this terrible would have more than a few weeks of patience to let their (already really good) center develop.
I love you guys that ignore defense.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Man that article seems to support all my fears. This paragraph just makes me want to barf:

“Ayton’s various failings coalesce into one broader illustrative statistic: When he defends an attempt within 6 feet of the hoop, opponents are shooting 65.5 percent, the highest for any player who’s faced at least 100 such shots. (Second and third from the bottom, respectively, are Nemanja Bjelica and Enes Kanter, who don’t quite serve as role models for aspiring rim protectors.) Carter and Jaren Jackson Jr. rank fourth and seventh, respectively, with allowed field goal percentages hovering around 50 percent.”
My hope is that Ayton reads this and gets pissed off.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I love you guys that ignore defense.

He is NOT a defender. He never was. That said, you can't expect a young rookie to be as good as Ayton is offensively and then expect him to be a great defender too. 19 and 20 year old rookies who are seven feet tall usually suck. They are not very good for years. Ayton is literally one quarter of the way through his rookie season after playing just one year in college. He will get better. He will never be a defensive stopper, but he will get better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is NOT a defender. He never was. That said, you can't expect a young rookie to be as good as Ayton is offensively and then expect him to be a great defender too. 19 and 20 year old rookies who are seven feet tall usually suck. They are not very good for years. Ayton is literally one quarter of the way through his rookie season after playing just one year in college. He will get better. He will never be a defensive stopper, but he will get better.
I hope so. I mean, there’s not many places to go but up defensively for him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ideally yes, but he is currently trending in the wrong direction...on both sides of the ball (as is everyone on the team not named T.J. Warren or Elie Okobo)...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is NOT a defender. He never was. That said, you can't expect a young rookie to be as good as Ayton is offensively and then expect him to be a great defender too.

Can you show me where Ouchie said he expects Ayton to be a great defender already?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least we're not getting Len updates (benched) or Bamba updates (sucks) from one of our resident trolls.