A Look Ahead (2019 Season)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not writing this season off, but most experts don't see the Cardinals as a Playoff team this year. So this is what I think the team must do in the next offseason (Draft/FA) in order to become a Playoff team.
Offense:
1. OT and an OG to replace Iupati and Smith. It is possible that Iupati will come back for another year, but even if he does, we'll still need an eventual replacement. And it's possible Cunningham could replace Smith, but that's a long shot.
2. WR, since Larry will probably retire.

Defense:
1. DE as Golden is a question mark, and depth is needed at the position.
2. DT, since it doesn't look like Robert Nkemdiche is starting material (hope I'm wrong).
3. LB/MLB in order to upgrade positions.

Injuries aside, if we add quality players to fill the above 'wish' list, our future will be bright. JMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d draft a WR, probably 2, but I’d go all defense outside of that. Would sign a RT in FA.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great thread, Garth!

Offense:
1. OT and an OG to replace Iupati and Smith. It is possible that Iupati will come back for another year, but even if he does, we'll still need an eventual replacement. And it's possible Cunningham could replace Smith, but that's a long shot.

Yes, I would like that too. There is supposed to be some very good offensive tackles in next years draft, but I don’t know about guards. Maybe they can sign one in free agency, or maybe some of their young guys will step up.

2. WR, since Larry will probably retire.

Yes, but do you think we should wait and see with Christian Kirk and Chad Williams? I thought they stepped up in the last game. Obviously, they would still need depth, but I think that’s easier to find than the primary weapons.

Defense:
1. DE as Golden is a question mark, and depth is needed at the position.

I honestly don’t think that can wait, Garth. Right now, Chandler Jones is obviously a monster, but behind him I don’t see anything good. Obviously, Markus Golden could be that guy, but I simply can’t figure out if he will be ready for week one, since he is still on the PUP (if they don’t activate him before the season starts, the rule is that he will have to stay on the list for at least six weeks), and even if they do, I don’t think you can trust what shape he will return in. He has been out for a very long time with no training.

2. DT, since it doesn't look like Robert Nkemdiche is starting material (hope I'm wrong).

I think this might be another thing where we should wait and see. Maybe Nkemdiche steps up bigtime and becomes what we all dreamt of. Not that I think he will, but stranger things have happened. Also, I really believe they have something in Olsen Pierre, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he supplanted Nkemdiche some time during the season, if Nkemdiche continues to be invisible. I also really like Corey Peters, so maybe Peters and Pierre will be the next starting duo with Rodney Gunter backing them up.

3. LB/MLB in order to upgrade positions.

Absolutely yes! I mean, most often defenses only deploys two linebackers since that is the lineup in a nickel- or dime defense, and the goal for every defense is to get in those packages as fast as possible, but I am not sold on either Bucannon or Reddick as two great linebackers that every offense fear. Maybe Al Holcomb can coach them up like he coached up some fantastic linebackers in Carolina, but right now I don’t feel comfortable with those two as basically the only good three down-linebackers on the team, at least until Gerald Hodges proves in more than a preseason game that he can play.

Garth, I would go after another tight end as well. Again, let’s see what Seals-Jones (and maybe even Gabe Holmes) can do, but right now I think the unit looks somewhat average. A stud tight end would take some of the pressure off of the young wide receivers as well.

I would also think about an upgrade at safety, provided that none of the undrafted free agents proves otherwise. Tre Boston is only on a one year deal, and even if they brought him back, I would not like the depth at that position. It’s also worth noting in that regard, I think, that Bethea is no spring chicken anymore.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I’d draft a WR, probably 2, but I’d go all defense outside of that. Would sign a RT in FA.

I believe McCoy has a short contract and sort of comes down to us keeping this style of offense. Granted, if Rosen later or Bradford now is the QB, this offense will be guided by a QB who is very accurate on intermediate routes and quick passes, meaning a good QB under this system does not need the traditional big play/ talent threat going down field which is where one usually has to find the WR in the first round. I think it starts up front in protecting the QB who is then able to make the WRs look better than they are due to the nature of the offense because they are accurate in prolonged drives. Possibly drafting OL to allow the QB to be accurate takes precedent over a stud WR which can take over down field as well as intermediate. If we stay predominantly in this run first dink and dunk offense, I would go OL or TE for the offense and find another WR in the second round again... I think our current defense up front is a little light weight at the moment and going defense would also make sense too

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OT with the ability to play either LT or RT. Hump still hasn't played an entire season.

DT because Diche is injury prone thus far and Peters is getting up there in age plus rotating the big boys is necessary these days.

DE for the reasons others have posted plus it's impossible to have too many pass rushers.

LBer will be a need but we need to see how Bucannon and Reddick do this year.

TE because Gresham is at best decent and he is pricy and after him we have a couple of hopes and prayers.

CB, can't ever have enough and while we have some interesting prospects no sure #2 at this point.

What is very cool is that we have a very good QB room and that trumps everything else.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bethea will be 35, cost 5.4 mil, be on his last year, and Boston will be gone. If I read the depth chart correctly, Rudy Ford backs up Baker. FS is wide open.

The good news is that safeties seem to be a bit under valued right now. Kinda strange since teams are going to 3 safeties in dime packages more and more.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Bethea will be 35, cost 5.4 mil, be on his last year, and Boston will be gone. If I read the depth chart correctly, Rudy Ford backs up Baker. FS is wide open.

I’d let Bethea retire and give that $5-6mm to FS Boston if he earns it this year. Ford remains the backup. Then you’d need a SS. Oh wait, he’s playing WOLB so never mind!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m a little surprised to see WR so low on the list. That much confidence in Williams and Kirk? I have hopes, but not confidence.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m a little surprised to see WR so low on the list. That much confidence in Williams and Kirk? I have hopes, but not confidence.
The college system throws so many great athletes to the WR position that you have mid round options every year. That, and if you can't protect Rosen and keep the games close, WRs don't matter. Once the line is set, and you can get after the opposing QB, then we can get Rosen a premier weapon outside.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The college system throws so many great athletes to the WR position that you have mid round options every year. That, and if you can't protect Rosen and keep the games close, WRs don't matter. Once the line is set, and you can get after the opposing QB, then we can get Rosen a premier weapon outside.
This.

I wouldn’t even touch a WR until the 3rd round, regardless if Fitz retires or not.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This.

I wouldn’t even touch a WR until the 3rd round, regardless if Fitz retires or not.

I agree... unless some guy who is just unreal special shows up.
Brady and Rodgers have made outstanding careers throwing to whodat WR's

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Even if they re-sign Boston, they don’t have a lot of depth at safety. Unless someone really steps up this season, obviously. I read somewhere that Jon Gruden is not that high of safety Karl Joseph that the previous regime was. If the Cardinals could trade for him for a reasonable prize I would be all for it. Joseph might not be the best safety but he’s still good, and he is a very fun player to watch.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What if we draft a RB, like Love of Stanford, in round one, and move DJ to WR. Only reason for doing this would be to prolong DJ's career. He would add size to the WR position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson