Bright (Netflix)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set in a world where mystical creatures live side by side with humans. A human cop is forced to work with an Orc to find a weapon everyone is prepared to kill for.

Director: David Ayer
Writer: Max Landis
Stars: Will Smith, Joel Edgerton, Noomi Rapace

Release Date: December 22, 2017

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suicide Squad was pretty meh, but that looked pretty good.

I liked Suicide Squad although it was flawed for sure. This really does look like it could have been released in the theater. I hope it's good. Looks interesting.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I would much rather see the documentary of how they got a green-light from the pitch, "Imagine 'Alien Nation meets Dungeons & Dragons'..."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Do I understand correctly that this is a made for Netflix movie starring Will Smith?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I understand correctly that this is a made for Netflix movie starring Will Smith?

Get used to it. Betting within 5-10 years the ONLY movies that hit the theater will be animated, Marvel, Star Wars, DC and cheap Horror... with whatever is the hottest IP at the time.

Anything original, drama or comedy goes straight to streaming.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would much rather see the documentary of how they got a green-light from the pitch, "Imagine 'Alien Nation meets Dungeons & Dragons'..."
lol... that was my thought as well when I first saw the trailer... fortunately I have history liking both alien nation and D&D...so I'm in

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bright starts today... anybody see it yet?? I am hoping to go to my brothers tonight and watch it

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not had time but the buzz was negative I thought?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I watched Bright last night. It was okay... not fantastic but okay. It felt very much like a pilot or something begging a sequel... but mostly like a pilot.
There were of course some semblences to alien nation... but in this world elves and orcs did not suddenly appear,...humans, elves, and orcs all evolved together.
In the end...it was just a cop show about a guy bonding with his partner and resisting bigotry as they tried to keep a devastating weapon off the streets and out of the hands of dirty cops.
as is expected in modern times the special effects were very good...it was well directed and the writing didnt have any obvious holes in it.
this isnt one where I can get all excited and say y'all just got to see this... but it wasnt terrible and if you have some time it wont hurt to watch it... I enjoyed it but I have a history of being easy to please..
actually my biggest knock on it was...with elves, and orcs, and magic wands, and will smith, and all that...it was just.....normal,... just a cop show...

oh yeah,..
"I guess fairy lives dont matter today"

There were a few moments of social commentary of sorts

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am convinced that critics are simply out of tune with audiences these days. I have seen some of it the past few years but it seems to be getting worse.

See the critics vs audience scores with The Last Jedi. See the critics scores for this movie verses the audiences scores.

Look this wasn’t great but it was entertaining and nowhere near as bad as critics said. My biggest complaint is it felt like they dropped you in the middle of a story already underway and didn’t to a very good job of establishing the world.

Popcorn fun just the same.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am convinced that critics are simply out of tune with audiences these days. I have seen some of it the past few years but it seems to be getting worse.

See the critics vs audience scores with The Last Jedi. See the critics scores for this movie verses the audiences scores.

Look this wasn’t great but it was entertaining and nowhere near as bad as critics said. My biggest complaint is it felt like they dropped you in the middle of a story already underway and didn’t to a very good job of establishing the world.

Popcorn fun just the same.
yeah...other than, "Orcs LITERALLY chose evil 2000 years ago man"

they did drop us right in. Which is why to me it was just a cop flick

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
yeah...other than, "Orcs LITERALLY chose evil 2000 years ago man"

they did drop us right in. Which is why to me it was just a cop flick

We've had 6 LOTR movies and countless books to establish Orc/Elf dynamics as typically written.

Bright is essentially "What if LOTR continued to modern times?"

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
$90 mil? does netflix only make money off of subscriptions?

Yep.

I liked it. Entertaining. Would I watch it again, probably not, but it was pretty decent.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Yep.

I liked it. Entertaining. Would I watch it again, probably not, but it was pretty decent.

The real question from netflix's position is does this content make you want to continue your subscription and will it lead to more subscriptions?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
The real question from netflix's position is does this content make you want to continue your subscription and will it lead to more subscriptions?

Actually, they don't care about ones already subscribed, per se. At least in regards to expensive productions such as this. They figure to retain current subscribers using their ongoing content and services.

What they REALLY care about something like Bright bringing in are free trial people. People who are curious enough about this big tentpole to try out Netflix. They probably have a predicted percentage of people who go into the trial who stay. And whatever those numbers may be, they likely more than offset the numbers of people who don't sign up after a trial or cancel an active membership.

And I'm willing to bet that those numbers and the recurring revenue from their continued subscription MORE than covers the cost of this movie. Especially through the span of a typical membership lifetime.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Actually, they don't care about ones already subscribed, per se. At least in regards to expensive productions such as this. They figure to retain current subscribers using their ongoing content and services.

What they REALLY care about something like Bright bringing in are free trial people. People who are curious enough about this big tentpole to try out Netflix. They probably have a predicted percentage of people who go into the trial who stay. And whatever those numbers may be, they likely more than offset the numbers of people who don't sign up after a trial or cancel an active membership.

And I'm willing to bet that those numbers and the recurring revenue from their continued subscription MORE than covers the cost of this movie. Especially through the span of a typical membership lifetime.

okay, good point.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I would think it would be similar to mailers and infomercials... we used to expect a three percent response rate from a well placed mailer and up to 6% from a well placed infomercial... then you just multiply in your close rate
the cost is likely why it was being teased nearly a year in advance and advertised on tv six months in advance...... they used a spot campaign though. didnt show ads every day,...just one every couple weeks....kept it rare, built up the suspense for people wanting their friends to see it. it was well done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson