LT/RT Veldheer and Humphries discussion

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were discussing this a bit in Harry's thread however the team put out an article on it today so I figured it deserved a thread.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...ive-Line/5f075004-d5f3-4ad6-8b37-16be3dbe57cd

I have highlighted the important part of the article in my opinion below:

The biggest change on the line will be the expected flip-flopping of tackles Veldheer and Humphries. Veldheer was the team’s marquee free agent signing in 2014 and has done a nice job protecting Palmer’s blind-side the past three seasons.

Humphries was the team’s first-round pick in 2015 that didn’t play as a rookie, but improved mightily a season ago. He showed enough potential for the coaches to feel comfortable about his ability to take over the crucial left tackle role.

“We’re so fortunate,” Arians said. “We have two left tackles. Most people don’t have any.”

Arians isn’t completely sold on the switch quite yet. Humphries has impressive movement skills for a big man, so in a perfect world he would lock down the left side for years to come, but it won’t happen if Veldheer can’t adequately transition to the right side.

“I want to see (Veldheer) at that position first,” Arians said. “I saw D.J. play right so I’m fine there, but I’d like to see Jared try it.”

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why they into switching when veldheer was fine on the left and Humphries was fine on the right?

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why they into switching when veldheer was fine on the left and Humphries was fine on the right?

Good question. Is Veldheer's contract up after this year? I still wouldn't get it. IMO we are in a one year window with CP.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Execrable? Does that mean crappy in the Stout language? :shrug:

It means very bad.

I would disagree, but he wasnt great. Apparently he plays better at LT than at RT. So, if he can be a really good LT and Veldheer can do both, it makes sense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Execrable? Does that mean crappy in the Stout language? :shrug:

Yes, in English :)

I agree with BRR that he looked better on the left side. Problem is, we have a solid LT already. That leaves us in an awkward place, especially since we don't really have a vet that can step in to play RT.

We're taking a HUGE gamble with our OL heading into the season--unless things change in the draft. Even then, the draft won't get us a vet RT.

Reaction score
You want your best tackle on the QB's blind side & that is Veldheer. I don't understand the move because DJ will be average at best until he becomes more seasoned & who knows how Veldheer will play on the right. We could possibly have two average tackles instead of one above average & one learning so to speak.

Reaction score
Veldheer is a solid LT who looked to be slipping a bit last year. Humphries has the feet and movement skills to be an excellent LT and Veldheer is more of a mauler and theoretically will be better at RT.

I would love nothing more than to have 2 pro bowl tackles if it works out that way. My concern is Palmer's blindside. We can't afford to have him get hit all of the time while DJ is still green.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love nothing more than to have 2 pro bowl tackles if it works out that way. My concern is Palmer's blindside. We can't afford to have him get hit all of the time while DJ is still green.

Humphries shouldn't be green at this point and the struggles he had at RT were because of the position switch and how young he was. I don't want to jinx Palmer but he is a lot tougher then many give him credit for. I think Humphries gives up fewer sacks and hits at LT this year then Veldheer did last year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries shouldn't be green at this point and the struggles he had at RT were because of the position switch and how young he was. I don't want to jinx Palmer but he is a lot tougher then many give him credit for. I think Humphries gives up fewer sacks and hits at LT this year then Veldheer did last year.

Of course. Veldheer started 11 games at LT while Humphries started 2. DJ was hurt the last three games of the season.

I'm not comfortable locking down Humphries as a LT with that small of a sample.

RINGLESS

Veteran
Reaction score
Of course. Veldheer started 11 games at LT while Humphries started 2. DJ was hurt the last three games of the season.

I'm not comfortable locking down Humphries as a LT with that small of a sample.

When push comes to shove, they will know who is going to have success where by the end of the pre-season. If DJ is a liability at the LT spot, then they will simply move Veldheer back to that spot. The blindside doesn't have the same meaning it did 10 years ago either. There are no premier rushers from both sides. Von Miller rushes from the right side for example

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good question. Is Veldheer's contract up after this year? I still wouldn't get it. IMO we are in a one year window with CP.

2018 will be the final year of Veldheer's contract, and cutting him (which the Cardinals won't do because they will have plenty of cap space next offseason) would save them 7mil against the cap.

I think putting Humphries at LT is the right move. He has youth on his side, showed he could play the position, and will be the long term answer at left tackle for the Cardinals.

After struggling at the left tackle position for so many years it just makes sense to take advantage of the opportunity to setup your "LT for the next 10 years". Just one of the more important positions in today's NFL and to not have to worry about it is an advantage going forward.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let the Games Begin:

The 2 OT's will have ample opportunity to sort things out on the practice and preseason fields.

Consider it an unexpected but pleasant luxury.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one slightly concerned that after sustaining a concussion in week 24 last year, Humphries missed the remainder of the season? Was it just because we were out of contention?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All the discussion here is good. I think that the Cards are semi-trying to salvage D.J. Humphries, who was bad at RT. He was fine in a very limited sample size at LT. Veldheer is a pro who should be able to make the transition to the other side. If it doesn't work, then you've learned something about both players.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the discussion here is good. I think that the Cards are semi-trying to salvage D.J. Humphries, who was bad at RT. He was fine in a very limited sample size at LT. Veldheer is a pro who should be able to make the transition to the other side. If it doesn't work, then you've learned something about both players.

Agreed and moving Veldheer back would seem to be an easy move if needed so we might as well try it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm asking the following question for no other reason than to stir the pot -

Hasn't the whole "blind-side" aspect of pass pro become passe - as more offensive teams waggle their QB's to the left more often and more defensive units shoot pass rushers from their left or strong side?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm asking the following question for no other reason than to stir the pot -

Hasn't the whole "blind-side" aspect of pass pro become passe - as more offensive teams waggle their QB's to the left more often and more defensive units shoot pass rushers from their left or strong side?

No... getting hit from behind still causes more turnovers and injuries on QB's than getting hit from the front....because the QB can see the hit coming.

defenses have adjusted to the "stud LT" by moving rushers around...it was to be expected.

If DJ looks as if he is going to be a stud LT Keim needs to lock him down early. Lets not create the next huge FA contract. instead, sign him before his rookie contract expires to a more team friendly contract

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No... getting hit from behind still causes more turnovers and injuries on QB's than getting hit from the front....because the QB can see the hit coming.

defenses have adjusted to the "stud LT" by moving rushers around...it was to be expected.

If DJ looks as if he is going to be a stud LT Keim needs to lock him down early. Lets not create the next huge FA contract. instead, sign him before his rookie contract expires to a more team friendly contract

I disagree. No need to rush to lock into a long term overpaid mediocre LT if he is in fact mediocre. On the flip side, If DJ proves to be a top level LT, then pay him his deserved top level pay.

you have to remember that with Fitz and CP gone next year, money wont be an issue. In fact, we will have so much $$$ to burn, that we have to be careful about overpaying guys who dont deserve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard