A Football Life: Bruce Arians - Friday 9p on NFL network

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Sweet was the segment where Michael Bidwill explains what he was looking for in a head coach. He said (paraphrased): "I was looking for a coach with extensive NFL experience, someone who was very good with quarterbacks and someone who would hold the players accountable."

Arians:

Extensive NFL Experience: :)

Very Good with QBs: :)

Holds Players Accountable: :)

Michael Bidwill's Vision: :):newcards:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I find it pretty humorous that the Bears passed on BA because of his insistence of bringing Bowles with him. :D

:

Although I remember many of us were not happy that Ray Horton was let go in favor of Todd Bowles.

I think maybe this is an example of Mike B maturing as an owner-- with Whis, he insisted on Whis keeping Clancy Pendergast.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Fantastic film. I kept getting stuff in my eyes...

I did not realize the Bowles was such an Arians disciple. I am now pulling for the Jets in the AFC!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome.

Two things.

What does if feel like to be the coolest head coach in the NFL?

And when MB said during his interview he dropped the F bomb 3 times in 1 sentence....a noun, an adjective and a verb....that's pretty good!

Thank you Chicago for passing on this guy!

Reaction score
I'd be just as interested in seeing something like "A day in the life of an NFL coach"

I guess they would have to be workaholics and extremely driven individuals.... 70-80 hours a week?? I'm just wondering what all they have to do that consumes so much time.
I get the whole breaking down film, seeing the opponents tendencies, making a game plan..etc. I'd like to see it laid out so I could better understand the inner workings of what it takes to do the job.
Then you should enjoy the part where Arians talks not understanding coaches that work 70-80 plus hours per week; sleep in the office, etc. He said, he tells his staff that they better not miss events in their families lives, recitals, graduations, games, plays, etc. This is a man that understands what the important things in life are.

I wasn't raised in York, PA, but I've lived here the past 22 years. My daughter graduated from York Catholic, the very school that expelled him. My youngest son is there now. He comes back to York often & speaks at various functions here. This is Steeler country, and his buddies here come dressed in black & gold to his functions. He sees me in my Cardinal gear & always comes over to speak with me. He couldn't believe there was a 50 year Cardinal fan in York, PA. He's an awesome dude!!
Love this!!!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good show. Rehashed a lot of stuff I have read but good to listen to, see old video and etc

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this this morning. They did a great job and love the demeanor of BA. So glad the Cards landed him.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hesitated to post this, because I really did enjoy it.

But was anyone else thinking.... too soon?

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

They could have sat on it to air, but COY 2 of the last 3 years, 2nd best record in the NFL, and tons of national attention on the Cards games down the stretch seems like an appropriate time.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Was thinking the same thing. He's been in football a very long time though, so perhaps the respect is due. Giving your life to something for that amount of time is...difficult to say the least, especially when you haven't been given the big chair until your later years.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I wasn't raised in York, PA, but I've lived here the past 22 years. My daughter graduated from York Catholic, the very school that expelled him. My youngest son is there now. He comes back to York often & speaks at various functions here. This is Steeler country, and his buddies here come dressed in black & gold to his functions. He sees me in my Cardinal gear & always comes over to speak with me. He couldn't believe there was a 50 year Cardinal fan in York, PA. He's an awesome dude!!

BA has a lot of respect in the Harrisburg/York area. I was in a diner about 2 months ago and saw a guy wearing Cardinal gear so of course I had to go talk to him. He told me he was a Steeler fan until BA got the HC job in AZ and he just had to switch over to being a Cardinal fan to support the local boy.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Awesome.

Two things.

What does if feel like to be the coolest head coach in the NFL?

And when MB said during his interview he dropped the F bomb 3 times in 1 sentence....a noun, an adjective and a verb....that's pretty good!

Thank you Chicago for passing on this guy!

They dropped the line from the show where Michael tell's Steve, after their initial meeting, "I don't think we can send him to speak to the "Little Sister's of the Poor", a Catholic charity that the Bidwill's have supported for years. Occasionally, you'll see them in the owners box.

Go Cards!!!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just watched this last night. Great guy and love how he doesn't tell you what you want to hear. Tells it like it is. It's amazing what coaches go through with moving all over the place. What he had 15 jobs in is football career? Loved watching it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, but the BA line I love that really puts a focus on why he is so awesome is "I ain't coaching for my next job." That means he is grounded, is going to do what he thinks is right because he wants to win, and show HE CAN win, and he's not trying to do things to impress future bosses. This is his last coaching gig, and you know he damn well wants to add a HC Super Bowl to his credentials.

I absolutely love this guy. Hug 'em later.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One other thing that struck me is how fiercely loyal BA is. Anyone that has written off Jerod Powers as the DB that automatically doesn't get resigned should note all the cards that were featured in this piece wearing Colts uniforms. Power's had a prominent roll in BA's successful season in Indy and Drew Stanton, Shipley etc were also featured. I think his history with some of these guys will influence their tenure on the Cards roster. I can also totally see Stanton as one of his coaches when he eventually retires.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finally saw it today. I'm such a huge BA fan not only as a coach, but as a person. He just seems like such a great, down to earth guy. The Cardinals are extremely lucky to have this man.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got done watching it. Definitely recommend it. Really, really enjoyed it. Had no idea about the Todd Bowles thing. Or the kicked-out-of-high-school deal.

Already loved the man. Love him more after seeing his story. So glad Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim saw what they saw in him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson