What's the deal with DJ Humphries?

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO, the only reason the guy is getting a pass right now is because we have a solid frontline with Massie back and Watford being able to step up in his absence. The discussion of "he's a developmental project that will be ready by year 2-3" is moot because first rounders are expected to make an impact immediately. :bang: If we drafted for depth and he couldn't beat out Watford (a traditional G) in preseason, this kid is really not ready...

A small sample size - take a look at his twitter. Not one mention/retweets about the organization or his teammates, and it's all focused on his glory days at UF. This is expected from a kid who's 21 and still has some time to mature, but am I the only one seeing a lack of connection with the team?

https://twitter.com/CashOutHump

I've been thinking about this lately since we are seriously lacking any sort of pass rush and this pick really hampered our D (Stephone Anthony, anyone?). Any word from local press about his development (I don't live in AZ)?

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every year at draft time the battle cry here is always, "draft BPA no matter what instead of drafting for need." The team does that this year and the board is full of posts saying that they should have addressed needs with the first pick.

CardinalMan

Reaction score
The only OT I remember playing the position liked he belonged there in his first year was Walter Jones of the Seahawks. Others take more time, the position takes athleticism and intelligence to be successful. Humphries may take more time because he is a little rawer than others who have been drafted there in the first round.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Huge, Huge disappointment.

To be fair, I didn't think he was the BPA at the point, and now it looks like that is becoming more true as time goes on.

Not only is he costing the Cardinals a roster spot, and money, but he is actually costing the team two roster spots since he should be able to beat our Sowell or Massie or Watford.

Right now this is Brandon Keith all over again. Inactive cheerleader, hyped to be a OT of the future, most likely will bust out, but instead of it being a 7th round pick, it is a 1st round pick.

Horrible. Humphries is the biggest downer about this team outside of Daryl Washington.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see no problems, Goodwin demands precision, good technique and good communication - Humphries is raw and they stated they he would likely not play this year unless he can beat out a vet.

All these articles about how OLinemen coming out in the last decade take longer to transition to the pro game, and we are crying about our last OT when Watford and Massie are playing decent.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We saw happens last year when Carson Palmer goes down with injury. We saw what happens last Sunday when Palmer gets beat up.

The Cardinals took a "not ready to play on Sundays" right tackle in the first round because by the time they drafted in second round they were going to be choosing a "not good enough to play on Sundays" right tackle. It's not only quarterbacks who aren't being developed in these one read and chuck it spread offenses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only OT I remember playing the position liked he belonged there in his first year was Walter Jones of the Seahawks. Others take more time, the position takes athleticism and intelligence to be successful. Humphries may take more time because he is a little rawer than others who have been drafted there in the first round.

Staley jumped in right away. Joe Thomas stepped in right away. Sure it is rare, but not once in a generation rare.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Staley jumped in right away. Joe Thomas stepped in right away. Sure it is rare, but not once in a generation rare.

Jake Long stepped right in and was a Pro Bowler (IIRC). It's somewhat rare to be a monster right out of the gate, but I don't think it's too much to wonder out loud why your #1 pick could be a healthy inactive for 12+ games.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every year at draft time the battle cry here is always, "draft BPA no matter what instead of drafting for need." The team does that this year and the board is full of posts saying that they should have addressed needs with the first pick.

I agree.

I see no problems, Goodwin demands precision, good technique and good communication - Humphries is raw and they stated they he would likely not play this year unless he can beat out a vet.

All these articles about how OLinemen coming out in the last decade take longer to transition to the pro game, and we are crying about our last OT when Watford and Massie are playing decent.

Yep yep yep.

Plus Massie is a FA this coming offseason and has a drinking problem. Watford's ability to move to RT comes as a nice surprise as he has developed nicely for a 4th rd pick from a small school.

Veldheer has been a fantastic acquisition but he isn't an elite LT, a very good one but not elite. What if Humphries has the skill set to become an elite LT?

If Jared goes down for any length of time who fills in for him? Sowell (shudders at the thought) or Massie moves over?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hated the pick then & I still hate it now.

OP
OP
eastcoastSUN

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really hope for the team's sake that I can look back in two years at this thread while DJ is pancaking Quinn or M Bennett and laugh at myself, but that idea in itself seems so far-fetched.

Not arguing the rationale behind taking an OT, just the position he was taken in the first round while neglecting an even bigger need at LB. I am not sold on the concept of using a 1st rounder for a "developmental" project, esp when the guy seems really disconnected with the team and more in tune with his former college team...

The last time we spent a high pick on a developmental project, aka someone who has extreme raw talent and projected to grow into his role...?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There were 4 offensive linemen taken before Humphries in the 1st round. How are they doing so far this year?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/track...ar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round

1) Redskins: Brandon Scherff: Guard: Starting
2) Giants: Ereck Flowers: Guard: Starting
3) Saints: Andrus Peat: Tackle: Backup
4) Bengals: Cedric Ogbuehi: Tackle: Not On Depth Chart | IR with ACL

All of this came from NFL.com and Team Websites...What does this prove? Nothing much.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
If the scouting department and the front office had him ranked as BPA then I am ok with the pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and every year some people here just label whoever pick in the first round as BPA, whether they are or not. There were a lot of questions about Humphries, who apparently never lived up to his billing in college, not to mention was injury prone.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and every year some people here just label whoever pick in the first round as BPA, whether they are or not. There were a lot of questions about Humphries, who apparently never lived up to his billing in college, not to mention was injury prone.

BPA is bull**** it's way too subjective and varies from team to team etc... Nobody knows who the true BPA was until they've actually played in the NFL it's a cop out term.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

He was obviously NOT the BPA at that pick... This is Buster Davis x 1000

CardinalMan

Reaction score
Yes there are a couple of very talented Tackles that can do OK in their first year. Others that are drafted are put in because of necessity - but they struggle. If you look at the weak olines of the Rams and Seahawks for example that is what you see.

Also the Forty Niners had a lot of 1st round picks a few years ago and they took some Oline men but it took them a couple of years or more to become effective.

To me the two best OTs were Walter Jones and Johnathon Ogden both hall of famers

Playing OT requires superior intelligence in addition to athleticism one of only 3 positions requiring that level of intelligence all on offense.

I have link to NFL player specs but can't post it because post count is less than 20. Silly rule have not seen that on any other forum.

CardinalMan

Reaction score

Both good but as I said Walter Jones and also Johnathan Ogden looked like pros on their first game I have not seen any that I think are as good subjective opinion of course. Both Hall of Famers on first ballot. Some OTs are drafted and played their first year out of necessity but still takes time to develop.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Levi Brown actually looked respectable from day 1 and regressed as years went by. Most 1st round tackles should be able to play during their first 16 games. This guy was advised not to come out and the front office still took him. Talk about a gamble

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Levi Brown actually looked respectable from day 1 and regressed as years went by. Most 1st round tackles should be able to play during their first 16 games. This guy was advised not to come out and the front office still took him. Talk about a gamble

I'm not too imprerssed with BASK's drafting of developmental players as all of them appear to be BUSTS:

• Logan Thomas
  • Voldemort Nicked-glass
  • DJ Humphries.

Who else am I missing?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson