Rockies at Dbacks Series

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're talking about teams pitching to Trumbo and how many walks he draws.

My post was about Trumbo's role in teams pitching or not pitching to Goldy.

Yes, because they're directly related.

Goldy is putting up stats that we know he is capable of regardless of who is hitting behind him.

Your argument is based on the idea that teams are forced to pitch to Goldschmidt because they are weary of facing Trumbo, that Trumbo's presense povides "protection" from Goldy being pitched around. That idea has been shown this year to be utter nonsense. Yes, its nice that Trumbo has been able to put the ball in play at a rate higher than his career average. Has that in any way translated to teams pitching differently to Goldschmidt? Abolsutely not.

Even as we were arguing about it Goldy came up to bat, the Rockies proceeded to walk him in order to pitch to Trumbo. That is the opposite of protection and its something we've seen several times already in this first month. Teams want to pitch to Trumbo. Its great that he is putting up decent numbers at the moment but this idea that Goldy is the great benefactor of this requires you to completely ignore that strategy taking place on a nightly basis.

No teams are weary of facing Trumbo.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, because they're directly related ... No teams are weary of facing Trumbo.
Four posts have agreed with mine. Yours dissents.

I respect your opinion. 'Hope you respect our five. :)

hafey2

Rookie
Reaction score
Lineup protection is a fallacy and has been shown to be so empirically.

Join modernity old man

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Four posts have agreed with mine. Yours dissents.

I respect your opinion. 'Hope you respect our five. :)

I'm not sure it can even be called opinion. The facts bear out that teams have STILL been pitching around Goldy to attack Trumbo. Its the opposite of protection.

And besides, the other posts agreed that Trumbo's production would need to be replaced (which is an argument with merit), not that he has been providing imaginary protection to Goldy, which he absolutely has not.

And looks like I got some votes too! :D