Patrick Peterson: I’ll show I’m the best in the NFL against Megatron

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson: I’ll show I’m the best in the NFL against Megatron

Although Lions-Cardinals is nowhere near the NFL’s best game on Sunday, that game will feature one of the NFL’s best individual matchups when Lions receiver Calvin Johnson is covered by Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson.

In fact, to hear Peterson tell it, the only better individual matchup in all the NFL than Peterson vs. Megatron is the one that happens in Cardinals practice, when Peterson covers teammate Larry Fitzgerald.

I think I am the best cornerback in the league right now,” Peterson told reporters in a conference call this week. “You know, me and Calvin, we’re the same caliber players.”

But Peterson doesn’t consider Johnson the best receiver in the league right now.

He’s second in my book behind Larry,” Peterson said.

The Cardinals will surely not leave Peterson one-on-one with Johnson all day on Sunday, but that’s what Peterson says he wants.

“I would like to go one-on-one as much as I can,” Peterson said.

Peterson is one of the NFL’s best young players, but when it comes to going one-on-one against Megatron, he may want to be careful what he wishes for.

Peterson not only talked the talk but he walked the walk. Well done Patrick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DRC is an up-and-down cornerback. He is a lousy tackler, but then so is William Gay IMO. If DRC had PP21's dedication and competitive desire, his upside would be outstanding. He flashes greatness, but just doesn't do it consistently. And he is a serious liability in run defense.

In the Cardinals scheme, he would be a 3rd or 4th cornerback who comes in on nickle or dime packages. He'll always have an NFL job, but sadly, he doesn't seem to have the desire or work ethic to be an elite NFL CB IMO.

I guess I was hoping that playing for Horton would have motivated him. ANd playing with PP another great athlete might have motivated him too.

But maybe not he probably is who he is no matter what scheme or coach.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I watch a lot of philly games because of my buddy. If DRC is elite I got land to sell you Russ. The guy picked of rookie Weeden 2 times in the first game of the year. I said at the time he will get one more all year if he's lucky. So far I'm spot on. He gets thrown on pretty often IMO. Too often. He is not a shutdown corner in any sense of the word even by today's standards.

NEWSFLASH

Shane admits Cardinals blew a first round draft pick! :p

Seriously though DRC did what we needed him to do in 2008 and 2009 and was valuable enough to get us a Qb. Not his fault that QB is injury prone. I got nothing against DRC and except when his team plays us have no reason to bag on him. Also Peterson weighs 36 pounds more than DRC. No way they can be the same style of CB.

Great that we drafted a guy 6'0" 219lb CB that can run and cover like a 6'2" 183 lb guy.

Peterson, Washington, Campbell, Acho, Medium Dan... dang we have the core for a great defense for years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Surprising how one sided the talent is on the Cardinals.

Three ready for prime time young players in PP21, Campbell, and Washington. Two older former pro bowl players in Dockett and Wilson. And some solid second tier players like Sam Acho and Kerry Rhodes.

Meanwhile on offense we have Larry Fitzgerald and.....

Only Andre Roberts even gets to the level of Acho and Rhodes.
Considering the whole offense relies on the QB doing his job it really shouldn't be surprising that the offense doesn't seem to have many good players. When/if this team gets a good QB guys like Housler, Roberts, Floyd, Beanie and even Fitz will all look a lot better. Right now the lack of solid QB is allowing for teams to stack the box on almost every snap and bracket Fitz at the same time. If this team had a good QB teams would be forced to respect our passing game and thus stop stacking the box all the time. Our running game would improve dramatically and the talented receivers that this team has would look a lot better as well.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
agreed. Flyd had a good game though. Hopefully it's an indication that he gets the offense and will continue to grow and get better. I would also like to see Acho and Scho become consistent. IMO, Rhodes contributes MUCH more than either of those 2. Toler looks like he's coming around too. Been noticing him more and more

lmao. You're nuts
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/25/snapshot-nfl-passer-rating-allowed-cornerbacks/
comparing individual stats between those top 4 (Webb only played 6 games) he is #1 in INTs (#2 in the entire NFL), #3 in tackles (#1 in solo tackles), he was bottom of the list for PDs though (#12 in the entire NFL). All in all though, I'd say I'm far from unimpressed considering he's only in his second year

and the best indication that he IS as good as they say, not a single WR, not a single opposing coach, had anything bad to say about him

Can't measure a CB on these stats. Have to evaluate games and situation instead. Int and tackles are not much worth in comparison. For example you can get many ints like arrington did last year, but still get burned alot. Or deangelo hall in some of his "best" seasons. And tackles are even worse. Related alot to the scheme. In addition, you rack them up, the more you are getting beat, ironic stat, i would say at least. Look at that list more carefully. You think those guys are really 1,2 and 3 and the rest are the best performing in NFL today? I dont think so. Some mediocore players atop of those kinds of lists. Some good ones as well. Because they are based on the stats that dont reveal football situation and assignments.

For illustration, You cant say Peterson was covering CJ well, just because of the one play where Stafford made the mental mistake and inaccurate throw. It's completely on Stafford and not on PP or CJ. One more example of not looking at stats too much...

Peterson is not shutting down anyone so far. Yes, madness, for not getting someone else with that pick. When you pick a CB so high, even solid CB play, is like getting a bust. You expect dominant shutdown performances. Its obvious he is not even close to being that player.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't measure a CB on these stats. Have to evaluate games and situation instead. Int and tackles are not much worth in comparison. For example you can get many ints like arrington did last year, but still get burned alot. Or deangelo hall in some of his "best" seasons. And tackles are even worse. Related alot to the scheme. In addition, you rack them up, the more you are getting beat, ironic stat, i would say at least. Look at that list more carefully. You think those guys are really 1,2 and 3 and the rest are the best performing in NFL today? I dont think so. Some mediocore players atop of those kinds of lists. Some good ones as well. Because they are based on the stats that dont reveal football situation and assignments.

For illustration, You cant say Peterson was covering CJ well, just because of the one play where Stafford made the mental mistake and inaccurate throw. It's completely on Stafford and not on PP or CJ. One more example of not looking at stats too much...

Peterson is not shutting down anyone so far. Yes, madness, for not getting someone else with that pick. When you pick a CB so high, even solid CB play, is like getting a bust. You expect dominant shutdown performances. Its obvious he is not even close to being that player.

Wow talk about a hater! Only every NFL announcer ex coaches people in NFL hierarchy and countless people around here disagree. You must be the right one.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Considering the whole offense relies on the QB doing his job it really shouldn't be surprising that the offense doesn't seem to have many good players. When/if this team gets a good QB guys like Housler, Roberts, Floyd, Beanie and even Fitz will all look a lot better. Right now the lack of solid QB is allowing for teams to stack the box on almost every snap and bracket Fitz at the same time. If this team had a good QB teams would be forced to respect our passing game and thus stop stacking the box all the time. Our running game would improve dramatically and the talented receivers that this team has would look a lot better as well.

Just more excuses. Our WRs aren't very good outside of Fitz. Our RBs aren't very good no matter who is QB. Our offensive line talent is bottom of the barrel. Our QBs are horrendous.

Floyd is a rookie so the jury is out on him as well as Massie and Potter but Housler? Beanie? Snyder? Colledge? Sendlein? King? Doucet? None of those guys even approach the talent level of Peterson, Washington, Campbell, Wilson, and Rhodes. Sherman is close but only plays half the time.

And of course the QBs are the worst in the NFL.

Lights

Reaction score
Just more excuses. Our WRs aren't very good outside of Fitz. Our RBs aren't very good no matter who is QB. Our offensive line talent is bottom of the barrel. Our QBs are horrendous.

Floyd is a rookie so the jury is out on him as well as Massie and Potter but Housler? Beanie? Snyder? Colledge? Sendlein? King? Doucet? None of those guys even approach the talent level of Peterson, Washington, Campbell, Wilson, and Rhodes. Sherman is close but only plays half the time.

And of course the QBs are the worst in the NFL.

I do think Housler has the potential to be very good. He was very raw coming out of college and still has a lot of upside. But with any player will he actually reach that potential. It's too early to tell. The rest of those guys, yeah not happening.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I do think Housler has the potential to be very good. He was very raw coming out of college and still has a lot of upside. But with any player will he actually reach that potential. It's too early to tell. The rest of those guys, yeah not happening.

I think he's an ok player. Just nothing special. He can't block at all and so is a liability as a TE. He's nowhere near the physical talent of a Vernon Davis or Tony Gonzales or Jimmy Graham. Probably would be better just being a Wide Receiver.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Housler has been one of our best weapons for our non QBs. If we had a great QB Houseler and Roberts would be shining with fitz. Floyd would like have a ton more grabs too. All of them are good, our problems are elsewhere.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think he has a single good game yet as s CB. He has been a bust so far. Calvin won that matchup by a mile. In fact, every number 1 has won it from Hartline, Crabtree to Calvin. Its clear that he is not the shutdown corner he was supposed to be for that pick. He has been just better than mediocore so far. And even that is helped alot by the scheme and Hortons A gap pressures.

He should talk less and play better.

The best defensive players are IMO campbell and washington
Bump

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think he's an ok player. Just nothing special. He can't block at all and so is a liability as a TE. He's nowhere near the physical talent of a Vernon Davis or Tony Gonzales or Jimmy Graham. Probably would be better just being a Wide Receiver.

I think I miss the hell out of this poster :notworthy:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson