Andre Roberts blurb

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports are all over the board on this guy. If he has all the tools to play in the NFL right away -- the "hands, speed, balance and skill after the catch" -- then why wasn't he more highly regarded?

I hope he's as good as everyone is saying, I just have my doubts.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Reports are all over the board on this guy. If he has all the tools to play in the NFL right away -- the "hands, speed, balance and skill after the catch" -- then why wasn't he more highly regarded?

As long as he can field a punt, I don't care.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
I was really high on this kid for a while after seeing some footage of him before the snr bowl. I picked him in my Cards mock a couple weeks before the draft but had him going to us in the 6th because i thought his late rise would be too late for him to really shut up the board. I believe that the main reason why he didnt go earlier is largely due to him coming from a very small school and hadnt really caught the nation's eye until the snr bowl and combine. Id've personally rated him in the top 5 wide receivers in the draft probably just behind Thomas and Bryant and ahead of Tate. I think he will be a better player than Tate in the long run.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because he played for The Citadel.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Because he played for The Citadel.

Bingo.

He also has only good, not great speed and is a bit smallish.

So is Steve Breaston, and Roberts is a better prospect right now than Stevie was coming out. From the numbers and footage I've seen of Roberts, I'm really rooting for the guy. Probably my favorite overall draft pick, since I have family from the Columbia, SC area.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

Being from the Citadel, he was not seen by many scouts used to covering players for draft consideration. We had a scout team that does wonders in finding these kids.

One other thing I liked about him is his freakish ability to suddenly make a right turn when he is going down the field. He is uncanny about leaving guys standing while he finds the open seam this way. Don't know how he does it, but watch some film on his return skills and you will be amazed.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
One other thing I liked about him is his freakish ability to suddenly make a right turn when he is going down the field. He is uncanny about leaving guys standing while he finds the open seam this way. Don't know how he does it, but watch some film on his return skills and you will be amazed.

Couldnt agree more. He is one of the best at escaping coverage and has so many little tricks to fool defensive backs that im very comfortable with having him as a slot receiver to start with but i think the guy has the potential to be a very good starting receiver. He can also replace Boldin in the role of primary YAC reicever as he also has an uncanny ability to bounce off tackles and run very well with the ball after the catch. I think he is gonna be this years small school gem.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have said before, I would rather take a flyer on a small school kid than waste a pick on these overhyped kids from the "big name programs" (i.e Florida, Texas, Notre Dame, etc...). I had no idea who guys like Hightower, Antonio Smith and Breaston were when they were first drafted. Even though Breaston was from Michigan, he was an unheralded player coming out.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited to watch this kid. His size and precise route running skills will be great in the slot and he looks great as a PR. Coming from the Citadel, I'm sure he has great discipline as well... Seems like Whis' type of player which is good enough for me

Reaction score
Bingo.

So is Steve Breaston, and Roberts is a better prospect right now than Stevie was coming out. From the numbers and footage I've seen of Roberts, I'm really rooting for the guy. Probably my favorite overall draft pick, since I have family from the Columbia, SC area.
Yeah, you said that...

:trout:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

really? Because I was thinking that it might be because he has only good, not great speed and is a bit smallish.

I also thought you might really be rooting for the guy, since you have family from the Columbia, SC area.

;)

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
seeing his punt return highlights has me excited alone. let alone him being perfect in the slot.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more. He is one of the best at escaping coverage and has so many little tricks to fool defensive backs that im very comfortable with having him as a slot receiver to start with but i think the guy has the potential to be a very good starting receiver. He can also replace Boldin in the role of primary YAC reicever as he also has an uncanny ability to bounce off tackles and run very well with the ball after the catch. I think he is gonna be this years small school gem.

I can't hardly wait until I see Fitz, Breaston, and Roberts in trips with Roberts in the slot. All three are faster than Doucett, and it will be fun to see what happens with this set. We should stretch some defenses to their limits.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Please change Roberts' speed from good to very good.

4.6 slow
4.5 average
4.45 good
4.4 very good
<4.4 great

That's how I look at it. Steve Breaston and now Roberts are our receivers with good speed, while Fitz and Doucett are average. Jerry Rice was in the slow category, but the guy ran the same speed in shorts as he did in pads.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Krang, much too narrow a base. You believe a tenth of a second (4.5 vs. 4.4) is the difference between good and very good? You say tomato, and I'll say tomato.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

because he played at the Citadel...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because he played at the Citadel.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm thinking because he played at the Citadel.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world was this guy drafted as high as the third round coming out of a school like Citadel?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson