Sean Weatherspoon vs. Sean Lee

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hypothetically, lets assume that Arizona has decided that they are set at the outside linebacker position (I'm not convinced that they are) and don't feel that any NT outside of Dan Williams is worthy of the 26th selection. Also, the Cards are ready to roll with either Herman Johnson or Brandon Keith at the right tackle position. If all these are indeed true, then it would seem obvious that the position of choice in round #1 will be the inside linebacker position assuming that someone they have highly rated is on the board.

Let's also assume that there is no chance that the #1 guy (Rolando McClain) will be there when we pick. If these scenerio's play out (set at outside backer, only willing to take Williams at NT, ready to roll with Johnson or Keith at RT, ILB is the biggest need, and Rolando McClain is long gone) than I think the 2 guys that will be highest on our board at #26 will be Sean Weatherspoon and Sean Lee.

Most draft guides will list Weatherspoon as a higher rated prospect than Lee. Most will say that Weatherspoon is a better all around athlete than Lee. Most will say, however, that Lee is the most versatile and most NFL ready to play specifically the WILB in a 3-4 defense. Every draft guide I have seen actually has Weatherspoon listed as a top outside linebacker prospect and a guy who is best served to play the weakside in a 4-3 defense. Lee on the other hand is considered NFL ready to play on the inside in a 3-4 defense.

Weatherspoon vs. Lee (Tale of the tape)

Height: Weatherspoon 6'1'' Lee 6'2''

Weight: Weatherspoon 239 lbs. Lee 236 lbs.

Speed: Weatherspoon 4.62 Lee 4.71

So physically it appears that Weatherspoon is a superior prospect. Both guys are considered high character and high football IQ players. Both are highly respected by their college teammates and coaches. Both have been very productive in top football conferences.

I would lean toward Weatherspoon because he appears to have more of the wow factor and upside potential, but Lee appears to be a safer selection because he is considered more of a true inside linebacker. On Friday's Path to the Draft "Draft Buzz" they mentioned that Lee is a guy who can step into a starting inside linebacker position from Day #1 because of his great instincts and football intelligence.

The draft is going to be fun!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would lean Lee because we could maybe get him in the second round.

1st Terrence Cody - NT
2nd Sean Lee/Daryl Washington - ILB/Bruce Campbell - OT/Jimmy Graham - TE/Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp - OLB
3rd Brandon Spikes - ILB
3rd Javier Arenas -CB
4th Jordan Shipley/Jacoby Ford - WR
6th Cirion Black - OG
7th Micah Johnson - ILB

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I have been watching more and more tapes of these ILB and I like Weatherspoon the least. Love McClain, and I am really growing on Lee and Washington. Lee is a natural leader and dare I say Pat Tillman type with his work ethic. I watched a half dozen videos and games on him and found out when he tore his ACL in 2008, he was the guy all season firing up the defense before the game and coaching younger guys in game in his plain clothes. Thats unheard of.

Also the fact that it takes 2 years to fully recover from an ACL makes him even more attractive.

And I REALLY love Washington. That guy absolutely explodes to the ball and shows good diagnosis of a play in game.

I would be happy going for BPA in the front 7 or at OT and getting Washington in the 2nd. He looks alot better on tape to me then Weatherspoon.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The mocks are starting to get a bit clearer, and from what I gather... Weatherspoon won't be there at #26.

So is Lee #26 worthy?

Consensus seems to be "no".

But, I somehow doubt that he's around when we pick in the second round. If the team has him high on their board, we may try to move up in the second.

Another scenario is if Clausen drops or some teams are enamoured by either McCoy or Tebow at the end of the first, we may be involved in a trade down that offers an upper tier 2nd rounder that gets us Lee.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mocks are starting to get a bit clearer, and from what I gather... Weatherspoon won't be there at #26.

So is Lee #26 worthy?

Consensus seems to be "no".

But, I somehow doubt that he's around when we pick in the second round. If the team has him high on their board, we may try to move up in the second.

Another scenario is if Clausen drops or some teams are enamoured by either McCoy or Tebow at the end of the first, we may be involved in a trade down that offers an upper tier 2nd rounder that gets us Lee.

I agree. If a player is not absolute lock I would prefer to trade down.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
I would lean Lee because we could maybe get him in the second round.

1st Terrence Cody - NT
2nd Sean Lee/Daryl Washington - ILB/Bruce Campbell - OT/Jimmy Graham - TE/Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp - OLB
3rd Brandon Spikes - ILB
3rd Javier Arenas -CB
4th Jordan Shipley/Jacoby Ford - WR
6th Cirion Black - OG
7th Micah Johnson - ILB

I actually would be quite happy with this draft even though the consensus is shifting towards Cody dropping out of the first and possibly out of the 2nd. If we get a combo of Cody and Lee id be very happy. The only thing i would be disatisfied with in this draft is Spikes at third. That guy's draft stock has plummeted and i would not like us to touch him before the fourth. I really like the Ford, Black and Johnson picks in particular. Johnson would be a steal in the 7th IMHO.

Reaction score
I would lean toward Weatherspoon because he appears to have more of the wow factor and upside potential, but Lee appears to be a safer selection because he is considered more of a true inside linebacker. On Friday's Path to the Draft "Draft Buzz" they mentioned that Lee is a guy who can step into a starting inside linebacker position from Day #1 because of his great instincts and football intelligence.
And I would choose Lee, by your same reasoning...

I wouldn't be unhappy if the pick is Weatherspoon, but Lee is simply as much of a "sure-thing" as they come. He won't necessarily WOW you, but he is fundamentally sound, and always where he is supposed to be. I think his steadiness would help solidify the inconsistency of the Cardinals defense.

Then again, I am a PSU homer... ;)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I actually would be quite happy with this draft even though the consensus is shifting towards Cody dropping out of the first and possibly out of the 2nd. If we get a combo of Cody and Lee id be very happy. The only thing i would be disatisfied with in this draft is Spikes at third. That guy's draft stock has plummeted and i would not like us to touch him before the fourth. I really like the Ford, Black and Johnson picks in particular. Johnson would be a steal in the 7th IMHO.

What consensus are you referring to?

Most of what I've read in the past week postulates that he won't get past San Diego in the first.

Spikes is dropping based on his 40 time, not his on tape ability. We'd be darn lucky if he's available in the third. I somehow doubt he'll still be on the board.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Holian:
For your measurables-
Weatherspoon's reach is 31 1/4". He has 10 1/4" hands.
Lee's reach is 32". He has 8 3/4" hands.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Lee...I just don't remember much LBers from PSU panning out lately.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Lee...I just don't remember much LBers from PSU panning out lately.

Both Posluszny and Connor have been pretty injured throughout their NFL careers, but I don't think that should be an indictment of Lee's potential.

Reaction score
Both Posluszny and Connor have been pretty injured throughout their NFL careers, but I don't think that should be an indictment of Lee's potential.
They are all fundamentally sound. Basically, there haven't been any LB's from PSU that could be written off as busts. I will agree that Dan Connor has been less than hoped for in Carolina though. Not sure what is going on there...

But Posluszny is excellent, how could one think, "he hasn't panned out". Yes, he had a major injury his rookie year. But played 16 games last year (110 tackles, 1 int and 1 FF) and 12 this season (111 tackles, 3 Int, 3 FF - in 12 games). I take that production any year!

I will say that I don't expect Lee to be as good as Posluszny. But he won't be a bust for sure.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Very cool stuff, binkar, thanks! Man, I hope there's some way we can draft this kid! That JoePa stuff really got me fired up for football again.

True story. When I was at Penn State, I tried out for the football team. Now, I knew that however strong I was, I was slow as molasses and would never be a positional player for the team. I was, however, a hell of a long snapper, and that's what I went out for. The old punter Craig Fayak worked out myself and one other guy at long snapper. Afterwards, he told us both we had been outstanding (we had been) and that we would have both been invited to practice...but...they already had their long snapper lol

The highlight of the experience was just before we went into the practice dome, when the legend himself, JoePa stepped out. He said, 'Good luck guys, I wish we could bring all of ya to camp.' Damn, but that fired me up. I was still slow as molasses when, to my horror, I had to do agility drills as well, but I was fired up :D

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
But Posluszny is excellent, how could one think, "he hasn't panned out". Yes, he had a major injury his rookie year. But played 16 games last year (110 tackles, 1 int and 1 FF) and 12 this season (111 tackles, 3 Int, 3 FF - in 12 games). I take that production any year!

those look similar to the "easily replaceable" numbers Dansby puts up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Of course, Lee was injured for much of his college career. Caveat emptor.

That's why he won't be drafted in the first round and likely will fall to the Cards with their second round pick.

Reaction score
Of course, Lee was injured for much of his college career. Caveat emptor.

That's why he won't be drafted in the first round and likely will fall to the Cards with their second round pick.
Much? He had a torn ACL and missed his junior year.

I agree that Lee likely will be a second round selection, but I doubt he is still on the board at #58. And it would'nt surprise me to see him selected in the first round either, but it's not likely.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He Cant Stay Healthy He Doesnt Have The Physical Tools .he Comes From A Bad School About Linebacker(lb From Penn State Sucks When They Turn Pro)...weatherspoon Has Everything To Be A Star ..fast Strong Durable,charismatic..he Can Cover He Can Blitz He Can Tackle.a True Leader...

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He Cant Stay Healthy He Doesnt Have The Physical Tools .he Comes From A Bad School About Linebacker(lb From Penn State Sucks When They Turn Pro)...weatherspoon Has Everything To Be A Star ..fast Strong Durable,charismatic..he Can Cover He Can Blitz He Can Tackle.a True Leader...

I have a headache...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

He can't stay healthy? Missed a season from a blown knee, as have many pro's. You fail!

Penn State, a bad LB school? Jack Ham and Penn State's myriad other pro successes disagree. Epic fail!

Weatherspoon is charismatic? Irrelevant fail! (btw, Lee was an assistant defensive coach while out on defense--charisma fail!)

True leader? See the last point. Repeat fail!

I don't mind it when people level criticism at a player or team that I love, as long as it's fair criticism. If we were talking about a QB coming out of Penn State, it'd be hard to argue with you. When you start dissing Linebacker U, and doing so without knowing any real pertinent facts, you run the risk of looking really, really uneducated about football.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson